What's new

Timeless Comparison: .95, .68, "Slim", Ti & SS

Thanks for the write up. By the looks of things you’re fully down the rabbit hole. I own the .68, and.95 in polished with a solid bar. I do want to get a decent handle.
If I had to shave everyday, I’d also pick the .68.
What I do like about Timeless is the scratch and dent. Suits my retired budget just fine.
Glade you’ve found the driver that works for you!
-Bill

Excellent write-up, thanks for sharing it!

I recently picked up a .68 Ti set and have been happy with it but as you noted, the heft of a SS razor seems to perform a bit better. I have been using it alongside a Rockwell 6S and a Tatara Masamune that just showed up and today I had my first shave with the Masamune. Similar to the Timeless in that there was only a little blade feel but an outstanding shave with no pressure beyond the mass of the razor itself. BBS and super comfy, with no weepers (unusual for my skin) on a brand new Feather.

I have a Timeless .95 stainless solid bar with a stainless handle coming, I look forward to seeing if the weight helps the performance for my needs. The Rockwell is the most pedestrian of the three but performs quite well in its own right. I'll need more time with the Masamune before saying I prefer it over the Timeless Ti setup but it's definitely one worth checking out.

The .95 may be too aggressive for me but some here really like that setup so I look forward to trying the larger blade gap as well.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Can anyone answer a stupid question? I know the technical weight difference between the ss and TI rigs but how does the Ti feel in hand compared to the ss?

Excellent write-up, thanks for sharing it!

I recently picked up a .68 Ti set and have been happy with it but as you noted, the heft of a SS razor seems to perform a bit better. I have been using it alongside a Rockwell 6S and a Tatara Masamune that just showed up and today I had my first shave with the Masamune. Similar to the Timeless in that there was only a little blade feel but an outstanding shave with no pressure beyond the mass of the razor itself. BBS and super comfy, with no weepers (unusual for my skin) on a brand new Feather.

I have a Timeless .95 stainless solid bar with a stainless handle coming, I look forward to seeing if the weight helps the performance for my needs. The Rockwell is the most pedestrian of the three but performs quite well in its own right. I'll need more time with the Masamune before saying I prefer it over the Timeless Ti setup but it's definitely one worth checking out.

The .95 may be too aggressive for me but some here really like that setup so I look forward to trying the larger blade gap as well.

Im not sure what weight range you are used to, but some of the Timeless SS handles are pretty hefty from what I’ve read. If you find the .95 too aggressive initially, try it out with a lighter handle as well and it will completely change the feel and performance of the razor. I’ve preferred light handles on my razors for a while now. The .95 is really not overly aggressive, just a bit too much for me to use daily. I’m curious to hear your thoughts when you get it.

Can anyone answer a stupid question? I know the technical weight difference between the ss and TI rigs but how does the Ti feel in hand compared to the ss?

Not trying to be a smart ***, but it just feels lighter haha. Aluminum is almost “plastic” light, almost like its hollow. Titanium still has a little bit of heft to it but obviously not as much as SS. If you didn’t have a SS razor to compare side by side, Ti is something you could get used to without realizing it’s a lighter material. But if you keep switching back and forth it will always feel light. Hope that helps.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Not trying to be a smart ***, but it just feels lighter haha. Aluminum is almost “plastic” light, almost like its hollow. Titanium still has a little bit of heft to it but obviously not as much as SS. If you didn’t have a SS razor to compare side by side, Ti is something you could get used to without realizing it’s a lighter material. But if you keep switching back and forth it will always feel light. Hope that helps.
Yes it does actually. I know it’s a stupid question one that timeless even ignored. Thanks my rad is in full gear as you can tell.

Im not sure what weight range you are used to, but some of the Timeless SS handles are pretty hefty from what I’ve read. If you find the .95 too aggressive initially, try it out with a lighter handle as well and it will completely change the feel and performance of the razor. I’ve preferred light handles on my razors for a while now. The .95 is really not overly aggressive, just a bit too much for me to use daily. I’m curious to hear your thoughts when you get it.
Good advice, I'll definitely mix and match a bit! I'll have a decent lego set, I reckon. .95 SS SB, .68 Ti SC and both Ti and SS handles. I figure I should be able to come up with a winning combo with that set!

I have had the .68 SS SC complete razor, the Ti .95 OC complete razor and the Ti .95 SB. For me the Ti .95 OC was to much for a daily shaver, the .68 SS SC was great very smooth but since I shave in the evening it was not efficient enough, so I sold both of them, the only one I kept is the Ti .95 SB and I use it as my daily shaver. But your comment about the .68 OC SS Base has got me thinking of trying it. If I did I would use it with my Ti Crown Handle just to give the head a little more weight. As a sidebar the new Ti Crown Handle is perfect.

As a sidebar the new Ti Crown Handle is perfect.
100% agree with Doug, the Crown handle is outstanding! Really comfy shape in the hand and plenty of grip without being "grabby" or uncomfortable.

IMG_5766.jpg

I have had the .68 SS SC complete razor, the Ti .95 OC complete razor and the Ti .95 SB. For me the Ti .95 OC was to much for a daily shaver, the .68 SS SC was great very smooth but since I shave in the evening it was not efficient enough, so I sold both of them, the only one I kept is the Ti .95 SB and I use it as my daily shaver. But your comment about the .68 OC SS Base has got me thinking of trying it. If I did I would use it with my Ti Crown Handle just to give the head a little more weight. As a sidebar the new Ti Crown Handle is perfect.

I might actually give the Ti .95 SB a try at some point as well. That was one of the options I considered after using the .95 OC, but opted for the .68 OC instead. Since I prefer the SS .68 over the Ti .68, might make more sense to keep a Ti .95 SB for a bit of variety and another option.

