What's new

TIMELESS users: base plates question

A call out to the collective knowledge out in the forum for members who have used both the Timeless .68 and .98 stainless steel plates.

Short version:
How do the results compare?
I know the .68 is going to be more comfortable/less efficient, but is it going to give me the same sweet DFS that the .98 gives? I don’t mind having to do an extra pass or two, but is the post-shave going to be as smooth.

Long version:
My main squeeze (well, shave every 2-3 days) the past 2 years has just been ss timeless .98 open comb, straight bar, and scalloped base plates - kicking myself for not have made one of those the .68 to begin with, sigh. anyway,

Lately I’ve wanted a milder razor, and slightly less heavy one, for times I want to shave a day sooner than I normally would but without irritated skin. And also, thinly veiled excuse to buy a new toy, let’s be real. But it needs to be a worthwhile razor Under $200, and ignorig the Rockwell SS that already exists in my medicine cabinet. So I bought a Rex Envoy over the Blackland Blackbird with much anticipation and disappointment. Not only is Envoy less efficient than my Timeless, but much more uncomfortable and has left my face irritated the past 3 uses. As a comparison, the Rockwell ss on plate 3 was infinitely smoother and more efficient - i just like the look of polished razors in my shave nook and the smooth feel on skin.

I felt the blade more w/ the Envoy than the .98 too. There’s always a learning curve with a new razor but I imagined that it being much lighter than the ss timeless it would be less pressure against the skin, and I really like the blade tabs coveredRegardless, the experience has left me to appreciate the Timeless and was wondering if I should just get the .68 base plate instead of a different razor - f**k it, never mind, i think my goal now is to replace my steel timeless to titanium and aim for a .68 and .95 in that.

I’ll preface by saying I have used the 95ti, 68 ti, and 38 bronze so no experience with the slim or .78.

First off I would challenge your assumption that the .68 is more comfortable than the .95. This is extremely dependent on skin and beard type. I have an extremely dense, fast growing beard. In order to get an acceptable shave I would need to buff 3x as much when I shaved with the .68 vs the .95. To me the .95 was a much more comfortable shave for this reason.

I found the .38 slightly more efficient than the .68 but honestly I sold both as the .95 ti checks all the boxes for me.

For the milder shave you are looking for a carbon .68 ti would be a good option. This and my charcoal goods everyday razor are my smooth, drama-free razors.

I would not sell the .95 before trying the other offerings. I’d buy directly from timeless. You might miss out on a 10% coupon but they have a generous return policy.

I had a titanium .95 solid bar and have a .68 stainless solid bar that I use with my bronze razor. If I was shaving every other day or every 3 days or so the .95 would be my go to. Shaving more often I would prefer the .68 as I find it slightly more comfortable. It really depends on your skin, beard type, and technique. You can always order a .68 baseplate to see if you like it.

For me I get better results with my Henson Ti22 titanium than the Timeless so I sent it back. It is also a little less expensive.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My current Timeless stable:
Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Timeless Stainless .68 SB
Timeless Stainless .95 OC
Timeless Titanium Slim SB
Timeless Titanium .68 SB

The Timeless razor I use the most:

According to the Timeless website: "This is our most aggressive razor yet but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave."

I find the Slim to be very efficient, smooth and highly effective.

The Ti .68 SB, Stainless .68 SB and Bronze .38 SB are all excellent daily drivers.

The Bronze .78 OC might be the most efficient Timeless razor. Still getting to know it.

Hope this helps.

I find the .68 SS Timeless is milder, just as smooth as the .95 and shaves about as close as the Edwin Jagger DE89 - the 89 and the Timeless 68 are equally enjoyable for me

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Timeless Titanium .68 SB

According to the Timeless website: "This is our most aggressive razor yet but with the right touch it provides a smooth efficient shave."

The Ti .68 SB, Stainless .68 SB and Bronze .38 SB are all excellent daily drivers.

The Bronze .78 OC might be the most efficient Timeless razor. Still getting to know it.

Hope this helps.
Neglected to list the Timeless Aluminum. Going to work it back into the rotation at some point soon. :)

Today's shave was with the Ti Slim SB:
20210327_160315.jpg

Thanks y’all! Amazing insights and advice. I’m already waiting for the titanium Crown handle to arrive so I think I’m going to very very slowly :) work my way toward all Ti with both a .68 and .95.

I recently went through the Timeless ringer and wrote up a review of several of the plates you asked about. My BLUF, I prefer the .68OC plates in both SS and Ti. I've been mostly using the Ti .68OC paired to an 80mm TiBAM New York handle and it's just about perfect.

proxy.php

Thanks y’all! Amazing insights and advice. I’m already waiting for the titanium Crown handle to arrive so I think I’m going to very very slowly :) work my way toward all Ti with both a .68 and .95.
I had the .68 SS SB, Ti .95 OC, and the Ti SB .95, all 3 complete razors, for me since I shave everyday and in the evening the .68 SS SB was not efficient enough for me, the Ti .95 OC was to efficient for me to use as a daily shaver, sold them all, except the Ti SB .95, it is the only razor I still have and use it everyday.

Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Timeless Titanium .68 SB

Hope this helps.
Wow. That’s a lot of timeless. Though somehow you‘re missing what I consider to be the best Timeless shaving experience....the SS or Ti .95 SB or Sc. For me, that’s where the Timeless sweetspot is!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Wow. That’s a lot of timeless. Though somehow you‘re missing what I consider to be the best Timeless shaving experience....the SS or Ti .95 SB or Sc. For me, that’s where the Timeless sweetspot is!

Currently, the Ti Slim has my Timeless focus - although I am keeping my eyes open for a Ti .95 SB or SC plate. :)

I've been eyeing a Timeless Bronze for a while now the .78 OC in particular. I currently have a Rex Ambassador( usually cranked at around a @4 for the first pass then dialing down for the remaining passes), RR .84 Jaws, Merkur Progress, Karve (A-B-C CC plates) and a Rockwell 6S. I am not using the Karve and 6S since I find them mild. Will the Timeless add anything to my den? I usually shaved 3 times a week If that's any help. Thanks in advance.

I've been eyeing a Timeless Bronze for a while now the .78 OC in particular. I currently have a Rex Ambassador( usually cranked at around a @4 for the first pass then dialing down for the remaining passes), RR .84 Jaws, Merkur Progress, Karve (A-B-C CC plates) and a Rockwell 6S. I am not using the Karve and 6S since I find them mild. Will the Timeless add anything to my den? I usually shaved 3 times a week If that's any help. Thanks in advance.

I'm using milder plates these days for Karve, but you should really give them another chance with the F plate, always got great shaves with that one

From what I've read the Bronze OC will add quite a bit to your den!! If you were to use the search link at the top of the forum page you will find some great info on it as its a plate that just isn't discussed mush as of late....

If you like your Ambassador at 4 I think you’d love the .95 Timeless base plate.

Top Bottom