What's new

Timeless Bronze or Karve CB Brass (Which should I buy)?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
View attachment 1472803
View attachment 1472804
The run I’m on now (Indianapolis to Detroit and back every day), I do shower/shave at truck stops. I used to get cleaned up at my distribution center. I have shaved in the truck, both DE and SR (before my clumsiness made me give up SR shaving).

Great pictures! How's the weather been in Indianapolis? I am guessing Detroit wouldn't be too different. But man, I've been hearing that the motor city has been making a come back, which I think is great BTW. Yep, I'd think it would be much easier shaving in front of a normal mirror on a wall at the truck stops. And I am with you on SR shaving man. I didn't even need to try it before knowing I wouldn't like it. Far too much risk involved SR shaving, one wrong move, the blood bath ensues lol.

I see you drive a Freightliner, some truckers really love their Freightliners. But as with all the trucks these days, they are cramming them with so much electronics to go wrong. Thats why Riding Shotgun was hesitant on getting his new 2022 truck, cause he learned about the added electronics. He was lucky that when he got his, it was missing a few of the additions that were supposed to be installed lol.

Yeah, I am sure the pandemic has caused a lot of changes in policy, regarding the distribution center. I remember Riding Shotgun talking about some changes that he had to work around, due to the pandemic. But ya, you could post SOTD posts on the board and call them, Todays Trucker Shave. How many DE razors you got?

I tell ya, when I first started this hobby, I thought I was only going to have one, when I got my Feather AS-D2 razor. Little did I know, I'd find myself at the rabbit hole, cannonballing right into it. Now, I have 5 razors.

First shave report with the Karve!

I used a Gillette Platinum blade for the shave, 1 day growth, 2 pass WTG/XTG, DFS!

Well, I'm going to compare this to my Above the Tie Windsor .80 which is the most comparable vs. all the other razors I have. The Windsor is also my daily driver and up to now was what I considered my ultimate close & smooth razor.
With that statement, I'm sure you can figure out where this is going😕

First off is the build quality on the Karve which is superb. I paid $57 for this razor on sale!
It's definitely up to the same standards as my $200 Windsor. Second is the heft of brass vs.
Stainless. You can feel it and I like it!
Third is the handle/balance which feels great in the hand.

Next up is the shave:
With it's large gap and positive blade exposure, it sings as you shave. I didn't expect so much audible feedback considering the density of the brass. But it's possible that even though brass is heavier, it is a more audible metal. I can only imagine how the aluminum Karve sounds like when you shave!
The head is thicker than my Windsor but not obtrusive. The shave is ridiculously smooth and incredibly efficient (more so than the Windsor). The angle was perfect and natural at about 30 degrees. This razor had no learning curve for me. It felt like I've been using it forever. My Windsor had a learning curve and required different blades to find the sweet spot! The corners of the head require some practice for trimming on the Karve but not a big deal. Despite the fact that it's got a large gap and blade exposure, it never feels as if it's going to bite. My shave ended up being smooth as glass with zero irritation or nicks.

My conclusion:
These Karves are worth more than what they sell for!
It's kind of upsetting that it's shave has exceeded my Windsor considering that the Windsor cost me 3 times as much. Honestly, if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the Windsor and would have gone straight to a Karve. To get a perfect 5 star shave with a razor on the fist shave is difficult. But the Karve did it for me. I'm officially now a huge fan of Karve!
I'm going to spend the next week using both the Karve and my Windsor to make a deeper comparison. If the Windsor ends up really not matching, it's gonna be up for sale. I then will try out the E, F & G plates on the Karve and buy the stainless and aluminum models as well.
That's how much I like it!
A+++
Highly recommended!

