What's new

Timeless Bronze or Karve CB Brass (Which should I buy)?

Hahahaha, funny you mentioned that. I had never bought from them and looked up their location. When I saw they were in SC, I was like what??
It's not just a warehouse there, the whole business is there!
Couldn't figure out how they came up with that name, Lol!!
Maybe they started the business on the West coast and then moved, Who knows!
That's why mine arrived quick since I'm in Florida.
Anyways, hope you get it fast!
Inquiring minds want to know

From About West Coast Shaving

"West Coast Shaving started out of an upstairs office in a two bed-room condo in southern California in 2007."

From their FAQ

"In May of 2016 we moved our shipping to the East Coast for a variety of reasons that we feel was in the best interest of our Customers. We are able to fulfill orders much quicker and have worked hard to get shipping times even to the west coast to be quick."

First shave report with the Karve!

I used a Gillette Platinum blade for the shave, 1 day growth, 2 pass WTG/XTG, DFS!

Well, I'm going to compare this to my Above the Tie Windsor .80 which is the most comparable vs. all the other razors I have. The Windsor is also my daily driver and up to now was what I considered my ultimate close & smooth razor.
With that statement, I'm sure you can figure out where this is going😕

First off is the build quality on the Karve which is superb. I paid $57 for this razor on sale!
It's definitely up to the same standards as my $200 Windsor. Second is the heft of brass vs.
Stainless. You can feel it and I like it!
Third is the handle/balance which feels great in the hand.

Next up is the shave:
With it's large gap and positive blade exposure, it sings as you shave. I didn't expect so much audible feedback considering the density of the brass. But it's possible that even though brass is heavier, it is a more audible metal. I can only imagine how the aluminum Karve sounds like when you shave!
The head is thicker than my Windsor but not obtrusive. The shave is ridiculously smooth and incredibly efficient (more so than the Windsor). The angle was perfect and natural at about 30 degrees. This razor had no learning curve for me. It felt like I've been using it forever. My Windsor had a learning curve and required different blades to find the sweet spot! The corners of the head require some practice for trimming on the Karve but not a big deal. Despite the fact that it's got a large gap and blade exposure, it never feels as if it's going to bite. My shave ended up being smooth as glass with zero irritation or nicks.

My conclusion:
These Karves are worth more than what they sell for!
It's kind of upsetting that it's shave has exceeded my Windsor considering that the Windsor cost me 3 times as much. Honestly, if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the Windsor and would have gone straight to a Karve. To get a perfect 5 star shave with a razor on the fist shave is difficult. But the Karve did it for me. I'm officially now a huge fan of Karve!
I'm going to spend the next week using both the Karve and my Windsor to make a deeper comparison. If the Windsor ends up really not matching, it's gonna be up for sale. I then will try out the E, F & G plates on the Karve and buy the stainless and aluminum models as well.
That's how much I like it!
A+++
Highly recommended!

LRod
Just wanted to update:
20 hours after shaving with my Karve and my face is still smooth and I still look shaved.
Most I've ever had is 12-13 hours.
Definitely without a doubt, the most efficient razor I've ever used!

Just wanted to update:
20 hours after shaving with my Karve and my face is still smooth and I still look shaved.
Most I've ever had is 12-13 hours.
Definitely without a doubt, the most efficient razor I've ever used!
Karve makes a great product and the different base plates make it perfect for everyone. I shaved this morning with the B plate. it's such a mild feel and I had an excellent shave. Just starting to get some roughness in the feel this afternoon, nearly 12 hours post shave. Maybe tomorrow I'll kick it up to a C.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
so, if I was going to buy a Karve CB for our son... he uses a Merkur 38C.... would I get him a D plate? or a C?

