What's new

Timeless Ti Slim = OLD

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't have a Slim but love my dozens of all types of Olds. I use them with a steep angle. So, I also would like to know if you are using the Slim with a steep or shallow angle. If the Slim can be used with a steep angle it will be definitely a candidate for my next purchase...
While I am obviously not Ad Astra, I use the Slim mostly steep. You can reduce a certain scrape with a shallow angle if you want, but it excels rather at a scraping type of cut than being utterly smooth with no blade feel. It has a lot of leeway and will cut either way, "This is smooth with the correct angle and rough with the wrong angle" is what Timeless writes. Supposedly people are to ride the cap much more than I usually do. I have it always digging a little into the skin, but this is also what makes it more effective than the other Timeless plates, IMO. I am the opposite of luv2shave in this regard, I find the 0.5 to be more efficient than the .95 Timeless plate.

While I am obviously not Ad Astra, I use the Slim mostly steep. You can reduce a certain scrape with a shallow angle if you want, but it excels rather at a scraping type of cut than being utterly smooth with no blade feel. It has a lot of leeway and will cut either way, "This is smooth with the correct angle and rough with the wrong angle" is what Timeless writes. Supposedly people are to ride the cap much more than I usually do. I have it always digging a little into the skin, but this is also what makes it more effective than the other Timeless plates, IMO. I am the opposite of luv2shave in this regard, I find the 0.5 to be more efficient than the .95 Timeless plate.

Thank you for chiming in to share your feedback. I find the 95 scalloped bar to be supremely efficient and if you find the slim to be more efficient, I need to experiment with the angle I am using. The Timeless product page does say that this needs a different angle from their normal base plates.

Last edited:
The Timeless Slim 0.5 and the Timeless Bronze 0.78 OC are both very efficient razors indeed. I find them both to be noticeably more efficient than the 0.95, and they are great razors if you do not mind a bit of blade feel. I really love the Slim in titanium because it is so light, nimble and efficient. The Bronze 0.78 is equal, though, and the feel of the polished brass is quite pleasant.

I had a ti 95 earlier this year but I disliked it and returned it to the manufacturer. The slim might have fit me better if it is more similar to an old.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Reviving an old thread. Do you use a shallow angle "riding the cap" like a Gillette Old type for a silent efficient shave ?

I've been experimenting with the Titanium slim SB for a while and I find its angle of attack to be narrow and works best at shallow angles, if that is what you meant.

Steep angles scrape the skin and literally skim the stubble leaving tons of it behind. I am a zero pressure guy - at the right angle any razor will cut what it will - but no pressure to induce it to cut.

I am still not very comfortable as this razor is not too efficient for me like the other timeless baseplates. Still on the fence.

Any insights on the shave angle and the technique you use will help.

I'll have to look! 🤣 This razor is still my daily driver, but I never really notice the angle, I do it by feel.

Great to see the thread revived. I'll stand by the original thought, it reminds me of the precise shave of the OLD.

AA

I am compelled to rekindle this thread each time I pick up my Timeless Slim.

Over the past few shaves, I've been focusing on refining my technique, angle of shave and a good blade for my Timeless Ti slim 0.5 SB. I am getting incredible shaves!

I can now confirm and clearly see the similarity with the Gillette old type. The post shave skin feel and efficiency is very similar. The slim however has much higher blade feel, but is an extremely smooth and efficient razor once dialed in.

Timeless has rightly said that this is one smooth razor at right angle and extremely efficient, and a rough shaver at the wrong angle and not at all efficient.

Next I plan to get the Slim OC baseplate probably in polished SS purely for the weight, but then they don't make the crown handle in SS.

Ugh...the choices one has to make !!

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Next I plan to get the Slim OC baseplate probably in polished SS purely for the weight, but then they don't make the crown handle in SS.

Ugh...the choices one has to make !!
Very much seconded! I can't comment on the Old Zype feeling, I would also say the Slim is always efficient, just not smooth whem one is at the wrong angle. It doesn't tend to bite though, courtesy of the very low gap.

The CROWN TI handle. I hear you! The effing problem is the Ti/Titanium. Same problem for their Spiral handle. This is one is also available in Bronze/Brass at least, but the Crown only in Titanium. It has a very grippy shape, so weight would not be a concern. They offer the super heavy 14mm/100 solid rod Barber Pole in SS, after all. I still hope they might read the demand for a SS version of the awesome Crown handle, we are not the only ones hoping for one in near future.

Regarding the OC for the Slim, and OC for Timeless in general: They line up perfectly with their scalloped caps, which looks awesome. The rounded and inward pointing edges of the open comb are the best open comb design I have experienced so far. You won't regret getting the OC. It is apparently a bit more efficient, the effect seems to be more pronounced for the .95 Timeless though.

I have the SS Timeless polished 0.68 OC with a scalloped cap and it is one of the smoothest razors I have. I also have the 95 in scalloped bar and it has blade feel but smooth

I find the slim much more efficient and I have also observed that I will need to reduce the number of passes and strokes per pass with the slim as its so damn efficient. If I use the same technique/ strokes and passes as with the other Timeless plates, my skin feels a bit raw and irritated and I find the stubble doesn't reappear till atleast 3 to 4 additional hours after, over the shave from the usual Timeless heads it cuts so close. The technique and angle has to be spot on all over the face and this can get a bit tricky under the jaw line. Matter of time i can manage this.

I like that the Titanium spiral handle and razor has the right weight between aluminum and stainless steel razors. The Timeless stainless steel razor is in particular a bit on the heavier side. The titanium razor is supremely maneuverable along all of the face contours.

20220129_201456.jpg

Last edited:
I would probably buy the Ti Slim base plate if Matt made it in a dual comb like my Ti95DC as I really enjoy using the OC for the 1st pass and SB for the 2nd every shave out and its where I find the best combo of smoothness / efficiency of the razor. Until then it will only be the Ti95DC on the shelf being the only Timeless I own!!

Top Bottom