What's new

Timeless Aluminum Razor Set

I have emailed Timeless to ask if I have defective parts or if SS & Ti parts do not fit Bronze and Al. Will post reply once received.
Here’s Matt’s response:

Hi Robert. I’m sorry, only the SS, TI, and Bronze parts are interchangeable. The Aluminum is its own setup.

Thank you
Matt
Sales department
Timeless Razor

M

member 119848

Sometimes I´m wondering about the longevity of aluminum razors.
Even an anodized finish can wear off until the bare metal is reached, and leave the aluminum subject to pitting corrosion. Of course, the process should take years of duty. Am I wrong?
Just a thought...

Even an anodized finish can wear off until the bare metal is reached, and leave the aluminum subject to pitting corrosion. Of course, the process should take years of duty. Am I wrong?
Just a thought...
It doesn't have to be that way....my aluminum Schick A and Gibbs Adjustable look awfully good even compared to their plated brass contemporaries
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

M

member 119848

thanks for the pics, @jmudrick
It proves it all depends on the environment the razors are stored in over time, and the care taken to maintain them in good shape.
I had an aluminum (anodized) camping teapot that completely corroded after being stored under the carport for a couple of years. We live by the sea, so that should have been expected...
Even brass or bronze would have developed verdigris in the same conditions.
The only material that would survive such a negligence would be titanium.
Under normal bathroom conditions I don´t think corrosion should occur (unless we use our bathrooms like saunas and let our razors sit wet after using them).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
thanks for the pics, @jmudrick
Even brass or bronze would have developed verdigris in the same conditions.
The only material that would survive such a negligence would be titanium.
Under normal bathroom conditions I don´t think corrosion should occur (unless we use our bathrooms like saunas and let our razors sit wet after using them).

Umm, yes. Titanium Timeless ... like this Ti68 with custom Russian Ti handle!

full

AA :001_tt2:

Just wondering how the shapes are going with Timeless aluminum razor. It's been a few more days now so I'm wondering where are the razor is fitting in the program, anyone?

I have an Aluminum and seem to pick it up most mornings. Sales must be going well as Timeless was sold out for awhile a week or so ago. IMO the Aluminum was brought out for yet another choice to those who prefer a light razor. Timeless did state that the Aluminum would not be sold by piece as the others are, but at $75.00 for a whole razor you can’t go wrong. My only wish is that Timeless offered more handle choices in some of their razors.

I have an Aluminum and seem to pick it up most mornings. Sales must be going well as Timeless was sold out for awhile a week or so ago. IMO the Aluminum was brought out for yet another choice to those who prefer a light razor. Timeless did state that the Aluminum would not be sold by piece as the others are, but at $75.00 for a whole razor you can’t go wrong. My only wish is that Timeless offered more handle choices in some of their razors.
That's good to know still using it, because sometimes when the new wears off, things turn out differently. I'm kind of with you about some of the handles, wish they offer different ones besides stainless steel

I got one from a member here a couple of weeks ago. (Thanks Oleg!) I've had about a half dozen shaves with it so far. It's a beautiful piece. I like the handle a lot. The razor's light weight is a surprise to the hand every time I pick it up, because its size makes it look like it should be heavier. It's a sturdy looking tool. I'm still getting used to the lightness of it, along with a Lupo I recently got. The difference is that the Lupo doesn't look heavy! I really like the looks of the Timeless.

The Timeless razor is an odd one to me so far. By odd I mean it has an unusual combination of aggressiveness and lack of efficiency. It feels and sounds like it's doing some serious whisker removal, and it'll nick my chin or neck if I get too careless or apply too much pressure. That's what I mean about its aggressiveness. But I have to work harder to get the same smoothness of shave with it than I do with several other razors. After one pass, there's a lot more stubble left than I would have guessed based on how prominent the blade feels against my face and how much noise the razor makes. That's what I mean about the lack of efficiency. I don't have another razor with this combination. A Tech feels mild, and is inefficient. An R41 feels aggressive, and is efficient. The Timeless Aluminum is a different experience for me.

