What's new

Tin Foil Hat Time

Do you use and RFID/Faraday case for your cell phone and if so, why?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 97.1%

• Total voters

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I initially voted no, but I am considering doing so, how about you?

The foolproof approach is to use a phone with an easily removable battery. Just take out the battery and the phone is totally dead. Of course, no one can call you and you can't use your phone until you replace the battery, so...

Also, try not to install very many third-party apps on your phone. Install and use a VPN service that will prevent trackers from seeing who you are and what you are doing.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes it would. The idea is that you disconnect from constant availability. That would be a fate worse than death for anyone who never knew a world without cell phones. You would pull out your phone and turn it on only when you absolutely needed to. We potentially have as much sensitive information on our phones as we do on our PCs, etc.

Last edited:
I am reminded of the old statement that goes something like..."I used to worry about what people thought of me, until I finally realized that they rarely did."

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I almost always simply leave my phone at home since I connect remotely through my watch. But I also don't keep stuff like financial data or credit card numbers on my cell phone. I figure anyone who wants to track me has way way too much free time on their hands. I use the phone and watches to make calls and get text messages. That's about it. They could get my Contact list if they wanted.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I am reminded of the old statement that goes something like..."I used to worry about what people thought of me, until I finally realized that they rarely did."
Bureaucrats with an agenda may have more interest in you than your casual acquittances. Or not.

You know it's not like there are snoopy individuals spying on any one person. The problem is this data is collected automatically en masse. It can then be used at some future time by people searching for specific patterns of interest to them, building profiles, etc.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It's certainly not like it usta was when everyone knew everything about you and your ancestors for the past umpteen generations and religiously kept it all confidential except when talking to neighbors.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I almost always simply leave my phone at home since I connect remotely through my watch. But I also don't keep stuff like financial data or credit card numbers on my cell phone. I figure anyone who wants to track me has way way too much free time on their hands. I use the phone and watches to make calls and get text messages. That's about it. They could get my Contact list if they wanted.
Done by algorithm.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I listened to a podcast this morning about GM rolling out more electric cars. It talked about if it was too late for them to do so, as if they waited to long to get in to the electric car game. One of the CEO’s for a major car brand said something that really stuck with me. I can’t remember the question but his answer was about the data they had on their customers. He said they know where they work, what their salary is, what their mortgage payment is, their phone numbers, credit history, how long they’ve lived in their current home, previous addresses, etc. etc. How do they know this?....because they finance the automobiles people buy.

I suppose I never thought about it after driving off the car lot. But they don’t destroy the information you give them once the deal is done. They keep it indefinitely and you signed papers giving them that right.

People are fooling themselves if they think anything in this world is private. You have already freely given away way more damaging info than is on your cell phone just by living your everyday life. Buying a home, visiting the doctor, applying for a credit card, using your credit card, owning a computer connected to the internet, and so on. There is not a single thing you can do to prevent someone from taking your private information if they want it.

That’s not to say just roll over and let them have it. But in my opinion if you are trying to protect information that is less significant than the information that is already out there then your efforts and devices are a waste of time. You’re already late to the game. The best you can hope for is successful management of the fallout when it happens. Getting your stolen money back or your stolen identity.

So no, i don’t use any special case for my cell phone. I don’t worry about Big Brother listening in. I don’t live my life in constant fear or any fear for that matter. I have resolved to the fact that there is no such thing as privacy and whatever information someone wants on me is accessible to them if they have the means and knowhow to access it. I just assume Big Brother IS watching and IS listening. And I don’t care.

Top Bottom