What's new

Timeless vs Above the Tie?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If he uses a DE razor, I'd buy him a Fatip and spend the rest on soaps/creams and a brush ;)

Partly as a result of the OCtober I recently bought a Timeless 0.95 open comb scallop head. It is one of the smoothest razors I’ve used. Moderately aggressive, beautifully machined and a novel design that sets the blade correctly without any guess work. I’ve owned dozens of vintage razors but really think that some of the modern designs are far better - admitidly at a significant cost.

I have had a Timeless .68 SB and it was a smooth razor but did not give me the closest shave. I ended up trading it for an Att s2 and I love it. I also have a Rockwell 6s and love it. I don't know if I could choose between the two. The s2 is more aggressive tho.
Smurf

I really think iy would be a good idea to find out what razor the intended recipient is using atm before buying him a new one. If he's using a vintage Gillette then it might not be very aggressive, since many aren't, so something like an R41 might not suit his style.
^^This is the best suggestion in this entire thread!! It may well wind up he's been using a Gillette Atra and any $ spent on a Timeless or ATT would be likely wasted.

IMO, the design that holds the blade on the Timeless is better. I used to have an ATT with an R head and found that with how short the posts are that hold the blade in place, you had to really pay attention when you tighten the head down.
I loved the craftsmanship and the shave my ATT gave me but hated the post design on it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
^^This is the best suggestion in this entire thread!! It may well wind up he's been using a Gillette Atra and any $ spent on a Timeless or ATT would be likely wasted.

I would have been wasting my money buying a razor for my father or father-in-law. It would have been something I found years later in its box in the attic.

I would not want my children buying me a razor either. I have a hard enough time determining what to buy myself.

The only thing I ever bought my father that I know he liked was a pocket knife exactly like the one he'd lost except the one I bought was a grade or two up in the same brand. The size, shape, look, etc. were all exactly the same. The steel was better. I was taking a big chance going with better steel.

Of course, he's your father-in-law and you likely have a good sense of what he would like.

Happy shaves to him and to you,

Jim

If he has a TTO Safety Razor, he might not like a 3 piece razor though. If you know what he uses, you can buy something equivalent to it and might enjoy it, like a replated razor or an updated design that shaves similarly to the one the has now. He might not use if it’s behaves different to the one he has.

Yeah. Gotta find out what he is using. And then you will know if the right gift is a minty vintage Tech, or vintage TTO, or new Parker TTO, or Rockwell, or-- or maybe a nice soap in a fancy container. Good luck!

I took a peek at his razor. It looks like a cheap grocery store special. It’s a TTO (butterfly) with a black plastic handle. Closed comb / smooth bar. It looks pretty beat up and oxidized. Didn’t see any brand on it.

Im thinking since he already has a TTO style, maybe I should get him a re-plated vintage Gillette? Like a Red Tip or Super Speed maybe? Maybe an adjustable?

Thanks guys.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I took a peek at his razor. It looks like a cheap grocery store special. It’s a TTO (butterfly) with a black plastic handle. Closed comb / smooth bar. It looks pretty beat up and oxidized. Didn’t see any brand on it.

Im thinking since he already has a TTO style, maybe I should get him a re-plated vintage Gillette? Like a Red Tip or Super Speed maybe?

Thanks guys.

Cant go wrong with a Gillette SS. Better yet a British one...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've no experience with this razor, but it is modern, and RR razors are generally good.
upload_2017-11-12_22-23-16.png
Here is the link.

Another, well reviewed:
upload_2017-11-12_22-25-12.png
Link.

Another:

upload_2017-11-12_22-29-54.png
Link.

One more:

upload_2017-11-12_22-32-2.png
Link.

There are a good many others. Good luck with this gift. You're certainly putting a lot into it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
My suggestion would be an adjustable. If he has been using his current razor for some time, and from your description it would seem that way, the Red Tip or just the basic Super Speed might not give him the same or similar blade gap feel and or shave he is used to so at least with the adjustable he can dial it in to what he would prefer... Finding a decent Fatboy or Slim on eBay is pretty easy nowadays and relatively inexpensive. You can even find some that have been replated already in nickel or rhodium as well. Just my thought on it...

I recall giving my father new shirts. They went in a drawer. Too new, too nice. They would have to season in the dresser for four or five years before he would wear 'em.

An adjustable might be too much. A Parker 87r at $28?

I ended up getting a restored Red Tip. It's his birth year, even the same quarter - 1955 (A4). Pretty cool coincidence!

I'm very tempted to keep it, and order him a Parker 87/99.... :w00t:

Top Bottom