Can I join.... I have a few tiny brushes
Absolutely! :cornut:

Just make sure their knot sizes qualify:
<18mm = Tiny
18mm to 22mm = Small
23mm to 27mm = Medium
>27mm = Large

NB
That's the actual knot diameter, not its diameter at the top of the handle (which is usually about 2mm bigger).

When Grandpa died in 1965, he left his straight razor and an Ever Ready T100 brush. I used it for many years and was perfectly happy with its' 18mm knot.
Eventually I decided the 100 year old brush needed a rest and went in search of something newer. I got a 20mm synthetic that I still like and use a lot today. The selection of brushes was overwhelming, and I fell prey to members' recommendations for many brushes - all around 26mm knots. I got several in the ensuing years, but it just seemed that the enormous toilet-brush sized brushes were awkward. Apparently my face isn't big enough to merit a floor mop-sized brush. I was wasting way too much soap. 19-20mm brushes were hard to find - especially with my new preference of a longer handle. Those little chintzy "chubby" brushe are apparently made by frugal/stingy makers who apply the minimum part that can still be called a "handle".
I discovered the Yaqi 'Cola' synthetic, and a couple of others, including boars.
My most recent favorite brush is perfectly sized in every way: Maseto Long handle synthetic.
1658727299951.png

When Grandpa died in 1965, he left his straight razor and an Ever Ready T100 brush. I used it for many years and was perfectly happy with its' 18mm knot.
Eventually I decided the 100 year old brush needed a rest and went in search of something newer. I got a 20mm synthetic that I still like and use a lot today. The selection of brushes was overwhelming, and I fell prey to members' recommendations for many brushes - all around 26mm knots. I got several in the ensuing years, but it just seemed that the enormous toilet-brush sized brushes were awkward. Apparently my face isn't big enough to merit a floor mop-sized brush. I was wasting way too much soap. 19-20mm brushes were hard to find - especially with my new preference of a longer handle. Those little chintzy "chubby" brushe are apparently made by frugal/stingy makers who apply the minimum part that can still be called a "handle".
I discovered the Yaqi 'Cola' synthetic, and a couple of others, including boars.
My most recent favorite brush is perfectly sized in every way: Maseto Long handle synthetic.
View attachment 1493700
Is this a tiny brush?

Just curious, as it looks great and I like those handles. IIUC it is stated to be a 26mm knot. Probabely above the handle. But even 19mm is too big to be tiny ;-)
Sorry to have been such a bother - I'd seen previous posts listing brushes in excess of 19mm so itlooked like mine would be OK.

MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION:

Here's a pic of my three favorites (along with a horse hair that I've never used, and my new pet grooming comb):
upload_2017-10-20_22-36-53.png

I've measured them and the statistics are as follows:

Omega 11047 Mixed Midget (50/50 Badger/Boar)
Knot: 22mm
Loft: 45mm
Handle height: 30mm
Total height: 76mm
Weight: 29g

Omega 40033 Mighty Midget (Boar)
Knot: 24mm
Loft: 50mm
Handle height: 36mm
Total height: 86mm
Weight: 31g

Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino (Boar)
Knot: 18mm
Loft: 47mm
Handle height: 42mm
Total height: 89mm
Weight: 20g

I have another Bigger Bambino with a black handle. And I've ordered a Simpsons Duke 1 which is currently on its way to me. :001_smile
From the Simpsons website the D1's statistics are:

Simpsons Duke D1-Pure (Badger)
Knot: 20mm
Loft: 42mm
Handle height: 39mm
Total height: 81mm
Weight: 45g

I'm currently playing around with some "normal size" synthetics, but I can't see that lasting too long as my main love is for my mini boars/badgers.

Sorry to have been such a bother - I'd seen previous posts listing brushes in excess of 19mm so itlooked like mine would be OK.

MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION:

Here's a pic of my three favorites (along with a horse hair that I've never used, and my new pet grooming comb):
upload_2017-10-20_22-36-53.png

I've measured them and the statistics are as follows:

Omega 11047 Mixed Midget (50/50 Badger/Boar)
Knot: 22mm
Loft: 45mm
Handle height: 30mm
Total height: 76mm
Weight: 29g

Omega 40033 Mighty Midget (Boar)
Knot: 24mm
Loft: 50mm
Handle height: 36mm
Total height: 86mm
Weight: 31g

Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino (Boar)
Knot: 18mm
Loft: 47mm
Handle height: 42mm
Total height: 89mm
Weight: 20g

I have another Bigger Bambino with a black handle. And I've ordered a Simpsons Duke 1 which is currently on its way to me. :001_smile
From the Simpsons website the D1's statistics are:

Simpsons Duke D1-Pure (Badger)
Knot: 20mm
Loft: 42mm
Handle height: 39mm
Total height: 81mm
Weight: 45g

I'm currently playing around with some "normal size" synthetics, but I can't see that lasting too long as my main love is for my mini boars/badgers.
Oh no, it is not that. I applied a while ago as a member and was rejected because my brush (11047) was too big. I hoped this beautiful brush would be tiny, so I could get one and reapply. But alas this one is too big too ;-) It has to be less than 18mm.

TBOC SOTD
1939-RFB-G_2022-08-01.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: King C. Gillette (3)
ASL: DURU Limon Kolonya 80°

A super shave. :biggrin:
My RFB wants to join my FBT on the Number One spot on the podium again.

I do wish my Wee Scot wasn't such a SCRITCHMEISTER. It's definitely on par with my Omega Mixed Midget. Other than that they're great little brushes, and lather monsters to boot.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

TBOC SOTD
1939-RFB-Pu_2022-08-03.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 16/47 Silvertip D01
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: 1939 Gillette NEW RFB GT
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (3)
ASL: Duru Limon Kolonya 80°

An excellent shave. :biggrin:
All is well in ZenShaveLand. :sorcerer:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Is the Wee Scot the only readily available, somewhat affordable gateway to tiny brushes? All the others nearly in the range I’ve seen were hulking outward in the 18-20mm sizes.

Is the Wee Scot the only readily available, somewhat affordable gateway to tiny brushes? All the others nearly in the range I’ve seen were hulking outward in the 18-20mm sizes.
I suspect that it may be, Thom.

I'd say if you're interested in tiny brushes, go for it.

Unfortunately Simpson's hair grades tend to be highly variable (in my limited experience). My Wee Scot (Simpson's Best Badger) is MUCH scritchier than two of their PURE Badgers that I've experienced. That said, and having read others Wee Scot experiences, I think I'm in the minority... just a touch of bad luck.

Mine is still a fab little lather monster (it would be perfect without its signature scritch).

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The Wee Scot continues to delight me. Sadly, I do look at other brushes. The only other stock Tiny brush I’ve found is the Simpson KH1 with a 17mm knot. Cute, but not Wee Scot cute. Especially at £67.40 before shipping overseas…

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I cannot believe that I have not posted in this thread before so please consider this as my application for membership. My Simpson Wee Scot:

5.jpg

And the family photo:

20220314_163541.jpg

The Wee Scot is a fantastic brush, it is a delicate and refined, precision lathering tool and I would choose mine over my Chubby 2 Manchurian every time. The Duke 3 and Chubby 1 however are my absolute favourites.

I cannot believe that I have not posted in this thread before so please consider this as my application for membership. My Simpson Wee Scot:

View attachment 1529673

And the family photo:

View attachment 1529688

The Wee Scot is a fantastic brush, it is a delicate and refined, precision lathering tool and I would choose mine over my Chubby 2 Manchurian every time. The Duke 3 and Chubby 1 however are my absolute favourites.
Beautiful Wee One!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just acquired this lovely Patriot which is not much larger than a Wee Scot. Does anyone know anything about this brush as I can find no information?

20221006_151959.jpg

Top Bottom