What's new

Tiny Brush Owners Club: TBOC

What is the size cut-off for Tiny Brushes (Why did I just hear Don Ho singing? ;))? 21mm? 20mm? 19MM?
Unfortunately @rockero, the OP, hasn't been seen since October 2019. :crying:

In his absence I would suggest an ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM of 20mm. But I'd like the other TBOC members to chip in so that EVERYONE agrees. It would definitely be good to have a TBOC Maximum Knot Size Benchmark.

So c'mon guys, let's hear your thoughts on this please. :popc:

EDIT:
I just remembered my Omega 40033 Mighty Midget which has a 22mm knot, and it's 86mm high (total).
Tinies_2017-10-24.jpg

So there are obviously a few more parameters than just knot size to consider. :letterk1:

Last edited:
Fine with that. Just discovered this thread. I love the small brushes these days, although a thicker waist with boars is understandable. 20mm max seems fine with badgers, as they have bloom. But boar and horse hair rest more vertical, allowing for a wider waste if to compensate. My criterion is whether or not the knot will hold enough lather for two passes plus touch-ups. I have been palm-lather for over the past year, so around 1/3 of my face is covered from my palm during the first pass, leaving the rest to the knot. Small works well in this regard, also given the limited surface area in developing things on the palm.

So there are obviously a few more parameters than just knot size to consider. :letterk1:
I agree that there are more parameters to consider, other than knot size. For example, my Fine Classic has a 20mm knot, but its overall height is ~110mm. That's far from tiny. Meanwhile, my Fine Stout has a 24mm knot, but is only ~90mm tall.

When I think "tiny", I envision brushes like the Wee Scot, Mixed Midget, and Maggard 18mm that are ~75mm or shorter. So, we definitely need to have a height cutoff. Maybe 80-85mm.

TINY BRUSH DEFINING PARAMETERS (from post #320 onward):

After having slept on this, the way out of our "What do YOU think?" dilemma came to me. We need a Shaving Brush EXPERT!

Immediately I thought of @Rudy Vey, beaming you up Rudy (please :001_smile)!

Rudy,

Would you guide us as to the maximum parameters of a Tiny Brush? If you would, it would also be great to know what you consider to be the maximum parameters of Small Brushes, and the minimum parameters of Large Brushes. That would help us all to define Tiny, Small, Medium, and Large without so many shades of gray.

Yours hopefully,
Cal

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would categorize the sizes as follows:
tiny: under 18 mm
small: 18-22 mm
medium: 23-27 mm
large: over 27 mm, so the size of 28 and 30 mm for me is in the large class

What I have seen in the 12 years I make brushes is that the preferences have changed from the smaller to the medium and larger sized brushes. Initially, I made a lot of 20 and 22 mm brushes, but then it went up to 24/25 mm and lately I see much more larger brushes ordered. However, most of the ones I make are around 24 mm, so the medium size. There are not too many knot options for tiny brushes, but I have had tiny knots made by Shavemac to make Wee Scot sized brushes.

Fellow TBOCers,

Shall we now agree that all Tiny Brushes must have knots less than 18mm?
If Rudy says so, then I'm okay with it! :thumbup1:

Of course, that means that I'll have to drop out of TBOC. So, farewell, gents! 'Twas fun while it lasted. :001_smile

• Sad
Reactions: Cal
Guys, can you compare Wee Scot and Omega 11047? How do you feel the difference?
I own a Wee Scot and now interested in Omega 11047

Guys, can you compare Wee Scot and Omega 11047? How do you feel the difference?
I own a Wee Scot and now interested in Omega 11047
Here's mine:

FROM THE TOP (Omega 11047 Mixed Midget, left. Simpson Wee Scot, right.)
WeeScot+MixedMidget-TOP_2021-02-22.jpg

FRONT VIEW (Omega 11047 Mixed Midget, left. Simpson Wee Scot, right.)
WeeScot+MixedMidget-FRONT_2021-02-22.jpg

DIMENSIONS
1614027317234.png

I haven't used my Wee Scot that much because, although it's meant to be Best Badger, it's scritchier than my Simpson Pures.

The Mixed Midget is a fantastic lather monster. Definitely scritchy at the outset, but that disappears after ~40 shaves (leaving you with plenty of scrub but no scritch). It's a business brush, not a luxury brush.

If I could have only the Mixed Midget, that would be OK by me. It's a great little brush.

Hi, Guys!

I was wondering if someone could compare Plisson #8 with a tiny brush such as Wee Scot, 11047, Case...
Does the loft in Plisson #8 seem too big in comparison with its knot?

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
proxy.php

Karve CB Gladius SB ‘D’ Plate / Rapira Platinum Lux
Omega 11047 22mm Mixed Midget Badger/Boar Brush
CBL Fusion-Master Barber Dragon’s Pub Shaving Soap
Chiseled‌ ‌Face‌ ‌Ghost‌ ‌Town‌ ‌Barber‌ ‌Aftershave‌ ‌Splash‌

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hi, Guys!

I was wondering if someone could compare Plisson #8 with a tiny brush such as Wee Scot, 11047, Case...
Does the loft in Plisson #8 seem too big in comparison with its knot?

Isn't the #8 listed around 17mm in size? I don't really know where the start point in size is, for a brush to be considered to be "a tiny brush?" I would imagine somewhere around 18-20 mm would be the biggest "tiny brushes?" Most Plisson brushes I see for sale are #12 knots which are 22mm.

I don't really know where the start point in size is, for a brush to be considered to be "a tiny brush?" I would imagine somewhere around 18-20 mm would be the biggest "tiny brushes?" Most Plisson brushes I see for sale are #12 knots which are 22mm.
We asked Rudy for help in categorizing brush sizes.

Here's the outcome (by knot size):

<18mm = Tiny
18mm to 22mm = Small
23mm to 27mm = Medium
>27mm = Large

HERE's his post (#327).

I recently found this club and have been reading through it. This is exactly what I've been looking for!

I have a beard. The brushes I have work great on my neck. But the tops of my cheeks are a bit of a challenge with a normal sized brush. Usually, I take lather from the mug and "finger paint" it on my cheeks. I think a tiny brush is what I'm looking for.

I'm going back to reread this, with pencil and paper in hand.

Reactions: Cal
Had my debut shave with an Omega 599 today and it was simply sublime. I normally find badger knots prickly but this felt wonderful. The small size also made it much easier to be precise with the lather.

I will put it through its paces but I have a sneaky suspicion it may become a favourite.

Top Bottom