What's new

Tinnitus

I had a heart attack a couple years ago and noticed not long after that tinnitus started. During a physical I told the doctor about it and he said there really isn’t anything that can be done. My who also has tinnitus had to go to an ent. He pretty much told her the same thing. I know they are doctors, but has anyone tried anything that even will lessen the ringing?

Sorry if this doesn’t help, but I picked up tinnitus after a head impact I my early 20’s, over 2 decades ago.

Didn’t get a sense from UK healthcare anything significant could be done about it.

Suffered insomnia and other issues for a while. As time passed I got more used to it. I’m fine with it now, barely bothers me.

When it’s bad I used distraction. One of my subsequent obsessions was headphones and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. That definitely helped me.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have suffered for years with a constant ringing noise, sometimes it is very noticeable and other times less so, but it is always there. I use several apps on my phone, all night, every night, to help with getting to sleep, and staying asleep. My favourite is ReSound Relief, specifically for tinnitus, which has standard sounds and also allows you to create custom sounds by combining noises. Some end up as simply relaxing noise which, if you focus on it, can distract you from the tinnitus noise. Some, can try to actually dissipate the tinnitus noise by creating a sort of 'opposite' noise which cancels out your internal sounds. It also offers relaxation, meditation, and other advice. It sounds like nonsense but I find it very effective and I struggle to sleep without it. Apart from that, sadly treatment, such as it is, consists of learning to live with it. Good luck.

I've had it for probably 40 years. 45 years of jet aircraft maintenance along with some chainsaw use did me in. I've spoken with a few doctors and a couple of audiologists over the years, with no real help. I use rather loud white noise to be able to sleep. Some days it's more bothersome than others. About all I can suggest is to try and keep your mind on other things. Best of luck to you.

Had it since my early teen years, summer job mowing lawns and using a gas trimmer with no ear protection for around a decade will do that yo you. I only notice it when its quiet, at night trying to sleep mostly. Sometimes it bothers me sometimes it doesnt, you get used to it.

This is no help at all but this tool can help you find the frequency of the ringing. Use the slider to match the sound.

The site mentions masking sounds and frequency discrimination training. Don't know what that's about but if it offers relief to you that would be great.

I had a fairly salty soup for dinner so that sets off the ringing for me. Maybe cutting salt might help?

BTW my ringing is at 3,610 Hz.

Now I know....

Have had it for 20+ years, some days worse than others. Haven’t found anything that helps, sorry, your in the club now.

No cure. Got if from years under sirens. Mine is a high pitched frequency tone that is constant in volume. No ringing.

Others have covered most of it except to say it will grow worse over time. A year or so ago it made an increase in volume. Prior 30 years fairly consistent. Focusing on something tends to make the sound recede at least for awhile.

Hearing damage is permanent.

I had a sudden hearing loss in 2020, basically lost most of the hearing in my right ear over night. I have had variably loud Tinnitus in the right ear since then. It mostly sounds like heat bugs/crickets on a summer night. But varies and gets less organic and more "metallic"/electronic sounding at times, like white noise or static. When it gets really bad it can sound like musical tones but that is not the norm for me.

As everyone has said, nothing much to do about it. There is some therapy that supposedly helps you deal with it if you find you can't stand it. I am almost always aware of it but have taken it in stride and just try not to let it bother me.

Luckily it doesn't seem to prevent me from sleeping. It sort of shuts off when I fall asleep. I have noticed sometimes when I slowly wake up I don't hear it and then when I am fully awake it immediately starts back up.

^Yep, prevention is the only remedy. I’ve had the constant, high-pitched frequency for as long as I can remember. Maybe since my late teens. Thankfully, it doesn’t bother me much at all. The cause in my case is that I was and still am, a frequent gig-goer and the music I like is noisy. Dedicated earplug wearer nowadays.
The only time it advanced was a few years ago when it turned out I was starting to get high blood pressure. Since taking the meds it slowly went back to how it was.

Had it almost daily for maybe last 30 yrs ?
radically changed my diet about 3 yrs ago (carnivore been life changing) and all but gone when it does pop up rarely I can almost always make it go away by doing the finger tap thing on the back of the head ! Maybe google that kinda first finger over ring tapping the back of the head as it does something with kinda reseting the vibrations that cause it :) might be worth looking into
the 1x it does not work is often if I let it go to long before the tapping

It sucks but a couple of doctors told me that there is nothing you can really do.

I spent many years standing in front of a huge 8x10” bass rig playing rock shows. Too stupid to use $0.05 earplugs because I was way too cool. 👎

In the past few years I found that equipment racks and all of the associated noise making equipment around our vacuum chambers at work can really get my tinnitus to an annoying level. While at work, or around loud noises I'll use foam earplugs and it stays down at a level I can even ignore. Similar to what Scarry Knight said above, it gets worse if I take Ibuprofen on a regular basis.

It appears to happen in my left ear. Three unexpected events years ago probably didn't help, a muzzle blast from a '94 Winchester a couple of feet behind my left ear, and two F4 Phantoms in full afterburner suddenly appearing 30 feet above and over my left shoulder.

I was surprised to find out that it is not caused by your ears but your brain. If you have hearing loss it can trigger it.
This is how one doctor explained it to me. It's like when a person loses a limb like a leg. They sometimes will feel the leg that is missing gets itchy even though it's not there. Your brain is trying to replace the hearing loss by creating noise.

I have suffered for years with a constant ringing noise, sometimes it is very noticeable and other times less so, but it is always there. I use several apps on my phone, all night, every night, to help with getting to sleep, and staying asleep. My favourite is ReSound Relief, specifically for tinnitus, which has standard sounds and also allows you to create custom sounds by combining noises. Some end up as simply relaxing noise which, if you focus on it, can distract you from the tinnitus noise. Some, can try to actually dissipate the tinnitus noise by creating a sort of 'opposite' noise which cancels out your internal sounds. It also offers relaxation, meditation, and other advice. It sounds like nonsense but I find it very effective and I struggle to sleep without it. Apart from that, sadly treatment, such as it is, consists of learning to live with it. Good luck.
Mrs. Scandalous has Meniere's and has found some measure of relief from those apps, especially when sleeping. Unfortunately I am a very light sleeper and have a difficult time falling asleep with the extra sound (sometimes I'll wear earplugs, but that just makes me more aware of my *own* tinnitus).

I had a heart attack a couple years ago and noticed not long after that tinnitus started. During a physical I told the doctor about it and he said there really isn’t anything that can be done. My who also has tinnitus had to go to an ent. He pretty much told her the same thing. I know they are doctors, but has anyone tried anything that even will lessen the ringing?
First off check your blood pressure, high bp can set it off. The current research believes it is sort of like people who loose a limb but still feel it. You have lost a frequency in your hearing and so your brain makes that sound to compensate. This is why sometimes the retraining behavior therapy works. They do make hearing aids that try to match the missing tone and mask it. There is a lot of research being done on the problem so maybe try to connect with an Audiologist that is up on the topic.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Tinnitus is a miserable problem. With me it was definitely caused by the USN's A-6 Intruder, a loud a/c by any standards. A doc told me to try Lipo Flavanoid Plus. Gave it three bottles, didn't work for me but some are helped.

Neat link @noodles hovar , mine's really high - like 8K.

@Jayson74 , CBD/legal cannabinoids seem to increase the noise, arrgh. So there is a factor there. The lipo flavanoid stuff increased it, too.

AA

Top Bottom