so, if I was going to buy a Karve CB for our son... he uses a Merkur 38C.... would I get him a D plate? or a C?
The 38C has a blade gap of 0.64 (from what I've read). I have a 33C which is supposed to be 0.71. But some people say that those Merkur's have the same head. I guess nobody knows the exact figures. So I'd say they are between 0.64-0.71
For me my Merkur 33C is really mild and totally lacks efficiency unless I do 3 passes.
I'm a 2 pass shaver!
Karve A is 0.60 and Karve B is 0.73.
So if you go Karve C or D, it should theoretically be a lot more than the Merkur. But he just might like the efficiency of less passes with more gap. Did you go through the Karve plates chart?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The 38C has a blade gap of 0.64 (from what I've read). I have a 33C which is supposed to be 0.71. But some people say that those Merkur's have the same head. I guess nobody knows the exact figures. So I'd say they are between 0.64-0.71
For me my Merkur 33C is really mild and totally lacks efficiency unless I do 3 passes.
I'm a 2 pass shaver!
Karve A is 0.60 and Karve B is 0.73.
So if you go Karve C or D, it should theoretically be a lot more than the Merkur. But he just might like the efficiency of less passes with more gap. Did you go through the Karve plates chart?

yeah, I read through the charts.... my problem is I have no experience with DE razors. I've been using one AC SE edge razor since Feb.

At the moment, he has a short beard so he's only shaving the trim lines. That isn't much of a challenge. I'll wait until the early black Friday sales and see what's around.

Thanks for the help.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I'm glad you're enjoying this with your son. Lucky you. Lucky him.

It sounds easy to look at the gaps and buy a razor based on the gap size but it's simplistic and incorrect and will lead you astray far more than it will help you. It's only useful within a particular line of razor models.

Karve D is a bit too much? Try a Karve B maybe. It might be better for you. Probably will be.

ATT 0.95 a bit much? Jump to the ATT Bronze 0.78. What you'll find (as likely as not) is you went to a more aggressive razor with a smaller gap.

It's not just about the gap.

I have some Karve baseplates - A-OC, B-OC, D, F-OC, and G - and find all of them to be smooth. They're more smooth at the lower end of course. All of mine will shave me pretty well. My beard is average, but my whiskers are tough old man wiry beasts especially on my soul patch.

What kinda of skin and whiskers does your son have?

Another similarly priced and very good option would be a Pearl Flexi adjustable.

I know that's not very helpful but it's what I have at the moment.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm glad you're enjoying this with your son. Lucky you. Lucky him.

It sounds easy to look at the gaps and buy a razor based on the gap size but it's simplistic and incorrect and will lead you astray far more than it will help you. It's only useful within a particular line of razor models.

Karve D is a bit too much? Try a Karve B maybe. It might be better for you. Probably will be.

ATT 0.95 a bit much? Jump to the ATT Bronze 0.78. What you'll find (as likely as not) is you went to a more aggressive razor with a smaller gap.

It's not just about the gap.

I have some Karve baseplates - A-OC, B-OC, D, F-OC, and G - and find all of them to be smooth. They're more smooth at the lower end of course. All of mine will shave me pretty well. My beard is average, but my whiskers are tough old man wiry beasts especially on my soul patch.

What kinda of skin and whiskers does your son have?

Another similarly priced and very good option would be a Pearl Flexi adjustable.

I know that's not very helpful but it's what I have at the moment.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I could just get him a Claymore Evo. <eg>

But I just bought him some Wizamet DE blades.... 250 of them... so if I get him a new razor, I'll probably just stick with a DE.

His beard is thick... His whiskers aren't as thick as mine are now... you know, old man whiskers.. I would say on the thicker side of "normal", whatever that is.

Reactions: Kix
I could just get him a Claymore Evo. <eg>

But I just bought him some Wizamet DE blades.... 250 of them... so if I get him a new razor, I'll probably just stick with a DE.

His beard is thick... His whiskers aren't as thick as mine are now... you know, old man whiskers.. I would say on the thicker side of "normal", whatever that is.
Has he used your Claymore?
Maybe he likes it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Has he used your Claymore?
Maybe he likes it.
Not yet.... but I bought another head when they had the 20% off sale... I'll let him try that. I already bought him their OEM Evo handle to use on his Lupo DE Aluminum..

We're meeting up for lunch on Saturday... it should be here by then, I hope.. It's roaming around the USPS system at the moment. It left Queens yesterday sometime. I'll loan it to him then if it's here.