LRod
A little update on my Windsor vs. Karve comparison:
So I've done 2 full shaves with the Karve and about 15 shaves with my Windsor. Plus I did a half & half face shave today with both. I think I was being a little hard on my Windsor. Maybe it was the excitement of trying out another new razor. I would say they both are equals in efficiency even though the Karve's blade gap is more open (0.80 vs. 0.98). I basically get the same closeness from both. But in the smoothness category, the Windsor takes it.
Blade feel is slightly more on the Karve but the Windsor blade feel is pretty much perfect.
So I believe Above the Tie's 0.80 blade gap & blade exposure (1mm. from the top cap) is a very good sweet spot for a razor (at least for me). So I won't be selling my Windsor, Lol!!
It will remain as my pinnacle stainless steel razor!
I love the Karve as well and will keep it too and will be purchasing the aluminum version next. 3 different metals on 3 razors that I really really like!
LRod

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

A little update on my Windsor vs. Karve comparison:
So I've done 2 full shaves with the Karve and about 15 shaves with my Windsor. Plus I did a half & half face shave today with both. I think I was being a little hard on my Windsor. Maybe it was the excitement of trying out another new razor. I would say they both are equals in efficiency even though the Karve's blade gap is more open (0.80 vs. 0.98). I basically get the same closeness from both. But in the smoothness category, the Windsor takes it.
Blade feel is slightly more on the Karve but the Windsor blade feel is pretty much perfect.
So I believe Above the Tie's 0.80 blade gap & blade exposure (1mm. from the top cap) is a very good sweet spot for a razor (at least for me). So I won't be selling my Windsor, Lol!!
It will remain as my pinnacle stainless steel razor!
I love the Karve as well and will keep it too and will be purchasing the aluminum version next. 3 different metals on 3 razors that I really really like!
LRod

Congratulations on your quality shave! Sometimes we can be a little hard on our razors, especially when we perceive them to absolutely fail us. But, Its IMO, that your Karve razor is absolutely stunning, beautiful, and wonderful. And knowing you get awesome shaves with it, is music to my ears. I hope that you get many more great shaves with it.

I also hope that you continue to get great shaves with your Windsor razor. One thing that I've noticed about these razors, is that they apparently shave so differently, depending on which plate you use. The beauty of that for folks like you is, if the razor doesn't meet your expectations, just change the plate! You can't do that for every 3-piece razor. For example, the Feather AS-D2 is forever super mild, no changing that.

Infact, it was because the Feather AS-D2 absolutely failed me for the last time, that I got into adjustables in the first place! The only bad thing about the Timeless razors, is that it costs far too much to try different plates on them. Just to get the .068 plate, making sure to match the rest of my razor as far as polished, scalloped, I'd be looking at 150 dollars just for the plate! So I don't have the luxury of changing plates, as it would be too costly to do so. That is where your Windsor and Karve have the advantage.

Thanks again for your informative shave report. I have a 2nd one coming in a bit for my new Fatboy razor too!

Congratulations on your quality shave! Sometimes we can be a little hard on our razors, especially when we perceive them to absolutely fail us. But, Its IMO, that your Karve razor is absolutely stunning, beautiful, and wonderful. And knowing you get awesome shaves with it, is music to my ears. I hope that you get many more great shaves with it.

I also hope that you continue to get great shaves with your Windsor razor. One thing that I've noticed about these razors, is that they apparently shave so differently, depending on which plate you use. The beauty of that for folks like you is, if the razor doesn't meet your expectations, just change the plate! You can't do that for every 3-piece razor. For example, the Feather AS-D2 is forever super mild, no changing that.

Infact, it was because the Feather AS-D2 absolutely failed me for the last time, that I got into adjustables in the first place! The only bad thing about the Timeless razors, is that it costs far too much to try different plates on them. Just to get the .068 plate, making sure to match the rest of my razor as far as polished, scalloped, I'd be looking at 150 dollars just for the plate! So I don't have the luxury of changing plates, as it would be too costly to do so. That is where your Windsor and Karve have the advantage.

