What's new

Timeless Ti on top?

Hey there,

My name came up on the Wolfman list. So, I was just about to pull the trigger on a SS WR2-SB 1.25 gap with a titanium WRH2 handle. I briefly owned a Timeless Ti .95 DC (which gave me a great shave) but I got rid of it because I had been wanting a Wolfman. Since you have both, I was wondering if you could give me some insight between the two. Is the WR2 1.25 close to the feel and efficiency of the Timeless? Do you feel the Wolfman is worth ponying up the extra cash for? Or do you find the Timeless just as sweet. I am on the fence whether to go for the Wolfman (worried about picking the right gap and how it will work for me) or just get the Timeless again since I know it is a sweet shaver and works great for me. Thank you.
Ok, so I need to issue the disclaimer of YMMV because it’s your face and your money and these things aren’t cheap lol!

From an efficiency standpoint, I consistently get a closer shave from my Timeless Ti .95 OC than I do from my WR 1.25 SB. Note that I said consistently, not constantly, because on occasion, I get just as close a shave from the Wolf, but not consistently. This might boil down to shaving angle. The Timeless works well with a neutral shave angle, which is quite natural for me. The Wolf shaves best with a steep angle, which I find awkward (though many prefer). Both are very smooth razors, especially for the high blade gaps, but I find the Timeless to be a tad smoother. Now I do not have a Titanium WR2. Mine is stainless steel razor with a solid 90 mm handle. So, compared to the Timeless it’s very heavy. I prefer the lighter, effortlessly maneuverable titanium. Undoubtedly that factor would be negated for me if I bought a titanium Wolfman (at a hefty price). So I prefer my Timeless. However, I do love my Wolfman. It’s the most beautiful razor I own. The other consideration is the ease of selling a Wolfman for 100% of your cost if you decide the brand or the gap are not for you. Of course Timeless does make purchasing quick and easy, with a return policy.

I hope that helps!

That sure does help! Thank you for taking the time to respond. When I had my Timeless, I thought how much better can it get and with all things considered I'm now leaning toward going with the Timeless. Eventhough I must admit I was pretty stoked to get the email from Tara after a 6 month long wait!

Maybe I'll just go for a nice Darwin handle to compliment a Timeless Ti .95 DC. Decisions...Decisions.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hey there,

My name came up on the Wolfman list. So, I was just about to pull the trigger on a SS WR2-SB 1.25 gap with a titanium WRH2 handle. I briefly owned a Timeless Ti .95 DC (which gave me a great shave) but I got rid of it because I had been wanting a Wolfman. Since you have both, I was wondering if you could give me some insight between the two. Is the WR2 1.25 close to the feel and efficiency of the Timeless? Do you feel the Wolfman is worth ponying up the extra cash for? Or do you find the Timeless just as sweet. I am on the fence whether to go for the Wolfman (worried about picking the right gap and how it will work for me) or just get the Timeless again since I know it is a sweet shaver and works great for me. Thank you.
Hi @Mr Merlin

I was about to pull the trigger on a WR2 1.25 when a friend loaned me his WR2 1.15 and a Ti95OC baseplate to try out, and I already had a Ti95SB with the stainless scalloped cap.

Using the same disclaimer that @HabanaRon used, these razors aren't cheap, so YMMV.

I absolutely loved the WR2 1.15, but found it willing to jump up and bite if not paying attention. For me the WR2 1.15 felt like my Mühle R41 but waaaaay smoother.
I only shave once or twice a week so comfort is my main priority, I kept the Ti95OC, sent the WR2 1.15 back and got a WR2 0.95 in stainless, standard finish.

The Wolfman is absolutely stunning, and is just comfortable as my Ti95OC. I'm keeping 'em both.

~doug~

Hi @Mr Merlin

I was about to pull the trigger on a WR2 1.25 when a friend loaned me his WR2 1.15 and a Ti95OC baseplate to try out, and I already had a Ti95SB with the stainless scalloped cap.

