What's new

Timeless Bronze .38 Review and Analysis

There have been a few reviews of the Timeless Bronze already and some users in the CONUS have had these for some weeks now, however, I received mine yesterday after a torturous two week journey to the Great Southern Land. Thanks for nothing USPS item tracking service!

So, what will follow is a few days of shaving and reports followed by a detailed look at the configuration of the razor head to understand why it performs as it does. The Bronze is now the sixth razor I own, it's stablemates include a Timeless SS .68 SB, Feather AS-D2, Rockwell 6S, Gillette 1972 English Tech, Gillette NEW LC from a no.44 set... I think.

After reading a few of the reviews and in particular @JazzDoc's remarks about this razor being 'fast' I already had a good idea of how this razor was going to perform as we share an affinity for the same razors it seems. While several members here tried to get me some photos to enhance my understanding of the configuration, ultimately none were able to confirm my suspicion. My suspicion was that this razor was not only quite a departure from what Timeless had done before, but it was also a move to a Rockwell style guard-blade-cap geometry which makes for a very forgiving razor.

I'm a big believer that blade gap is a poor measure of performance and that the advertised 0.38mm blade gap was largely meaningless other than to suggest it would favour someone with a preference for milder razors, unlike the rest of their offerings. For reference the Rockwell #1 plate has roughly the same blade gap and it's too mild even for me.

After viewing the guard-blade-cap geometry for myself yesterday my suspicion was largely confirmed. With a large cap span, moderately high blade angle and very narrow guard span this is definitely a design reminiscent of the Rockwell 6S concept. In fact, the only major differences I see are that the blade is better supported and the safety bar is quite a bit narrower being more like a rounded corner rather than a surface, per se.

Two things spring immediately to mind with this configuration. One, with lowish blade exposure this razor will be better served by a sharper blade and two, finding the shaving angle is largely redundant because of the very narrow safety bar. Imagine if you will that a small amount of pressure will correctly locate your skin to the blade edge even if you approach is too steep because the narrow safety bar will prompt your skin to flex into the correct position. Again, a design theme reminiscent of the Rockwell 6S in that performance doesn't rely on your ability to find the angle, the razor does much of the work for you.

In rounding out this observation I'll relate it back to @JazzDoc's observation. Forgiving blade exposure, wide cap span, narrow guard span, narrow (read easy to locate successfully) safety bar and sharp blade equals 'fast'. Oh yeah, I think this is gonna' be a winner.

Shave Report #1: Timeless Bronze, Perma-Sharp Super, Simpson Chubby 1 Supper, Fat 'as soap, warm shower and cool shave water.

First impression is that it shaves a bit like the Rockwell 6S on plate #2. The shave is easy and intuitive, requires no learning curve at all and it's quiet. The mass and glide of the bronze contribute to the sensation of a smooth shave in collaboration with the sharp blade. First pass is XTG and results in a very quick removal of the bulk of my whiskers, closer and quicker than other razors I've tried including the Rockwell. Fast is right!

Second pass is largely ATG except for the lower neck which is XTG in the opposite direction. It's at this stage I'm noticing a very low but sweet resonance which I've not heard before. Does bronze sing? By the end of pass two there's little work left to do.

Third pass is ATG on the lower neck plus a little clean up under the jaw line and around some of the chin creases. Result is BBS for all except the very lowest region of my neck, which has been problematic with everything. The Timeless SS .68 SB is the only razor I use which can catch all of these whiskers, though it's also the most aggressive razor configuration I use, and with the greatest care and focus required.

Alum block indicates a very comfortable shave with only very mild sting in a couple of areas. I'm surprised that the sting on my neck isn't greater, very comfortable. Three hours later there's no lasting heat or touch sensitivity which has been the hallmark of a truly great shave.

There's a very interesting upside to the narrow safety bar which I don't believe anyone else has commented on; it's really easy to get under the nose and makes it simple to cut the sideburns straight. Not a feature I've raved about with any other razors and a standout on the bronze.

Down sides? None so far. Aesthetics don't play the role for me that they do for others, the Rockwell is certainly the ugliest razor I own but I use it more that any other. I can't say I'm a fan of how the bronze looks, but that certainly won't stop me using it on a daily basis.

Tomorrow I might attempt an even sharper blade like the Feather Hi-Stainless.

