What's new

Timeless Ti Slim = OLD

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:cuppa: Timeless Titanium (Ti) Slim head and Crown handle arrived yesterday. They have both been reviewed thoroughly by forumites, so this isn't really a review, but I had an immediate impression I wanted to confirm with others.

full

The instant this thing touched my face, I said "It's an OLD!" Let me explain.

For the first few years of this DE shaving nonsense/rabbit hole/hobby/lunacy, I used nothing but vintage - in fact, I tried to get one of each vintage Gillette. Of course I failed, but have shaved with most of them. And one of the best to me is a good Gillette OLD. Yes, they can be crazy mean/aggressive. But you know for sure you're getting a close and precise shave.

full

Slim is a precise cutting tool. It has that identical "feel" of precision. It gets under nose so well.

Once I borrowed a friend's car that had expensive racing tires on it. The difference in driving was eye-opening. It's that kind of difference.

full

Clearly I like titanium. Timeless Ti 68 Scalloped, 68OC and 95OC - and both caps - in the house. But Slim is a whole 'nother razor!

Only one shave today, true and that doesn't make a review. But I already "know" this razor. It's a Ti OLD! :lol:

The 68s are super reliable shaves. The 95OC can bite me, though. Sometimes get rash/weepers with Ti 95OC, got none today with Slim.

Seems like I read the 68 corresponds to a Gillette adjustable on "5," and the 95 a "7." :mellow: Bu I always shaved adjustable on 7 or even 9, so was never sure why the 95 would bite.

Oh. The Crown handle. Grippy as heck with two kinds of non-knurling, and can be held several different ways. It is clearly well thought out. Not as attractive as others but you'll never drop it.

Heh, heh. Drop a vintage soft brass Gillette OC and you'll bend a corner tooth. Drop a Timeless Ti and you'll chip your sink! Ti is sometimes called "Gawd's metal" in outdoor forums and I agree. It is the perfect point of weight-for-touch.

Read everyone else's reviews and wasn't sure another aggressive Timeless was right. This one is a new ball game and I like it!

AA

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
:cuppa: Timeless Titanium (Ti) Slim head and Crown handle arrived yesterday. They have both been reviewed thoroughly by forumites, so this isn't really a review, but I had an immediate impression I wanted to confirm with others.

full

For the first few years of this DE shaving nonsense/rabbit hole/hobby/lunacy, I used nothing but vintage - in fact, I tried to get one of each vintage Gillette. Of course I failed, but have shaved with most of them. And one of the best to me is a good Gillette OLD. Yes, they can be crazy mean/aggressive. But you know for sure you're getting a close and precise shave.

full

Slim is a precise cutting tool. It has that identical "feel" of precision. It gets under nose so well.

Once I borrowed a friend's car that had expensive racing tires on it. The difference in driving was eye-opening. It's that kind of difference.

full

Clearly I like titanium. Timeless Ti 68 Scalloped, 68OC and 95OC - and both caps - in the house. But Slim is a whole 'nother razor!

Only one shave today, true and that doesn't make a review. But I already "know" this razor. It's a Ti OLD! :lol:

The 68s are super reliable shaves. The 95OC can bite me, though. Sometimes get rash/weepers with Ti 95OC, got none today with Slim.

Seems like I read the 68 corresponds to a Gillette adjustable on "5," and the 95 a "7." :mellow: Bu I always shaved adjustable on 7 or even 9, so was never sure why the 95 would bite.

Oh. The Crown handle. Grippy as heck with two kinds of non-knurling, and can be held several different ways. It is clearly well thought out. Not as attractive as others but you'll never drop it.

Heh, heh. Drop a vintage soft brass Gillette OC and you'll bend a corner tooth. Drop a Timeless Ti and you'll chip your sink! Ti is sometimes called "Gawd's metal" in outdoor forums and I agree. It is the perfect point of weight-for-touch.

Read everyone else's reviews and wasn't sure another aggressive Timeless was right. This one is a new ball game and I like it!

AA

The Timeless razors are all excellent but the Slim has become my favorite.

Great handles. The handle on the far left is the Handlebar. If I am not mistaken, the one on the far right is also an Evgeny Koshelev (rusdrunkbear) Ti Handle? Which model is that one?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Timeless razors are all excellent but the Slim has become my favorite.

Great handles. The handle on the far left is the Handlebar. If I am not mistaken, the one on the far right is also an Evgeny Koshelev (rusdrunkbear) Ti Handle? Which model is that one?

Hm, didn't know the names. Both are indeed Evgeny: an awesome artist from the land with plenty of Ti!

Handlebar, I think of as the Vostok ...

the other, the Six-Shooter. It's got six flutes like a revolver.

Since I gravitate to space and firearms, these are faves.

The Slim head is spectacular. Doesn't it remind you of a Gillette OLD?

AA

full

full

full

AA

Congrats on new razor, and glad you’re enjoying it!

I’ve never tried the .68 plate, but love the Ti .95 SB... great balance of efficiency and smoothness/ comfort, even as a daily shaver.

I’ve been debating whether to try the Ti SLIM SB, especially as I’ve seen completely different opinions about it… ranging from more efficient than .95, but also much more blade feel and less comfortable, to not a lot of blade feel, but considerably less efficient than .95…
I guess it comes down to “YMMV”, and everyone’s face and technique is different, etc, etc….

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hm, didn't know the names. Both are indeed Evgeny: an awesome artist from the land with plenty of Ti!

Handlebar, I think of as the Vostok ...

the other, the Six-Shooter. It's got six flutes like a revolver.

