What's new

Timeless .95 ss tour pass-around!!

B375A7BF-BFB6-4FA2-9DAA-FDD005D77C65.jpeg

Well, for the next seven days. Pics and first report tomorrow!

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of witchcraft is at play here, but it's powerful.

Shave #1 got the .68 scalloped plate and Proraso Green. Of all the soaps I've tried so far, I can honestly say nothing handily beats Proraso for me, and I wanted this first shave to be as bulletproof as possible. It's also been a little while since I've used a Feather blade, so I grabbed the last one in the box and loaded it up. The lather was whipped with my RazoRock Big Bruce in my Timeless blue bowl, and the shave was finished off with a heavy splash of Aqua Velva Ice Sport. So, how was it?

Timeless. (I know, lame joke.) In all honesty, this was the smoothest shave I've had since starting with DE razors back in November 2019. I've been through well more than a dozen each of razors, blades, and soaps so far, and this was easily the most comfortable combination yet. The razor just glides...there's no other way to put it...and the whole setup just screams quality. I was considering cycling through various soaps and blades this week, but now I think I'll stick with Proraso and Feather and see if every shave feels the same. Three shaves with .68, followed by three with .95, then .68 at the end.

The shave itself felt very mild with almost no blade feel, yet it provided a lot of audible feedback. It 'sings' a lot like my Rocca. I made my usual WGT and XTG passes, no pressure, and no touch-up was needed on my neck. It wasn't *quite* as close as the Charcoal Goods Level 2 open comb I used the day before, but I don't care. It felt way better...luxurious, even. There was zero aftershave feedback at the end and my face still fees great four hours later.

After one shave, this razor has completely erased the so-so experience I had with the Timeless Aluminum and secures its place at the top of my birthday wish list. The next few weeks are going to be a tough wait!

IMG_1443.jpeg

1 @GlazedBoker ( complete)
2 @dmshaver ( complete)
3 @CarlosAT ( complete)
4 @cgr86 ( complete)
5 @NJDJ ( complete)
6 @steelcity2 ( complete)
7 @bobmsp ( complete)
8 @ShavePastor ( complete)
9 @CJB3 ( complete)
10 @PlutoViola ( complete)
11 @Tim Meneely ( complete)
12 @dezmil ( complete)
13 @SolidSnake03 ( complete)
14 @Cut Throat ( complete)
15 @Flintstone65 ( complete)
16 @emwolf ( complete)
17 @jbreakfield ( complete)
18 @Badger in the Sun (complete)
19 @benos (complete)
20 @NicksDad ( in hand)
21 @shotgun233 ( on deck)
22 @pdieten (in the hole)
23 @Sir Lurkalot
24 @Eric49311
25 @Cleanface
26 @gwsmallwood
Looking forward to the rest of your reviews @NicksDad !
Sorry I have not kept up with the list.

Wow these reviews are incredible. I can’t believe I’m getting close to my tryout. Ironically, I have a Tradere on order that should be shipping in June so I’ll have two evaluations to make. Originally I was going to compare the Blackbird. Sounds like a problem you like to have.

Shave #2 - .95 Scalloped

I know I said I'd do three with .68, then three with .95, but I'm a fickle pickle. I couldn't wait to try the .95, so now the plan is to alternate between them every day. I'm still using Proraso Green pre-shave and shaving cream, and the Feather blade got its second use.

In a nutshell, the .95 shaved a little bit closer and felt a little bit more aggressive than the .68. It was still way smoother than anything else I own or have tried, and I was a bit sad that the shave was over so quickly. I know now I'm definitely getting one of my own...probably the .95, but I'll know for sure by the end of the week.

Let me know if you have questions or if there are certain characteristics you want me to look out for.

Shave #3 - .68 Scalloped

Blade:
Feather (third use)
Pre-shave: Proraso Green
Shaving Cream: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

Today I took my time and paid close attention to angle, speed, direction of growth, face feel, sound, etc., and I'm still convinced this is the most comfortable razor I've used so far. It's as mild as my first DE89 and as efficient as my R41 (or so close I can't tell the difference). I walked away with a DFS+ in two passes...my neck did not need a touch-up today...and I got zero burn from the Aqua Velva. I'll give the .95 plate the same attention tomorrow, but at the moment I'm leaning toward buying the .68 plate with mine (at first, at least). That's a weird thing for me to say, given my affection for face-chewing aggressive razors. Who knew?

I'm still on the waiting list for a Wolfman WR2, but I'm starting to wonder if anything else could really out-perform the comfort and efficiency of the Timeless. I'm looking forward to conducting my own shoot-out between them someday.

In other news, I've used the Classic Ice Blue aftershave two days in a row and my wife has told me I smell nice both days. She's never said anything about my $20+ artisan splashes. Maybe I should re-think my software spending.