:07::07:
:a52:

I had almost calmed down my RAD on this one. Good review, Dave.
Have patience Grasshopper the more efficient baseplate will be coming soon. I know you can do it! On the serious side I do know the feeling as I’ve had it in my shopping cart line 4 different times! :07:

This razor is quickly becoming a favourite of mine, it’s so comfortable to shave with. The only issue I have is that there’s a lot of faults on the finish of my razor that shouldn’t have passed quality control and I almost feel it’s faulty bronze that was used. I had the same issue when I bought a stainless steel razor from them, they didn’t polish the handle and it looked weird with a nice polished head and a machined finish handle. This has been Timeless only and biggest fault in my past dealings with them. They already told me if I keep it they’ll send me a replacement, their customer service is great but just up your quality control.

It is possible they could become victims of their own success. Demand goes up, staff come it, quality suffers... Age old story. Mine has very minor finish defects, but I didn't consider them worth mentioning when they have no impact on performance, especially when I'll do worse the first time I drop it into the sink.

Great review, Dave! :thumbup1: There is so much that you wrote that had me shaking my head up and down in agreement. Really good! I look forward to the pictures. Are you going to be making measurements?

Part of the reason I started the thread was to commit myself to getting pics and measurements, so yes, specs to follow. It's not that I'm lazy, per se, it's just a case of prioritising tasks at hand. If people are expecting them they get a higher priority. Finish the garden beds for the Minister for Marital Happiness, or take pictures of razors... tough one. ;)

Part of the reason I started the thread was to commit myself to getting pics and measurements, so yes, specs to follow. It's not that I'm lazy, per se, it's just a case of prioritising tasks at hand. If people are expecting them they get a higher priority. Finish the garden beds for the Minister for Marital Happiness, or take pictures of razors... tough one. ;)

Excellent! :001_smile Take your time. No rush. That might be a good part of the reason why I like to post everything together in an OP. I get to take my time putting together pictures and writing a post, which can get very long, and then, BAM, it's posted and done without pressure from thread viewers wanting more. :001_tongu

:lol:

I do that so often I'm beginning to wonder why! LOL
I think it’s because we like a razor such as the Bronze and a part of us wants it but a part of us knows it’s not exactly the right razor for our shaving needs but we want it to be cause it looks so good. I know one thing. If the Bronze were a little more efficient it would have been in my den by now!

I know one thing. If the Bronze were a little more efficient it would have been in my den by now!
It would be remarkably simple to make it a little more efficient. Some fine wet and dry glued to a flat surface (I use a float glass lapping plate, very cheap) and some gaffer tape would do it.

I love my Bronze Timeless. If I remember correctly when I bought it it is supposed to not be highly finished, more of a rougher machined look to it, which I like.

I think a shim would be easier.
Of course. I keep thinking, why wait for a more efficient base plate? Obviously a shim is the simplest way to change it, but some people hate dealing with shims. So, unlike most razors which have a core material and a plating, the bronze can be simply modified to make it more efficient.

There have been a few reviews of the Timeless Bronze already and some users in the CONUS have had these for some weeks now, however, I received mine yesterday after a torturous two week journey to the Great Southern Land. Thanks for nothing USPS item tracking service!

So, what will follow is a few days of shaving and reports followed by a detailed look at the configuration of the razor head to understand why it performs as it does. The Bronze is now the sixth razor I own, it's stablemates include a Timeless SS .68 SB, Feather AS-D2, Rockwell 6S, Gillette 1972 English Tech, Gillette NEW LC from a no.44 set... I think.

After reading a few of the reviews and in particular @JazzDoc's remarks about this razor being 'fast' I already had a good idea of how this razor was going to perform as we share an affinity for the same razors it seems. While several members here tried to get me some photos to enhance my understanding of the configuration, ultimately none were able to confirm my suspicion. My suspicion was that this razor was not only quite a departure from what Timeless had done before, but it was also a move to a Rockwell style guard-blade-cap geometry which makes for a very forgiving razor.

I'm a big believer that blade gap is a poor measure of performance and that the advertised 0.38mm blade gap was largely meaningless other than to suggest it would favour someone with a preference for milder razors, unlike the rest of their offerings. For reference the Rockwell #1 plate has roughly the same blade gap and it's too mild even for me.

After viewing the guard-blade-cap geometry for myself yesterday my suspicion was largely confirmed. With a large cap span, moderately high blade angle and very narrow guard span this is definitely a design reminiscent of the Rockwell 6S concept. In fact, the only major differences I see are that the blade is better supported and the safety bar is quite a bit narrower being more like a rounded corner rather than a surface, per se.

Two things spring immediately to mind with this configuration. One, with lowish blade exposure this razor will be better served by a sharper blade and two, finding the shaving angle is largely redundant because of the very narrow safety bar. Imagine if you will that a small amount of pressure will correctly locate your skin to the blade edge even if you approach is too steep because the narrow safety bar will prompt your skin to flex into the correct position. Again, a design theme reminiscent of the Rockwell 6S in that performance doesn't rely on your ability to find the angle, the razor does much of the work for you.

