Shave 1

Preparation:
Hot shower
Razor: Timeless Bronze .38
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Arko puck
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry boar
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

This was a fantastic shave. The .38 was actually way more efficient than I expected...pretty much on par with my Timeless .68 OC...and the whole experience was smooth and problem-free, beginning to end. Two passes (WTG and XTG) left me with a DFS. This could easily be anyone's daily driver, and should probably be one of the top recommendations for those new to DE shaving. Finding the angle is simple, keeping it is easy, and you can buff to your heart's content. Although I could hear the blade with every stroke, I couldn't feel it, and I doubt anyone could cut themselves with the .38 plate. I'll try the .78 OC tomorrow with the same gear.

View attachment 1174468
That's great that you got along with that razor so good. Timeless makes great razors.

That's great that you got along with that razor so good. Timeless makes great razors.

The bar may be a bit lower for me than others, as I never shave ATG. I also have trouble getting close on my neck, so that’s where most of the buffing takes place. Luckily I’ve gotten pretty good at lathering slick soaps that make that technique easier. (The Arko on the SOC in the pic above is what was left after I lathered up my face for the first pass.)

I spoke with @juno - he said it would be ok for @Steve_in_CT to be added after me. And after that Steve should send it back to @juno. Steve if you PM me your address I will mail it to you after I am finish with it. Also I will PM you Juno's address - which I have - so you can send it back to him. Thanks

Shave 2

Preparation:
Hot shower
Razor 1: Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Blade 1: Astra SP
Razor 2: Wolfman WR2 1.25 OC
Blade 2: Feather
Soap: Arko puck
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry boar
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Classic

I couldn't miss my first-ever Wolfman Wednesday, so it got the right side of my face while the Timeless got the left. The .78 OC plate was really just about as smooth as the .38, but I do admit to a bit more blade feel and a little closer overall result with less effort. Again, no nicks, cuts, or blood of any kind, and I think a lot of people would be happy to use it daily.

For any who are wondering, the Wolfman/Feather combo was sublime and it easily shaved better than the Timeless. Glass smooth all the way through and extremely efficient. I don't think I've owned anything that could beat it.

Tomorrow's shave will be with the .78 plate, Feather blade, and SV 70th soap and aftershave.

IMG_1868.jpeg

WTG and XTG, Timeless on the left and Wolfman on the right.
Oh I understand. P yeah it seems like that ATG where I get a closer shave but also pick up weepers sometimes trying to dig down to the bottom of the whiskers.
I like my Wolfman wr2s also.

Edit: I will say to anybody that doesn't have a Wolfman Razor, I believe there's plenty of other razors that probably do just as good of a job.

Shave 3

Preparation:
Hot shower
Razor: Timeless Bronze .78 OC
Blade: Feather (2)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Semogue 620 boar
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary

I skipped shaving yesterday (no time), so this morning's shave was on 2 days' growth. Zero issues again, though I'll admit the .78 and Feather combination wasn't glass-smooth. It wasn't tuggy or rough, either, just not as smooth as with the Astra SP. Still no nicks, cuts, or irritation, and I do still like it.

I suspect the .38 plate is generally smoother than the .78, so I'm switching back to it tomorrow with the same Feather blade.

The neck is a difficult area for me too
Same i have 3 spots that wont go bbs unless i shave it a few different directions my hair grows all different directions lol..when i first started out here i thought it was my technique or skin stretching then i figured it was just a couple areas that needed multiple angles and it was solved

Shave 4

Preparation:
Hot shower
Razor: Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Blade: Feather (3)
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Semogue SOC Taj boar
Aftershave: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe

I'm surprised again by how smooth and efficient this .38 plate is. I went with a single WGT pass today, paying close attention to speed and angle, and ended up close enough to a DFS that I didn't bother with a second pass. I really can't find any fault with this razor. Tomorrow's shave will be with the .38 again, paired with a fresh Nacet and (probably) Noble Otter RAWR.

In other news, the SOC Taj is always a dream to use, as are SV soaps and aftershaves.

IMG_1917.jpeg

Shave 5 - Final Shave

Preparation:
Hot shower
Razor: Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Blade: Gillette Nacet
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville
Brush: Semogue SOC Taj boar (again)
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Seville

For my final shave I stuck with the .38 plate and used a fresh Gillette Nacet. This combination yielded another great shave, approaching DFS in a single WTG pass. It's been a while since I've used my Seville set. While I do still like it, I have to say it just doesn't hold a candle to my SV soaps for either performance of post-shave feel. No real complaints, though.

So...final verdict: I do want one. It's different enough in feel and materials from my SS Timeless .68 OC that it could find a spot in regular rotation. And even though I tend to prefer open combs, I'd choose the .38 plate over the .78. The .38 gets the job done easily and I think it's smooth enough to be a daily driver for most people.