Thanks again for your informative shave report. I have a 2nd one coming in a bit for my new Fatboy razor too!
The Windsor didn't fail me at all. I just thought I liked the Karve more, Lol!!
But I was wrong! They're both great and I got lucky that I won't have to do any plate changes at all. They both have exactly the plates I need.
The Windsor took a few shaves to adapt but now it feels perfect and natural. And the Karve felt on day one as if I had been using it forever. Easiest razor I've ever used in terms of learning curve which was zero!
Thanks for the compliment!
Looking forward to seeing your Fatboy.
I've never been into anything vintage (except my weekend car which ain't even really vintage. It's a 2009, Lol!!)
I don't think I'll ever buy an old razor but still like to admire them because of the beauty and quality.
LRod

Last edited:
I’m going to go ahead and say it…I’m a bit underwhelmed by my bronze Timeless. It’s either too mild (38 SB) and I have to really work at getting a good shave or it’s crazy aggressive (78 OC) and I have to stop shaving before I overdo it and that means I don’t get the best shave.

Am I getting decent shaves? Yes, but I feel for the price, it shouldn’t be this difficult (3 passes plus LOTS of buffing/pick ups of spots the 38SB missed).

On the bright side, I can use the 78 plate to look younger (remove the old looking outer few layers of skin).

Honestly, I get better shaves from both my Lupo and my Karve CB.

…I know which two I’m keeping after this weekend.

I’m going to go ahead and say it…I’m a bit underwhelmed by my bronze Timeless. It’s either too mild (38 SB) and I have to really work at getting a good shave or it’s crazy aggressive (78 OC) and I have to stop shaving before I overdo it and that means I don’t get the best shave.

Am I getting decent shaves? Yes, but I feel for the price, it shouldn’t be this difficult (3 passes plus LOTS of buffing/pick ups of spots the 38SB missed).

On the bright side, I can use the 78 plate to look younger (remove the old looking outer few layers of skin).

Man that stinks!
Sounds like a 0.78 SB plate would have worked. (Don't know if they even make that!)
I don't know but as beautiful as they look, I've read a lot of difficulties with Timeless. I had the bronze on my radar previously and also the SS but I'm kind of glad now that I skipped them. I'd be upset & disolutioned to pay that kind of money and get a lack of performance + difficulty in using. So many other great razors out there that avoid all that drama.

Yeppers. I can’t return them, due to getting the razor + OC baseplate “scratch and dent”. I’m going to gather up some things, clean them up, and put them on the BST. I threatened it before but it’s happening this time. Need the funds for yet another “acquisition.”

Yeppers. I can’t return them, due to getting the razor + OC baseplate “scratch and dent”. I’m going to gather up some things, clean them up, and put them on the BST. I threatened it before but it’s happening this time. Need the funds for yet another “acquisition.”
That's the beauty of this though: Buy, try, sell & rebuy!
And it's easy because they're small items that are cheap to ship. Someone will be glad to buy it!
Now comes the exciting part of figuring out what's next for you, Lol!!

I'm gonna gather up some that I have as well that I ain't using. I'll see how much cash I get from those to replace them all with another nice (and different) razor.

That's the beauty of this though: Buy, try, sell & rebuy!
And it's easy because they're small items that are cheap to ship. Someone will be glad to buy it!
Now comes the exciting part of figuring out what's next for you, Lol!!

I'm gonna gather up some that I have as well that I ain't using. I'll see how much cash I get from those to replace them all with another nice (and different) razor.
Another razor, you?

…..color me shocked 😳

I have 2 Overlanders and adore my sessions. I have a CB handle coming (which I think is much better looking) but I gotta be honest, I wish there were 100 posts here telling how the Timeless bronze was the bees knees. That is just suck a darn gorgeous looking razor to me.

I have 2 Overlanders and adore my sessions. I have a CB handle coming (which I think is much better looking) but I gotta be honest, I wish there were 100 posts here telling how the Timeless bronze was the bees knees. That is just suck a darn gorgeous looking razor to me.
I think I've read at least 100 that say that it's the "bees nest", Lol!!
A shame really!
Out of the many negative ones I've read, you always do find someone that says that it's the best razor they've ever used. So it's definitely got it's fans!