Since I gravitate to space and firearms, these are faves.

The Slim head is spectacular. Doesn't it remind you of a Gillette OLD?

AA

I have the Ti SB head so not so much the Gillette Old (which is one of my favorite vintage razors). I'll have to give this some thought. 🤔

full

full

full

AA
I think if you had the polished handle you would think differently about it’s attractiveness.
76A2E89E-5D9D-4021-9CF0-08EEB77787F5.jpeg

Glad you like your new Slim. I've had/or have stainless 68 SB and OC, 95 SB, Ti 95SB, and Ti Slim SB. I have come to terms that me and Timeless just don't get along. I get ok shaves, but I don't find them very efficient compared to my other top performers. I'm down to just the stainless 68 SB and OC and 95 SB base plates and I think I'm going to put them for sale soon. They are super smooth shavers, which I like, but efficiency is below par to me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glad you like your new Slim. I've had/or have stainless 68 SB and OC, 95 SB, Ti 95SB, and Ti Slim SB. I have come to terms that me and Timeless just don't get along. I get ok shaves, but I don't find them very efficient compared to my other top performers. I'm down to just the stainless 68 SB and OC and 95 SB base plates and I think I'm going to put them for sale soon. They are super smooth shavers, which I like, but efficiency is below par to me.

🤔 Efficiency I got is a face as smooth as a lightbulb! 🤣

Everybody is different. Still unsure why the 95OC is a poor performer for me...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the Ti SB head so not so much the Gillette Old (which is one of my favorite vintage razors). I'll have to give this some thought. 🤔

🤔 It might be the angle, or some other value. For me shaving is like shooting a slingshot: completely without thinking or conscious effort. It just screamed Gillette OLD, to me. Lots and lots of blade feel.

AA

Last edited:
🤔 Efficiency I got is a face as smooth as a lightbulb! 🤣

Everybody is different. Still unsure why the 95OC is a poor performer for me...

AA

Yeah I know I'm the odd ball here as most love Timeless razors. I wanted to really like them as I gave almost all models the ole college try. I really like their design and smoothness....just wish they performed better for me. I can buff and buff and still not get results as other razors in my den.

Glad they work well for you.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
How come it shaves like an Old if it is a safety bar, not open comb razor?

Good point. Pretty sure it's the angle, blade exposure or some other unconscious feel element. The teeth on an OLD are smaller by comparison also, I think, with the Timeless OC and the Gillette NEW, for that matter.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Another stellar shave today. No weepers, no rash, no nicks.

The added concentration of shaving with this much blade feel restores the Zen experience of a good shave. I was hurrying and thinking of other things while using other razors. You WILL concentrate with this (or an OLD) or you WILL get cut.

Actually had irritation and a couple weepers earlier in the week with the 68 scalloped, if you can believe. (But I was coming off a week of shaving with a cart - air travel).

Ridiculously close. Even ATG, XTG, WTG etc. Face smooth like a corian countertop. And yesterday's shave lasted - no 5 o'clock shadow.

AA

🤔 It might be the angle, or some other value. For me shaving is like shooting a slingshot: completely without thinking or conscious effort. It just screamed Gillette OLD, to me. Lots and lots of blade feel.

AA

Reviving an old thread. Do you use a shallow angle "riding the cap" like a Gillette Old type for a silent efficient shave ?

I've been experimenting with the Titanium slim SB for a while and I find its angle of attack to be narrow and works best at shallow angles, if that is what you meant.

Steep angles scrape the skin and literally skim the stubble leaving tons of it behind. I am a zero pressure guy - at the right angle any razor will cut what it will - but no pressure to induce it to cut.

I am still not very comfortable as this razor is not too efficient for me like the other timeless baseplates. Still on the fence.

Any insights on the shave angle and the technique you use will help.

I don't have a Slim but love my dozens of all types of Olds. I use them with a steep angle. So, I also would like to know if you are using the Slim with a steep or shallow angle. If the Slim can be used with a steep angle it will be definitely a candidate for my next purchase...

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Reviving an old thread. Do you use a shallow angle "riding the cap" like a Gillette Old type for a silent efficient shave ?
I use the Slim in the SS version, OC comb.

just used it a few days ago.

The thing with the cutting angle, hmm, yes, that smooth cutting angle is closer to the cap, shallow. But the razor is really best at a scraping type of cut. There it also has a much larger angle available, basically I start a bit steeper and and slowly glide into the shallow angle. This isn't super skin friendly, but it is giving a very close and clean shave.

This said, the quest to make this a buttery smooth shaver, I don't think the design is good for that at all. You will have to live with quite some felt blade contact on your skin with the Slim, I am afraid.

The polar opposite of this style is the Wunderbar: It mostly either cuts or it doesn't, it is smoother to the skin than most razors in my den. I would even claim it is the smoothest. This comes with the drawback that you always have to cut, scraping under the nose with a shallow angle and that head is challenging, as you must cut, it barely can scrape like the Timeless or Envoy e.g. can.

I will do another shave report of the Monocero Husaria in a few hours, it is about as thorough as the R41, but way easier to use. Unlike the Slim it has a tendency to bite right away when it is not shaving smoothly. It gives some feedback before it is going to bite, will go into detail right after I shaved with it again. Stay tuned! ;)

This said, the .95 head from Timeless is a super smooth shaver, but I have to correct a lot, often I find some stubble where I didn't expect it. The Slim is not as smooth, but way more effective for me.

Top Bottom