What's new

tip of the scale on the pivot side broke, any options?

So after 8 years of shaving with a Magic Razor I found a decent looking vintage straight. On a whim I bought it. I cleaned it up and looked great to me. I am showing it off to the wife and I drop it from counter height. The tip of the scale snapped off. Doesn't affect the pivot and theres plenty to hold the razor but it does seem looser now on the hold. Anyway to mend this little piece back on? It's a Ew Elliot & Co '63'

So I did some searching. Use a little acetone and it seems to have welded back together. I didn't know what to expect and I may have used a little less than enough acetone. Seems pretty sturdy for now. Let's see if it survives amateur honing hour.

Ive been repairing cracked or broke celluloid scales with the cyanoacrylate model glue. Extra thin version. Seems like the breaks leave very clean lines which go back in place easily and only a hair line is visible. I put a piece of wax paper down on a piece of glass so i have a flat surface. Glue up both pieces...put together. Then drip some glue on both sides and sand down smooth. Seems to be holding really well. Ill post a couple pics later when im home

Hard to get a good pic w the lighting but you can see the break line but it holds well amd is sanded flush and smooth
20200226_185008_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom