What's new

Timeless Bronze Pass Around Tour

Shave two this morning, again with the .78 OC and the Israeli Personna blade, and this time a side by side with my Classic Shaving Enoch Artist Club single edge razor. I lathered with my Zenith boar brush and Barrister & Mann's Nordost, and started on the right side with the Enoch. I've been using this razor for a while now, so it was a relaxed first pass. I've become a big fan of this razor; it's well balanced, has great grip with it's sculptured handle, and the thin head maneuvers easily into tight spaces. I swtched to the Timeless for the first pass on the left side. The first thing I noticed was the big difference in weight. As I said yesterday, I don't really have a preference between heavy and light razors, but the change was quite evident. Like the Enoch, the Timeless is well balanced and has plenty of grip on the handle, so it is easy to use. The head is a bit larger, but then it is narrower than the AC razor, so I would rate them equals with regard to handling, balance and grip. There is also a noticeable difference in blade feel. The Enoch doesn't lack blade feel, but the Timeless has more. Unlike yesterday I didn't find the Timeless in any way uncomfortable, but it does remind you that you have a sharp blade in your hand (and on your face). The second pass and touch-ups proceeded much like the first pass.

There was some sting with the post shave alum block, but it was equally distributed between the right and left side. The results were excellent on both sides. Again, no nicks, weepers, cuts or irritation anywhere. I believe the Timeless side is slightly closer, but I can't be sure. Tomorrow it will be the Timeless vs. the Rocca.
I previously used the Timeless Bronze in the pass around and I own a Rocca so I’ll be curious if your thoughts mirrors my own. However, I did not do a side by side. Really great idea!

Today's shave was a side by side with the Timeless and my Muhle Rocca. Both razors had Israeli Personna red blades. I lathered up with the Yaqi rainbow brown synthetic and Barrister and Mann's Nordost soap. First up was the right side with the Rocca. This may be my favorite DE razor (I recently acquired a 3ONE6 and it's in contention for that spot), and I find the balance and the birch handle to fit me perfectly. So I zipped through the first pass on the right and moved to the left with the Timeless Bronze .78 OC. While this is a heavy razor, I really like how it looks and feels in my hand. On the other hand, it has quite a bit more blade feel than the Rocca, and a bit more than I prefer. I had the sense as I used it that it was shaving more closely than the Rocca. The second pass was uneventful and just reinforced my observations from the first.

So did the Timeless shave closer than the Rocca? Not that I can tell. In fact, my wife thought the Rocca side was slightly smoother.
So despite the big price difference, if you asked me to pick one of these razors to use everyday, it would be the Rocca.

Today's shave was a side by side with the Timeless and my Muhle Rocca. Both razors had Israeli Personna red blades. I lathered up with the Yaqi rainbow brown synthetic and Barrister and Mann's Nordost soap. First up was the right side with the Rocca. This may be my favorite DE razor (I recently acquired a 3ONE6 and it's in contention for that spot), and I find the balance and the birch handle to fit me perfectly. So I zipped through the first pass on the right and moved to the left with the Timeless Bronze .78 OC. While this is a heavy razor, I really like how it looks and feels in my hand. On the other hand, it has quite a bit more blade feel than the Rocca, and a bit more than I prefer. I had the sense as I used it that it was shaving more closely than the Rocca. The second pass was uneventful and just reinforced my observations from the first.

So did the Timeless shave closer than the Rocca? Not that I can tell. In fact, my wife thought the Rocca side was slightly smoother.
So despite the big price difference, if you asked me to pick one of these razors to use everyday, it would be the Rocca.
Agreed!

I previously used the Timeless Bronze in the pass around and I own a Rocca so I’ll be curious if your thoughts mirrors my own. However, I did not do a side by side. Really great idea!
I posted my results of the side by side, and I also went back to read your review of the Timeless .78 OC. I, also, shave every day, but I feel that I could use the .78 OC without a problem. Unlike your experience with it, I haven't lost any blood using it, nor has it caused any irritation. But as you noted it has a great deal of blade feel, and I just don't see where that translates into a better shave. By the way, I used all of the Game Changer models except the Jaws. The .84 OC was the best for me, but it didn't shave as close as my Rocca and wasn't as comfortable, so I sold it on the BST. From what I've read, the best razor for those of us who like very efficient razors for everyday shaving may well be the Wolfman, but I can't justify that kind of money for a razor. If there were ever a Wolfman pass around, I would sign up immediately. Perhaps after using one I would change my mind about how much I'm willing to spend for a razor.

