What's new

Tiny Brush Owners Club: TBOC

Saturdays are the day when my little guys typically see action.
Today it was the Vie-Long Pony (13120)
It dropped several hairs (I may have been a little too vigorous while loading) but was fun to use.
Having the one with 65% tail hair brings that pleasant bit of scritch.

Aos Brush.jpg

Does the AoS 4-Elements Starter Kit Badger Brush Qualify?

My new custom Shavemac Silvertip D01 landed today. :punk:

Here it is (after its inaugural shampoo) beside my beloved Omega 10086 Bigger Bambino for size comparison:
upload_2018-8-11_18-44-38.png

:001_unsur Where are all you TBOCers hiding?

TBOC SOTD
Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 (16mm knot [measures nearly 18mm at handle opening]) :001_wub:
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: 1945 Knockout
Blade: Feather
ASL: Proraso Red
upload_2018-8-19_16-0-31.png

A great shave and a very luxurious little brush. :punk:

Well, my handle broke. So now my tiny brush has a full size handle. So roughly a 60mm handle + 40mm loft = a good sized brush. Not sure if it's tiny any more.
HPIM0276.JPG

Has anyone tried to cut away at a relatively large (e.g., 22 mm) synth to try to get it into a smaller handle? I'm toying with the idea of buying a 22 mm Synbad knot and trying to create a travel brush with a smaller handle.

Maggard Razors has the 20mm Tuxedo/Black & White for $7.95, which might be the least expensive, good/well made synthetic knot worth trying it out on.

Has anyone tried to cut away at a relatively large (e.g., 22 mm) synth to try to get it into a smaller handle? I'm toying with the idea of buying a 22 mm Synbad knot and trying to create a travel brush with a smaller handle.

I tried it once and it didn’t end well. The knot ended up in the trash. Luckily I was trying with a knot from the bay, so it was less than $10.

Maggard Razors has the 20mm Tuxedo/Black & White for $7.95, which might be the least expensive, good/well made synthetic knot worth trying it out on.

Thanks! I didn't know that Maggard's had a 20mm synthetic knot. I may go this way if I try.

I tried it once and it didn’t end well. The knot ended up in the trash. Luckily I was trying with a knot from the bay, so it was less than $10.

Yes - I'm only planning on using a cheap knot if I try.

TBOC SOTD
Brush:
Tiny Shavemac Silvertip D01 :001_wub:
Soap: Martin de Candre Citrus
Razor: Feather Professional Artist Club SS Kamisori
Blade: Feather ProGuard (3)
upload_2018-8-27_12-1-41.png

That was my third SR shave. Interesting stuff. I'm enjoying the danger of the dark side. :devil:

TBOC SOTD
Brush:
Soap: Vitos Red
Razor: Fatip Butterscotch
Blade: Feather (9)
upload_2018-9-21_21-44-33.png

:001_huh: Where has everyone disappeared to? C'mon guys! :a6:
Actually, I got a Wee Scot in the mail yesterday. Tried it out last night & loved it. Man, is it small. It was nice to finally get one though. I was also waiting and shared it with another here on the forum, but I share it here too. I was able to acquire 4, yes, 1, 2, 3, 4, 16mm finest badger knots. :jump:

:thumbup1:

Do you have any particular handles earmarked for them David?

And of course... DON'T FORGET THAT WE LOVE PICS! :wink2:
I’ll share one of them...

A3E42083-6BE3-48D8-8680-72986DCB54A3.jpeg

The one on the far right is an unknown(to me) brush. Next to it is the new Wee Scot. On the far left is my first brush reknotting. The Star has a 16mm Finest from The Golden Nib.
The one on the far right initially looks like it has a 16.5mm opening. I’ll know for sure once I disassemble it.

TBOC SOTD
Brush:
Soap: BOSC Special Reserve "Citrus+Lavender+Wood"
Razor: Feather Artist Club DX
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (7)
upload_2018-10-17_0-48-41.png

And a group pic with some friends, so they don't feel neglected:
upload_2018-10-17_0-51-23.png

TBOC SOTD

Brush:
Simpson Wee Scot
Soap: BOSC Special Reserve "Citrus+Lavender+Wood"
Razor: RazoRock GC68 [with one shim = GC78]
Blade: BiC Chrome Platinum (7)
upload_2018-10-18_0-8-26.png

What could have been an excellent shave was spoiled by the Wee Scot's scritch. I've obviously been spoiled by my tiny Shavemac which has great backbone, scrub, and the softest of tips.

I took out a magnifying glass to look at the Wee Scot's tips, and sure enough there are numerous black hairs which have clearly been "trimmed." :001_huh:

I’ll share one of them...

View attachment 914122

The one on the far right is an unknown(to me) brush. Next to it is the new Wee Scot. On the far left is my first brush reknotting. The Star has a 16mm Finest from The Golden Nib.
The one on the far right initially looks like it has a 16.5mm opening. I’ll know for sure once I disassemble it.

This is the TBOC Project Brush. I started out with humble beginnings when it got to me.

humble beginnings.jpg

But I had high hopes for it and began to work on it while waiting for the last of my knot options to arrive.

Cleaned and ready.jpg

After removing the old knot, it cleaned up nicely. I did find that I had to open it up just a little.

choices.jpg

The knots to choose from were just a little to big with the glue bump. Synthetic(Frank Shaving), Finest*(TGN), Finest*(TGN)
*These were both noticeably different from each other. The color of the glue, size of the glue bump and even the hair.

great colors.jpg

The ferrule has great color and translucence.
16mm knot should work.jpg

I settled on the one of the 16mm Finest knots.

Loaded.jpg

It slid in there nicely and it is time to begin breaking this stinker in. Yes, it was very, very smelly. ToOBS, Proraso, and Cavendish over the last few days has helped quite a bit.
breaking it in.jpg

For scale. The Star was my first Tiny brush with a 16mm from TGN as well. Now my soap and cream will last forever and I can spend money on razors.

Top Bottom