What's new

Timeless Titanium Announced

Timeless razors has announced a new titanium version of their DE razors. Email announcement just received and they are on their web site now.

Just got the email myself. I wonder if they will be able to keep up with demand since titanium is a lot slower to machine than 304 steel.

Just got the email myself. I wonder if they will be able to keep up with demand since titanium is a lot slower to machine than 304 steel.

I didn't realize that, but I guess so since they cost more. $250 for the scalloped version...that's getting up there in price compared to $210 for the stainless steel. The finish looks similar to the matte stainless steel. What is the advantage of Titanium over SS? It's lighter weight that's all I know. I prefer the heft of SS.

I just got it also and looked at the price of an OC baseplate, Scalloped top cap and a stand and it's $310 total. So I'm assuming that is the most you can pay for one razor. Their mater kit in TI is $555.

I also noticed they have a special price on one SS combo that includes the discontinued handle. It's $170.00 to me that's a good price for someone looking to get one.

I'm not sure how motivated I am. I've got the two SS that I really love. Now if they had done one in brass or copper that would have created a spark in me. I have to call Matt and see what's coming up down the road.

I didn't realize that, but I guess so since they cost more. $250 for the scalloped version...that's getting up there in price compared to $210 for the stainless steel. The finish looks similar to the matte stainless steel. What is the advantage of Titanium over SS? It's lighter weight that's all I know. I prefer the heft of SS.

More chemically inert which is why most surgical metal implants are titanium these days. Austenitic stainless steel as used for razors has a high nickel content which a fair percentage of the population is sensitive to. Weight is about 2/3 that of stainless steel or brass and about double that of aluminum.

Last edited:
Not much advantage to titanium over stainless. But it's (titanium) probably slightly more indestructible. Even high grade stainless can get a little corrosion and pitting it you don't take care of it. Like doing something stupid like leaving it in water for days at a time. But I don't think titanium will corrode no matter how it's abused.

Not much advantage to titanium over stainless. But it's (titanium) probably slightly more indestructible. Even high grade stainless can get a little corrosion and pitting it you don't take care of it. Like doing something stupid like leaving it in water for days at a time. But I don't think titanium will corrode no matter how it's abused.

I like that I can leave blades in my Ti razor without fear of it getting tea stains, but really, I also leave blades in my 303/316L steel razors and they also get no tea stains or rust.

I do enjoy the weight of Ti and I think it makes a great option for those who find steel too heavy and aluminium too light. Good middle ground.

I've read that Ti scratches easier than steel, though that is a bit moot for razors, unless you're going to be carrying one in your pocket or rubbing it on things.

As for being indestructible, I think it's about 40% lighter than steel, and the same strength as steel for the same volume of material (I could be misremembering, though), so if you drop it, it should theoretically have less chance to bend or dent, if only because it's lighter and will hit the ground with less force.

However, there are some concerns with titanium. It's known for having its threads gall or seize, particularly with titanium-on-titanium contact. I'm unsure if this would be an issue on DE razors, but if someone with more knowledge comes along, I'd like to clarify that.

I was pleasantly surprised that they actually kept the titanium price pretty reasonable compared to the stainless steel razors. Sure their stainless steel razors are a bit higher than some other manufacturers products but they kept the titanium version fairly reasonable in comparison. When other manufacturers have introduced titanium razors they are usually a lot higher in cost than their stainless steel versions due to the increased difficulty in working with the material. So well done there.

As far as the differences in the metals and which one to choose goes it's going to depend on how heavy of a razor you prefer. I think personally I'd like the heavier Stainless Steel version a bit more but I would certainly like to try the titanium version to compare it.

That being said I'm still hoping that bronze or copper appear soon as I would buy one of those the minute it became available.

I was pleasantly surprised that they actually kept the titanium price pretty reasonable compared to the stainless steel razors. Sure their stainless steel razors are a bit higher than some other manufacturers products but they kept the titanium version fairly reasonable in comparison. When other manufacturers have introduced titanium razors they are usually a lot higher in cost than their stainless steel versions due to the increased difficulty in working with the material. So well done there.

As far as the differences in the metals and which one to choose goes it's going to depend on how heavy of a razor you prefer. I think personally I'd like the heavier Stainless Steel version a bit more but I would certainly like to try the titanium version to compare it.

That being said I'm still hoping that bronze or copper appear soon as I would buy one of those the minute it became available.

I know of no one who has done a true bronze razor yet. Brass is soft enough so I have seen enough damaged Gillette razors made from it that it does not stand up well to handle over tightening and wear. The threads do wear and I have had to fit some razors with threaded inserts for repair purposes. True copper is too soft and will wear worse than brass. As I recall the copper razors from Charcoal Goods are copper plated. There are many bronze alloys with varied corrosion resistance and strength. IMO better than brass but less appealing than stainless. I have made a 360 alloy bronze razor stand and may try a handle.

I know of no one who has done a true bronze razor yet. Brass is soft enough so I have seen enough damaged Gillette razors made from it that it does not stand up well to handle over tightening and wear. The threads do wear and I have had to fit some razors with threaded inserts for repair purposes. True copper is too soft and will wear worse than brass. As I recall the copper razors from Charcoal Goods are copper plated. There are many bronze alloys with varied corrosion resistance and strength. IMO better than brass but less appealing than stainless. I have made a 360 alloy bronze razor stand and may try a handle.

You are far more knowledgeable about metals than I am but do check out the Wolfman Razors site as I believe he's offering razors in all of these metals. Maybe some more detail there as to exactly what metals they are.

I thought the Gillette "NEW" head was made of copper? It is then plated with nickel and then gold and lacquer?

I've seen a lot being sold with shiny copper heads, when the gold and nickel plating wore out they just remove the rest of what's left and polish the copper which looks a lot better than wore out gold and nickel and is usually sold at a higher price.

I've got a short comb that I wanted to get cerakote coating on it but I'm hesitant because the gold finish is still very much intact and looks good.
I'm trying to find a cheaper one in good condition as far as the structure but with the coating coming off and send this to get cerakote coating instead of the near mint condition I have right now. I don't want it just for the looks and protection but correct me if I'm wrong I hear the cerakote makes the razor glide smoother?

You are far more knowledgeable about metals than I am but do check out the Wolfman Razors site as I believe he's offering razors in all of these metals. Maybe some more detail there as to exactly what metals they are.

A skilled machinist can probably do a razor out of any metal or alloy that can be machined. How durable and practical it will be is another matter.

I think the justification angle I'm going to try w my wife is "improved chemical inertness "!

Love this forum!

Oh and when your wife finds out you spent 250 donuts on a DE razor and wallops you with a rolling pin, you'll be able to keep your razor in your pocket during your brain MRI...

I don't have a wife so I ordered one as soon as I got the email. On my phone. At a stoplight.
I already have the OC Scalloped head so I went with the SB plain cap. .95. I didn't get the
stand. Maybe later.

Top Bottom