A shame really!
Out of the many negative ones I've read, you always do find someone that says that it's the best razor they've ever used.
I completely agree as I love some oddities. I would get one in a heartbeat if I thought I could sell it here quickly…..assuming I might not dig it.

A shame really!
Out of the many negative ones I've read, you always do find someone that says that it's the best razor they've ever used. So it's definitely got it's fans!
From what I've read posted on the Bronze razors is more like 2 out of 10 actually get along with them whereas the SS & Ti are more in the 8 out of 10 get along with them...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am really sorry to hear that Slim, I really am! The thing is, I know how you feel, as I mentioned, my TI95 presented a high level of difficulty, its not the easiest razor to use. But can shave amazingly smooth on my cheeks and neck, but the moostash and chin areas, as well as the lower lip, present difficulties. The razor basically forces you to learn new technique, or try different blades all together!

Which BTW, is exactly why I bought the Wizamet blades. Because next time I use my TI95, I want to throw a Wizamet blade in there, because they have been reported by so many people, as being both a sharp, but most importantly, smooth cutting blade. And I strongly feel, that is what my TI95 needs most, it really needs a smooth cutting blade.

But its like you said, at the end of the day, if you hate your razor, there is not much one can do, to change ones feelings in that matter. Because if you feel that your never going to get a good shave with it, then you just move on I suppose. When I chose my TI95, my full intentions were to select it as my holy grail razor, its why I spent the extra money to get it engraved, I have no intention on selling it.

But I also understand, that my limited selection of razor blades, due to me being a newbie wet shaver, meant that I hadn't really had a chance to try out many different blades for it. However, that is beginning to change as we speak, as I will soon be testing out my TI95 with a Wizamet blade, and see how I make out with that.

Again, I am really sorry your Timeless Bronze razor didn't work out for you, I really wish you could have found a way to make that work. But maybe one day you will get to try out a titanium razor that will actually work out, weather that be from Timeless, or some other brand. I kind of look at titanium as being the king of all metal alloy's, so ya lol.

Although I will say, the bronze razors do look mighty delicious if I don't say so myself. Everytime I see pics of bronze razors, I always feel a heart beat lol. Once you officially sell your Timeless Bronze razor, you will then have the funds to buy another razor. From what I've seen from LRod, I think the razor you should possibly be looking at, is the Karve CB Bronze razor. When I saw that razor, I fell in love with its true 1930's art deco design. And then when LRod delivered his amazing report on it, it confirmed its an amazing razor, so thats what you should get next.

I wish you good luck my trucker friend!

I am really sorry to hear that Slim, I really am! The thing is, I know how you feel, as I mentioned, my TI95 presented a high level of difficulty, its not the easiest razor to use. But can shave amazingly smooth on my cheeks and neck, but the moostash and chin areas, as well as the lower lip, present difficulties. The razor basically forces you to learn new technique, or try different blades all together!

Which BTW, is exactly why I bought the Wizamet blades. Because next time I use my TI95, I want to throw a Wizamet blade in there, because they have been reported by so many people, as being both a sharp, but most importantly, smooth cutting blade. And I strongly feel, that is what my TI95 needs most, it really needs a smooth cutting blade.

But its like you said, at the end of the day, if you hate your razor, there is not much one can do, to change ones feelings in that matter. Because if you feel that your never going to get a good shave with it, then you just move on I suppose. When I chose my TI95, my full intentions were to select it as my holy grail razor, its why I spent the extra money to get it engraved, I have no intention on selling it.

But I also understand, that my limited selection of razor blades, due to me being a newbie wet shaver, meant that I hadn't really had a chance to try out many different blades for it. However, that is beginning to change as we speak, as I will soon be testing out my TI95 with a Wizamet blade, and see how I make out with that.

