What's new

Timeless recommendation request

I cannot directly answer the OP's question, .... but I am extremely
happy with both my Timeless Bronze and my Timeless Aluminum.
The Bronze is perfect with a Gillette Nacet, and the Aluminum works
best with a Feather. The weight difference is significant. Bronze is
heavy, Aluminum is very light. Two totally different feelings, but two
incredibly comfortable BBS shaving results.
Ahhhhh, ..... Life is good ! We certainly enjoy a magnificent hobby.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got three : Ti68 scalloped, Ti68OC and Ti95OC.

full

The 95 is least used. I can get weepers if careless with pressure using it. Possibly the SB or scalloped would be different.

The good shaves are bulletproof with the 68s, though.

Good luck! You'll love the right one.

AA

full

The 95 is least used. I can get weepers if careless with pressure using it. Possibly the SB or scalloped would be different.

AA
Does the .68OC seem any more efficient than the scalloped? Is it as comfortable?-

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Does the .68OC seem any more efficient than the scalloped? Is it as comfortable?-

It's a good question. 🤔

Yes, it's more efficient. I think! But I tend to use pressure.

No, it's less comfortable. Ti teeth are hard, but it's a very small thing.

I used the 68 scalloped for about a year in complete happiness, got the 68OC for trim/longer hair.

If you look at blade gaps (B&B Wiki) on Gillette Slim, the 68 and 95 should correspond to 3-4 and 7. 🤔 But they don't feel that way. A Slim on 7 never gave me rash, the 95 certainly can.

I should just trade my 95OC for 95SB or scalloped...

AA

It's a good question. 🤔

Yes, it's more efficient. I think! But I tend to use pressure.

No, it's less comfortable. Ti teeth are hard, but it's a very small thing.

I used the 68 scalloped for about a year in complete happiness, got the 68OC for trim/longer hair.

If you look at blade gaps (B&B Wiki) on Gillette Slim, the 68 and 95 should correspond to 3-4 and 7. 🤔 But they don't feel that way. A Slim on 7 never gave me rash, the 95 certainly can.

I should just trade my 95OC for 95SB or scalloped...

AA
Thanks! I will most likely be happiest sticking with my SB. There is more than just blade gap differences between the .68 and the .95. The blade exposure is neutral with the .68 and it is positive with the .95. I saw the number on the .95 plates once but I don't remember where. I am not a fan of positive blade exposure.

I had both plates when I first purchased the Timeless Ti from a BST ad on another forum and just had a hard time with the .68 SB plate so I sold it and kept the .95 SB plate and used it almost exclusively for a year. It is the razor that made me sell the rest of what I had and a year ago I upgraded to a DC OC/SB plate and get what have been the best and closest shaves I've had in years!! I use the OC for pass #1 and the SB for pass #2 for what seems like at least a 20hr BBS every shave out. I only shave every other day normally but sometimes life gets in the way and I sometimes get 3-4 days growth and then I use the OC side for both passes... Again, 20hr BBS!! I've tried to shave on consecutive days but just can't as there is barely any stubble there to cut so its basically a waste of time to even try.

If I was to make a suggestion to anyone, and I have, it would be to go with a DC base plate so you have the option if you happen to go multiple days without shaving and the OC takes away the desire to use any pressure during the pass...

For the win!!
Ti95DC.jpg

full

AA
God...I am sooooooo tempted to say screw it and buy that new Ti handle. I don't need it. Not at all. But the Timeless guys do such nice work, it really is art. Guys, talk me out of it! :wink2:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
God...I am sooooooo tempted to say screw it and buy that new Ti handle. I don't need it. Not at all. But the Timeless guys do such nice work, it really is art. Guys, talk me out of it! :wink2:
You know you need to be talked into it!
So I’m assuming this post is a test. 😀

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Hey, I don't have the new Timeless handle (yet).

Pictured are the matte old-style Timeless ti handle and two ti customs from Russia (Evgeny).

AA

I had both plates when I first purchased the Timeless Ti from a BST ad on another forum and just had a hard time with the .68 SB plate so I sold it and kept the .95 SB plate and used it almost exclusively for a year. It is the razor that made me sell the rest of what I had and a year ago I upgraded to a DC OC/SB plate and get what have been the best and closest shaves I've had in years!! I use the OC for pass #1 and the SB for pass #2 for what seems like at least a 20hr BBS every shave out. I only shave every other day normally but sometimes life gets in the way and I sometimes get 3-4 days growth and then I use the OC side for both passes... Again, 20hr BBS!! I've tried to shave on consecutive days but just can't as there is barely any stubble there to cut so its basically a waste of time to even try.

If I was to make a suggestion to anyone, and I have, it would be to go with a DC base plate so you have the option if you happen to go multiple days without shaving and the OC takes away the desire to use any pressure during the pass...

For the win!!
View attachment 1226287
I have a complete Ti SB .95 and a complete Ti OC .95, just sold my SS SB SC .68

i went from a 34c.. easy but too mild... to a 37c.. more efficient but not terribly smooth... to a Ti OC .95.... more efficient and more comfortable that either of the previous two. I was shaving twice weekly and the OC was the best option. For times that I shave more often I picked up the .95 Scalloped... just as efficient with a milder feel. i went through the same hand wringing about which gap to get and after consulting with the good folks at Timeless I pulled the trigger on a .95 and have never looked back.

The Ti 0.68 SB is a great razor. Mild but still quite efficient.

The Ti Slim SB is the one that currently has my attention.
View attachment 1225943
Smaller, very nimble and maneuverable head. Definitely efficient but still smooth.

In my opinion, worth considering.

YMMV :cool:
If you don't mind me asking how do you like the wizamet blades compared to the polsilver blades?

I currently use polsilvers and bics exclusively and find the bics a tad bit to sharp on the first 2 shaves leading to a rough shave, I would like to get some wizamets to replace the bics. I have gone through multiple threads and there seem to be mixed reviews.

Regards
Rohan

i went from a 34c.. easy but too mild... to a 37c.. more efficient but not terribly smooth... to a Ti OC .95.... more efficient and more comfortable that either of the previous two. I was shaving twice weekly and the OC was the best option. For times that I shave more often I picked up the .95 Scalloped... just as efficient with a milder feel. i went through the same hand wringing about which gap to get and after consulting with the good folks at Timeless I pulled the trigger on a .95 and have never looked back.

And since all the plates are available (for a cost) I can start with one and add a second when I’m ready. I really can’t go wrong with their 30 money back guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Drewgordon27, maybe a bit off-topic, but just wanted to say while "blade feel" is highly subjective, efficiency of the razor is not.

It is primarily determined by the DE head's architecture, 2 main factors being Blade Gap and Blade Exposure. These are not mutually interchangeable terms. @AimlessWanderer explains this in great detail in his journal, do have a look.

Just as an illustration, the pic below demonstrates some of that.

By "blade feel" people refer to both exposure and gap and preferences will vary dramatically, hence YMMV.

Me, I generally prefer a razor with small-to-medium blade exposure and somewhat larger blade gap, as greater gap makes it possible to use the razor at a wider range of angles, yet the small exposure ensures I won't nick myself. Hence, I can afford to be careless.

Others, may preferer the opposite - small(er) gap and large(r) exposure, as their wrist/razor-holding technique will ensure ideal angle, at no cost of a lagre(r) blade exposure.

As for Timeless, I'd go with both plates and save on the shipping cost, as you'll definitely want to try the other plate, sooner or later (probably sooner though).

1614078795145.png

Top Bottom