What's new

Timeless Stainless Steel vs. Titanium

I am looking into purchasing a Timeless razor with a solid bar base plate and 0.68mm blade gap. I have seen other posts about Timeless razors but nothing specifically addressing the differences between stainless steel and titanium. Can anyone provide some information regarding the differences between stainless steel and titanium specific to shaving? For me, the $30 price difference is not a big deal since I'll be spending a good amount of money regardless of which metal I choose. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Reactions: cka
Check this thread out. Though a simple search would give you about a dozen other good threads on this particular topic. Takes less than 2 minutes....

My only razor is a Ti95DC and has been my sole razor for going on 3 yrs now. It was originally purchased with .68 and .95 SB base plates but I soon found out that the .68 plate wasn't for me and sold it. Jan 2019 I sold the .95SB plate and purchased the DC OC/SB plate and is what I've used to this day.

As far as a comparison between SS / Ti, Back in 2019 I purchased a matte SS .95SB and a polished SS .95DC to do side by side shave comparisons due to what some people had posted and what their thoughts were but long story short the only difference I found at all was the difference in weight during the shave and that was very minimal to me at all. I never found the matte finish to drag at all as I never found the polished to have better glide. Razor to razor they both shaved my exactly the same it seemed. This was why I wound up keeping the Titanium and then swapping the base plate for the DC version as I found using the OC for pass #1 and SB for pass #2 worked exceptionally well for me as I found it to be both, more efficient and comfortable.

The only suggestion I've ever really made to someone considering any Timeless razor was to consider going with the DC option as it takes up less space on the shelf and you are set for anything from 1-4+ days growth in the same razor...

Check this thread out. Though a simple search would give you about a dozen other good threads on this particular topic. Takes less than 2 minutes....

Thank you. That's really helpful.

My only razor is a Ti95DC and has been my sole razor for going on 3 yrs now. It was originally purchased with .68 and .95 SB base plates but I soon found out that the .68 plate wasn't for me and sold it. Jan 2019 I sold the .95SB plate and purchased the DC OC/SB plate and is what I've used to this day.

As far as a comparison between SS / Ti, Back in 2019 I purchased a matte SS .95SB and a polished SS .95DC to do side by side shave comparisons due to what some people had posted and what their thoughts were but long story short the only difference I found at all was the difference in weight during the shave and that was very minimal to me at all. I never found the matte finish to drag at all as I never found the polished to have better glide. Razor to razor they both shaved my exactly the same it seemed. This was why I wound up keeping the Titanium and then swapping the base plate for the DC version as I found using the OC for pass #1 and SB for pass #2 worked exceptionally well for me as I found it to be both, more efficient and comfortable.

The only suggestion I've ever really made to someone considering any Timeless razor was to consider going with the DC option as it takes up less space on the shelf and you are set for anything from 1-4+ days growth in the same razor...

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.

Titanium will be more resistant to tea staining or corroding. I went with Titanium for that reason even though it isn't likely the stainless version will actually corrode or rust. My bathroom can get pretty humid at times.

M

member 119848

The geometry is the same, so the main difference is the weight.
Some prefer the chunkiness of steel, and others prefer a lighter weight for manoeuvrability.
I´m in the light-weight razors camp, but you might prefer the heft of a razor.

I wouldn´t compare the properties of each material too much, as our purpose is only to shave with it. True, titanium is more water-resistant than stainless steel, but SS should not cause problems when taken care of. Tea stains offen come from the blade that starts rusting and reacting with the steel of the razor. If you disassemble your razor and dry it after each use this should not happen.

Only real practical difference will be the weight. Titanium is roughly 55-60% the weight of stainless steel given 2 otherwise identical razors. It's a personal preference to a certain extent based on what you like the feel of, and what kind of technique you are used to. I think Ti can be a bit more forgiving because of the lighter weight. To the contrary, many people report SS as having a slight edge in aggression/efficiency due to the extra weight. Both will do the trick as long as the user does their part. The only way you will truly know which you prefer is to try them both.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the Ti versions - especially the new Slim SB. :cool:
20210220_195416~2.jpg

Had a polished stainless .95, regular Ti .95 and polished Ti .95. The stainless is gone as I felt it to be too heavy (this coming from using a Rockwell 6S). Still have the 2 Ti razors, but just got a new Crown polished handle which makes a world of difference compared to the old polished handle. Thinking about selling the regular Ti one of these days and keeping the polished one with the Crown handle (will probably sell the old polished Ti handle too).
I just like how the Ti feels and handles way better than the stainless.

Have and use both with .68 and .95 baseplates. Because the Ti is so much lighter than the Stainless, the Ti gives a milder/less efficient shave unless you apply a bit, and I mean a little bit of pressure to the razor against the skin. Both clamp the blades so there is no chatter or skipping. The shave is very smooth. FWIW I like and use both regularly and enjoy them a great deal.

This is another really good thread. Though, I think it just has member experiences with the SS versions. Excellent content to be honest with real good observations. Good luck on your choice....

Top Bottom