What's new

Timeless Bronze or Karve CB Brass (Which should I buy)?

I'm a fellow drummer too....nice to know of another here. Been playing for 43 years or so.
Cool! I've been playing for 39 years. I built up my current kit to what is my dream kit and have basically stopped (buying) because afterwards I started collecting as well. I sold off the stuff that I least wanted to keep. So I currently have my kit (Ludwig Classic Maples) with an assortment of Paiste 2002 cymbals, Trick hardware and several Ludwig snares. Nice to find another drummer!

Just received my new razors today and unboxed them!
I'll be using them between tomorrow & Monday.
Here is the Karve
Beautiful construction is all I can say for now.
It's more stunning in person than in pictures.
We'll see how it shaves!
Christopher Bradley brass, 3.5" handle, D plate .98!
For those interested, I also received today my Made in the USA $45 SCS razor. I've posted some pictures of that one
Here:

Post in thread 'I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor!' I just ordered a "Made in the USA" SCS-Model A Razor! - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/i-just-ordered-a-made-in-the-usa-scs-model-a-razor.625446/post-11803870

Here are some pictures of the Karve:

View attachment 1470935View attachment 1470934View attachment 1470933View attachment 1470930View attachment 1470932View attachment 1470931

Very nice.

I do like the handle, and may have to get one for my Overlander, though if WCS is still having a sale, it may make sense to just get the entire CB razor.

See how easy I justified a new razor? 😄

Cool! I've been playing for 39 years. I built up my current kit to what is my dream kit and have basically stopped (buying) because afterwards I started collecting as well. I sold off the stuff that I least wanted to keep. So I currently have my kit (Ludwig Classic Maples) with an assortment of Paiste 2002 cymbals, Trick hardware and several Ludwig snares. Nice to find another drummer!
You sound like a Bonham fan...me as well. I did have Classic Maples a few years back, but purchased some custom drums from a maker in Greenville, SC when I lived there....Palmetto Drums and sold the Luddy's. I also have a nice Yamaha Recording Custom kit, plus multiple snares, hardware, etc. Used to play in bands, but since kids arrived (got a late start), I haven't done too much of that over the past several years. Love playing though and miss playing music with others.

You sound like a Bonham fan...me as well. I did have Classic Maples a few years back, but purchased some custom drums from a maker in Greenville, SC when I lived there....Palmetto Drums and sold the Luddy's. I also have a nice Yamaha Recording Custom kit, plus multiple snares, hardware, etc. Used to play in bands, but since kids arrived (got a late start), I haven't done too much of that over the past several years. Love playing though and miss playing music with others.
Sounds like my life, Lol!!
I'm actually not a huge Bonham fan. I'm a Peart fan!
I've just always liked Ludwig's and cymbals have been a (many years) journey trying out different brands & models. I settled on Paiste 2002 being what sounds the most pleasing to me. I too miss playing with others. My career and family life and responsibilities unfortunately don't have room for that now. Maybe at a later stage in life that'll change.

First shave report with the Karve!

I used a Gillette Platinum blade for the shave, 1 day growth, 2 pass WTG/XTG, DFS!

Well, I'm going to compare this to my Above the Tie Windsor .80 which is the most comparable vs. all the other razors I have. The Windsor is also my daily driver and up to now was what I considered my ultimate close & smooth razor.
With that statement, I'm sure you can figure out where this is going😕

First off is the build quality on the Karve which is superb. I paid $57 for this razor on sale!
It's definitely up to the same standards as my $200 Windsor. Second is the heft of brass vs.
Stainless. You can feel it and I like it!
Third is the handle/balance which feels great in the hand.

Next up is the shave:
With it's large gap and positive blade exposure, it sings as you shave. I didn't expect so much audible feedback considering the density of the brass. But it's possible that even though brass is heavier, it is a more audible metal. I can only imagine how the aluminum Karve sounds like when you shave!
The head is thicker than my Windsor but not obtrusive. The shave is ridiculously smooth and incredibly efficient (more so than the Windsor). The angle was perfect and natural at about 30 degrees. This razor had no learning curve for me. It felt like I've been using it forever. My Windsor had a learning curve and required different blades to find the sweet spot! The corners of the head require some practice for trimming on the Karve but not a big deal. Despite the fact that it's got a large gap and blade exposure, it never feels as if it's going to bite. My shave ended up being smooth as glass with zero irritation or nicks.