Using the same disclaimer that @HabanaRon used, these razors aren't cheap, so YMMV.

I absolutely loved the WR2 1.15, but found it willing to jump up and bite if not paying attention. For me the WR2 1.15 felt like my Mühle R41 but waaaaay smoother.
I only shave once or twice a week so comfort is my main priority, I kept the Ti95OC, sent the WR2 1.15 back and got a WR2 0.95 in stainless, standard finish.

The Wolfman is absolutely stunning, and is just comfortable as my Ti95OC. I'm keeping 'em both.

~doug~
Thanks for your input. I need to make up my mind this weekend for sure Tara let know she’s got my invoice ready.

I have a WR2 1.25 and this razor has a deep learning curve. It requires a very steep angle and a very light touch, zero pressure. When I use steep plus zero pressure it’s so smooth, almost feel like there is no blade, but when the angle was off or you use too much pressure you can overshave. In my experience I never feel this razor will bite me, but is easy to overshave because you can feel the blade.

I don’t know if I get a 0.95 to get a milder shave or I get a 1.55 to get more blade feel. Some times, with the 1.25 I don’t feel where the blade and that leads me to overshave.

I am 2 shaves in with me WR2 0.95 Ti SB, and neither it nor my TiBird are shaving me as closely as my Timeless Ti Slim SB or my Barbaros TR-2. Maybe some technique adjustments will change this. WR2 is the smoothest though, along with the TR-2.

I’ve had quite a few Ti alloyed razors that have shaved extraordinarily well with a feel that is unique in face feel and performance. But, I have always reached for the Timeless Ti the most as I believe it delivers a more complete package in overall shave feel in function & beauty. There are some perhaps that look better to the eye and even might give a bit more in shave prowess and yet for me the Timeless Ti has withstood the challenge from those others (Haircut & Shave Ti PO.76 Ti & Carbon Cx-Ti in .68, .88 & 1.08 respectively) with nary a flinch. For me, it’s the best 3 piece DE razor that I own, regardless of alloy.

4FC39132-BF74-4C35-A314-7AFD45EA2E31.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had quite a few Ti alloyed razors that have shaved extraordinarily well with a feel that is unique in face feel and performance. But, I have always reached for the Timeless Ti the most as I believe it delivers a more complete package in overall shave feel in function & beauty. There are some perhaps that look better to the eye and even might give a bit more in shave prowess and yet for me the Timeless Ti has withstood the challenge from those others (Haircut & Shave Ti PO.76 Ti & Carbon Cx-Ti in .68, .88 & 1.08 respectively) with nary a flinch. For me, it’s the best 3 piece DE razor that I own, regardless of alloy.

View attachment 1481589
Gus (pretty sure that’s right) I always enjoy your thoughtful posts so much. You have a great shave collection and take great pics too! We share a love for this razor. I will acknowledge though that I am curious about how a Ti Blackbird compares. I may have to scratch that itch. Happy shaves sir!

Gus (pretty sure that’s right) I always enjoy your thoughtful posts so much. You have a great shave collection and take great pics too! We share a love for this razor. I will acknowledge though that I am curious about how a Ti Blackbird compares. I may have to scratch that itch. Happy shaves sir!
Thank you, my friend. The Ti Blackbird is a bit different versus the Timeless Ti. Nearly as smooth as the Timeless but, just a bit more blade forward. For me the shaves were nearly identical between the two with the Timeless being just a smidge smoother and easier to throw around. The results with the Blackbird Ti are world class nevertheless and it’s an amazing shaver.

Good luck on your search & acquisition for the Blackbird Ti… :thumbup1:

The blackbird is closer to the Carbon CX than the timeless. The blade exposure, etc but in general, if you like blade feel you will love both the blackbird ti and the Carbon Ti.