In rounding out this observation I'll relate it back to @JazzDoc's observation. Forgiving blade exposure, wide cap span, narrow guard span, narrow (read easy to locate successfully) safety bar and sharp blade equals 'fast'. Oh yeah, I think this is gonna' be a winner.

Shave Report #1: Timeless Bronze, Perma-Sharp Super, Simpson Chubby 1 Supper, Fat 'as soap, warm shower and cool shave water.

First impression is that it shaves a bit like the Rockwell 6S on plate #2. The shave is easy and intuitive, requires no learning curve at all and it's quiet. The mass and glide of the bronze contribute to the sensation of a smooth shave in collaboration with the sharp blade. First pass is XTG and results in a very quick removal of the bulk of my whiskers, closer and quicker than other razors I've tried including the Rockwell. Fast is right!

Second pass is largely ATG except for the lower neck which is XTG in the opposite direction. It's at this stage I'm noticing a very low but sweet resonance which I've not heard before. Does bronze sing? By the end of pass two there's little work left to do.

Third pass is ATG on the lower neck plus a little clean up under the jaw line and around some of the chin creases. Result is BBS for all except the very lowest region of my neck, which has been problematic with everything. The Timeless SS .68 SB is the only razor I use which can catch all of these whiskers, though it's also the most aggressive razor configuration I use, and with the greatest care and focus required.

Alum block indicates a very comfortable shave with only very mild sting in a couple of areas. I'm surprised that the sting on my neck isn't greater, very comfortable. Three hours later there's no lasting heat or touch sensitivity which has been the hallmark of a truly great shave.

There's a very interesting upside to the narrow safety bar which I don't believe anyone else has commented on; it's really easy to get under the nose and makes it simple to cut the sideburns straight. Not a feature I've raved about with any other razors and a standout on the bronze.

Down sides? None so far. Aesthetics don't play the role for me that they do for others, the Rockwell is certainly the ugliest razor I own but I use it more that any other. I can't say I'm a fan of how the bronze looks, but that certainly won't stop me using it on a daily basis.

Tomorrow I might attempt an even sharper blade like the Feather Hi-Stainless.

So glad you're loving the razor, @TheKman! I wouldn't steer you wrong! :ihih::ihih:

Just don't buy anything else, OK? The wife is asking question I don't like answering. :a30:

Shave Report #2: Timeless Bronze, Perma-Sharp Super, Simpson Chubby 1 Supper, Fat 'as soap, tepid shower and cool shave water.

We had the first really warm night of spring in Melbourne last night, 28C in the house (~82F) so it was a less than warm shower, but whiskers were ready all the same.

Rather than change blades this morning I decided to experiment with pressure and angle, just to see how wide the range of acceptable parameters is. No great surprise then the range of pressure and angle is very wide while still achieving a great shave. Like the Rockwell it's very forgiving of too much pressure, though it does still reward a light touch. I don't think I'm getting the best out of this razor with the Perm-Sharp Super though, the combo gets me a very comfortable and close shave in short order, but a really close shave requires just a bit too much effort.

End result was not quite as good as yesterday because the blade had reached the end of it's life with four shaves on it, but BBS mostly. I'll definitely try some different blades next as I feel there's untapped potential here. My instincts tell me sharper is best, so Feather up next.

Just don't buy anything else, OK? The wife is asking question I don't like answering. :a30:
No worries, @TheKman. Lately (for the past few months) I've been totally immersed in the world of straight razors and beyond the shaving and honing, I've been learning restoration of the blades and scales, and fashioning my own scales. So now instead of safety razors I get to spend a small fortune on shop tools and the like...
The learning curve for straight razor shaving is steep, and thus far I've avoided major hemorrhagic incidents.
One thing I can say - after all this, when I go back and use a DE razor, it's child's play - even an R41 is no longer daunting. The word "aggressive" seems to take on a wholly different meaning! :letterk1:

Perhaps I'm fortunate that straights don't seem to work all that well for me so far, my skin is a bit fragile and bumpy. I have a shop full of timber and steel working tools already, all I needed to add was a finishing stone and some diamond pastes. I made a Kangaroo leather strop myself. So far I've got the honing/polishing/stropping thing all zipped up but I've struggled a bit with actually using it. Being a little bit time poor has meant infrequent use, so practical skills with a straight are low.

I suppose you've noticed my penchant for 'easy' and 'fast' razors, yes? I really love learning new skills, lately I've just not got the time. :(

Top Bottom