Shave #3 - .68 Scalloped

Blade:
Feather (third use)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue

Today I took my time and paid close attention to angle, speed, direction of growth, face feel, sound, etc., and I'm still convinced this is the most comfortable razor I've used so far. It's as mild as my first DE89 and as efficient as my R41 (or so close I can't tell the difference). I walked away with a DFS+ in two passes...my neck did not need a touch-up today...and I got zero burn from the Aqua Velva. I'll give the .95 plate the same attention tomorrow, but at the moment I'm leaning toward buying the .68 plate with mine (at first, at least). That's a weird thing for me to say, given my affection for face-chewing aggressive razors. Who knew?

I'm still on the waiting list for a Wolfman WR2, but I'm starting to wonder if anything else could really out-perform the comfort and efficiency of the Timeless. I'm looking forward to conducting my own shoot-out between them someday.

In other news, I've used the Classic Ice Blue aftershave two days in a row and my wife has told me I smell nice both days. She's never said anything about my $20+ artisan splashes. Maybe I should re-think my software spending.
I really appreciate your reviews. I’m starting to wonder if it’s too late for me to sign up for this pass around. I’m gonna have to decide between the .68 and .95 too.

regarding bargain brands, I enjoy some artisan stuff. But, most days give me Proraso and good old aqua velva or old spice!

Shave #2 - .95 Scalloped

I know I said I'd do three with .68, then three with .95, but I'm a fickle pickle. I couldn't wait to try the .95, so now the plan is to alternate between them every day. I'm still using Proraso Green pre-shave and shaving cream, and the Feather blade got its second use.

In a nutshell, the .95 shaved a little bit closer and felt a little bit more aggressive than the .68. It was still way smoother than anything else I own or have tried, and I was a bit sad that the shave was over so quickly. I know now I'm definitely getting one of my own...probably the .95, but I'll know for sure by the end of the week.

Let me know if you have questions or if there are certain characteristics you want me to look out for.

Too bad they just can't make a razor with both blade gaps on the same base plate. 0.68 on one side and 0.95 on the other.

Shave #4 - SHOOT-OUT!

Razor 1:
Timeless .95 Scalloped with Feather blade on 4th use
Razor 2: Stainless Charcoal Goods Level 2 with fresh Feather blade

Aftershave: Proraso Green

Timeless on the right side, CG on the left, WTG and XTG with no touch-ups and minimal buffing.

I found another Feather and was wondering how the Timeless .95 would stack up against the CG. Well, it's been 7 hours since the shave and I still can't tell which side was closer. I can, however, say that the Timeless was about a mile and a quarter smoother. Maybe the fresh blade in the CG was a factor, or maybe it just comes down to geometry, who knows? This isn't a scientific test. I just know these razors are extremely close in performance, but very different in feel.

I'm thinking the next three shaves will be with the .68 since I'm leaning toward that plate for my own Timeless. I believe it shaves just as well as the .95, but is slightly more enjoyable and may suit me better as a daily driver. I honestly wouldn't have guessed I'd be going for a milder feel, but that's what's happening. This experience even has me rethinking the gap I'll choose for my future Wolfman.

Questions and comments are encouraged!

Shave #4 - SHOOT-OUT!

Razor 1:
Timeless .95 Scalloped with Feather blade on 4th use
Razor 2: Stainless Charcoal Goods Level 2 with fresh Feather blade

Aftershave: Proraso Green

Timeless on the right side, CG on the left, WTG and XTG with no touch-ups and minimal buffing.

I found another Feather and was wondering how the Timeless .95 would stack up against the CG. Well, it's been 7 hours since the shave and I still can't tell which side was closer. I can, however, say that the Timeless was about a mile and a quarter smoother. Maybe the fresh blade in the CG was a factor, or maybe it just comes down to geometry, who knows? This isn't a scientific test. I just know these razors are extremely close in performance, but very different in feel.

I'm thinking the next three shaves will be with the .68 since I'm leaning toward that plate for my own Timeless. I believe it shaves just as well as the .95, but is slightly more enjoyable and may suit me better as a daily driver. I honestly wouldn't have guessed I'd be going for a milder feel, but that's what's happening. This experience even has me rethinking the gap I'll choose for my future Wolfman.

Questions and comments are encouraged!
Really helpful review. Keep at it. I'm definitely gonna inquire if I can jump on the pass around list.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So I have been following this pass around and enjoying the reviews and shared experiences immensely. I own a Timeless SS .68 and a Timeless Bronze. They are my favorite 2 razors for good reason. I have been contemplating a .95 base plate.

If this pass around continues is there any chance I could be added to the list?

Regardless, thank you to all participants and P@tsfan6464 for a remarkable thread.

Shave #5 - .68 Scalloped

Blade:
Feather (fifth use)
Pre-shave: None
Shaving Cream: Stirling Executive Man
Aftershave: Stirling Executive Man

Another exceptional performance by the hardware today, but I was less than thrilled with the soap and aftershave. Believe me, I know I'm in the minority when I say it, but I don't find Stirling's scents very pleasing and I could almost swear the soap irritates my skin. (I've had a full tub of Stirling Green for several months, and I'm currently working my way through 12 sample pucks and 4 aftershaves I recently bought from them. I promise, folks, I'm trying.) Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to Seville, PdP 63, or Arko tomorrow. The Timeless has already proven it plays nicely with Proraso.

