What's new

Tinnitus

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Mine seems to vary in my perception based on surroundings.
On the scale mentioned above, I can't hear anything except a few spots of very low tones between 3000hz to the top of the scale.
If I'm outside and it is dead quiet, the ringing sounds like a massive amount of crickets, cicadas and small frogs singing at night.
If I'm laying in bed at night and it's quiet, but not dead quiet, it often manifests itself as a distant woman singing a lilting ballad in soprano in a foreign language. Sometimes I'll try to see if I can catch any words, but never have.
The upside is that I've had it for so long that it is "normal" and it really doesn't bother me.
It bothers other people a lot, because some people speak in a tone that is a multiple of a particularly bad frequency for me, and I can see their lips move, but all I get is the teachers voice in Charlie Brown's school - "Mwahh mwah, mwah mwah wmahh!"

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Mrs. AA and I took cars to the car wash yesterday and standing next to the industrial free vacuum ramped up the tinnitus... Must have been the same pitch. Just shrieking in my ears still loud today. Kids, protect those ears; this pain is looking like it's lifetime.

AA

Reactions: ctr

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I had a heart attack a couple years ago and noticed not long after that tinnitus started. During a physical I told the doctor about it and he said there really isn’t anything that can be done. My who also has tinnitus had to go to an ent. He pretty much told her the same thing. I know they are doctors, but has anyone tried anything that even will lessen the ringing?
I've had it for years and all I can say is that you never get used to it. I did watch a video recently where a doctor (PHD) said that micro dosing magic mushrooms worked but I've not tried that so I can't attest to it.

To say again mine has gone from daily to a few times a year :)

look up that tap on the back of the head thing if you have not
Get it when it first starts you might help get rid of it that moment works for me almost every time

Again Diet can play a role look up sugar and tinitus interesting reading for sure as a start and sadly modern diets have way to much sugar in them

also migraines are gone for me another thing I had few times a week totally debilitating

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had it at least since college. For the longest time, it was so faint I would only notice it when it was very quiet (like when I went to bed). It didn't bother me at all. It was almost comforting.

About a year and a half ago, I wound up in a very loud situation that I didn't get out of fast enough. My tinnitus got noticeably worse immediately. It still wasn't too bad, but it was more present.

Then, about a month ago, it suddenly increased. Totally out of the blue. I was just working at my kitchen table. Wham. It was like someone flipped a switch, and it was louder. It drives me crazy at times. I'm working on an appointment with an audiologist, but I'm not terribly confident there's anything that can be done.

That tone generator is pretty cool! It looks like I'm around 6,700 Hz with a sawtooth pattern.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've always had a hearing loss in my left ear, so tinnitus has been with me for most of my life (I'm 75).

To me, it sounds like the slow hiss of air escaping. It is annoying only if I pay attention to it. Mostly, I'm just able to ignore it. Interestingly, wearing a hearing aid in that ear does seem to attenuate the hiss, but doesn't quash it altogether.

I wish I could offer a remedy in lieu of observations, but, alas, it's something I've learned to live with. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones, as I don't know if I could handle a full blown "ringing" in my ears.

I’ve got very bad tinnitus due to a few TBIs, aircraft, explosions, and lots of shooting.

It can be difficult to deal with at times. The VA set me up with tone injector “hearing aids”. They do not amplify any sounds, my hearing is still excellent.

They are computer programmed to the frequency that my tinnitus occurs at, and constantly inject that sound into my ears. That causes my brain to cancel out the sound. It helps a lot.

After setting the baseline frequency and volume in the audiologist sound proof booth, my “hearing aids” have a volume control button that I can adjust to help when it is acting up really bad.

Of course mine broke, so I have an upcoming appointment to see if it’s a programming issue or if I need new ones.

I’m not sure, but I imagine that they are expensive and due essentially the same as the tone generators mentioned already, but mine are transportable and always with me.

Good luck. I feel your pain.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank God I do not have!! But I know it can be excruciating. I had a colleague in Germany whose husband had it extremely bad.
They went to all kind of doctors, real ones and charlatans, but nothing helped him, it got worse over time.
He eventually killed himself as he could not longer take it. He could not sleep anymore, not work anymore, he was in dire conditions. This was some 35 years ago, and I truly hope modern medicine has made some steps toward helping these unfortunate people. But what I read here it does not seem so.

I had a heart attack a couple years ago and noticed not long after that tinnitus started. During a physical I told the doctor about it and he said there really isn’t anything that can be done. My who also has tinnitus had to go to an ent. He pretty much told her the same thing. I know they are doctors, but has anyone tried anything that even will lessen the ringing?
I have tinnitus that started out mild and has become progressively worse over time. There is a large research literature on the subject. There is no cure, but finding out what exacerbates your tinnitus is a good place to start. For me fatigue, salicylates, dehydration, and sugar can aggravate my tinnitus. I am very attentive to wearing earplugs around loud noise. I have good days and bad days. I have learned to live with it over time. Not much more to say.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I did go see an ENT and an audiologist about my tinnitus. To no one's surprise, I have hearing loss in the same range where I hear my tinnitus. As others had mentioned (and as I had discovered on my own), it's just a symptom of that hearing loss (as are some other things such as noise sensitivity).

He said that hearing aids are not an unreasonable option at this point but not really necessary. I'm content to see how this plays out, at least for a little while.

Top Bottom