What's new

Timeless vs Above the Tie?

Hi all.

I’m thinking of buying either a Timeless or Above the Tie razor. This would be a gift for my father in law’s birthday.

Anyone own a Timeless .95 or an ATT H1? Or preferably both? They seem similar in build quality. How do they shave?

What about compared to let’s say an R41 or a RR Wunderbar?

I’m looking for something smooth, but aggressive.

I’d buy him a Wunderbar, since I love mine, but I’m not sure he’d like a slant. My wife says probably not. He’s a dinosaur and doesn’t like to change anything. Heck, he might not even use this razor and stick to his old one! He’s tough to buy a gift for, and this he might actually enjoy. Better than the usual boring sweater and slacks my wife gets him.

Thanks.

What is his old razor?

I don't know if I would go with an R.41 or Wunderbar unless he likes razors that are on the aggressive side. If his makes his own lather, a good quality brush would be nice.

I am not sure what kind of razor he uses now. My wife says its very old and beat up, but it doesn't mean he wants/needs a new one. He does make his own lather.

Yes, I don't think the R41 or WB are a good idea, which is why I was considering the Timeless or ATT razors. I think they are a little less aggressive, but I am not 100% sure.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Not a fan of the "H" ATT plates but ATT does have a 30 day return or exchange policy. They also have the sets that come with an M, R & H plate.
Absolutely love my ATT S2 BUT understand that it simply looks wrong. If he is a traditionalist then the ATT S2 is not for him and likely any slant is not for him.

Of all my modern razors two really stand out as major pleasant surprises. The RR Old Style is amazing. It's one of the razors where my reaction was "It can't really be this good!"; yet it was. And it continues to perform right up with my very best razors.

The other is the Merkur Futur. It too initially comes across as a Rube Goldberg creation yet like Rube's works it too simply get a fairly mundane job done. And even at the lowest levels the Futur is very, very efficient. And should he want aggression it has that in spades.

I have the ATT S1 and S2 as well as the Timeless. I like the S1 and Timeless. Both give nice, comfortable, smooth shaves. The S2 is more aggressive and, for me, not quite as smooth.

I really think iy would be a good idea to find out what razor the intended recipient is using atm before buying him a new one. If he's using a vintage Gillette then it might not be very aggressive, since many aren't, so something like an R41 might not suit his style.

I have the ATT M, H, R, H2, R2 and SE razors as well as the Timeless .68 and .95 in various plates. The ATT R and H plates are rather aggressive while the M series plates are fairly mild. So on a scale from one to ten in terms of aggressiveness, the M might be a 4, the R an 8 and the H a 9. The R plate isn't in the middle as you'd think it would be.

I'd recommend that you purchase him the Timeless .68 SB. There's also a bronze Timeless that's available now. Both of these razors you'll find to be very smooth while still being incredibly efficient. Just an absolute pleasure to shave with.

The ATT R, H and Timeless .95 plates are going to be a bit aggressive so unless you know he's using a very aggressive razor right now I likely wouldn't choose something like this for him, as it would be a lot less comfortable to shave with than what he currently uses.

I have the ATT S1 and S2 as well as the Timeless. I like the S1 and Timeless. Both give nice, comfortable, smooth shaves. The S2 is more aggressive and, for me, not quite as smooth.
The Timeless SB 68 is what I meant.

I'm thinking ATT might be the way to go. I did not realize they had a 30-day exchange policy. That's probably the safest route since I can always change it for something more/less aggressive.

I will try to sneak a peak at his razor if I get the chance.

Thanks for the information so far everyone. This is a great forum!

Can't go wrong with the 30 day return policy of ATT. They have something anyone would like. Their copper Windsor is sexy eye candy.

Yeah, Timeless and ATT have the same 30 day return policy so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor as you'll get the same deal from both companies.

Hmmm. I didn’t realize that.

And they’re similarly priced also.

You won't go wrong with either one but my personal preference is for the Timeless.
I actually prefer it over all of the really expensive, just about impossible to get, razors that I own.

If you can tell us what razor he's using now you might get a better recommendation. If you can snap a pic of it we'll know what it is from that.

My Timeless 0.68 Scalloped Bar is just a great, efficient and smooth razor. Your father in-law would be quite happy with it I would imagine.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
As a gift you can't go wrong with both. Both are well made. I prefer the 68. I have an att r plate on order.

You might also consider the Rockwell 6S or 6C. This would enable your FIL to find s blade gap he loves. Less risk. I reach for my 6C as often as my Timeless.

I have both the ATT H1 and the Timeless .95 and can get great shaves from both, but prefer the Timeless. The ATT seems harsher and can give me the occasional weeper, whereas the Timeless is effortlessly smooth. Both give me a two pass darn fine shave.

I have both the ATT H1 and the Timeless .95 and can get great shaves from both, but prefer the Timeless. The ATT seems harsher and can give me the occasional weeper, whereas the Timeless is effortlessly smooth. Both give me a two pass darn fine shave.

That's (((RIGIDITY))) at work!

Much prefer the smoothness of the Timeless in both gaps, the 0.68 for daily use, and the 0.95 for shaves after a skipped day or two. Had the ATT-M1 and R1, sold these after getting the Timeless.

Both are lovely to look at, but in terms of a pleasant shave, the Timeless wins for me, no contest.

Top Bottom