What's new

Tips and Suggestions for giving my beard a Shape?

Hey guys so I've been growing facial hair since I was 14 year's old.But My facial hair always just ends up looking rough and scraggly. Now, I'm not necessarily against the rough and scraggly look but I want it to be tame,not messy and dead. But no matter what I just can't seem to get my facial hair to look decent. Here's a few pictures of what my facial hair looks like at the moment(This is about 3 weeks in)

So any suggestions?

A few additional questions..

1) Should I keep my neck hair?

2) How exactly am I supposed to brush my facial hair? I used to go straight down but then it just looks flat and not right. Then I started combing it to the side(Starting in the middle of my chin and twoards my ears) which gave it some fluff but it still looked off.

3) Should I pick up beard Shampoo too? I only use Beard conditioner and Beard Balm

4) What type of beard style would go good with the shape of my face?

Those links didn't work so here's the pics

Attachments

• 20170211_230042.jpg
    20170211_230042.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 44
Welcome to the forum! Your beard looks a lot like mine did back when I was around 19 or 20 years old. I answered you questions in blue it the quotes, and drew a few lines on your picks of suggested beard lines. Lines are just suggestions keep as much as you want.
The neck line is the most important line, yours looks good now. You can clean up a few stragglers if you want, just be careful not to move the neck line up. Too high of a neck line starts to look bad real quick.

2) How exactly am I supposed to brush my facial hair? I used to go straight down but then it just looks flat and not right. Then I started combing it to the side(Starting in the middle of my chin and towards my ears) which gave it some fluff but it still looked off. Brush it however you feel it looks best, I mostly brush mine down and in towards the chin. I usually even cut it to a bit of a point. I usually stroke and pull the chin hairs down and in throughout the day. It helps me think. :wink2:

3) Should I pick up beard Shampoo too? I only use Beard conditioner and Beard Balm. I think some products work better or worse for different people. I've always just used regular shampoo and it works fine for me. I rarely use a conditioner, it usually just makes mine more unruly than without.

4) What type of beard style would go good with the shape of my face? What are you trying to go for? I think you could do several different styles from a goatee to a full beard. If you're only three weeks in I think the cheeks will fill in better with more time. Some say to wait up to 3 months before shaping.
20170211_230102_Ink_LI (2).jpg 20170211_230154_Ink_LI.jpg 20170211_230222_Ink_LI.jpg20170211_230042_Ink_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Your beard looks a lot like mine did back when I was around 19 or 20 years old. I answered you questions in blue it the quotes, and drew a few lines on your picks of suggested beard lines. Lines are just suggestions keep as much as you want.
View attachment 760928 View attachment 760929 View attachment 760930View attachment 760933

Cool man! I took the advice of your shapeups and I think it's starting to look like a big improvement over what I had before. But I kind of want to have the hair on my sideburns that kind of leads into a goatee. Should I keep it all the same length? Or should I trim the sidestraps a little shorter then the Goatee?
(These do need some work still just need to make that line a little straighter)

Also I did move up my neck line slightly do you think I went to Far?

Attachments

• 20170212_133631-1.jpg
    20170212_133631-1.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170212_133617-1.jpg
    20170212_133617-1.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20170212_133645-1.jpg
    20170212_133645-1.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 22
Looks good!
You could thin the sideburns a little, if you want. Just go slow, you don't want to take to much. When I change lines I like to give it a day or so before getting too carried away. I usually trim down over the coarse of a weekend or even a week. If your you're going to trim with a trimmer. Comb it against the grain, and out first. Then start with your trimmer on the longest setting, and run it in every direction, before going to a lower setting.

As Troy said, take it easy with the cutting of beard. If you grow tired of it, just don't shave it off too quickly. think about the decision. I once tried to get my beard neat and slipped took a chunk out of one side and couldn't get a good look so had to shave it all, instant regret (6 months beard so not too bad, but still annoying). Also had an off day and just decided that I didn't want a beard. Regret once again.
Just saying that a decision to remove beard should not be taken lightly, alot of time to get it back. Patience and beard go hand in hand sometimes.
Check out the Ducktail style beard.

I'd let the neckline grow in a little further down, but overall your shaping looks good. As for how to trim it, if you are keeping a shorter beard, you can either keep it all the same length or trim the sideburns a little shorter than the goatee area. If you are going for a long beard, I think they look best when the sideburns are moderate in length and the rest is long. As for beard shape, I'd keep it a full beard until the mustache darkens a little (a goat with a light or non-exsistent mustache looks a little funny IMO, but it can be a good look with a beard, especially if you grow the chin out a bit), but after that, you'd probably look good with either a full beard or a goatee.

Hey guys so I've been growing facial hair since I was 14 year's old.But My facial hair always just ends up looking rough and scraggly. Now, I'm not necessarily against the rough and scraggly look but I want it to be tame,not messy and dead. But no matter what I just can't seem to get my facial hair to look decent. Here's a few pictures of what my facial hair looks like at the moment(This is about 3 weeks in)

So any suggestions?

A few additional questions..

2) How exactly am I supposed to brush my facial hair? I used to go straight down but then it just looks flat and not right. Then I started combing it to the side(Starting in the middle of my chin and twoards my ears) which gave it some fluff but it still looked off.

3) Should I pick up beard Shampoo too? I only use Beard conditioner and Beard Balm

4) What type of beard style would go good with the shape of my face?

You have really a nice beard! :001_cool: I also agree with the previous response, the neck hair looks ok in your case but you can change it a bit if you want, however I'm not sure if your general look is nice when you shave it completely :001_huh:
And I think too that in your case different beard styles will be really nice, you can experiment with many of them :001_smile Personally I think that a Van Dyke style like on these examples from stylemann.com can be a good decidion for you :001_cool: I keep this style too and it looks really cool in case of many guys :001_cool:
Smth like on these pics I thinks, they're one of my favourite examples :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

And in case of products... Well if you want, you can try a beard shampoo, however I think that it's enough with that products you've already used :001_smile If they have a high quality and you're satisfied with their effect, than I see no sense in adding one more :001_smile

Top Bottom