What's new

Timeless Bronze or Karve CB Brass (Which should I buy)?

Hi there, the Timeless Bronze Open Comb razor is quite a beast. I rate it around the same in terms of aggression as the Muhle R41, so you should be one who likes the blade feel in order to enjoy it fully. It is a supremely efficient razor, but it can feel a little bitey and is very easy to overshave with. But if you can live with it or you enjoy a high blade feel shave, this is a marvelous razor.
Ok, does anyone know if you can get BBS with the SB version? I don’t mind blade feel (I used to use SRs) but I need a razor that doesn’t need me to be laser focused at all times.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Ok, does anyone know if you can get BBS with the SB version? I don’t mind blade feel (I used to use SRs) but I need a razor that doesn’t need me to be laser focused at all times.

I think the sb fits that. There was a learning curve but I like it. Timeless has the scratch and dent where these come up and buy/try on new. I have a slight bias for timeless.
Karve has the slim handle but length options. I prefer oc so I like the karve c plate. So I’m back to get both. Or stainless or aluminum 🤪
Yes I struggle with rad.

From my short experience you can get a BBS with almost any razor, but regarding the Timeless Bronze SB I will say it is the best Timeless razor for me and it gives a great shave with BBS achieved at the end.

For me the Timeless Bronze SB is the better option between the Karve CB and the Timeless.

The timeless bronze (my other possible option) does not have interchangeable plates but it's bronze + the blade gap is .38 and it's got positive blade exposure.
Keep in mind that Timeless has a 30 day money back guarantee so buy it, try it, if you don't get along with it return it!! Karve doesn't offer that!!

With that in mind from what I've read about the Bronze SB .38 is it shaves more in the neighborhood of say the .68 SS or Ti according to quite a few reviews. Definitely above the its .38 blade gap. Its basically due to the design difference to its SS or Ti counterparts. You can also buy just the .78 bronze OC plate that will work with the top cap of the .38 razor and is also interchangeable with SS and Ti base plates that Timeless sells... Timeless has made all their razors interchangeable...

Karve CB for sure, I use the copper version with a D plate and it gives phenomenal shaves. Sadly I've never had much luck with Timeless as much as I'd try or if I did it wasn't up to snuff compared to my other hardware, plus some of their plates (the bronze doesn't have this problem, mind) have these later channels that are hard to clean out properly if you want to get rid of soap scum, plus the Karve should be much cheaper given Timeless' prices

I have both the Timeless bronze and the brass Karve. Karve has the variety of plates to adjust the shave, which I enjoy. The Timeless bronze is incredibly heavy (which I also enjoy). Out of the two I probably get more use out of the Karve because of the adjustability.

Both beautiful.
But frankly I would not go for neither of them.
Fancy razors, costly ones most of the time bring you what? 1%, 2% better shave? If they can. And sometimes they don't.
I like more vintage ones to spend money.
Because somewhere, somehow in the process Gillette has obtained already some of the best razors ever.
Yet for the pure looks of it get the one which appeals more aesthetically to you.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Karve Brass SB-G.
20220521_212011~2.jpg

Both beautiful.
But frankly I would not go for neither of them.
Fancy razors, costly ones most of the time bring you what? 1%, 2% better shave? If they can. And sometimes they don't.
I like more vintage ones to spend money.
Because somewhere, somehow in the process Gillette has obtained already some of the best razors ever.
Yet for the pure looks of it get the one which appeals more aesthetically to you.
There's more to it than the expectation of a 2% better shave. (At least for me).
It's nice to own something that's more exclusive!
I don't like or own anything vintage (even though I have in the past) so this is the path of ownership for me.

If anyone has followed my DE journey since I started, you'll notice that most of my purchases have been hardware.
I'm not a software guy, I've found that I'm happy with the soaps that I have and have dialed it down to TOBS & Proraso. I'm picky with scents (I like straight up scents like Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Lavender etc..). So those 2 brands have been perfect in performance, scent & cost for me! I've even dialed down my blades to Bic, Feather and sometimes Astor Green + my brushes to Razorock Plissoft & Simpsons Trafalgar's. (I've also got a Yaqi and a Vie-Long!)

