What's new

Timing of Aftershave Application...Help Appreciated

Greetings my esteemed friends, it has been a while.

My issue: As I am getting back into my routine after embracing a beard, I am having mild neck irritation - BUT! It calms initially after alum/aftershave application - AND THEN after about 30 minutes, it starts to burn again, and when I apply my aftershave a second time, it stays calmed.

My Question: Is this normal, or am I a freak? And, yes, I realize that it may be counter productive to ask that in this vast expanse of the YMMV universe...

My set-up: Hot shower, re-wet face with warm/hot water, apply Arko stick OR Proraso Blue, build lather with either my Simpson T1, RR Plissoft, or Maggard Timberwolf, shave with my Gillette Slim (recent $5 acquisition at an antique store and it functions great with great alignment) on setting 2 (although today I went to 1 on the left side of my neck and it was more comfy, so wondering about tomorrow on 1), blades have been SP, Nacet, and Gillette Platinum (6 shaves with each brand, 3 shaves per blade and love those Nacets!), Usually a 2 pass XTG & ATG, apply alum, cold rinse, blot dry with clean towel, and apply aftershave (AV musk, AV Sport, Clubman SR, Clubman BR, Hoyt's - those last 3 with added glycerin).

Product wise, these things worked for me when I stopped DE shaving out of laziness a couple years ago. (I am experimenting with some new blades - I had settled on SP's before) My face is sensitive, my beard is ginger and pretty soft, skin is fair, and growth rate is slow. I could probably go every other day. But even then, the irritation/burn still comes back in about 30 minutes, but it usually calmed/soothed no problem with a re-application of AS.

General observations: It is funny how times change and fads change. In 2014 when I got into this, the Slim was still well respected and recommended. I do have a Rockwell 6s, and I will say that when I did this before, I was able to shave with it daily on plate 4, but I do not recall if I got the irritation issue then. I returned because the price of the $5 Slim sucked me back in. It was so cheap because the shop thought it was broken - the extra turn to lock the blade was really firm, but it opened up for me and I snagged it. I returned here to see it is not respected as openly as it once was. I have resisted using my 6s so far because I wanted to master this 1965 beauty. I will also say that I use the settings so low (2 usually) because my 1940's SS and 1950's SS were both great shavers but usually too much for daily use when I was into this before. On 3 and 4, this slim has blessed me with weepers that made my 13 and 8 year old sons cringe. Ha! Sure, it could be technique, and yes, in the three weeks I have done this, things have improved, but it has seemed to level off with this irritation re-run after the shave.

Thanks for any insight and for taking the time to read. It is appreciated. And sorry if it is too much info, but I know how some like details. Sometimes it helps for diagnosis. Also glad to see that this place is still a fantastic forum!

Josh

Have you tried a balm instead of a splash? I only use alum for weepers myself. My post shave is Thayers non-alcoholic, unscented and then an AS after that dries down. I use both balms and splashes, but with the Thayers there is no burn for me.

There are many here, including myself, who highly regard the Slim. Consider how many modern options there are out there now that get all the attention.

Have you tried a balm instead of a splash? I only use alum for weepers myself. My post shave is Thayers non-alcoholic, unscented and then an AS after that dries down. I use both balms and splashes, but with the Thayers there is no burn for me.

There are many here, including myself, who highly regard the Slim. Consider how many modern options there are out there now that get all the attention.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, sir.

Before I do recall at first trying a witch hazel splash from Ogalala (I think - blue glass bottle) and a Nivea balm in a white glass bottle I believe. I remember not liking them, but not for sure why. I will admit that may be worth revisiting. When I got into the classic aftershaves I stuck with them and liked many of them, but it could have been because my misguided youth felt that the burn let me know it was working....

The alum was advised when I was here before by many as a sanitizing step. Maybe I will leave that off tomorrow and see if that helps. Possibly it is overkill for my needs?? Thanks again!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Shave, hot shower, towel dry, splash on aftershave. No alum, no witch hazel, no nothin'. Better still use an EDC or EDT. I use 4711 most days, but I have tried a number of splashes.

I'm not sure if my experience will help here but..

In the days when I used hot water to shave and was in the habit of using AS I also had significant irritation.

What ultimately got me sorted was switching up to cold water shaving and forgoing the AS for a couple light pats of lotion after the final rinse.

As a result, these days I can use any combo of software and hardware I want (within reason) without suffering irritation or other ill effects.

Alas, everyone's mug is different so this advice may not work for you. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!

March 16 Update:

First, thanks to all who have responded. I sincerely appreciate it.

In your responses, I am seeing an anti-alum trend. I am also happy to report that today was WAY better.

The Difference: NO Alum! Ha! I decided to leave it off.

I waited about 15 minutes after shaving to apply. There was no discomfort during that time. My A/S did burn some, but today I had no cuts or weepers. But the burn was tolerable, the expected kind for me.

At the 30 minute mark after application, there was a very slight feeling of "Hey, the right side of your neck has been shaved" but nothing intolerable, and it calmed on its own. I did not re-apply anything, I was not in pain or misery.

In the fog of my memory it seems to be coming back that I had stopped the alum step before, too. Probably for the same reason. I will repeat tomorrow.

Razor: 1965 Slim on 2
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Arko (Face Lather)
Brush: Simpson Trafalger 1
After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Old Spice Mug: For looks!
Shave: DFS+ (9+ out of 10)

Thank you all again for the reminders and help. I appreciate it.

Peace be with you.

Attachments

• 20230316_060524.jpg
    20230316_060524.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 4

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
March 16 Update:

First, thanks to all who have responded. I sincerely appreciate it.