My conclusion:
These Karves are worth more than what they sell for!
It's kind of upsetting that it's shave has exceeded my Windsor considering that the Windsor cost me 3 times as much. Honestly, if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the Windsor and would have gone straight to a Karve. To get a perfect 5 star shave with a razor on the fist shave is difficult. But the Karve did it for me. I'm officially now a huge fan of Karve!
I'm going to spend the next week using both the Karve and my Windsor to make a deeper comparison. If the Windsor ends up really not matching, it's gonna be up for sale. I then will try out the E, F & G plates on the Karve and buy the stainless and aluminum models as well.
That's how much I like it!
A+++
Highly recommended!

LRod

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I used a Gillette Platinum blade for the shave, 1 day growth, 2 pass WTG/XTG, DFS!

Well, I'm going to compare this to my Above the Tie Windsor .80 which is the most comparable vs. all the other razors I have. The Windsor is also my daily driver and up to now was what I considered my ultimate close & smooth razor.

First off is the build quality on the Karve which is superb. I paid $57 for this razor on sale!
It's definitely up to the same standards as my $200 Windsor. Second is the heft of brass vs.

Next up is the shave:
With it's large gap and positive blade exposure, it sings as you shave. I didn't expect so much audible feedback considering the density of the brass. But it's possible that even though brass is heavier, it is a more audible metal. I can only imagine how the aluminum Karve sounds like when you shave!
The head is thicker than my Windsor but not obtrusive. The shave is ridiculously smooth and incredibly efficient (more so than the Windsor). The angle was perfect and natural at about 30 degrees. This razor had no learning curve for me. It felt like I've been using it forever. My Windsor had a learning curve and required different blades to find the sweet spot! The corners of the head require some practice for trimming on the Karve but not a big deal. Despite the fact that it's got a large gap and blade exposure, it never feels as if it's going to bite. My shave ended up being smooth as glass with zero irritation or nicks.

My conclusion:
It's kind of upsetting that it's shave has exceeded my Windsor considering that the Windsor cost me 3 times as much. Honestly, if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the Windsor and would have gone straight to a Karve. To get a perfect 5 star shave with a razor on the fist shave is difficult. But the Karve did it for me. I'm now officially a huge fan of Karve!
I'm going to spend the next week using both the Karve and my Windsor to make a deeper comparison. If the Windsor ends up really not matching, it's gonna be up for sale. I then will try out higher plates on the Karve and buy the stainless and aluminum models as well.
A+++
Highly recommended!

LRod
Unexpected.... I love the unexpected positives in life.

Two pass shave yesterday with the Timeless 78 open comb left me feeling like a peeled grape and wondering why I bought it. Hopefully I’ll get the hang of it. Definitely missed my Karve CB open comb.
I didn't see you post any follow up about the bronze you bought. Maybe I missed it!
I can't recall, did you also get the .38 plate?

Nevermind, I just saw your post on the
"What razor/blade did you use today"
thread.
How does it shave with the .38 SB?

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Two pass shave yesterday with the Timeless 78 open comb left me feeling like a peeled grape and wondering why I bought it. Hopefully I’ll get the hang of it. Definitely missed my Karve CB open comb.

Not so easy dealing with a new razor is it? You can have DE shaving experience, you can have DE shaving technique. But at the end of the day, if the razor is weird, or just a high level difficulty razor, it forces you to up your game, or give up and sell. This has been my experience with my TTI95 razor, as I discovered the hard way, its a higher level difficulty razor.

Think of it like a video game, now your playing on HARD mode, this means you can't go using it care free, the razor will force you to up your game, develop newer skills, and or develop tricks that gets the job done. Not every razor will be pick up and go. But IMO, a razor that has a high level of difficulty, is a good thing, because it gains you more experience, and I think that is a good thing.

