What's new

Timeless Ti & Stainless Thin Razor.... Saaaweeeet!!!

Took a Ti Slim out for its maiden voyage yesterday. First shave, but I’m impressed. Fairly effortless BBS. To my face, it is a bit more efficient with more blade feel than a Timeless .95, but I don’t mind blade feel. I’ll be touring with it for the next two weeks and will report back, bit I think it’s going to be a keeper.

The .50 SS Slim has been a truly great performer from day one. Smooth, efficient and highly maneuverable anywhere on one’s mug. I still think though that the regular Ti .95 SB version is a bit easier on my face in terms of smoothness and blade feel but, they are extremely close. As I’ve said before and there are many that have said the same. You can’t go wrong with whatever Timeless configuration you go with. For the far majority of shavers out there, it can be the end all be all razor easily.

SS Slim .50 paired with the Ti handle...

4F158933-69BD-4C15-9F67-26C62DCFFFED.jpeg

Back to the Slim for this early morning shave. Teamed it with the Ethos Lavender Supreme and it was over in 2.5 passes. A wee bit of irritation under the chin and jawline as I buffed & touched up to eradicate any remaining stragglers no fault of the razor or soap, just my overzealous action to achieve a BBS finish. The Hemp Seed Facial Mist and LEA splash took care of that in minutes. The Slim .5 delivers every time with a flawless shave despite its owners moronic indulgences to achieve facial perfection smoothness. I’m the clown, not the razor.

Great day and shaves to all...

1DA3486E-9D4F-45CA-B614-CDBEE610F6E1.jpeg

Took a Ti Slim out for its maiden voyage yesterday. First shave, but I’m impressed. Fairly effortless BBS. To my face, it is a bit more efficient with more blade feel than a Timeless .95, but I don’t mind blade feel. I’ll be touring with it for the next two weeks and will report back, bit I think it’s going to be a keeper.
So what’s the verdict? I found it to be far less efficient than my Ti .95SB.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I emailed them to ask, and got a very prompt reply, as usual.
Topcap is the same.
As for aggressiveness and feel... Matt’s opinion is that “it is more aggressive than .95 plate, and has more blade feel. The angle of the blade is less with this versus the original baseplate.”
So it sounds like it’s the overall geometry of the head, and the angle at which it clamps the blade.

I’m looking forward to some reviews as well...

I agree, reviews are very helpful. Of course, they're also very dangerous. I've noticed I buy fewer razors when I read fewer reviews.

The overall geometry is the determining factor as far as I can tell, but maybe I'm wrong.

I know nothing.480.png

Truthfully I don't know jack about designing razors, but maybe it's not just about gap and blade exposure. Gillette seems to have known that when they designed and made the excellent Old Type and when they designed and made the excellent Executive.

Do razor manufactures fumble about until they find something that works or do they actually understand how to design razors that will work well? It seems pretty clear it's a bit of both, but I don't see any universally loved razors.

I've used the new Timeless Slim (used one which was purchased by me to ship to a member overseas who allowed me to use it for a week before sending it on). I own only one Timeless, the Bronze, in the SB and in the OC.

Timeless used to say the Bronze OC was their most aggressive razor. Now they say it's the Slim which is most aggressive.

"Aggressive" is, in my opinion, a meaningless term without definition. I never know what it means unless it's defined in context. Does it mean efficient? Does it mean rough? Some combination of the two? The opposite of "mild?"

I use the term aggressive to describe razors which seem prone to biting me and define the term in the context. I use smooth to describe razors which feel smooth on my skin during the shave. Some razors are clearly more efficient than others. How any of this has anything to do with gap and blade exposure and other design parameters is beyond me.

I liked the Slim a lot, but not enough to buy one.

The Bronze has really surprised me. At present I think the Bronze SB is very very smooth, certainly smoother than the Bronze OC. However, both are very efficient. It's confusing to me, but the OC baseplate seems to favor my skin more. In spite of the SB being incredibly smooth, I think maybe the OC delivers a shave which is more comfortable, especially after the shave.