I posted my results of the side by side, and I also went back to read your review of the Timeless .78 OC. I, also, shave every day, but I feel that I could use the .78 OC without a problem. Unlike your experience with it, I haven't lost any blood using it, nor has it caused any irritation. But as you noted it has a great deal of blade feel, and I just don't see where that translates into a better shave. By the way, I used all of the Game Changer models except the Jaws. The .84 OC was the best for me, but it didn't shave as close as my Rocca and wasn't as comfortable, so I sold it on the BST. From what I've read, the best razor for those of us who like very efficient razors for everyday shaving may well be the Wolfman, but I can't justify that kind of money for a razor. If there were ever a Wolfman pass around, I would sign up immediately. Perhaps after using one I would change my mind about how much I'm willing to spend for a razor.
We have similar shaving needs, habits and tastes. Incidentally I’m on the Wolfman list. I also recently purchased a Rex Ambassador which I’m liking a great deal!

Is that the R96?

As someone who uses a GC .84 in every shave, I think this post gave me RAD for a Rocca. Do they sell the head only?

As someone who uses a GC .84 in every shave, I think this post gave me RAD for a Rocca. Do they sell the head only?
I've never seen the head sold separately, but you might find someone who sells them. I will add that the birch handle on the R95 Rocca is my favorite DE handle, both for how it look and how it feels when I shave.

I've never seen the head sold separately, but you might find someone who sells them. I will add that the birch handle on the R95 Rocca is my favorite DE handle, both for how it look and how it feels when I shave.
I wish Muhle sold the handles separately. I’d but them all just for variety.

I think that today's side by side may be my last go with the Timeless Bronze. I switched from the .78 OC to the .38 SB to do a side by side, this time with my new Edwin Jagger 3ONE6. I'm enjoying the 3ONE6 quite a lot, but I'm not sure it is quite as efficient as the Rocca, so I thought it would be a good competitor for the Timeless .38 SB. I lathered again with the Barrister and Mann Nordost, this time using my Maggard 20mm 2 Band knot (not the SHD) that I set in an old Made Rite handle. (As an aside, this small 2 Band is truly a pleasure to use. After using some larger knots, it's great to use something that makes it easy to precisely apply lather without filling your ears or nostrils with soap.)

This time both razors were quite comfortable to use. The .38 SB, unlike the .78 OC, does not have an excessive amount of blade feel. It does retain the weight and solid feel, of course, and it was very enjoyable to use. The 3ONE6 is smaller, lighter and very maneuverable. I wasn't surprised at the results this time. The .38 SB is just not terribly efficient, so the 3ONE6 clearly provided the closer shave. Many folks on the forum have suggested that you can equalize these results by performing more passes with a less efficient razor. I don't doubt that they are correct; I'm just not interested in going beyond my 2 passes plus touch-up routine.
If you are willing to go for 3 or 4 passes or if you don't desire a highly efficient razor, the Timeless Bronze .38 SB could be the razor for you. It is pleasing to look at, pleasing to use and oozes quality and precision engineering. The bottom line for me is that the .38 SB is not as efficient as I want, and the .78 OC is not as comfortable as I want.

Let me join all of you in thanking juno for so generously allowing us to all try this special razor.

This is a razor that interests me, partly because of its bronze material. I'm generally steering away from OC design as I don't prefer the feel of teeth on the skin. But the OC .95 in SS is the one OC that I like. Could I assume that the OC bronze would feel the same as my OC in SS?

This is a razor that interests me, partly because of its bronze material. I'm generally steering away from OC design as I don't prefer the feel of teeth on the skin. But the OC .95 in SS is the one OC that I like. Could I assume that the OC bronze would feel the same as my OC in SS?
I can't answer that as I have never used any other Timeless razor. One suggestion I have is for you to try to contact @juno to be added to the pass around. As it stands now, I will be returning the razor to him, but I could just as easily send it to you and have you return it to him. It seems as if @juno is not available on this forum, but @Ali_R was able to contact him; that's how I got added to the end of the list.

I have not tried the Timeless SS OC but was told that it has a completely different razor head. From what I’ve read, the SS OC shaves much much smoother than the Bronze OC. However, again, I personally have only tried the Bronze OC, so I can’t say for sure. And of course YMMV.

I have not tried the Timeless SS OC but was told that it has a completely different razor head. From what I’ve read, the SS OC shaves much much smoother than the Bronze OC. However, again, I personally have only tried the Bronze OC, so I can’t say for sure. And of course YMMV.
Ah, Thanks for the note. I thought the bronze and SS were the same design. Good to know.

As the last participant of this pass around, I have returned the razor to Juno and thanked him from all of us. He has asked that I thank all of you for participating and for the care you took of the razor during its stay with you.

As the last participant of this pass around, I have returned the razor to Juno and thanked him from all of us. He has asked that I thank all of you for participating and for the care you took of the razor during its stay with you.
It was extremely gracious of him and I appreciated the opportunity.

Timeless states on their web page that all timeless razor pieces are interchangeable. So, I could buy only the plate of. The bronze OC or the .38 and use it with my SS cap and handle. Right?

Timeless states on their web page that all timeless razor pieces are interchangeable. So, I could buy only the plate of. The bronze OC or the .38 and use it with my SS cap and handle. Right?
Pretty sure the bronze is a different design and not interchangeable. I could be wrong though.

Top Bottom