I shaved with an R41 almost exclusively for the past four years. It's my reference for efficiency, and I suppose for aggressiveness too. I'd occasionally pull out the NEW SC or LC, or the Fatip or Plisson, or the '34 Aristocrat, or the Red Tip, or whatever caught my eye in the drawer. I'd shave with one of those a time or two before putting it back in the drawer and going back to old reliable R41.

I've stayed away from these shave forums since late 2014 or early '15 because I had enough razors and blades and brushes and soaps and creams and aftershaves to last three sane people twenty years. Hanging out on these forums causes me to accumulate stuff I don't need! I hadn't bought any new shave stuff in four years. Just been trying to use up the stuff I had with my trusty favorite razors and brushes. Then this past April I got an email promotion for Mergress razors on sale. I've been curious about the Progress/Mergress for years, and I thought I might as well use that sale price as an excuse to give it try. Naturally, I had to get back on the shave forums to read up on the new razor and how people were using it. That was all it took. I fell back into the abyss of shaving equipment and supplies accumulation hell. In the last four months, I've bought ten razors, 650 blades, four brushes, three soaps, and two aftershaves! But to quote Elwood Blues, "I'm on a mission from God!" I'm determined to find a razor/blade/soap combination that gives me an R41 shave without the R41 hazard to my chin. I don't think the Timeless Aluminum will be the R41 killer, but it's a worthy addition to my stable. I've already had a few good shaves with it, and after I use it enough to figure it out, I expect it'll become one of my regulars. It's too nice a tool to not make it work. I recommend giving it a go if you get a chance at one. Now I want to try the Titanium. Damn!

I got one from a member here a couple of weeks ago. (Thanks Oleg!) I've had about a half dozen shaves with it so far. It's a beautiful piece. I like the handle a lot. The razor's light weight is a surprise to the hand every time I pick it up, because its size makes it look like it should be heavier. It's a sturdy looking tool. I'm still getting used to the lightness of it, along with a Lupo I recently got. The difference is that the Lupo doesn't look heavy! I really like the looks of the Timeless.

The Timeless razor is an odd one to me so far. By odd I mean it has an unusual combination of aggressiveness and lack of efficiency. It feels and sounds like it's doing some serious whisker removal, and it'll nick my chin or neck if I get too careless or apply too much pressure. That's what I mean about its aggressiveness. But I have to work harder to get the same smoothness of shave with it than I do with several other razors. After one pass, there's a lot more stubble left than I would have guessed based on how prominent the blade feels against my face and how much noise the razor makes. That's what I mean about the lack of efficiency. I don't have another razor with this combination. A Tech feels mild, and is inefficient. An R41 feels aggressive, and is efficient. The Timeless Aluminum is a different experience for me.

I shaved with an R41 almost exclusively for the past four years. It's my reference for efficiency, and I suppose for aggressiveness too. I'd occasionally pull out the NEW SC or LC, or the Fatip or Plisson, or the '34 Aristocrat, or the Red Tip, or whatever caught my eye in the drawer. I'd shave with one of those a time or two before putting it back in the drawer and going back to old reliable R41.

I've stayed away from these shave forums since late 2014 or early '15 because I had enough razors and blades and brushes and soaps and creams and aftershaves to last three sane people twenty years. Hanging out on these forums causes me to accumulate stuff I don't need! I hadn't bought any new shave stuff in four years. Just been trying to use up the stuff I had with my trusty favorite razors and brushes. Then this past April I got an email promotion for Mergress razors on sale. I've been curious about the Progress/Mergress for years, and I thought I might as well use that sale price as an excuse to give it try. Naturally, I had to get back on the shave forums to read up on the new razor and how people were using it. That was all it took. I fell back into the abyss of shaving equipment and supplies accumulation hell. In the last four months, I've bought ten razors, 650 blades, four brushes, three soaps, and two aftershaves! But to quote Elwood Blues, "I'm on a mission from God!" I'm determined to find a razor/blade/soap combination that gives me an R41 shave without the R41 hazard to my chin. I don't think the Timeless Aluminum will be the R41 killer, but it's a worthy addition to my stable. I've already had a few good shaves with it, and after I use it enough to figure it out, I expect it'll become one of my regulars. It's too nice a tool to not make it work. I recommend giving it a go if you get a chance at one. Now I want to try the Titanium. Damn!
Man isn't that something after being clean a few from years, addiction is back.Shoot fire!. This shaving stuff can be addicting.

