What's new

TImeless Bronze OC - What to Exchange it for? - Help

Well, I'm sad to say that I don't think the Timeless Bronze 0.78 OC is for me. Even when I think that I've gotten a comfortable shave, that's reasonably close, my face is a little tender for several hours, particularly after multiple days. (I had to give my face a break from this bugger yesterday). It's not an enjoyable shave, and I can shave with most anything.

Matt at Timeless is suggesting the Bronze 38 SB or 68 SS/TI. (He uses a 95 TI has his go-to razor). Who has both the 38 and the 68 (or 95) and compare the comfort and the efficiency. - I use my Rockwell with plate #6 (0.79 Gap, granted gap isn't everything), and my Slim at 9 (1.14 Gap) and get more enjoyable shaves. Need some help, as I really hate returning this. The idea of the really smooth Bronze 38 is appealing, but I also want good efficiency.

The Bronze SB is probably an even swap, I would imagine just the bottom plate, but didn't ask. While the SS costs more, I have a couple of nice stainless handles and could potentially just buy the cap & bottom plate and use one of those handles, and could minimize the difference by not getting the handle.

Anybody shaved with all of the above and can help advise?

Interesting tid-bit, according to Matt, there's a pass-around on Badger & Blade of a Timeless razor or set? - Where, I haven't seen it, and have pretty much been a constant visitor for well over a year.

As you use your Slim at setting 9 and your Rockwell plate side 6, then the Bronze SB will be too mild for you. I've both the Bronze SB and OC plates and they are on complete opposite sides of the scales concerning aggressiveness.

But as you probably know mildness is not a bad thing. I prefer the SB, by the way, but bear in mind it's mildness.

There are discussions on other forums comparing the OC to be more aggressive than the R41.

Well, I'm sad to say that I don't think the Timeless Bronze 0.78 OC is for me. Even when I think that I've gotten a comfortable shave, that's reasonably close, my face is a little tender for several hours, particularly after multiple days. (I had to give my face a break from this bugger yesterday). It's not an enjoyable shave, and I can shave with most anything.

Matt at Timeless is suggesting the Bronze 38 SB or 68 SS/TI. (He uses a 95 TI has his go-to razor). Who has both the 38 and the 68 (or 95) and compare the comfort and the efficiency. - I use my Rockwell with plate #6 (0.79 Gap, granted gap isn't everything), and my Slim at 9 (1.14 Gap) and get more enjoyable shaves. Need some help, as I really hate returning this. The idea of the really smooth Bronze 38 is appealing, but I also want good efficiency.

The Bronze SB is probably an even swap, I would imagine just the bottom plate, but didn't ask. While the SS costs more, I have a couple of nice stainless handles and could potentially just buy the cap & bottom plate and use one of those handles, and could minimize the difference by not getting the handle.

Anybody shaved with all of the above and can help advise?
Ask ShaveMD. He has all the models.
I Have the .68.OC, a Dual comb .95 OC:SB and I’ve got the Bronze with both OC and the SB baseplate. I happen to love the .74 OC Bronze but I understand for some it may be somewhat aggressive. I will say it has a very tiny sweet spot and if you not in it for sure it can nip you or at least cause irritation. Based on what you wrote I’d opt for a dual comb .68 with the SB/OC combo. Both smooth shaving and somewhat efficient. More so than the Bronze 38 but less than both the .95 and the .74 Bronze.
Blade choice is also important. What were you using in your Bronze OC?

@Dragonsbeard is giving you good advice. Both he and @Bbb34 suggested that I try Polsilver and Kai blades when I was trying to improve my experience with a pair of Timeless razors.

I have a 95 SB and a 68 with both scalloped and OC plates. I've been practicing with the 68 oc and have been very happy with it using Kai blades daily for about a month while I perfected my technique. This combination for me gives no irritation and a bbs shave to the point where it's routine, almost mindless.

I prefer to use Polsilver in the 95, and it demands a little more attention, but it's a slightly closer shave. I think that if I had only one of the two I would be equally happy. Initially I preferred the 95 for its wider range of shaving angle, but now I like the 68 for its forgiving nature. I'm sure you'd be happy with either one.

I received some good advice from several forum members that you might find interesting here, if you would like to take a look:
Looking For Advice on Timeless Purchase

Good luck, I hope that you find one that works well for you.

I traded both my bronze .38 and SS .68 as they were both a little too mild for me. My favorite Timeless is the SS .95 SB. The .95 OC is a little more efficient but at the expense of smoothness. Haven't tried the SS .95 scalloped or bronze .78.

I recently purchased a Ti .68 / .95SB from a BST on another thread and have had the most awesome shaves since I started wet shaving. The titanium seems to just glide over my skin so easily and though originally I thought the .95 would be too aggressive for me it wasn't and the .68 base plate was sold off within 7-10 days and I haven't looked back. I truly believe this is the last razor I will ever buy and am alright with that.

Your words have been recorded. In case you buy another razor ever, you will be claimed guilty and you will start shaving with a cartridge for 5 years.
(just joking :))

I truly believe this is the last razor I will ever buy and am alright with that.

Your words have been recorded. In case you buy another razor ever, you will be claimed guilty and you will start shaving with a cartridge for 5 years.
(just joking :))
Thumbs Up.png

This morning I sat looking at the Bronze beauty, thought about it for a minute and gave in, loading one of the last Rockwell blades into it. (They're not particularly sharp, but tend to be very smooth or maybe two shaves). It wasn't the most comfortable shave, but a heck of a lot better, and I did. get pretty much BBS, except for the upper lip.....couldn't do ATG, went at an angle and got it a good DFS. Couple of small weepers the size of pin pricks, but no major damage, even along the neck tendons on each side, a notoriously sensitive area.

To get that good a result, I washed my face with glycerin soap, applied hair conditions and let it soak while showering, then applied a pre-shave glycerin soap to my face while loading my 30mm with Stirling Tuscany Soap, and finally proceeded to face lather, thoroughly working the thick creamy Stirling into my face for each of the three passes. - Topped it off with Avon Deep Woods AS/Cologne and Stirling unscented balm...good sting from the AS, I might add.

Who was running the pole for the most aggressive razor and had a Rockwell 6s listed on it? ..... scratch off that 6s and add the Timeless Bronze OC, it would have my vote instantly. Even at it's very narrow sweet spot, it's one aggressive razor.

I'm using it as much as I can to make certain I'm not going to regret sending it back or exchanging it.

Replacement will most likely be a SB or Scalloped 0.95, just haven't decide on SS or Ti. Ti would be lighter and even more durable, but the shine of the SS when polished is appealing. (I also have several nice stainless handles I could use and just buy the cap & base). Giving up on the OC, they've never been my favorites, as ATG under the nose is too difficult with them.

With the release so close, the right side of my brain is wondering if I should just return it, and wait for the RR Game Changer reviews at this point.

@Dragonsbeard is giving you good advice. Both he and @Bbb34 suggested that I try Polsilver and Kai blades when I was trying to improve my experience with a pair of Timeless razors.

I have a 95 SB and a 68 with both scalloped and OC plates. I've been practicing with the 68 oc and have been very happy with it using Kai blades daily for about a month while I perfected my technique. This combination for me gives no irritation and a bbs shave to the point where it's routine, almost mindless.

I prefer to use Polsilver in the 95, and it demands a little more attention, but it's a slightly closer shave. I think that if I had only one of the two I would be equally happy. Initially I preferred the 95 for its wider range of shaving angle, but now I like the 68 for its forgiving nature. I'm sure you'd be happy with either one.

I received some good advice from several forum members that you might find interesting here, if you would like to take a look:
Looking For Advice on Timeless Purchase

Good luck, I hope that you find one that works well for you.
You my friend are on your way to great shaves. Reason is your taking your time to learn about the razor you paid for and your trying to learn good technique and choosing the right blade for the right razor and other software that works for your skin. I see to many people buying a Timeless and giving up and sending them back. I don't know if a lot of people know TImeless has to give those razors they send back away! They don't resell them. I personally could not return a razor anymore knowing that fact. I'd sell it first or make a trade with someone. I think to many people give up to soon without really learning how to shave with the razor. Having 3 Timeless razors and a combo of 4 baseplates I can use any one of them and get a great shave. I use the different .gaps on different days. A .38 on the Bronze if I'm just doing a buffing shave like if I'm going out at night and I've already shaved in the morning as it's a nice mild razor. I use the .68 if I have one days growth and the Bronze .74 or SS .95 if I have 2 or more days growth. Learning good technique takes time and practice. In my opinion to many people abuse Timeless's 30 day return policy and what kills me is when they go buy a $40 dollar razor after they've tried 2 or 3 different Timeless razors and baseplates and then say " Oh yeah I've owned a Timeless and tried the different baseplates but I just couldn't get a good shave out of them! I say BS and man up. You bought the darn razor and if it's to aggressive for you just sell the baseplate and get a less efficient one or to mild for you then sell that plate and order a more efficient plate or just sell the whole darn razor and take your losses.
Sorry for the rant but that kind of behavior bugs the crap out of me and I know a lot of people don't purposely abuse their return policy or I'm sure some didn't know they don't resell the razors after their returned but there are some that know exactly what their doing and those are the ones I'm talking about.
Timeless is a great company and a bunch of good guys.

I have owned every Timeless Razor. I have kept the .95 with every baseplate and the Ti. IMHO the Ti is the smoothest of the .95 and the efficiency is one of if not the best of all my DE’s

Not sure if the mismatch would bug me, but, does the Bronze cap properly mate to the SS & TI base plates? - It shouldn't cause galvanisation, as those metals aren't highly reactive.

Today I managed a pretty close 2 pass with touch ups. Went ATG then XTG, with slower movements. Day off for Good Friday, so time was in abundance. Still not my favorite, but I've been really trying. - Feel a little guilty returning it, as I have a conscience. If I get to sort of liking it, it'll be a keeper. - Still have a about a week.

Memory serves me that Matt has said that it didn't matter whether it was Bronze, SS, or Ti that it was all interchangeable and usable...

Not sure if the mismatch would bug me, but, does the Bronze cap properly mate to the SS & TI base plates? - It shouldn't cause galvanisation, as those metals aren't highly reactive.

Today I managed a pretty close 2 pass with touch ups. Went ATG then XTG, with slower movements. Day off for Good Friday, so time was in abundance. Still not my favorite, but I've been really trying. - Feel a little guilty returning it, as I have a conscience. If I get to sort of liking it, it'll be a keeper. - Still have a about a week.
How long do you have to make a decision? Do you have a week or more?

You my friend are on your way to great shaves. Reason is your taking your time to learn about the razor you paid for and your trying to learn good technique and choosing the right blade for the right razor and other software that works for your skin. I see to many people buying a Timeless and giving up and sending them back. I don't know if a lot of people know TImeless has to give those razors they send back away! They don't resell them. I personally could not return a razor anymore knowing that fact. I'd sell it first or make a trade with someone. I think to many people give up to soon without really learning how to shave with the razor. Having 3 Timeless razors and a combo of 4 baseplates I can use any one of them and get a great shave. I use the different .gaps on different days. A .38 on the Bronze if I'm just doing a buffing shave like if I'm going out at night and I've already shaved in the morning as it's a nice mild razor. I use the .68 if I have one days growth and the Bronze .74 or SS .95 if I have 2 or more days growth. Learning good technique takes time and practice. In my opinion to many people abuse Timeless's 30 day return policy and what kills me is when they go buy a $40 dollar razor after they've tried 2 or 3 different Timeless razors and baseplates and then say " Oh yeah I've owned a Timeless and tried the different baseplates but I just couldn't get a good shave out of them! I say BS and man up. You bought the darn razor and if it's to aggressive for you just sell the baseplate and get a less efficient one or to mild for you then sell that plate and order a more efficient plate or just sell the whole darn razor and take your losses.
Sorry for the rant but that kind of behavior bugs the crap out of me and I know a lot of people don't purposely abuse their return policy or I'm sure some didn't know they don't resell the razors after their returned but there are some that know exactly what their doing and those are the ones I'm talking about.
Timeless is a great company and a bunch of good guys.
It was talking to Matt at Timeless that did it for me. I called him and asked about returning the scalloped 68 plate and he said that he would rather me return it than have some of their product I was less than happy with. I asked if they would be able to resell it and he said no.

So I ordered another BYO 68 with the OC plate and kept the 68 scalloped plate. It was more than enough for me that he was friendly and accommodating, and I decided to take the challenge to learn the 68 which would only improve my technique with the 95.

Thank you very much for your help through this, if it weren't for you and @Bbb34 I would have never thought about trying the Timeless with either Polsilver or Kai blades. You guys are tops in my book!

Nearly positive I purchased the Bronze on the 9th, although it arrived a couple days later. A week, possibly 10 days if they use the delivery date, with a day or two safety margin.

I've used it every day except one day, that I needed after a rough shave. Going to look for the PolSilvers for tomorrow. - I don't give up easily.

Hopefully any magic I find helps others. Since the KAI was my first shave, I may also revisit them, now that I'm more accustomed to the razor.

Last edited:
Nearly positive I purchased the Bronze on the 9th, although it arrived a couple days later. A week, possibly 10 days if they use the delivery date, with a day or two safety margin.

I've used it every day except one day, that I needed after a rough shave. Going to look for the PolSilvers for tomorrow. - I don't give up easily.

Hopefully any magic I find helps others. Since the KAI was my first shave, I may also revisit them, now that I'm more accustomed to the razor.
I sure hope that it works out for you, but if it doesn't, shoot me a pm. I'm still using my 68 OC, so if you want to try it out I can send you a SS 95 SB and a 68 scalloped plate to see if one of them would be a good fit for you.

It was talking to Matt at Timeless that did it for me. I called him and asked about returning the scalloped 68 plate and he said that he would rather me return it than have some of their product I was less than happy with. I asked if they would be able to resell it and he said no.

So I ordered another BYO 68 with the OC plate and kept the 68 scalloped plate. It was more than enough for me that he was friendly and accommodating, and I decided to take the challenge to learn the 68 which would only improve my technique with the 95.

Thank you very much for your help through this, if it weren't for you and @Bbb34 I would have never thought about trying the Timeless with either Polsilver or Kai blades. You guys are tops in my book!
:a14:You have my total respect by keeping the baseplate and deciding to learn how to use it. Good choice! After you use it for a while if you still aren't happy with it just put it on BST or online and I'm sure it will sell in a NY heartbeat.
This site is all about helping others in the wet shaving community to help them achieve a great shave or learn about shaving gear and the history behind the gear etc. We are all shaving brothers so It's what we do right! Bonky anytime you'd like to talk shaving or razors etc just pm me.
Glad the suggestion to use the Kai and Polsilver blades they are my personal favorites.

Regards!

You my friend are on your way to great shaves. Reason is your taking your time to learn about the razor you paid for and your trying to learn good technique and choosing the right blade for the right razor and other software that works for your skin...

+1! Yep. It takes awhile to figure out how to get the best out of a razor! And it is well worth the effort IMO!

Top Bottom