What's new

Timeless Stainless Steel Slim (OC + Smooth Cap) | Overview | First Shave Report

:punk: Thanks to (Enabler Extraordinaire) Gus @GlazedBoker and his thread Timeless Ti & Stainless Thin Razor.... Saaaweeeet!!!... the “Timeless Stainless Steel Slim” (head only) landed on my doorstep today.

It’s th
e Open Comb baseplate version with a Smooth cap.

HERE’S THE MEASUREMENTS (etc) FOR THE GEEKS:
1610159541436.png

Cap and Baseplate bottoms up:
T5-Head-Bottoms_2021-01-08.jpg

Cap and Baseplate top down:
T6-Head-Tops_2021-01-08.jpg

Assembled and loaded:
T9-Diagonal-from-Top_2021-01-08.jpg

End view showing blade:
T7-Head-End-On_2021-01-08.jpg

Camera in line with blade edge to show blade exposure:
T8-Head-Blade-Exposure_2021-01-08.jpg

The above pic blown up and lines drawn to show the blade exposure. Bearing in mind that the blade is 0.1mm thick, exposure is “at least” 0.2mm and NOT 0.05mm (as described on the Timeless Website):
Timeless-SSSlim-Blade-Exposure.JPG

FIRST SHAVE REPORT
SOTD-Timeless-SSSlim-W_2021-01-08.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: Rasozero Agrumella
Razor: Timeless SSSlim OC (on my favorite WFSR handle)
Blade: Nacet (4)
ASL: Rasozero Agrumella

Albeit the first time round with this razor, I managed a pleasant BBS shave. :biggrin:

Timeless say "There is a lot of blade feel with this razor but it is smooth and efficient if done correctly." I would say that's spot on, and I certainly need more practice (aiming for the impossible "perfection" as ever :laugh:). Hopefully today's shave wasn't just beginners luck.

For me the geometry of the razor says "the steeper the better." That's the reason I didn't purchase a Timeless handle as their shortest appears to be 85mm. My WFSR handle is 80mm long and I like it very much... but my favorite handle length is in the 70mm to 75mm range for superior maneuverability and being able to stay close to my face/neck for all the nooks and crannies. How other "steep anglers" manage with 100mm vaulting poles is beyond me (maybe they just have bigger and flatter faces and necks than me).

Whatever, it's good that we're all different. :yesnod:

Happy Shaves all y'all. :cornut:

I’m now on Timeless Slim Training and will post my subsequent shaves here for anyone who’s interested.
Everyone is welcome to join in. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Congrats on your new and handsome razor head. Excellent review....I can only read yours and imagine the shave on my face...hahahaha. I will look forward to your continuous posting.

• Haha
Reactions: Cal

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
:punk: Thanks to (Enabler Extraordinaire) Gus @GlazedBoker and his thread Timeless Ti & Stainless Thin Razor.... Saaaweeeet!!!... the “Timeless Stainless Steel Slim” (head only) landed on my doorstep today.

It’s th

View attachment 1206052

View attachment 1206053

View attachment 1206054

Assembled and loaded:
View attachment 1206057

End view showing blade:
View attachment 1206058

View attachment 1206059

The above pic blown up and lines drawn to show the blade exposure. Bearing in mind that the blade is 0.1mm thick, exposure is “at least” 0.2mm and NOT 0.05mm (as described on the Timeless Website):
View attachment 1206062

FIRST SHAVE REPORT
View attachment 1206071 :001_wub:

Albeit the first time round with this razor, I managed a pleasant BBS shave. :biggrin:

Timeless say "There is a lot of blade feel with this razor but it is smooth and efficient if done correctly." I would say that's spot on, and I certainly need more practice (aiming for the impossible "perfection" as ever :laugh:). Hopefully today's shave wasn't just beginners luck.

For me the geometry of the razor says "the steeper the better." That's the reason I didn't purchase a Timeless handle as their shortest appears to be 85mm. My WFSR handle is 80mm long and I like it very much... but my favorite handle length is in the 70mm to 75mm range for superior maneuverability and being able to stay close to my face/neck for all the nooks and crannies. How other "steep anglers" manage with 100mm vaulting poles is beyond me (maybe they just have bigger and flatter faces and necks than me).

I’m now on Timeless Slim Training and will post my subsequent shaves here for anyone who’s interested.
Hello Cal, photography on the new razor is just great and a there is some positive exposure for sure.
They make excellent bases IMO and there are fellows who like that amount of aggression, not sure if they have different levels of aggression like so many MFG's offer nowadays with different base plates?
Have some great shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just noticing this thread and reviewing the posts and photos...

I know what Timeless says the gap is, but has anybody measured it with feeler gauges?

Just looking at it in the photos (and having looked at it in real life when I experimented with a Timeless Slim not long ago) the gap might be considerably larger than Timeless publishes. Maybe not, as I didn't measure it and my eyes are not feeler gauges.

1610234873468.png

Interesting razor. One thing I really like about it is the rigidity of the razor blade. In my opinion, Timeless has blade clamping down pat. It would, however, be possible to square off the (left, in this photo) edges of the two surfaces clamping the blade to achieve even more rigidity. Whether that would make even a smidgeon of difference in the shave is debatable.

Considering how smooth and efficient the FOCS is, I have no idea what the point of all that gap is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

It’s th

View attachment 1206052

View attachment 1206053

View attachment 1206054

Assembled and loaded:
View attachment 1206057

End view showing blade:
View attachment 1206058

View attachment 1206059

View attachment 1206062

FIRST SHAVE REPORT
View attachment 1206071 :001_wub:

Congratulations, it's a beauty!