I would not say the Bronze is aggressive at all. I like it a lot, more than the Slim I think, but the inexpensive FOCS might beat them all.

In other words, nothing about razor design makes any sense to me, which leads to the logical conclusion being pursued by me and many others in the same boat, some of whom think they understand, and maybe they're right, razor design, which is what allows them to order Wolfman razors.

Enablers Buy them all for science.jpg

There is only ⬆ one ⬆ solution.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My main rotation includes the Polished Ti. 95, Wolf WR2 1.35, 17-4 and Karve F. Those are my sweet spot.

Nice ensemble of razors. Personally, the Polished Ti .95 is my favorite for a 3 piece. Then the Taiga covers everything else in your list (or anyone else’s to be honest) nicely with plenty to spare. Shaved with a couple of Wolfe’s but, nothing that gave me the “A ha!” feeling. Fine shaving jewelry though and true works of art in finish.

Nice ensemble of razors. Personally, the Polished Ti .95 is my favorite for a 3 piece. Then the Taiga covers everything else in your list (or anyone else’s to be honest) nicely with plenty to spare. Shaved with a couple of Wolfe’s but, nothing that gave me the “A ha!” feeling. Fine shaving jewelry though and true works of art in finish.

How does the Ti 0.95 or Slim compare to the Carbon ++?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You guys like the Ti 95 a lot more than the SS 95. I'm considering buying just the baseplate (and using it with my Bronze which is, as I understand it, perfectly possible). Is the Ti worth the extra money? If so, what makes it worth it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes
Sold the Slim. Found the polished Ti .95 just as efficient and a good bit smoother. For those who like more blade, the Slim could be the sweet spot. I prefer highly efficient, yet still smooth shavers.
You guys like the Ti 95 a lot more than the SS 95. I'm considering buying just the baseplate (and using it with my Bronze which is, as I understand it, perfectly possible). Is the Ti worth the extra money? If so, what makes it worth it?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes, I like the Ti .95 better than the SS .95. For me, the SS .95 is a fine razor, but the Ti is truly an elite shaver that occupies rare air with only a small handful of other razors listed in post #88.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm not considering buying either the Ti 95 razor nor the SS 95 razor. I'm only going to buy one of the baseplates if I buy anything. My question concerns only the baseplate (which would be used with my Timeless Bronze razor). Any advantage there of the Ti over the SS? If so, what?

Sorry for not being more clear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm not considering buying either the Ti 95 razor nor the SS 95 razor. I'm only going to buy one of the baseplates if I buy anything. My question concerns only the baseplate (which would be used with my Timeless Bronze razor). Any advantage there of the Ti over the SS? If so, what?

Sorry for not being more clear.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Chan Eil Whiskers, Jim what I get out of the Ti vs S/S is more on the skin feel end. Titanium for lack of a better word just "feels warmer" on my face and is slightly smoother feeling. It's hard describing the effect but, that's as close as I can sort of explain it. Perhaps the alloys properties and ionization effect has something to do with that feeling I stated. Besides the obvious of course, that Ti is lighter and yes, more expensive.

Good luck on the journey... :thumbup1:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The price of the matte Ti 95 baseplate isn't a ton more than a scratch and dent SS polished. The polished Ti is $25 more.

Any advice on OC vs CC in the 95 baseplate. Generally I prefer OC all things being equal (which they often aren't of course).

If I buy a Ti 95 baseplate should I get matte or polished? Does it matter (other than looks with my Timeless Bronze which is a looker)? Is there a functional difference with the shave?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

The price of the matte Ti 95 baseplate isn't a ton more than a scratch and dent SS polished. The polished Ti is $25 more.

Any advice on OC vs CC in the 95 baseplate. Generally I prefer OC all things being equal (which they often aren't of course).

If I buy a Ti 95 baseplate should I get matte or polished? Does it matter (other than looks with my Timeless Bronze which is a looker)? Is there a functional difference with the shave?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

You'll be fine with OC and finish is a non issue. They both work equally well imo.....

Top Bottom