What's new

Tipping, hotel housekeeping?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yep. Sadly, with our system, people who live on tips generally don’t get paid sick days. Seems kind second wordly to me.
Agreed again. Sad, but true. Not sure how to fix it, but this is just another of the reasons I never ran for Congress. That and the fact that unlike Bill Clinton, I did inhale, lol.

I try to, regardless of weather or not they've been in, because they do have to come in and tidy up once I'm done in there, still, so. Sometimes I can't though, money is tight nowadays,

I've never understood why here in the states customers are expected to fill in the holes for lousy employers. It has gotten worse over the years also. I have heard so many people in the service industry complain about people that don't tip enough in their opinion. Comments like "If you can't afford to tip appropriately don't go out to eat.". I do tip well based on service but the entitled mentality burns me up. You are not entitled to one cent of my hard earned money, if I decided to give you some then that is my prerogative.

I understand the frustration, but I wouldn't say the problem is their mindset, I would say the problem is the wages paid, minimum wage specifically as that is what they are usually paid. They wouldn't have that mindset if they were paid a proper livable wage.

It seems in chain hotels small tips are pretty common, but don't be an a#####e and cheap out if you are staying at a B&B. They work every aspect of your stay and then make you breakfast and scrub your toilet. if 15% is the norm for a restaurant, then certainly it should be for your B&B host.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
According to Google there is a trend in vouchers for opt out on housekeeping. Usually for environmental reasons but really to help the hotel alleviate overwhelmed housekeeping departments or understaffed ones and to increase profit margins
in my case a dollar a day credit isn't enough to change behavior such that i help increase profit margins

I can't say whether this is still the case but our government set minimum wage for wait staff and the like was lower then the minimum wage for any other occupation.
dave

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I can't say whether this is still the case but our government set minimum wage for wait staff and the like was lower then the minimum wage for any other occupation.
dave
ive learned about a 2 year employment program in the commonwealth that allows youth or maybe anyone to work in Canada for 2 years in many jobs that fall in the tip categories
we had a fantastic young woman as a kayak guide from the uk after the tour i went inside the office and asked to run a tip thru my cc and they gave me cash to give to her. These situations make me feel good about tipping

Top Bottom