In your responses, I am seeing an anti-alum trend. I am also happy to report that today was WAY better.

The Difference: NO Alum! Ha! I decided to leave it off.

I waited about 15 minutes after shaving to apply. There was no discomfort during that time. My A/S did burn some, but today I had no cuts or weepers. But the burn was tolerable, the expected kind for me.

At the 30 minute mark after application, there was a very slight feeling of "Hey, the right side of your neck has been shaved" but nothing intolerable, and it calmed on its own. I did not re-apply anything, I was not in pain or misery.

In the fog of my memory it seems to be coming back that I had stopped the alum step before, too. Probably for the same reason. I will repeat tomorrow.

Razor: 1965 Slim on 2
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Arko (Face Lather)
Brush: Simpson Trafalger 1
After Shave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Old Spice Mug: For looks!
Shave: DFS+ (9+ out of 10)

Thank you all again for the reminders and help. I appreciate it.

Peace be with you.
For some of us, a moderate amount of burn is a prized characteristic, but it should not cross into painfulness or last too long. As it subsides, your sensation is that of being refreshed.

3/17 update:

Second day with no burn!

Better after feel than yesterday.

Still no alum, and the other difference was Vitos cream and a new RR Amici brush. I did not wait as long to apply aftershave today. It has felt wonderful - the best yet since I have started again. Hard to imagine better!

Again, I thank you all for your help and support!

Peace be with you.

Attachments

• 20230317_095042.jpg
    20230317_095042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Slim is much better than the Fatboy *giggle* for me. Never tried alum. Sounds like you are on the right path my friend!

3/18 update:

Well, today I have razor burn. Not bad, but a bit uncomfortable.

The past two days I used a Feather blade I had from years ago. Good results. It was tugging just a little at the end yesterday, so I binned it.

Today I used a Bic Chrome. That, and Palmolive cream. Two things, I know, not one at a time.

I don't think it was the Palmolive. Face feel and product feel were fantastic just like the Vitos. Also, this cream experience has taught me my Arko lather has been too thin. Not enough product. I now know why you all call a lather "protective". Amazing.

The Bic blades are known (on this forum which I am now parroting, never used a Bic before today, so I have no credibility with this statement) to get better with use, but I don't know if I am that brave to try again. My beard is not tough, so I fear my gentle whiskers may not have worn enough coating off.

The places I am burning are the places I know I either pushed to hard or shaved too many times because I could tell the blade was not cutting as well.

Paying the price for not leaving well enough alone!

At least there is no alum reaction!

Which blade for tomorrow....
Lab Blue
Astra SP
Nacet
GSB
Platinum....

Thank you all again.

Peace be with you.

Do you use a moisturizer after applying the AS? Maybe dry skin isn't the cause of your problem but it won't hurt. Alcohol based AS does dry out the skin and if you weren't using it while having a beard your skin isn't used to it. To me it does feel soothing to apply a moisturizer at the end.

3/20/23 Update:

Well, no alum fixed my initial residual burning issues. Thanks!

Second, this coincides with my journey into shave creams. Man, have I enjoyed that! They have taught me that what I thought was a good lather with my Arko was really too thin/not enough.

Vitos cream (Mentolo) is EXCELLENT! Makes me want to get the Tobacco.
Palmolive - not sure yet, I need to retry. I believe it was the Bic blade that made the shave rough. I will try that one again.
Lea Sensitive (Silver tube) - Wow! That was cold! Did not expect that. Shave was good though. Maybe not quote as good as Vitos, but worth the price of admission, and great smell to me.
Proraso Blue - It has been a while for this (2 plus weeks - got the the other creams and left it behind for a while), it will be tomorrow's shave.
Waiting in the wings: My un-opened La Toja sensitive.

Also, I finally brought myself to use more product with these creams, more even than I think I was using with Proraso recently, and it is BETTER! No need to suffer after a shave for being a tightwad! Lol! I use about 1.125-1.250 of an inch applied to my waiting wetted brush and head to the face. Good Golly, an improvement from miserly "pea" sized portions. I finally understand "protective and cushioning."

Blade and Razor:

Still sticking with my $5 Gillette Slim I scored at an antique store. I had my doubts at first. I now believe it was a lather problem. The razor on 2 and a Platinum or Nacet or Feather so far is capable of consistently good shaves - DFS+ and today with Lea and the Nacet a BBS. I am still perfecting technique to match my beard growth and I did better with that today, so I think I can say it is a BBS capable razor FOR ME full stop, if I do my part.

I realize I have dropped money on this lately, at least a little - $140 all in this month or so, maybe? That is after at least 3+ years of not spending a dime on shaving, using what I had, and getting out of the habit. When you still have 40 Arko sticks, you ought to find a way to use it... Lol! But my desire is to find products that work economically in addition to Arko. I do intend to use the Arko up, for soaps, it was the best I found for me and my budget. This is why I am also so happy about the performance of the Vitos.

It feels kinds weird right now to actually have a "shave den." Lol! I sincerely did get into this to save money and to find better shaves. It feels good to be back in the fold and making my way now without irritation. Again, sincere thanks to you all for your help.

For the record, in light of the suggestions offered that I recall not addressing directly, in the past, and a recent power outage, I have tried cold water shaving suggested above, and while tolerable, it did not improve things, especially my enjoyment level. In the past I have also tried some well regarded balms/moisturizers after the shave. I got irritation every time. As long as my A/S has glycerin in it, I seem to be good to go. My skin is on the oily side.

Thank you again, and peace be with you. Sorry for the book.

Top Bottom