MUCH thanks to @juno for this pass-around. If I hadn't tried it first I'd have definitely gone for the .78 plate without considering the .38 at all. Now I know which one I want.

The razor is cleaned and packed and ready to go to @Ali_R tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the next round of reviews!

First, thank you to @juno for allowing this passaround. I’m not sure what the situation is why he is no longer on this forum, but my 2 cents is that he is a valuable member. He has lent this razor, which he owns, to allow this passaround, and it is very generous of him to do this.

The razor has been cleaned and I will mail it and I will send the tracking number to @Steve_in_CT today. After @Steve_in_CT is finished, I have asked him to mail it back to @juno and have sent him Juno’s mailing address.

I enjoyed using this razor. It came with the .38 SB base plate and .78 OC. A few thoughts:
  • Timeless makes an extremely high quality razor. The build quality is first rate.
  • This was the first bronze razor I used. I have experience with SS and Titanium. There are other differences, but for me, the main difference is weight. I have basically come to the conclusion that I am weight agnostic. Different weights require slightly different techniques, but I can get a great shave out of all of them. I would say, my favorite material is probably SS, but I understand why people prefer lighter/heavier materials.
  • I had good a good shave with both the SB and OC but this experience cemented my previously held view that I prefer sold-bar base plates. I am a daily shaver so this may be one reason why.
  • Would I buy this? I can certainly recommend it to anyone who prefers bronze or heavier razors. I already own the Timeless 95 SB (in Ti) and do find that model to be a bit more to my liking. But it’s just a matter of taste.

I already own the Timeless 95 SB (in Ti) and do find that model to be a bit more to my liking. But it’s just a matter of taste.

Thanks for your insights! I'm really drawn to this razor because of the material (I've always loved bronzed) and the styling. But since it's different in terms of geometry, it still feels hard to assess compared to other razors. Can you describe what about the Ti 95 SB makes it more desirable to you?

@JackJ That's an excellent question. I'll caveat to say that I got great shaves out of all three (i.e. the Timeless 95, Bronze 38 and Bronze 78). For me, I felt that the Timeless 95 had a better balance of smoothness and efficiency. The Bronze 38 felt a tad too mild for my taste and the Bronze 78 - especially in the OC configuration - was a little rough for my taste.

I received the razor today and will give it a go starting tomorrow morning. I'm still not sure whether I'll start with the .38 SB or the .78 OC. It will be a game time decision.

I decided to try the .78 open comb first. I went with an Israeli Personna Red blade, as I find it to be a "safe" choice in almost all razors. I lathered up with my Yaqi Moka 2 band brush and lavender scented Cyril Salter tallow soap. The Timeless Bronze is a heavy razor, but not uncomfortably so. I think I have a slight preference for lighter weight razors, but once I'm accustomed to the weight it's fine. While it's heavy, the head is not bulky, so maneuvering around those tight spaces under the nose, etc. are no problem. There is more than average blade feel. For the first shave I found it not quite comfortable, but not really uncomfortable either. I would expect that as I became more accustomed to the razor it might become more comfortable. That said, I had no problems doing my normal two pass shave with a few minor touch-ups. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation at all, but there was a bit of sting with the follow-up alum block pass. The shave results seem as good as I've had from any razor to date. Tomorrow I'll start a few side by side comparisons with my other favorites: Muhle Rocca, EJ 3ONE6 and the single edge Enoch from Classic Shaving. I will also see how the .78 OC performs with a Feather blade.

Shave two this morning, again with the .78 OC and the Israeli Personna blade, and this time a side by side with my Classic Shaving Enoch Artist Club single edge razor. I lathered with my Zenith boar brush and Barrister & Mann's Nordost, and started on the right side with the Enoch. I've been using this razor for a while now, so it was a relaxed first pass. I've become a big fan of this razor; it's well balanced, has great grip with it's sculptured handle, and the thin head maneuvers easily into tight spaces. I swtched to the Timeless for the first pass on the left side. The first thing I noticed was the big difference in weight. As I said yesterday, I don't really have a preference between heavy and light razors, but the change was quite evident. Like the Enoch, the Timeless is well balanced and has plenty of grip on the handle, so it is easy to use. The head is a bit larger, but then it is narrower than the AC razor, so I would rate them equals with regard to handling, balance and grip. There is also a noticeable difference in blade feel. The Enoch doesn't lack blade feel, but the Timeless has more. Unlike yesterday I didn't find the Timeless in any way uncomfortable, but it does remind you that you have a sharp blade in your hand (and on your face). The second pass and touch-ups proceeded much like the first pass.

There was some sting with the post shave alum block, but it was equally distributed between the right and left side. The results were excellent on both sides. Again, no nicks, weepers, cuts or irritation anywhere. I believe the Timeless side is slightly closer, but I can't be sure. Tomorrow it will be the Timeless vs. the Rocca.

Top Bottom