I haven't said a lot about fit and finish, so here goes:

- The machining is flawless. I can't imagine the head is easy to make given the shape of the lather channel, but they've executed it perfectly. I particularly love that the blade aligns perfectly every single time.

- The TRH1 handle included in the pass-around has the grippiest knurling I've ever felt. The only way this can slip out of your fingers if it takes some of your fingers with it.

- For months I've been wondering if I'd prefer titanium, but now I know I want steel. The weight of this thing is a big component of the overall smoothness, and there's no way I'm messing with that formula when I buy my own.

- It's beautiful. The head shape and proportions are almost identical to my Gillette Slim (even thought the blade geometry is clearly different), and it looks great on loads of different handles.

That's about it for today. Just two more shaves to go!

Shave #6 - .95 Scalloped

Blade:
Astra SP (fresh)
Pre-shave: None
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue Classic

Ahhhhhhh, Arko! What a great soap. It's cheap, it performs, and it smells fresh and clean. Add in a splash or two of Ice Blue Classic afterward and you've got a shave you can be proud of all day!

About the only way to improve on a shave that includes those two products is to use a premium razor like, say, oh, maybe a nice Timeless. :)

It was the .95 plate's turn again this morning, and again it didn't disappoint. I used ZERO pressure with a fresh Astra SP blade, and the same two passes as all the other shaves. I sound like a broken record when I say it was slick and easy. The aftershave gave no feedback.

Tomorrow morning is my last shave with the .68 plate, then it all gets shipped off to @shotgun233. I'm going to miss it. So much so that I just gave my wife the specs for my birthday present. I know I'll eventually end up with multiple plates and handles for it, but my starting kit will be:

- Scalloped Cap
- Open Comb .68 plate
- 85mm H7 Barber Pole Handle
- Stand
- All polished

I've enjoyed this experience immensely, and I can't thank @P@tsfan6484 enough for the chance to try before I buy. I figured it would be good, but I had no idea it would be great. I don't even have my own yet and I'm already thinking about a purge. I really like it.

Final report tomorrow with a fresh Personna Med Prep and full Proraso Red!

What a lovely looking razor!

Is the .68 similar in feel to a Edwin jagger DE89 or a fatip piccolo with closed comb? Or would a .95 timeless be closer to those razors in mildness and smoothness?

What a lovely looking razor!

Is the .68 similar in feel to a Edwin jagger DE89 or a fatip piccolo with closed comb? Or would a .95 timeless be closer to those razors in mildness and smoothness?

I've never used the DE89, but the Fatip with gentile plate is actually kind of a good comp. I do find that Fatip setup surprisingly smooth, but the Timeless 0.68 is even smoother. The only thing I can think of as being as smooth as the Timeless is maybe an Above the Tie Windsor.

FINAL SHAVE - .68 Scalloped

Blade:
Personna Med Prep (fresh)
Pre-shave: Proraso Red
Shaving Cream: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red

Today was my saddest shave with the Timeless because it was my LAST. Now I have to wait three whole stinking weeks for my birthday to get here so I can have my own. (I only wish this could be the worst problem in the world right now.)

Proraso Red days are some of my favorites. I love how that sweet sandalwood scent lingers all day, and I adore the over-acted approving "Mmmmm!" my 7yo daughter gives when she comes in for a hug. It's almost enough to make me use it every day. Maybe I'll use it again tomorrow, now that I think of it. :)

After a week of back-and-forth I can finally confidently say the .68 plate is the one for me. I wish I had another way to describe how smooth this razor is so you wouldn't think I'm just copying and pasting prior reviews. I'm sure the scalloped top cap helps keeps drag down, and so should the scalloped plate. My guess is the OC plate I'm getting will somehow glide even easier, but I can't imagine how. It doesn't really matter at this point. It's already taken the number one spot in my den and I think only my future Wolfman could be a contender (if I order it in the right config).

Shaves with the .68 have been extremely mild and still efficient enough for DFS in two passes. I don't think there's anything left to ask for in a razor. Timeless ticks all the boxes (for me, anyway). I'm probably not ready to sell off all my others yet...I do enjoy variety from time to time...but both my brain and my gut tell me the Timeless easily good enough to be my only razor.

Many thanks (again and again) to @P@tsfan6484 for providing this pass-around. It only cost me about $2 per day to try, and it saved me more than $100 by helping me order the right plate the first time. My wife thanks you, too!

That's it for now. I'll keep following this thread, and I'll post pics of mine when I get it. The pass-around box is already at the post office, bound for @shotgun233. Everything has been cleaned and sterilized...even the parts I didn't use (smooth top cap and solid bar plate), and I've chipped in full tucks of Astra SP, German Wilkinson Sword, and Dorco Prime Platinum blades. I carved out one serving of the soap that was in the box and will be trying it soon. It smelled nice.

Thanks for reading!

Top Bottom