What's new

Timeless recommendation request

I’m planning to buy a Timeless titanium, but not sure which base plate and gap.

The razors I typically use are a Feather AS-D2, a ‘56 red tip, and Merkur 34C. Favorite blade is Astra. I primarily head shave with a little bit of trim around the neck. I typically shave every day or second day.

I’m looking for something that is a bit more efficient. I’m willing to go a bit more aggressive as well, but not very aggressive.

I guess my basic question is whether the .68 base plate/solid bar would be just a bit more efficient than what I’m currently using. And how much more aggressive is the .95 than what I’m currently shaving with.

Thanks,

-Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just switched from a Merkur 34 to a Timeless Titanium with 95 gap. It feels less aggressive than the Merkur. I’d definitely go for the 95. You can’t trust these gap specs anymore because the geometry of the caps and plates are so different from one manufacturer to the other.
You are going to love the Timeless! You have 30 days to send it back if you don’t.

I just switched from a Merkur 34 to a Timeless Titanium with 95 gap. It feels less aggressive than the Merkur. I’d definitely go for the 95. You can’t trust these gap specs anymore because the geometry of the caps and plates are so different from one manufacturer to the other.
You are going to love the Timeless! You have 30 days to send it back if you don’t.

Exactly what I was thinking. I sometimes wonder how much the design impacts the shave in relation to blade gap. Thanks for the info!

Yep understood. I appreciate the response.

What would you compare the .68 plate to in other razors you have?

The razor that I have used the most is Rockwell 6S. My Timeless is the SS .68 SB and I would say it is comparable. With my Rockwell I used it mostly with R4, R5 and R6 plates. I couldn't tell much difference between those plates. Perhaps because I shave daily. I feel like Timeless is smoother and has less blade feel but is somehow more efficient. Perhaps because it is even heavier than the Rockwell 6S. If I was going to use the titanium version I might try the .95 plate. Weight can make a razor feel more aggressive and the lack of weight feels less aggressive, everything else being the same. Like was mentioned though Timeless will let you return a base plate within 30 days minus a small restocking fee. You might want to just buy both, specially if you mostly shave daily but sometimes like to take the weekend off for shaving.

The razor that I have used the most is Rockwell 6S. My Timeless is the SS .68 SB and I would say it is comparable. With my Rockwell I used it mostly with R4, R5 and R6 plates. I couldn't tell much difference between those plates. Perhaps because I shave daily. I feel like Timeless is smoother and has less blade feel but is somehow more efficient. Perhaps because it is even heavier than the Rockwell 6S. If I was going to use the titanium version I might try the .95 plate. .

You know, I think I’ll try the .95 plate SB. If it’s too aggressive I’ll just add the .68. I’d probably keep both.

M

member 119848

I shave every day, or when I skip a day I rarely grow my beard for more than 48 hours.

Having had experience with both the .68 and .95 plates, I don´t find that the .95 gives me any better outcome at cutting my whiskers. The .68 plate is however more comfortable.
For me, blade gap is a little bit clearance for a car. Clearance is good for driving off-road.
And with razors, blade gap makes sense when you shave with a few days interval.
Up to 3 days of growth, the .68 plate works fine. It is plenty efficient for this task.
If you grow a beard between shaves, I strongly recommend the .95 plate.
Or, if you like blade feel and don´t have sensitive skin, the .95 should work for you.

I shave every day, or when I skip a day I rarely grow my beard for more than 48 hours. The .68 plate is however more comfortable.

If you grow a beard between shaves, I strongly recommend the .95 plate.
Or, if you like blade feel and don´t have sensitive skin, the .95 should work for you.

Excellent info. Thank you. I suspect I’ll end up getting several of their razors and several plates. When I find a product or vendor that I like, I typically buy more

Timeless makes great razors. I had a polished Ti .95 SB and have a stainless .68 base I use with my bronze razor. Not much difference between the 2 blade gaps. The .68 is a bit smoother and may require just a tiny bit of buffing to achieve the same results as the .95. Neither are aggressive. I like the .68 as a daily driver a little better.

Since I purchased my Timeless .68 I have barely used any of my other razors. I get great drama free shaves from it. I have serious doubts that another razor would suit me as well.

Yep, .68 SB it is.

Will place my order Monday. I’m so close to their shop I could drive there to pick it up, though I suspect they rarely have people stop by.

.68 is smooth and easy.

.95 is medium aggressive and provides a closer shave while still being smooth for the efficiency you are getting.

The Slim is by far my favorite. It shaves the closest of the three and provides some nice blade feel without being too tricky. It's still very smooth if you have a light touch.

I have the 68 and 95 in both metals and the Slim in Ti only. I prefer Ti but you can't go wrong with either. I'd advise that if you go with stainless choose one of their shorter handles because they can get heavy.

Yep, .68 SB it is.

Will place my order Monday. I’m so close to their shop I could drive there to pick it up, though I suspect they rarely have people stop by.

Since they're a machine shop and if you could swing a tour, you could see some pretty nifty CNC machine work!

And congrats on choosing Timeless! I have their Ti 0.68 SB/SC and love it.

I have both the .68 and. 95 plates in titanium and prefer the .68 for daily shaves or every other day shaves. With the .95, I start to get a little irritation after the second or third straight day of shaving. The .95 is great after 3-4 days of no shaving though. If your skin isn't too sensitive I think the .95 could work daily but it just doesn't for me.

The Timeless is my favorite razor. Great choice.

M

member 119848

Might follow up with the bronze razor and the .95 baseplate for the ti.
The bronze .38 SB gives very pleasant shaves. It has a positive blade exposure, which gives a decent blade feel. Some call it mild, others get razor burn from it. But for me it is a safe, efficient shaver, that does not sacrifice comfort.
Highly recommended!
I had the OC bronze (which I loved), but it gave me razor burn after shaving daily with it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Ti 0.68 SB is a great razor. Mild but still quite efficient.

The Ti Slim SB is the one that currently has my attention.
shave 20210211.jpg

Smaller, very nimble and maneuverable head. Definitely efficient but still smooth.

In my opinion, worth considering.

YMMV :cool:

Top Bottom