What's new

Timeless Comparison: .95, .68, "Slim", Ti & SS

proxy.php

I've used the Ti .68OC and .95SB paired with the CG Maze handle for the past several shaves and was very pleased with the results each time. Today I switched back to the SS .68OC head, and again switching back to SS after using Ti really helped to highlight the extra level of smoothness offered by the weight of the SS. It was another great shave, but I don't feel like it was as close as what I've gotten with the Ti over the past few days. No doubt just a technique thing since the designs are identical between metals, but interesting to me nonetheless. I have a new titanium TiBAM handle hopefully coming today as long as USPS doesn't botch their delivery. I'm looking forward to pairing the Ti head(s) to a Ti handle that's more in my wheelhouse with its specs.

For a few weeks I've been enjoying the Timeless I bought on BST a few weeks ago; SS .95 OC with titanium handle. I really like the smoothness and efficiency, but like others have said I'm finding it just a bit too much for daily use. I get a great shave with it but have to be extremely careful about pressure or the sensitive spots on my neck will get irritated. I really like the weight and the head-heavy feel, so I don't want to change any of that. So today I received a .68 SB polished from scratch and dent. Since I'm looking for a relaxed shave I thought I'd try SB, as most of my other razors are OC. It arrived too late to use today, but will have my first shave with it tomorrow morning.

By the way, the service was amazing. I submitted my order on Wednesday at about 2:20. The order was acknowledged at 2:24, and shipped at 2:41 :) .

So just a quick update a few weeks later... I've been using the Ti .68OC paired to the TiBam handle almost exclusively for the better part of a month. There have been a few days I've gone back to the GC .68OC, Lupo .72, and SS .68OC, just to get a basis for comparison after using the Ti .68OC. I can confidently say that the Ti .68OC is my clear choice from those others mentioned. The SS Timeless is a close second, and the GC .68OC is a somewhat close third. The Lupo just really doesn't work well for me, as much as I want to like it.

The next razor I'm going to revisit at some point next week is my brass CG level 2 OC (gen 1) to see how it compares to the Timeless. I also have a H&S N075 on order, as I've read great things about that razor as well. I will post those results in here as I form an opinion.

I think this is my new favorite Timeless combo for the moment. Ti .68 OC paired to an 80mm matte TiBam New York Handle.
proxy.php
That handle looks really good on that head but how close would you say the coloration is to the Timeless matte Ti? Do you have the original Ti handle you could take a comparison pic side x side or with the top cap facing upwards? I'm on the fence between the New York and the Sample 15 handles but he doesn't have anything Timeless to do a comparison pic with...

That handle looks really good on that head but how close would you say the coloration is to the Timeless matte Ti? Do you have the original Ti handle you could take a comparison pic side x side or with the top cap facing upwards? I'm on the fence between the New York and the Sample 15 handles but he doesn't have anything Timeless to do a comparison pic with...
So my head and Timeless handle are both polished Ti, but I can certainly take a pic for you. I got the matte TiBam handle because I personally like the contrast in a razor.

If you go back a little ways in this thread I posted some side by side pics of the polished vs matte Timeless finishes, but I no longer have the matte pieces for a direct side by side with the TiBam. The TiBam matte is not quite as dark in color, and it’s more of a smooth texture. The Timeless matte has more of a “bead blasted” look and feel to it. The TiBam is also blasted, but I think he uses a finer media which produces a smoother feel.

So my head and Timeless handle are both polished Ti, but I can certainly take a pic for you. I got the matte TiBam handle because I personally like the contrast in a razor.

If you go back a little ways in this thread I posted some side by side pics of the polished vs matte Timeless finishes, but I no longer have the matte pieces for a direct side by side with the TiBam. The TiBam matte is not quite as dark in color, and it’s more of a smooth texture. The Timeless matte has more of a “bead blasted” look and feel to it. The TiBam is also blasted, but I think he uses a finer media which produces a smoother feel.
Thanks for the quick response. I kinda had a feeling the finishes would be different is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I would just get the Crown handle from Timeless but its a longer handle and think that would change the shave for me so I haven't went that route yet either. Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks for the quick response. I kinda had a feeling the finishes would be different is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I would just get the Crown handle from Timeless but its a longer handle and think that would change the shave for me so I haven't went that route yet either. Decisions, decisions!!

If you like the look of the New York handle, he also has it in a polished version which would match the polished Timeless. The Crown is too long for me. I’d actually rather prefer the 75mm length handles, but 80mm is as short as the New York is offered.

If you like the look of the New York handle, he also has it in a polished version which would match the polished Timeless. The Crown is too long for me. I’d actually rather prefer the 75mm length handles, but 80mm is as short as the New York is offered.
I'm definitely "not" a polished head or handle kind of guy for sure as I love the look and feel of the matte finish. I had the polished version of the Timeless and sold it as it just showed too many blemishes too quickly and I'm not a polishing guy at all. I will bide my time and am sure at some point I will make the move to the TiBam handle but will probably be the Sample 15 as I think I like the look a little more than the New York style...