Good idea, LRod.

Not yet.... but I bought another head when they had the 20% off sale... I'll let him try that. I already bought him their OEM Evo handle to use on his Lupo DE Aluminum..

We're meeting up for lunch on Saturday... it should be here by then, I hope.. It's roaming around the USPS system at the moment. It left Queens yesterday sometime. I'll loan it to him then if it's here.

Good idea, LRod.
Another possibility is the Lupo .72 since he has the aluminum already. I've got both! I bought the .72 as a follow up to the aluminum. More weight and slightly more agressive but shaves exactly the same. And you also have the Lupo .58 which is essentially the closest to the aluminum but with the added weight of stainless steel.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Timeless Bronze .38, some saying it's less than smooth, yet other praising how close and smooth it shaves, it's a YMMV scenario. I have tried the Timeless Bronze 0.78 OC, and it's VERY Aggressive, with lots of blade feel, and is one of only two(2) razors I've ever returned under the trial period. The OC will, not might, will, grab any imperfection, line, or scar when shaving. I nicked the couple of scars more times in those couple of weeks than with any other razor, regardless of blade. - You're looking at the much tamer little brother, closed comb, which wouldn't have the tendency.

I have used a Karve CB (D Plate), and it VERY smooth with most blades, up there with the Rockwell, only perhaps even smoother shaving. If anything, deceptively smooth, and I didn't always mind pressure when using it. Already having a Rockwell 6s for years (I use the R6 plate exclusively), a Timeless 95 OC, winning a Rex Ambassador, not to mention my Gillette Adjustables, I traded the Karve fora RR GC Jaws...also pretty darn aggressive, but not like the Timeless 78 Bronze OC. - I also like the look of Stainless better than bronze/brass, and went so far as to polish my Rockwell.

Incidentally, the Timeless 95 OC (SS) is nowhere near as aggressive feeling as their Bronze 78 OC, truly night & day different, if that puts it into perspective. I'd imagine the lesser Bronze would be slightly more aggressive than one of their 68 Closed Comb razors, or about Rockwell 6s territory with plate R6.

Other thoughts, there are quite a few originally Gold-Washed Gillette New razors, which have lost their Gold-Wash plating, which are now brass, and they're great shavers. Have you considered buying a formerly gold Gillette New? You could also just polish off any remaining Gold-Wash, leaving it shiny brass. I did that to my SC, which had most of it's original gold plating, and now it tarnishes just like a Karve or Timeless Bronze would.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For your son, I would go with B, maybe C.

1655310789782.png

The B-OC is very nice!

He's gotta start somewhere & can alway buy himself a second baseplate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I don’t think I’ll be letting either my brass Karve or my bronze Timeless develop patina. I’m a fan of shiny.
Captain’s Choice copper bowl
Before:

View attachment 1472776

After:

View attachment 1472778

Yo Slim, I did not know that the copper bowls shinned up over time, I thought the patena would make them more duller looking, I guess it goes the other direction hehe. Very nice!

PS: Oh my gosh Slim, are you a trucker? A couple things give it away, I see your tractor and trailer parking breaks, and your shower clogs hehe. I love truckers dude, I watch Riding Shotgun all the time on Youtube. Do you DE shave in your truck, or use the trucker facilities at the truck stops?

Yo Slim, I did not know that the copper bowls shinned up over time, I thought the patena would make them more duller looking, I guess it goes the other direction hehe. Very nice!

PS: Oh my gosh Slim, are you a trucker? A couple things give it away, I see your tractor and trailer parking breaks, and your shower clogs hehe. I love truckers dude, I watch Riding Shotgun all the time on Youtube. Do you DE shave in your truck, or use the trucker facilities at the truck stops?
296B0D2D-87F9-4BBB-8233-2DCE04F819ED.jpeg

A1638D91-4850-441D-A259-8C2D5440CBD3.jpeg

The run I’m on now (Indianapolis to Detroit and back every day), I do shower/shave at truck stops. I used to get cleaned up at my distribution center. I have shaved in the truck, both DE and SR (before my clumsiness made me give up SR shaving).

Top Bottom