What's new

Timex is Back!

Timex recently re-released a hand wound Marlin, but many modern watch wearers felt the 34 mm was too small for daily wear. Now, you can get an automatic 40 mm version. Crazy to think these were the standard on many wrists throughout the US just a few decades ago.

I think they look really sharp and are priced pretty competitively for first automatic market. Should be a popular holiday item. What do you think?

Marlin 40mm Automatic Leather Strap Watch | Timex

Looks like they went with a Miyota movement instead of the Chinese movement in the smaller version. Nice! The hands bother me, they look undersized for the dial.

Timex recently re-released a hand wound Marlin, but many modern watch wearers felt the 34 mm was too small for daily wear. Now, you can get an automatic 40 mm version. Crazy to think these were the standard on many wrists throughout the US just a few decades ago.

I think they look really sharp and are priced pretty competitively for first automatic market. Should be a popular holiday item. What do you think?

Marlin 40mm Automatic Leather Strap Watch | Timex
Wow. Nice watch!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They need to bring back the Speidel watch bands. Teenage boys need to learn firsthand about the pain our teen years were (ala ripped out arm hair). :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Timex are fine in my book. My dad bought an automatic Timex wristwatch back in the 1970's and wore it for years, I then wore it on and off through out the 1980's and gave it a fair old workout. I found it a few years ago but it requires a service and there lies the problem. Most of the watchmakers that I have contacted about giving it an overhaul won't touch it. They reckon that it is not worth repairing even though I am happy to pay for the overhaul. They must be okay watches as the original Macgyver wore one in the first series or two back in the 1980's.

When I was young Timex was the only watch brand I wore. I dont wear watches anymore, but it's nice to know they are still going strong.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Dont care for the gold and the face / hands
i like retro but not back to the 80s
But A for effort

That’s a nice looking watch and a great alternative to battery power. However, it does seem a bit pricey. I guess I’ll have to see the watch in person to get a better idea of it. I bought a seiko automatic about 5 years back for under US$80 and it’s still going strong.

That's a nice looking watch with a good, solid movement. My concern would be that the domed crystal would find every door jam and wall I walk past and wouldn't last a week!

Great looking watch. I'd buy it at 100 bucks. At their price point though, they are competing with some real nice alternatives.

It's a decent effort, maybe worth 7 out of 10, but I'm not keen on the short minute hand, and the date window looks like a bit of an afterthought. Good to see Timex have used a decent movement, although it's not hacking, I believe.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top is the 34mm hand-wound Marlin, and below is the 40mm automatic. IMHO the hands on the top one are definitely better-proportioned to the watch face. It looks like they changed the watch face diameter without changing the hand length/size.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Timex is back? I didn't know they ever went anywhere. I've had this one for several years...it's not a hand wound like the ones I had decades ago but I do have to manually change the date after a month that has less than 31 days in it. Only changed the battery once and that was after about 10 years.

This one didn't cost $250 either...more like $15. It still takes a licking and keeps on....

It's analog and not digital, but that's a millennial theft deterrent.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Timex is back? I didn't know they ever went anywhere. I've had this one for several years...it's not a hand wound like the ones I had decades ago but I do have to manually change the date after a month that has less than 31 days in it. Only changed the battery once and that was after about 10 years.

This one didn't cost $250 either...more like $15. It still takes a licking and keeps on....

It's analog and not digital, but that's a millennial theft deterrent.

View attachment 917524
I bought a new Timex quartz wrist watch a couple years ago similar to yours for 5 bucks. It's a beast.

I've probably told this story to you all before, but close to 50 years ago my dad was tilling the field and lost his Timex in the Fall. The next Spring he turned it up. He hollered at me and we took it in the house and wiped it off. You guessed it. Ran fine after he wound it. I always tried to get him to write Cameron Swayze. Was that his name? "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I bought a new Timex quartz wrist watch a couple years ago similar to yours for 5 bucks. It's a beast.

I've probably told this story to you all before, but close to 50 years ago my dad was tilling the field and lost his Timex in the Fall. The next Spring he turned it up. He hollered at me and we took it in the house and wiped it off. You guessed it. Ran fine after he wound it. I always tried to get him to write Cameron Swayze. Was that his name? "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking!"

I believe that about your Dad's Timex. And I think it was John Cameron Swayze that did the commercials. My $15 one still keeps perfect time.

Oh good Lord...hand wound watches...I think I dated myself...January, 1950s.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I believe that about your Dad's Timex. And I think it was John Cameron Swayze that did the commercials. My $15 one still keeps perfect time.

Oh good Lord...hand wound watches...I think I dated myself...January, 1950s.

Lol. We ain't young no more!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Lol. We ain't young no more!

Yeah, but we're like fine wine.

And now we get to bash the inexperienced youngsters...the older, wiser people have been doing that since time immemorial...it's a "time" honored tradition. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom