What's new

Timeless Bronze OC - will I like?

So, my birthday is approaching and was considering asking for a Timeless Bronze OC 0.78. I realise no one can give me a definitive yes/no to my question but am looking for opinions from those that have one.

I have a Fatip Piccolo MK1, which I use most days, so I'm no stranger to efficient razors with generous blade exposure or open combs.

Recently, though, I have seen people discussing factors such as 1) weight and 2) blade gap.

1) The Piccolo is not exactly a lightweight at 70g but at 126g (so I gather) the Timeless is a sizeable increase. I've read posts about pairing the bronze head with a titanium handle and while this might be an idea for the future I am keen to keep the cost down when it's someone else's money.

2) Fatip OC's have a lot of blade exposure but very little gap so the Timeless sounds like a bit of a different animal.

Based on this is there a consensus that feels I would get on well with this razor, not get on well with it, or no way of knowing without trying it?

Last edited:
Worth a try. I find it more aggressive than the Fatip Mk1 but very tameable. The weight does take some getting used to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just a quick FYI to add to my previous

My first razor was a DE89 clone but quite a weighty one that tipped the scales at around 100g (can't remember exact figure right now). Of course, this was a somewhat mild razor...

Worth a try. I find it more aggressive than the Fatip Mk1 but very tameable. The weight does take some getting used to.

While titanium is great You don't have to use titanium handle, Maggard MRG will be able to do a good job for much less money. Reducing weight will also reduce the aggressiveness

M

member 119848

I have both bronze plates. The bronze gets its efficiency from the blade exposure, so even the SB plate is efficient. The advantage of the OC over the SB is a little more blade gap to tackle a few days of growth. I shave almost everyday so the SB plate is my go-to. I first bought the OC but had a little bit of irritation over weeks of shaving.
The Fatip has blade exposure and almost no blade gap, so in that sense it´s similar to the .38 SB.
But plates are smooth shavers IMO. I think the .78 OC is more efficient than a Fatip.

Yes it´s a heavy razor. I was used to bakelite razors before. But I got used to the heavy feel of the bronze and it´s not a problem. It´s rather pleasant to use.

The Bronze OC .78 is a very nice head and shaves efficiently and with a nice feel. Some can use the handle and some can't. At a total weight of 129g (I weighed mine) I can't - the 85g handle went straight back in the box and I use a Russian 53g titanium handle with it. Changing the handle is a possible outcome for you - you may/may not like it.

It may not sound like a typical "present" but what I'd do is buy a really good titanium handle - get it made to your preferred design even. And then put a R41 head on it. Or a Karve OC E plate, though I'd still opt for the R41 having used all three of these razors. Efficiency between the three is quite similar, and the shaves turn out pretty much identical.

I just did a quick shave-off between the Bronze and R41, both on titanium handles, to satisfy my curiosity. If it had to be one, the R41 would stay and the Bronze would go. Better handling and cuts just a tiny bit closer with no irritation.

Last edited:
Even Timeless 0.38 bronze is quite aggressive for me personally. I myself could not use it for daily shaving. Make no mistake about the small gap. The design of the razor bronze is different, different from the usual.
P.S.
Though in advance and do not congratulate ...

Even Timeless 0.38 bronze is quite aggressive for me personally. I myself could not use it for daily shaving. Make no mistake about the small gap. The design of the razor bronze is different, different from the usual.
P.S.
Though in advance and do not congratulate ...
+1
That's why my is for sale

The Bronze OC .78 is a very nice head and shaves efficiently and with a nice feel. Some can use the handle and some can't. At a total weight of 129g (I weighed mine) I can't - the 85g handle went straight back in the box and I use a Russian 53g titanium handle with it. Changing the handle is a possible outcome for you - you may/may not like it.

I just did a quick shave-off between the Bronze and R41, both on titanium handles, to satisfy my curiosity. If it had to be one, the R41 would stay and the Bronze would go. Better handling and cuts just a tiny bit closer with no irritation.
No offense but putting a 53g titanium handle on a head this heavy strikes me as kinda nuts for most. Whatever works I guess but talk about an unbalanced razor. I use this Tibam handle, balance is excellent and it's both lighter and grippier than stock. I prefer the Timeless over the R41 in every way.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
No offense but putting a 53g titanium handle on a head this heavy strikes me as kinda nuts for most. Whatever works I guess but talk about an unbalanced razor.

No - it's not unbalanced at all. What you're forgetting here is the extra width of the titanium handle - 16mm. That gives quite a different feel in the hand. What I find "unbalanced" is heavy handles where gravity drags down the handle, affecting the shaving angle unless you can allow for that in your technique. Moving more weight towards the head makes the razor much more manoeuvrable. I'd never use a 120g razor personally - I just don't see it. YMMV of course....

But in any case, it's easy to see that the Bronze OC .78 is the odd one out here. Just look at these razor balance ratios which show the ratio of head to total weight - under 50% is handle heavy, over is head heavy:

Timeless Bronze OC 0.78 - 34%
Timeless OC .95 + H1 - 36%
Att R2 + Atlas - 40%
Rockwell 6C - 42%
Timeless Bronze OC + Ti handle (53g) - 45%
Fatip Grande - 48%
Muhle R41 - 50%
Gillette Long Comb - 59%

Many shavers like a 50% balance and historically the Gillette razors were close to or over that for many decades. Heavy handles are a recent hi-end phenomenon. The Bronze with the titanium handle I use is actually more handle-heavy than the R41, which is a fairly typical design. And quite a lot more handle-heavy than some vintage Gillettes. You may have all kinds of preferences for how you like razors to balance, but data is data.

Last edited:
No - it's not unbalanced at all. What you're forgetting here is the extra width of the titanium handle - 16mm. That gives quite a different feel in the hand. What I find "unbalanced" is heavy handles where gravity drags down the handle, affecting the shaving angle unless you can allow for that in your technique. Moving more weight towards the head makes the razor much more manoeuvrable.
Preference is subjective, balance point isn't . Can you show me the balance point with the Ti handle? I do have a fat 60g handle which balances ok , a bit short but I might give it a try. I'm not a huge fan of heavy handles but I do want razors to balance properly especially on my head.

proxy.php

I just added the data - see above. This shows the ratios we are talking about. I don't head shave, so I can't comment on how that works out.

I just added the data - see above. This shows the ratios we are talking about. I don't head shave, so I can't comment on how that works out.
I was looking to see the balance point rather than a ratio but I guess I'll take your word for it. However it should be noted that whether "moving weight toward the head makes a razor more maneuverable" depends entirely on how one grips the razor, and I know in my case that grip depends on a lot more factors than simply weight.

....whether "moving weight toward the head makes a razor more maneuverable" depends entirely on how one grips the razor, and I know in my case that grip depends on a lot more factors than simply weight.

Yes indeed, you're quite right - that's what I meant by talking about the width of the handle, for instance. Titanium handles can easily be 15-16mm wide since it's a lighter metal and that gives quite a different grip. Brass and SS handles were typically 12.8mm to keep the weight down, as well as being conveniently 1/2 inch. Some handles are thinner even than that, especially a lot of vintage ones.

Are the bronze baseplates interchangeable with the stainless?
From the Timeless FAQ page:

QUESTION: Are the Bronze parts interchangeable with the stainless steel and the titanium parts?

ANSWER: Yes, all of our parts are interchangeable even with different metals

While they are interchangeable it will depend on how mild or aggressive you want your razor to be. I prefer mild and tried different combinations including handles and Ti head is my favorite. Also I prefer GC .68 over timeless SS .68 scalloped or .38 and of course over .78 Bronze

I have the Smooth Bronze and the Titanium. .95 OC. The Bronze was more efficient than the Titanium in .68 smooth for me. I don't have the Bronze OC. I'd rank what I have as 1. Titanium. .95 OC, 2) Bronze .38 Smooth . 3) Titanium. 68 Smooth. For me I love the .95 OC Titanium and the Bronze .38 for an everyday. YMMV.

Top Bottom