Again, I am really sorry your Timeless Bronze razor didn't work out for you, I really wish you could have found a way to make that work. But maybe one day you will get to try out a titanium razor that will actually work out, weather that be from Timeless, or some other brand. I kind of look at titanium as being the king of all metal alloy's, so ya lol.

Although I will say, the bronze razors do look mighty delicious if I don't say so myself. Everytime I see pics of bronze razors, I always feel a heart beat lol. Once you officially sell your Timeless Bronze razor, you will then have the funds to buy another razor. From what I've seen from LRod, I think the razor you should possibly be looking at, is the Karve CB Bronze razor. When I saw that razor, I fell in love with its true 1930's art deco design. And then when LRod delivered his amazing report on it, it confirmed its an amazing razor, so thats what you should get next.

I wish you good luck my trucker friend!
B13238A2-7466-4F19-942A-04908FFC5842.jpeg

That’s the Karve CB w/OC C plate on the right. But yes, that’s one I may keep. (Definitely keeping the Lupo in the middle.)

Hey look, this box actually has a branding sticker on it. I got to be honest, when I read Christopher Bradly, I immediately think, ooooo, this is fancy! I like the way they do the Karve logo, with the sweeping pitch forks or whatever they are, it feels somewhat elegant to me.

Well isn't that nice of them, as well as the typical cards and or manual you get with new razors, they also sent you a sticker, and they even wrote a personal note to you, isn't that nice! Now you get to go on a sticker adventure, oh where oh where, am I gonna place this sticker? HEHE 😝

Oh my gosh, the presentation of this razor in box, is just nothing short of lovely! The position of the empty slots, in correlation to the slot where the razor sits, it really is eye catching, excellent presentation if I do say so myself. The razor is gorgeous, I think I feel a heart beat. 😍

Ohhhhh, most certainly I have hearts for this razor indeed. Just look at it, it demands your attention, and you shall give it! I like that slim head on it, it actually looks like it would make it easier to get the under the nose hairs in the moostash area. Looks like they were going for divits instead of scallops for the base plate, interesting approach, its got its own unique style to it!

And just look at that handle! Ohhhhh, I have no doubt whatsoever, that this razor handle, is going to provide you a better quality grip, over your SCS razor. And look at the head of the razor on the end like that, this has a very unique style to it, that I really do like! And if you don't mind me saying, the style that it makes me think of, is the 1930's.

Lets be honest here, when you see the architecture of buildings, even old power plants that were made back in the 1930's, you will see fascinating designs. IMO, I think we've lost a true sense of architectural design and art deco, in favor of modern box shaped designs with ugly drop ceilings, all in the name of easier heating and cooling.

Your razor makes me think of the old days, and I think that is a lovely thing. Remember the 1957 Chevy? Cars also used to have styling like that as well back in the day. And they too, have changed, made to look ugly, all to improve drag co-effecients. I've seen the latest BMW car, and it looks ugly as heck, but I am sure it gets great gas millage.

Again, I think humanity has lost a bit of itself in these modern times. But your razor, it has not lost anything, its tapping into the past in a very good way. This razor, out of the two you recently purchased, is without a doubt, my favorite. I am giving you 5 out of 5 hearts for this one.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ out of ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I pray that you will truly love this razor 😍
This might be the best description of RAD I have ever seen. At the end of the day, we are using an extremely basic tool to scrape unwanted hair off our faces. There are hundreds of razors that cost less than $15 that can perform this task effectively and comfortably. But every time I see a well-designed, well-crafted razor I have very similar thoughts running through my mind, and I want it. Well done.

This might be the best description of RAD I have ever seen. At the end of the day, we are using an extremely basic tool to scrape unwanted hair off our faces. There are hundreds of razors that cost less than $15 that can perform this task effectively and comfortably. But every time I see a well-designed, well-crafted razor I have very similar thoughts running through my mind, and I want it. Well done.
......aaaand I bought one. Same WSC deal as the others. I went with the E plate. I'm sure it will be pretty darn aggressive, but I wanted something on the aggressive side.

Top Bottom