What's new

Timeless Scratch & Dent Aluminum (pics)

Just an update on the .38 Bronze. I used the razor for the first time today. I had such high expectations, however, due to my sensitive skin this one is not going to work for me. I require a pretty mild razor and this one does have a little bit too much bite for me. Don't let my experience discourage anyone from getting one. I will say it is superior in quality, fit and finish. It's a very solid, well made razor and built to last a lifetime. I will be putting this one up on the block when I purge the den. Oh, well...
Ride the bar instead of the top cap and it makes a big difference in the shaves in the Bronze.

I bought one of their aluminum s and d razors. It was nearly flawless. The baseplate had a small mar on it but one really has to look for it.

My .38 Bronze "scratch & dent" showed up yesterday. The only thing I can find is a small discoloration spot on the side of the head. So I'm guessing thats the problem?? Bronze will change color and get a cool patina over time so who cares. I love it!

Just an update on the .38 Bronze. I used the razor for the first time today. I had such high expectations, however, due to my sensitive skin this one is not going to work for me. I require a pretty mild razor and this one does have a little bit too much bite for me. Don't let my experience discourage anyone from getting one. I will say it is superior in quality, fit and finish. It's a very solid, well made razor and built to last a lifetime. I will be putting this one up on the block when I purge the den. Oh, well...

I just got my Timeless S&D Bronze .38 with stand. I can't find any scratches or discoloration to explain it being an S&D so I feel really happy about my purchase!

I also have very sensitive skin and the first shave felt very aggressive to me for a .38mm. My daily shaver is a Rockwell 6s and I usually use plate #2 which Rockwell lists as being .35mm. The Rockwell gives me a very smooth shave with no blade feel to speak of on plate #2 so can't explain why the Timeless feels so much more aggressive and left me with a bit of irritation. The level of blade feel was like plate 4-5 on the Rockwell though those have much larger blade gaps.

In the end the shave (2 passes ATG, XTG) was as close as the 6s so I am happy with that.

Ride the bar instead of the top cap and it makes a big difference in the shaves in the Bronze.

I will try that on my next shave. I did try to vary the angle a bit as I experimented but will be more deliberate on the bar next time.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I just got my Timeless S&D Bronze .38 with stand. I can't find any scratches or discoloration to explain it being an S&D so I feel really happy about my purchase!

I also have very sensitive skin and the first shave felt very aggressive to me for a .38mm. My daily shaver is a Rockwell 6s and I usually use plate #2 which Rockwell lists as being .35mm. The Rockwell gives me a very smooth shave with no blade feel to speak of on plate #2 so can't explain why the Timeless feels so much more aggressive and left me with a bit of irritation. The level of blade feel was like plate 4-5 on the Rockwell though those have much larger blade gaps.

In the end the shave (2 passes ATG, XTG) was as close as the 6s so I am happy with that.

I will try that on my next shave. I did try to vary the angle a bit as I experimented but will be more deliberate on the bar next time.
That 38 an is one tough customer

I have the 6S too and love it. I think the .38 will be something I end up selling. It's a work of art and the quality is on another level. Just a little too aggressive for my liking which I hate cause its so nice.

I have the 6S too and love it. I think the .38 will be something I end up selling. It's a work of art and the quality is on another level. Just a little too aggressive for my liking which I hate cause its so nice.

The Rockwell for me is perfect. Butter smooth and leaves me with no nicks or irritation on plate 2 or 3. I could easily use this as my only Razor every day. It's not stylish but just works.

So I did a more close inspection of my new Scratch and Dent Timeless .38 Bronze with a magnifying glass. I only see one tiny little pinpoint imperfection on the bottom of the plate in one of the drainage channels. Hardly noticeable at all. Otherwise the razor is flawless with a great finish.

I decided to do a side by side comparison of the 6s with plate #2 (.35mm) against the Timeless .38mm Bronze plate. The blade gaps are obviously pretty close, and the caps on the two razors have very similar profiles so not much different there at all. What stands right out when you put them side to side is the Rockwell's solid comb bar extends further out from the blade and is chamfered creating a nice flat shaving angle with less blade exposure while the Timeless' bar is cut flat at a right angle pretty close to the blade tip so the blade exposure is much higher than the Rockwell. That explains the more intense blade feel I was noticing with the Timeless.

Don't let the Bronze .38 gap fool you... It isn't the mild razor everyone thinks it should be and even Matt will tell you it is very close to the SS or Ti .68 in feel and performance. There are a few older threads on the Bronze .38 that are a pretty good read here, just use the search function of the forum to find them.

If it is that close to the Timeless SS .68 then it should be the smoothest razor you have ever used, if not then the blade exposure or angle has to be different

If it is that close to the Timeless SS .68 then it should be the smoothest razor you have ever used, if not then the blade exposure or angle has to be different
Both in this case... I wouldn't say it should be the smoothest either!! The biggest misconception in shaving is most think that just because a razor has a lower or higher gap specified it should shave milder or more aggressive which is a very bad assumption!!

The Rockwell for me is perfect. Butter smooth and leaves me with no nicks or irritation on plate 2 or 3. I could easily use this as my only Razor every day. It's not stylish but just works.

So I did a more close inspection of my new Scratch and Dent Timeless .38 Bronze with a magnifying glass. I only see one tiny little pinpoint imperfection on the bottom of the plate in one of the drainage channels. Hardly noticeable at all. Otherwise the razor is flawless with a great finish.

I decided to do a side by side comparison of the 6s with plate #2 (.35mm) against the Timeless .38mm Bronze plate. The blade gaps are obviously pretty close, and the caps on the two razors have very similar profiles so not much different there at all. What stands right out when you put them side to side is the Rockwell's solid comb bar extends further out from the blade and is chamfered creating a nice flat shaving angle with less blade exposure while the Timeless' bar is cut flat at a right angle pretty close to the blade tip so the blade exposure is much higher than the Rockwell. That explains the more intense blade feel I was noticing with the Timeless.
I believe the Timeless stainless steel .68 has less blade feel than the Bronze .38. So the Timeless .68 will feel less aggressive than the .38 but still no where close to the 6S with a 2 plate. The Rockwell with a 2 plate would be way down the mild scale from either of the Timeless models.

I believe the Timeless stainless steel .68 has less blade feel than the Bronze .38.
You would be correct and the reason for this is the .68 has neutral blade exposure compared to the .38 having .002" exposure, coupled with a different design and why most feel the .38 is pretty much equal to the SS or Ti .68 models in efficiency.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You would be correct and the reason for this is the .68 has neutral blade exposure compared to the .38 having .002" exposure, coupled with a different design and why most feel the .38 is pretty much equal to the SS or Ti .68 models in efficiency.
X2 here.
I have the 68 oc and the bronze oc was a tiger by the tail for me.the sb feels way more aggressive but as the description stated there was a learning curve and i stuck with it and it suddenly felt very manageable.

Top Bottom