So, yeah... thought long and hard and decided to order a Ti .95 SB plate to try out haha. Ordered at 3:07, got shipping confirmation at 3:10. All 4 of my orders have shipped same day as placed, but this has to be some kind of a new record. These guys are pretty unbelievable in the customer service department. Will report back once I have a few shaves with it!

Not a stupid question at all but I did have at one time both, SS95SB matte and SS95DC polished. As I've posted in the past, I personally, couldn't feel very much of a weight difference at all between either of those and my Ti95DC. I was kinda surprised because some had posted that they felt a huge difference, but to me it was very minimal in hand... Granted the SS95DC had a Barber Pole handle on it and the SS95SB I used a Weber Wave handle on but compared to my Ti I never felt it was much at all... There was really no difference in the shave between SS and Ti either and I never felt any drag of any sort from the matte as opposed to polished.

The thing that I didn't care for between the SS and Ti was the finish. Both SS matte and polished I noticed picked up scratches or blemishes very easily. The polished DC was a used razor I picked up in the BST but the matte SB was new from Timeless and though I only had them both for about a month, I did notice they picked up blemishes very easily. I have had my Ti95DC for 3 yrs now and it is blemish free except for where the handle meets the base plate underneath.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Not a stupid question at all but I did have at one time both, SS95SB matte and SS95DC polished. As I've posted in the past, I personally, couldn't feel very much of a weight difference at all between either of those and my Ti95DC. I was kinda surprised because some had posted that they felt a huge difference, but to me it was very minimal in hand... Granted the SS95DC had a Barber Pole handle on it and the SS95SB I used a Weber Wave handle on but compared to my Ti I never felt it was much at all... There was really no difference in the shave between SS and Ti either and I never felt any drag of any sort from the matte as opposed to polished.

The thing that I didn't care for between the SS and Ti was the finish. Both SS matte and polished I noticed picked up scratches or blemishes very easily. The polished DC was a used razor I picked up in the BST but the matte SB was new from Timeless and though I only had them both for about a month, I did notice they picked up blemishes very easily. I have had my Ti95DC for 3 yrs now and it is blemish free except for where the handle meets the base plate underneath.
Thanks. Great feedback. I was looking for that intangible difference and your comments are spot on.
I agree on the scratch by the way. I noticed my top cap ss was getting scratched. I was putting the razor down on the top cap and putting the handle back on unknowingly causing these scratches. Of course I stopped doing that.
I’ve been considering the weight difference between the TI handle and the ss 🍍 and it’s roughly about half the weight. I just want to buy the Ti set up I don’t need it. So I’m presently fighting the desire.

Thanks. Great feedback. I was looking for that intangible difference and your comments are spot on.
I agree on the scratch by the way. I noticed my top cap ss was getting scratched. I was putting the razor down on the top cap and putting the handle back on unknowingly causing these scratches. Of course I stopped doing that.
I’ve been considering the weight difference between the TI handle and the ss 🍍 and it’s roughly about half the weight. I just want to buy the Ti set up I don’t need it. So I’m presently fighting the desire.
You won’t regret the Ti Timeless. It is so smooth, I use the Ti .68 OC as a daily driver in my rotation

Not directly related to this thread, but had to comment on those brushes. Beautiful!!!

Thanks! All Grizzly Bay handles with various “Oumo variety” 2-band knots. Only exception is the Viking ebonite on the far left and the HMW knot in the stubby handle. It’s nice being able to rotate through 1 for each day I shave but still getting some consistent performance across the whole line up.

On a separate note, .95 Ti SB plate arrived today. I knew it was coming so I switched back to the Ti .68 OC razor for this morning’s shave after a week of using the SS, but used it with my SS Charcoal Goods Maze handle instead of the Timeless Ti handle. They are similar weight but the CG handle is 75mm vs 85mm on the Timeless. I still think the SS offers a smoother feeling shave because the extra weight just absorbs all tactile sensation, but the shave this morning with the Ti was one of the best results I’ve had so far with any of the Timeless variations I’ve tried up to this point.

I’m excited to give the Ti .95 SB plate a try tomorrow.

On a separate separate note, I received a tub of Shannon’s Soap “Nil” because I really liked the Etherea but wanted an unscented version. The formula is not an exact match, but Shannon’s has now become my new favorite soap after only 3 uses. I am a bit flabbergasted that this base isn’t more widely talked about.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday's shave:
20210304_205037~2.jpg

Razor: Timeless Ti Slim SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Silver Star (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey 'Favorite' (Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Fragrance: Belcam Blue Depths EdT Spray

The Timeless Ti Slim SB is my favorite Timeless razor and impresses me more with each shave. :thumbup:

The Ti .68 is right behind it. :cool:

First shave this morning with the Ti .95 SB. Result is very close and comfortable. Revisiting a .95 after a solid week of only using the .68s definitely highlighted the differences for me. The .95 plates are noticeably more efficient than the .68, but not by as much as you might think after 3 passes. If you are a 2-pass shaver, I could certainly see the benefit of going with .95 over .68. However, for me neither would get my close enough and require 3 passes, so for now I still favor the .68 OC. I’ll play around with the .95 some more and see if that changes.

An interesting observation I had is that even with the polished finish, the SB plate produced a feeling of drag for me very similar to the way the matte finish did, though not quite as much. This may explain why some do not discern any difference between matte and polished finish. I’d be curious to look at whether those who notice a difference are using OC plates.

Again I used Shannon Soap’s Nil paired with a new Turn N Shave 26mm Quartermoon Synthetic knot set in a Grizzly Bay handle. The lather from this soap is just incredible.

Top Bottom