What's new

Timeless Or Delta Echo My Pre-War Fat Handle Gillette Tech?

Having a tough time deciding this one. I absolutely love my Pre-War Fat Handle Gillette Tech (Triangular Holes) and have exclusively used it for the last 4 years which has gotten me itching to try the Timeless .68 SS or Bronze - which I’ve heard nothing but wonderful things about.

Should I spring for the Timeless or send in my beloved Tech to have it masterfully coasted in some gorgeous colors? Any experiences with either?

I have to make note that with I use Maggard’s Stainless Steel M3 Handle for the added heft with the Tech Head. Shaves fantastically.

Delta Echo uses gunkote, and I wouldn't recommend a gunkote finish on the Tech if you like the way it shaves now. Gunkote is thicker than electroplated nickel, and I'm pretty sure DE doesn't strip razors down to bare brass before they recoat anyway. So the razor will be more mild when you get it back than it is now. I had a Gillette Slim done by Delta Echo, and I had to increase the setting two numbers to get the same shave after waiting 8 weeks while DE held my $..

If you are going to have the Tech redone, I'd have it replated by someone who knows what they're doing and will strip it completely before electroplating it, like Chris Evatt at Razorplate. For about the price of a DE gunkote finish, you could get the Tech gold plated or silver plated. That's be sweet.

But the Timeless is a great razor, so....

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Buy the 68 timeless. Keep the tech as is. (I know it was either or but I'd convince myself I was saving money that way) :)

I know Scott at North Shore blasts the coating off and I just got a NEW Deluxe and a Parker Variant back and they look awesome.

With that said I'd still get a Timeless and keep the Tech as is or send it in for a fun coating when the time is right. Timeless is a step up in efficiency from a Tech. I'd recommend the Dual plate.

IS Delta Echo still in business? Their website doesn’t seem to be updated much and I sent an email this morning which got no reply.

Top Bottom