Couldn’t disagree with you more on the comparison of these three top tier razors in the Titanium alloy shave battlefield. First and foremost, the Blackbird Ti leads the pack in blade exposure by a substantial margin. The key with the Blackbird Ti is on how you attack your whiskers whether it being a neutral, steep or shallow angle of attack. So that we are on the same page, I view shallow angle of attack as the razor cap closer to the face & handle turned or pulled away from one’s face. Steep for me is the razor turned towards the safety bar with the handle more closer to the face during the shave. Neutral is exactly that, in between both shallow & steep. The Blackbird Ti exhibits the most change in more or less blade feel than the others by simply adjusting from steep to shallow or vice versa in shave angles. It is also more prone to making one pay if you slip up slightly during the shave. The Carbon Cx-Ti to be quite honest is not in the same league with these two. And that is simply because the Cx is designed with neutral or negative blade exposure especially when the gap size is increased from the .68 on through to the .88 and 1.08 gaps respectively (the owner of Carbon even says he designed and intended it to be this way to assure an easy and smooth shave as one went up on the gap sizes). The other two, Blackbird & Timeless are designed with both positive blade exposure and will undoubtedly feel more aggressive in nature compared to the Cx. For me it’s the mildest shaver of the three and for mild shaver seekers that want a unique feel in Titanium, it’s a choice to be considered and in my experience the easiest of the three to get acquainted with.

Happy shaves… :shaving:

Couldn’t disagree with you more on the comparison of these three top tier razors in the Titanium alloy shave battlefield. First and foremost, the Blackbird Ti leads the pack in blade exposure by a substantial margin. The key with the Blackbird Ti is on how you attack your whiskers whether it being a neutral, steep or shallow angle of attack. So that we are on the same page, I view shallow angle of attack as the razor cap closer to the face & handle turned or pulled away from one’s face. Steep for me is the razor turned towards the safety bar with the handle more closer to the face during the shave. Neutral is exactly that, in between both shallow & steep. The Blackbird Ti exhibits the most change in more or less blade feel than the others by simply adjusting from steep to shallow or vice versa in shave angles. It is also more prone to making one pay if you slip up slightly during the shave. The Carbon Cx-Ti to be quite honest is not in the same league with these two. And that is simply because the Cx is designed with neutral or negative blade exposure especially when the gap size is increased from the .68 on through to the .88 and 1.08 gaps respectively (the owner of Carbon even says he designed and intended it to be this way to assure an easy and smooth shave as one went up on the gap sizes). The other two, Blackbird & Timeless are designed with both positive blade exposure and will undoubtedly feel more aggressive in nature compared to the Cx. For me it’s the mildest shaver of the three and for mild shaver seekers that want a unique feel in Titanium, it’s a choice to be considered and in my experience the easiest of the three to get acquainted with.

Happy shaves… :shaving:
By chance are you thinking of a different razor than the Carbon Cx? All plates (even the mild .71) have positive blade exposure (see chart below). I have both the .68 and .71 (mild). Both plates make the blade sing from the positive blade exposure cutting through my whiskers.

I have been lucky enough to own all 3 Ti razors along with many others. The only plate I didn’t have from Timeless was the slim, which I wish I had a chance to try.

Although the shaving angle of the BB is closer to the Yates 921 of my rotational razors, if you use the .71 carbon plate with a steeper angle is much closer to that of the BB. The top image below is of Carbon Plates, the bottom image is from Blackland which they no longer publish. It is easy to see the positive exposure of all carbon plates which Sean confirms, but you are also correct that riding the cap will tame the blade exposure which is not an option on the blackbird. Some of this may come down to technique, some blade preference, some just subjective feel. D8B2510E-C6BD-4F08-B711-03A604739C2D.jpegC3157194-5BEB-4E39-9237-C372D8B12AA7.jpegC3157194-5BEB-4E39-9237-C372D8B12AA7.jpeg

All aside, it’s not subjective on blade exposure, it’s objective. I measured each of the above on an optical comparator and with a laser profiler (using triangulation). So I’m comfortable with my observations of the three except for the Timeless Slim which I have never experienced.