Not sure if you were still curious about a side by side pic, but here you go. Left to right: brass, bronze, matte titanium New Yorks, Timeless polished Ti.

proxy.php

Not sure if you were still curious about a side by side pic, but here you go. Left to right: brass, bronze, matte titanium New Yorks, Timeless polished Ti.

proxy.php
Thanks for the pic and it looks great but I am more interested in seeing the matte handle against a matte Ti Timeless handle or head...

Now that I feel I've learned the TI .68OC pretty well, I decided to start playing around with some different blades. This week I went with Polsilver. I don't find Polsilvers as sharp as Astra SPs in terms of efficiency with the first 2 passes, but something about the way they finish off the shave on the final pass is extremely rewarding. Forgot how smooth these blades are, and what an excellent pairing with the Timeless .68. Definitely recommend giving them a shot if you haven't tried them in this razor yet.

Now that I feel I've learned the TI .68OC pretty well, I decided to start playing around with some different blades. This week I went with Polsilver. I don't find Polsilvers as sharp as Astra SPs in terms of efficiency with the first 2 passes, but something about the way they finish off the shave on the final pass is extremely rewarding. Forgot how smooth these blades are, and what an excellent pairing with the Timeless .68. Definitely recommend giving them a shot if you haven't tried them in this razor yet.

If you like smooth and sharp give the gillette Minora's a go

I also have a Timeless 95 SS SB, and find it is just a bit too much for a daily.. but will play around with some more blades and might just need a new lighter handle to go with it.. I love those handles pictured above.. where did you say you got those from?

What keeps me from pulling the trigger on a stainless .68 is the concern of not getting under and around my nose cleanly. The head looks bulky. Question, are the blade tabs covered or slightly exposed? I find if the blade tabs are exposed on other heads I can get under my nose. Can anyone comment on the .68’s ability to get under and around their nostrils?

Great write-up and thank you so much for sharing your experiences @molon_labe
Very interesting summary, indeed.

I am now in a similar position as you were before you started to dip your toes into "Timeless" waters.

I'm wondering if a Slim .50 OC stainless steel Timeless was a great addition to my rotation. I tend to prefer OC as well. I don't mind some blade feel (up to R41 / ATT H2 level, that's plenty and enough for me). Due to my rather sensitive neck skin I'm looking for a razor which doesn't require to much strokes - so a higher level of efficiency would be nice.

You stated in the OP that the Slim .50 OC was to much for you. Why? Did you end up with skin irritation?

Since everyone's experience is a very ymmv thing I wonder if there is/was a razor in your line up which equals the .50 Slim OC in terms of aggressiveness level/ efficiency level - or comes close.

As a point of reference for a comparision with the Slim: what about the RR Gamechanger .84 OC / Jaws - or maybe Mühle Rocca, Karve CB OC-D (those are razors I can shave with on a daily basis without facing irritation after, say, for 7-10 consecutive shaves...).

Appreciate any feedback!

Last edited:
Great write-up and thank you so much for sharing your experiences @molon_labe
Very interesting summary, indeed.

I am now in a similar position as you were before you started to dip your toes into "Timeless" waters.

I'm wondering if a Slim .50 OC stainless steel Timeless was a great addition to my rotation. I tend to prefer OC as well. I don't mind some blade feel (up to R41 / ATT H2 level, that's plenty and enough for me). Due to my rather sensitive neck skin I'm looking for a razor which doesn't require to much strokes - so a higher level of efficiency would be nice.

You stated in the OP that the Slim .50 OC was to much for you. Why? Did you end up with skin irritation?

Since everyone's experience is a very ymmv thing I wonder if there is/was a razor in your line up which equals the .50 Slim OC in terms of aggressiveness level/ efficiency level - or comes close.

As a point of reference for a comparision with the Slim: what about the RR Gamechanger .84 OC / Jaws - or maybe Mühle Rocca, Karve CB OC-D (those are razors I can shave with on a daily basis without facing irritation after, say, for 7-10 consecutive shaves...).

Appreciate any feedback!

To answer your question, yes I got some irritation with the OC slim plate, but to be fair I never really gave it an honest shot. It would have taken way too much concentration for me, something I don’t appreciate when shaving early in the morning before work. I was more than happy with the .68 plates, so it didn’t make sense to keep forcing myself to try the Slim any longer.

The only “blade forward/aggressive” razor I’ve really been able to use without irritation is the titanium Blackbird. It has a lot of blade feel to it, but the combination of small gap and light weight made it work well for me.

FWIW, I no longer own or use any DE razors. In fact, the only razor I use now is the titanium Vector I just got. For several months before that, I only used the SS Vector. I’ve never found another razor that can compare to how close the Vector shaves, while staying very comfortable and not irritating my skin at all.

Top Bottom