Titanium is a great choice but since you prefer it to be on aggressive side you should look for .95 OC
Happy to hear that you are enjoying Aluminum, it is just aggressive for me. I prefer Ti68 SB, Karve with B plate, 1932 Canadian Tech, 1948 British Aristocrat Jr

The Timeless razor is an odd one to me so far. By odd I mean it has an unusual combination of aggressiveness and lack of efficiency.

This does not sound like a good combination to me. I prefer smooth, yet efficient....like the Timeless SS .95SB.

Looking back through my choked email inbox, I realize I got that sale promotion for the Mergress in June, not April. So I should have said I bought ten razors since June. But I've bought three more since Tuesday. So that's thirteen razors in less than 90 days. This has got to stop. At some point, when I'm caught up on this latest acquisition obsession, I'll post a message somewhere on this site detailing what I've done for the morbidly curious. I'll also be posting some stuff for sale once all this shakes out. I have razors and brushes I haven't used in a long time that need to find new owners.

To keep this message on topic, I'll be shaving with the Timeless Aluminum tonight. Used it the night before last and had a nice shave. But I realized before the shave that I had a Kai blade in it, and I changed it to a Voskhod that had a couple shaves on it. I think I like the feel of the Voskhod over the Kai in this razor. Kai blades have a limited pool of razors they work well in from my experience. I'm going to give it another run with the Voskhod this evening.

My Aluminum likes Feather blades on my head. I need to get some Voskhod blades to try. Been reading good things.

I've liked Voskhods in every razor I've used them in. Had a good shave tonight with the Aluminum and a used Voskhod, a six year old jar of MdC Fougere soap that's still about two thirds full, a new Yaqi Sagrada Familia brush (what a brush!), topped off with SV Tundra Artica aftershave. I love the smell of that stuff. I could marinate in it.

Overall, it was a good shave. But I sacrificed more hide than should be necessary for a close shave. That seems to be the theme with this razor. Last night's shave was with the aluminum Lupo. That shave was every bit as close if not closer than tonight's. But my skin was barely disturbed last night, and it's cowed in the corner tonight quivering in fear that I'm going to make another pass trying to get the shave a little closer. I still say the Timeless Aluminum has an odd combination of relatively high aggressiveness and low efficiency. I'm not giving up on it yet. It's too good a tool to quit on before I figure out how to use it. But it's sure testing my resolve.

Just a thought...

Aluminum is good against general corrosion in mild environments. It has an oxide layer that forms as soon as it encounters water and this oxide layer protects it from further corrosion. So the anodized finish "wearing off" shouldn't be a concern.

However, like stainless steel, it's going to depend on what chemicals the metal comes into contact with. In our case, this will mean we need to know what chemicals our soaps have in them. Sodium Hydroxide and Potassium Hydroxide (chemicals found in nearly every soap) both have a "severe" effect on aluminum. But this is dose and time dependent I would think. In other words, as long as the soap doesn't sit on the razor all the time, you should be OK. Probably a good idea to clean soap scum off the razor regularly, though.

On the other hand, aluminum has good resistance to stearic acid, glycerine and tallow - other chemicals found in most soaps.

But the razor sitting around in a humid (non-salt) environment (like a bathroom) shouldn't be a problem at all in itself.

However, if I had to pick one metal to make a razor out of, it would be titanium without a doubt. It is more corrosion resistant in general than almost all grades of stainless steel. It's also lighter if that is something you prefer.

M

member 119848

Thanks for the insight, @Razor_Ramone
I do think as well, that when an aluminum razor is simply cleaned with a towel, and disassembled to dry after each use, it should last a long time.
Aluminum is the affordable alternative to Titanium.
The main reason why bought stainless steel razors was because of their durability, but at the end, I all sold them because of their heavy weight.

Top Bottom