luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
No, not these Tin Seals

seals.jpg

These Tin Seals

IMG_7408__17031.jpg

As discussed here:
To clarify the issue of the tins (Gawith Hoggarth & Samuel Gawith) a while ago (couple of years maybe) our old tin manufacturer went out of business. We had to quickly order a batch from another manufacturer (and by batch they come in container loads of hundreds of thousands). These were a little weaker and so not as good to vacuum seal. To add strength we added a cardboard inner which worked so we could seal the tins. We now have a new tin design and manufacturer and these tins seal well.

HOWEVER we always suggest that anyone wanting to age our tobacco should transfer it to another container.

I'm thinking rather than transferring these plastic wrapped tins to another container, or to put the whole tin in a mylar bag...
Are there any other options?
Maybe wax around the rim? Perhaps some food grade silicone sealant?
Something like this:

Image1.jpg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I put them in vacuum seal bags and gave that a go.
I thought of that, but my concerns were first that I would have to invest in a vacuum sealer, and second the long term permeability of the clear bags used.
That and the fact that the tins really take up less space than any other option to be honest.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I thought of that, but my concerns were first that I would have to invest in a vacuum sealer, and second the long term permeability of the clear bags used.
That and the fact that the tins really take up less space than any other option to be honest.

ultimately the best seal would be removing them and putting them in mason jars or mylar. I jarred about 6 tins this go around and vacuum sealed 6, in case i needed to resell for whatever reason down the road.

If i dont care about the resell, it would all go into jars with these tins.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone have an opinion on whether or not food grade silicone RTV would provide an airtight seal?
I know I can bag these or transfer them, I just like the tins and was hoping someone had an idea on a work around.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
If you don't have a vacuum sealer there is a trick. Put the item in a ziplock bag and submerge it in water as close to the seal as you can and zip it shut.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t see an issue with the silicone unless some of it seeps past the seal and gets on the tobacco. I would think as long as it was a small bead around the outside you’d be ok. Seems like it'd be no different than using wax.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don’t see an issue with the silicone unless some of it seeps past the seal and gets on the tobacco. I would think as long as it was a small bead around the outside you’d be ok. Seems like it'd be no different than using wax.
Thought the wax might be more likely to dry and crack.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was pif’d parafilm. It seems to work. I just never got around to getting more for the rest of my tins.

Some guys seal their jars and tins with paraffin, but it’s supposedly a bear to get open later

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm going to try parafilm, paraffin and food contact grade RTV.
Ordered some of each from Amazon.
I'll let you know how it goes!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Ok, while ordering, I noticed the following statement about parafilm:

• The breathable properties of Parafilm allow gases such as oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc. to pass through, and as such offers an excellent breathable moisture barrier.
So it is a moisture barrier, but not a gas barrier.
I'm just going to try paraffin and Food Grade RTV.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
...and the food grade RTV listed is apparently not food grade as per the manufacturer, so it's Aquarium sealant instead of food grade sealant.

Top Bottom