Last edited:
By chance are you thinking of a different razor than the Carbon Cx? All plates (even the mild .71) have positive blade exposure (see chart below). I have both the .68 and .71 (mild). Both plates make the blade sing from the positive blade exposure cutting through my whiskers.

I have been lucky enough to own all 3 Ti razors along with many others. The only plate I didn’t have from Timeless was the slim, which I wish I had a chance to try.

Although the shaving angle of the BB is closer to the Yates 921 of my rotational razors, if you use the .71 carbon plate with a steeper angle is much closer to that of the BB. The top image below is of Carbon Plates, the bottom image is from Blackland which they no longer publish. It is easy to see the positive exposure of all carbon plates which Sean confirms, but you are also correct that riding the cap will tame the blade exposure which is not an option on the blackbird. Some of this may come down to technique, some blade preference, some just subjective feel. View attachment 1481786View attachment 1481795View attachment 1481795

All aside, it’s not subjective on blade exposure, it’s objective. I measured each of the above on an optical comparator and with a laser profiler (using triangulation). So I’m comfortable with my observations of the three except for the Timeless Slim which I have never experienced.
No, you are correct. The Cx series does exhibit positive blade exposure throughout its whole range. I explained it wrong in that as the gaps are increased, the blade exposure is reduced yet, they still maintain positive blade exposure. My apologies as the caffeine was still trying to establish itself earlier this morning. :sleep12:

In my experience though I still put the Cx-Ti in 3rd behind these two. The blade feel just wasn’t as pronounced or direct as I thought it would be. Still a wonderful razor and my best shaves ironically came from the original .68 base plate which offers the most blade reveal/exposure of the bunch.

Happy shaves…

Although the shaving angle of the BB is closer to the Yates 921 of my rotational razors, if you use the .71 carbon plate with a steeper angle is much closer to that of the BB. The top image below is of Carbon Plates, the bottom image is from Blackland which they no longer publish. It is easy to see the positive exposure of all carbon plates which Sean confirms, but you are also correct that riding the cap will tame the blade exposure which is not an option on the blackbird. Some of this may come down to technique, some blade preference, some just subjective feel. View attachment 1481786View attachment 1481795View attachment 1481795

In addition to th Ti .95 OC, I have the Ti Slim SB plate and the SS Slim OC plate. For me, the Timeless Slim SB was too mild! I just can’t seem to get a close shave with it. The Slim OC, on the other hand, at least is stainless steel, is an aggressive beast! Lots of blade feel and super efficient.

No, you are correct. The Cx series does exhibit positive blade exposure throughout its whole range. I explained it wrong in that as the gaps are increased, the blade exposure is reduced yet, they still maintain positive blade exposure. My apologies as the caffeine was still trying to establish itself earlier this morning. :sleep12:

In my experience though I still put the Cx-Ti in 3rd behind these two. The blade feel just wasn’t as pronounced or direct as I thought it would be. Still a wonderful razor and my best shaves ironically came from the original .68 base plate which offers the most blade reveal/exposure of the bunch.

Happy shaves…
I think if you look real closely at the chart, the .68 does have monster blade exposure yet it’s a semi mild shaver (not that efficient). I can tell you without a doubt, it has more than the .95 Timeless and the blackbird. However, because both the BB and the Timeless are more efficient razors, you may feel more irritated if you go over the same area for buffing and touch up compared to the carbon. Both also shave you closer than the carbon (this is where the BB stands out for me, I can literally go an extra day without shaving). But I honestly feel more blade with the Carbon than the others. On a side note, the angle of the BB is really steep due to the bending of the blade. This really makes it efficient and I see the Yates as more similar.

I wish I still had my Timeless but I never got along with the bigger base plates. Would have loved to try the slim.

Reactions: Kix
Top Bottom