What's new

Timeless.... Stainless or Titanium? Choices, choices, choices....

Get now. Get later. If at that time x > y, or y > x, sell 2nd best ( 4 U ) to someone who'd happily consider "it" an upgrade. Win, win, Win!
(Aft least, that's my intent... but I may settle for hybriding.)

Both Ti and 304 Steel should last a lifetime or two of daily use. Comparing their physical and material properties is mostly irrelevant here (other than Ti's tendency to have threads galling/seizing). I would only consider how much weight you want in a razor since Ti is lighter than SS, and if you want a razor that absolutely cannot rust even with wet blades inside it.

Last edited:
Gus, I don't have any titanium razors. But I have a stainless Timeless .95 open comb. I can't imagine any material that would yield a better Timeless razor than stainless. The weight, the shine... The polished stainless is truly beautiful.

Tough choice! You deserve both!

That said, my personal preference would be the stainless model because of the weight! You cannot go wrong here.

Stainless all the way. TI is too light imho. I'll always be partial to SS though all my best razors are SS. The weight of SS is second to none.

Price difference? Titanium is a softer metal, so if you want something that should theoretically last the rest of your life I would go stainless so there's less a chance of damage if dropped. Ti has a better strength to weight ratio than steel, but still bends and dings easier than steel overall. Titanium can't be tempered in the same way as steel to harden it up as much, either. It will be lighter, but I haven't heard anyone complain about the weight of their Steel Timeless razors yet. The Ti will be a nice option but I don't think you'll be missing anything going with steel and taking the more durable metal, especially since the Ti will likely be much more pricey.
The only titanium item I own that I honestly think is better made in titanium than anything else is the frame for my prescription glasses. Supremely light, strong and durable, made by a Japanese company called Charmant. I also have titanium-coated scissors and a few titanium bicycle parts which are fine but not strictly necessary. I think it is very cool but over-engineering in a big way to make a razor out of titanium.

I would much prefer the titanium.

I have three UFO handles, one of which is titanium, and I find myself reaching for it at least twice as often as I do for the stainless versions.

I would (and just may any moment now myself) pick up stainless steel for the weight and incredible polished look.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
The only titanium item I own that I honestly think is better made in titanium than anything else is the frame for my prescription glasses. Supremely light, strong and durable, made by a Japanese company called Charmant. I also have titanium-coated scissors and a few titanium bicycle parts which are fine but not strictly necessary. I think it is very cool but over-engineering in a big way to make a razor out of titanium.

Ti definitely has its applications. It's no a bad idea for a razor, it's just very high cost and niche for that area. It's less durable than stainless, although it also won't rust. But it can bend easily if dropped because most Ti alloys are only around 40-50 rockwell.

With the Timeless it's by far my heaviest razor. The .68 is incredibly smooth and I do wonder if the weight of the razor has anything to do with the efficiency as I likely use a bit more pressure with it than I should. But the razor is so smooth and I get zero irritation with it no matter how I press it into my face so it doesn't seem to matter.

As far as the titanium goes I knew that they were coming out with a new metal but I didn't know what it was. I was hoping that it wasn't aluminum as I'm not a fan of that metal particular metal for razors. So while I really want this razor in bronze (or possibly copper), so that I can enjoy watching it get a nice patina to it, I'm happy that the titanium version is being offered.

As far as what you should choose goes... it's simple, do you like a heavier or a lighter razor is the question you have to ask yourself? After getting used to the weight of the Timeless I'm really enjoying it so I'd personally opt for the heavier razor myself but I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

IMO stainless all the way no question about it. You'll love either one so unless you really desire titanium more than anything else, why wait?

Good luck!

While I have a preference for lighter razors, I have to say I only noticed the hefty weight of the Rockwell 6s for the first 2 days. Non issue after that.

Ti is similar to using aluminum, but the strength of SS. It just gives the user's a piece of mind when considering the construction and quality of the razors.

I've had a RazoRock Ti Baby Smooth for a while now, and it really is a great razor. I love the weight of Ti, I like being able to leave blades in there indefinitely without worrying about rust or tea stains.

I even dropped it from about 5ft height onto hard tile floor, and not a single dent, bend or scratch.

I think that even if titanium is slightly softer than SS, due to the fact it weighs less, it has less "impact" when dropped, and is less likely to get a dent or scratch.

I still stand by my statement that both Ti and SS can last several lifetimes if not outright abused.

proxy.php

I wouldn't wait on the Titanium, Gus. I have two Timeless, an 0.95mm OC and an 0.68 Solid Bar on separate Timeless handles. I love them both. They are weighty but give a great shave. They are my top two DEs; and I have a lot of DEs. I also have a scalloped 0.95 base plate awaiting its own handle and scalloped cap.
Gus, I don't have any titanium razors. But I have a stainless Timeless .95 open comb. I can't imagine any material that would yield a better Timeless razor than stainless. The weight, the shine... The polished stainless is truly beautiful.
Aaaahh, Finally!! Voices of reason and experience!
IMG_0098.GIF

Seriously though, thanks to all the members that responded with their thoughts and recommendations, and some good laughs too....
I was already leaning towards the stainless, but I was intrigued by the Titanium version that will be available soon. I do prefer more weight in my razors, so stainless would be the logical choice, for me at least.
One more thing though Gents. I prefer a longer handle in my razors, just for adjusting my grip depending on how I want to attack my stubble for the day. Timeless offers 3 versions of the longer handles in 14mm x 100mm, and I like them all, but can only get one, for now....

1. Pineapple handle
  • proxy.php
2. Barber Pole handle
  • proxy.php
3. Plaid handle
  • proxy.php
Any recommendations?

Well that's all personal style and choice. I prefer the barber pole and don't really like the curves on the pineapple, but I see many people have that one.

I have the pineapple and I like it a lot. The knurling is sharp and grip is positive.
I am considering a second razor with a smooth cap and solid base and for that one, if it happens, will be the barber pole.
But I doubt you would be disappointed with any of the three you listed.

Top Bottom