I know what Timeless says the gap is, but has anybody measured it with feeler gauges?
I think the HUGE magnification is throwing you off, Jim. But based on that photo I'd say that the gap is possibly a MAXIMUM of 0.7mm (vs 0.5mm from Timeless) and the blade exposure possibly a MAXIMUM of 0.25mm (vs 0.05 from Timeless).

As a somewhat weird comparison, Karve show their F Plate (i.e. baseplate) as having 1.23 mm gap and 0.22mm blade exposure.

Last edited:
Timeless SSSlim OC SOTD #2
SOTD-Timeless-SSSlim-R_2021-01-09.jpg

Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Timeless SSSlim OC (on iKon Tuckaway handle)
Blade: Nacet (5)
ASL: TFS Mandarino Tachibana

Another good shave. :biggrin:

To reduce the handle length I fitted the Timeless with an iKon Tuckaway (67mm) today. Unfortunately it ended up being a tad too short, whereas the Fine WFSR handle used yesterday was a tad too long.

The one thing I did find out is that the iKon Tuckaway is a good handle, but the Fine WFSR handle is VASTLY SUPERIOR (for only $1 more).

My second shave with the Timeless was as good as my first; so apparently it wasn't beginners luck yesterday. :001_smile

So far I'm certainly enjoying my Timeless SSSlim OC experience, but it's not looking like pushing any of my favorites off their podium. I intend continuing my "SSSlim OC Training" up to 30 shaves to give it a fair "crack of the whip" though.

Happy Shaves guys. :cornut:

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think the HUGE magnification is throwing you off, Jim. But based on that photo I'd say that the gap is possibly a MAXIMUM of 0.7mm (vs 0.5mm from Timeless) and the blade exposure possibly a MAXIMUM of 0.25mm (vs 0.05 from Timeless).

As a somewhat weird comparison, Karve show their F Plate (i.e. baseplate) as having 1.23 mm gap and 0.22mm blade exposure.

I wasn't thinking of the gap as illustrated with the magnification, but of the gap as viewed in real life. Certainly there are razors with a much larger gap.

Just going from my experience fumbling around with razors, and stipulating that I don't know anything about what goes into the make up of a razor I like there are a few things that I think might go into a good (by my subjective impressions) DE razor - rigidity, very low gap, very low guard span, some blade exposure, and the "complete package" (whatever that means) - but it's not like I know anything because I know I don't.

That's part of the reason I would have no idea how to order a custom razor. The other part is the FOCS. Meaning how do you beat perfection?

I might also give bonus points for slants and open combs, but then there's the Gillette Executive on adjustment #5.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Timeless SSSlim OC SOTD #3
SOTD-Timeless-SSSlim-Y_2021-01-10.jpg

Razor: Timeless SSSlim OC (on custom Olive Wood handle)
Blade: Nacet (6)

And another good shave. :biggrin:

At last, that nagging little handle problem is fixed. :001_smile

On my first two Timeless shaves I went with stainless steel handles, just to match the head. For me, they turned out to be a tad too long and a tad too short. Today I picked my Olive Wood (75mm) custom handle; just what the doctor ordered (I didn't notice it was there).

Now the handle problem is out of the way I can get down to some serious training. Onward!

Timeless SSSlim OC SOTD #3
SOTD-Timeless-SSSlim-Y_2021-01-10.jpg

Blade: Nacet (6)

And another good shave. :biggrin:

At last, that nagging little handle problem is fixed. :001_smile

On my first two Timeless shaves I went with stainless steel handles, just to match the head. For me, they turned out to be a tad too long and a tad too short. Today I picked my Olive Wood (75mm) custom handle; just what the doctor ordered (I didn't notice it was there).

Now the handle problem is out of the way I can get down to some serious training. Onward!

If there’s one thing I have learned it’s that a comfortable handle can totally transform a razor that you struggle with. Size matters.

Timeless SSSlim OC SOTD #4
SOTD-Timeless-SSSlim-G_2021-01-11.jpg

Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)

A really nice shave. :biggrin:

I think Timeless SSSlim OC training proper has started today. I threw out my "which angle is best" concentration and just went with the flow. My benchmark blade (Personna Red [first use with the Timeless]) felt lovely too.

I've loved the Semogue Mistura's performance since first use. Today it was "out of this world" good (20th use). Thank you Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers for pointing me in its direction. :thumbsup:

You call it a "finest" Mistura. Is that a reference to the kind of badger hair? I've never had a badger brush with that grade of hair.
That's simply the brush's description, meaning "finest mixture."

Check the seller's description, and scroll down for details HERE. :001_smile

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You call it a "finest" Mistura. Is that a reference to the kind of badger hair? I've never had a badger brush with that grade of hair.

1610415882233.png

See this post, and the rest of the thread, but yes, finest is the grade of badger hair. I assume Semogue finest is the same as what some manufacturers call two band silvertip, but one can never be sure about things like that if one isn't more expert than me at identifying hairs.

In any event, it's a terrific knot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have not been able to find any blade exposure numbers for the slim plate, but when I googled Timeless specs the .68mm shows neutral exposure and the .95mm shows .002"=.0508mm positive exposure. This I take to be the full size plate and not the slim. If I'm correct and Timeless has not published exposure numbers for the slim then your picture of the exposure is indeed showing a large blade exposure.

What I find interesting is that I believe this follows the Blackbird approach of smaller gap (.58mm I think) and substantial exposure. I have not seen what Blackbird's exposure number is but from personal experience and what others have written the blade feel would indicate a lot of blade exposure.

I have not been able to find any blade exposure numbers for the slim plate ...
Scroll down to the bottom of the text on THIS PAGE. The bottom line of text shows the blade exposure as 0.05mm (0.002").

TMK the only razor manufacturers that mention "blade exposure" are Karve, Timeless, and RazoRock (although RazoRock give no figures, just "positive," "neutral," and "negative").

Top Bottom