Its like what Kahn says in Wrath Of Kahn, it tasks me, and I shall have it! 😁 I wish you good luck with your razor Slim. Try not to give up, keep at it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not so easy dealing with a new razor is it? You can have DE shaving experience, you can have DE shaving technique. But at the end of the day, if the razor is weird, or just a high level difficulty razor, it forces you to up your game, or give up and sell. This has been my experience with my TTI95 razor, as I discovered the hard way, its a higher level difficulty razor.

Think of it like a video game, now your playing on HARD mode, this means you can't go using it care free, the razor will force you to up your game, develop newer skills, and or develop tricks that gets the job done. Not every razor will be pick up and go. But IMO, a razor that has a high level of difficulty, is a good thing, because it gains you more experience, and I think that is a good thing.

Its like what Kahn says in Wrath Of Kahn, it tasks me, and I shall have it! 😁 I wish you good luck with your razor Slim. Try not to give up, keep at it.

I think this is a photo of the Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan. I stole it from David @never-stop-learning.

Check it out.

1645949~2.jpg

David says the Roedter is aggressive. It might be right up your alley.

I've not tried one, but I understand they're challenging.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Next up is the shave:

My conclusion:
It's kind of upsetting that it's shave has exceeded my Windsor considering that the Windsor cost me 3 times as much. Honestly, if I had known this, I wouldn't have bought the Windsor and would have gone straight to a Karve. To get a perfect 5 star shave with a razor on the fist shave is difficult. But the Karve did it for me. I'm officially now a huge fan of Karve!
I'm going to spend the next week using both the Karve and my Windsor to make a deeper comparison. If the Windsor ends up really not matching, it's gonna be up for sale. I then will try out the E, F & G plates on the Karve and buy the stainless and aluminum models as well.
A+++
Highly recommended!

LRod
Thanks for the excellent review, LRod. Two thumbs up!

BTW, I figured my CB would show up on Friday the 17, since I'm on the west coast and purchased from West Coast Shaving, But, NO! They are shipping from Myrtle Beach, SC. But, but, that's the EAST coast!! Anyway, it will be here on June 21. That's a long wait after reading your review!

Last edited:
I didn't see you post any follow up about the bronze you bought. Maybe I missed it!
I can't recall, did you also get the .38 plate?

Nevermind, I just saw your post on the
"What razor/blade did you use today"
thread.
How does it shave with the .38 SB?
Smooth. If I were to use the 38 SB for all 3 passes, I’m guessing it would result in a DFS with no effort or irritation.

After I give my face time to grow the outer layer of epidermis back, I’ll do that and post about it.

Thanks for the excellent review, LRod. Two thumbs up!

BTW, I figured my CB would show up on Friday the 17, since I'm on the west coast and purchased from West Coast Shaving, But, NO! They are shipping from Myrtle Beach, SC. But, but, that's the EAST coast!! Anyway, it will be here on June 21. That's a long wait after reading your review!
Hahahaha, funny you mentioned that. I had never bought from them and looked up their location. When I saw they were in SC, I was like what??
It's not just a warehouse there, the whole business is there!
Couldn't figure out how they came up with that name, Lol!!
Maybe they started the business on the West coast and then moved, Who knows!
That's why mine arrived quick since I'm in Florida.
Anyways, hope you get it fast!

With the caveat that I have not used a Timeless:

If you like an "aggressive" feel, you may want to step up to plates E-G for the Karve. I have the brass SB set, A-G, and they are all excellent performers (for me), but I typically run the G. You do have to be cautious, but it is not "nerve wracking" by any means. For a mindless, comfortable and efficient shave, C-E, toothy & efficient F&G. For a Tech-mild shave, with better than Tech efficiency: A&B.
Since when did Karve release the open comb G plate? I just ordered one on Sunday but no official PR about it? I just started looking through plates and ordered a G-OC in brass to go along with the copper parts I ordered.

Top Bottom