LRod
I have owned the Karve CB with B, C, and D plates. I now own the Outlander in both Aluminum and Brass. I do not have and never tried the Timeless Bronze, but I do have the Timeless Aluminum and both the .68 and .95 Titanium Timeless razors.

For me, the brass Outlander is the best of the lot. All three Timeless razors will be on BST, as will an ATT SE1 because of the Outlander. The Outlander is that good. The Ti Timeless .95 is close and smooth. It is too much for me, and I have to be mindful of what I am doing, or it will bite. The .68 is an excellent razor, on par with the Outlander, although I think the Outlander is just a tiny bit smoother. The Timeless Aluminum is an aggressive razor and gives an excellent shave. This razor, like the .95, can bite. I do occasionally have some mild irritation after using the Aluminum Timeless.

Since you don’t like the looks of the Outlander, I would go with the CB. It will be everything you want in a razor with the correct plate.

On the other hand, the Timeless razor is classic. You could pass this razor to your son or grandson, and it will continue to give great shaves for generations. If you are buying new, Timeless has a very good return policy.

I have owned the Karve CB with B, C, and D plates. I now own the Outlander in both Aluminum and Brass. I do not have and never tried the Timeless Bronze, but I do have the Timeless Aluminum and both the .68 and .95 Titanium Timeless razors.

For me, the brass Outlander is the best of the lot. All three Timeless razors will be on BST, as will an ATT SE1 because of the Outlander. The Outlander is that good. The Ti Timeless .95 is close and smooth. It is too much for me, and I have to be mindful of what I am doing, or it will bite. The .68 is an excellent razor, on par with the Outlander, although I think the Outlander is just a tiny bit smoother. The Timeless Aluminum is an aggressive razor and gives an excellent shave. This razor, like the .95, can bite. I do occasionally have some mild irritation after using the Aluminum Timeless.

Since you don’t like the looks of the Outlander, I would go with the CB. It will be everything you want in a razor with the correct plate.

On the other hand, the Timeless razor is classic. You could pass this razor to your son or grandson, and it will continue to give great shaves for generations. If you are buying new, Timeless has a very good return policy.
Wow!
That throws a curveball to everything.
Outlander better than all those expensive razors mentioned and owned by you!
Couple Questions:
1. Do you prefer a milder razor or aggressive?
2. Does the Outlander have any positive blade feel?

The Karve Christopher Bradley with the G safety bar plate is my favorite razor. I can't compare it to the Karve Overlander, but a big advantage of the CB is the fact that you can buy multiple plates. The Bronze .38 safety bar is the only Timeless razor I have tried, and I did not like it. I found it too harsh, much like my R41, but I get closer shaves from the R41. The CB with the G plate, however, provides a great combination of close and smooth.

Wow!
That throws a curveball to everything.
Outlander better than all those expensive razors mentioned and owned by you!
Couple Questions:
1. Do you prefer a milder razor or aggressive?
2. Does the Outlander have any positive blade feel?
Comfort, lack of irritation, and closeness are how I judge my shave (in that order). With that said, I probably lean toward the mild side of razors. Unless I am going for a job interview or getting married, I don’t need BBS every time I shave. I do need to be irritation-free.

As for blade feel, the Outlander does not have much, if any. I caught myself checking the razor to ensure there was a blade in it after making my first stroke.

Comfort, lack of irritation, and closeness are how I judge my shave (in that order). With that said, I probably lean toward the mild side of razors. Unless I am going for a job interview or getting married, I don’t need BBS every time I shave. I do need to be irritation-free.

As for blade feel, the Outlander does not have much, if any. I caught myself checking the razor to ensure there was a blade in it after making my first stroke.
Luckily marriage shaves are not required often, LOL!! (For most)
Well, based on what you seem to like and the characteristics of the Outlander, it probably wouldn't be for me.
I like to feel the shave!
Sounds like a very autopilot shaver that does a great job for those that seek that kind of shave.
Regardless, thank you for the recommendation!

Top Bottom