What's new

Timeless - Choosing between OC and SB .95

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. I like aggressive razors, so it will be a .95 gap baseplate. How to choose between open comb or solid bar? Let's say for the sake of this discussion, looks are not a factor and I don't care about the extra $ for the open comb.

For those that have tried both - is there any discernible difference in the shave? There is nothing on the website that suggests the OC is more aggressive or different in any way.

I'm putting this up against my ATT H2. I do not want both. The better razor will stay, the other will either go back or get sold, depending on which one wins out. I hope to hear from people who have experienced both the OC and SB.

Thanks!

There has been a ton of discussion on this topic.

Yes. There actually is something in the faq that describes the OC as being the most aggressive of the baseplates in terms of feeling. Personally, I feel the discernible difference between the razors is with the gaps, obviously. You've already chosen the .95. The feel for me between plates is negligible, especially the way the OC is sloped upwards.

The OC however will possibly work better with MUCH longer growth. Also, it will leave more soap behind on passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not ordering a custom dual head like @Dragonsbeard has, and you can use them depending on on the mood which side you prefer that day?

I think AveDeus has the answer. I have both SB and OC in .95 and find them about the same on my neck and cheeks, but much prefer the SB for under the nose and chin. It could be pilot error, but I've nicked my nostrils with the OC.

I think AveDeus has the answer. I have both SB and OC in .95 and find them about the same on my neck and cheeks, but much prefer the SB for under the nose and chin. It could be pilot error, but I've nicked my nostrils with the OC.
I just used my dual head Timeless for the first time today, I ordered SC/OC combo in. 68, I'm glad I ordered the combo, I think I prefer Scalloped one for under the nose, and OC for the chin.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. I like aggressive razors, so it will be a .95 gap baseplate. How to choose between open comb or solid bar? Let's say for the sake of this discussion, looks are not a factor and I don't care about the extra $ for the open comb.

For those that have tried both - is there any discernible difference in the shave? There is nothing on the website that suggests the OC is more aggressive or different in any way.

I'm putting this up against my ATT H2. I do not want both. The better razor will stay, the other will either go back or get sold, depending on which one wins out. I hope to hear from people who have experienced both the OC and SB.

Thanks!

I've used my OC/SB Dual comb .95 a lot and IMO the OC is about 20% more aggressive than the straight bar side. With that said I like the option of the dual combs and I also like to use them in different ways. Example normally you start out with the more aggressive gap and then progress to the milder one to finish up if if you were using an adjustable. I've used that method a bunch of times but I also like to try and use different techniques. Example I start with OC for the 1st pass then to SB for one or two passes and finish up with OC for touch ups. I'll be honest any combo I've used always results in a BBS shave whether it's a level 1,2 or 3. ( FYI That's how I classify BBS shaves ) I know I have a problem. LOL
BTW I had the ATT H2 Kronos and although it provided BBS shaves I found once I got my Timeless with the polished finish it provided a much smoother irritation free shave which was a problem with the ATT. Maybe it has something to do with matte finished SS vs Polished but It's just a theory of mine. FYI I didn't notice a big difference in aggression between the .91 gap of the ATT vs the .95 gap of the Timeless. What is noticeable is the efficiency and the smoothness of the Timeless over the ATT.
Hope that helps

Last edited:
A lot of very helpful replies. Thank you all very much. I never even considered ordering a dual custom baseplate, but I am now. I wish I could have all three!

Top Bottom