19 @Badger in the Sun
20 @benos
21 @NicksDad
22 @shotgun233
23 @pdieten
24 @Sir Lurkalot
25 @Eric49311
26 @Cleanface
Looking forward to your thoughts and review @dezmil !!

Shave #1

Initial Impressions:
There really isn't a lot to be said here that hasn't already been said in this thread. This Timeless razor is beautifully made. The machining and polish are perfect. The weight and balance feel great in the hand. The knurling on the handle is grippy and comfortable. All in all this is a work of art. For reference, the weight feels very similar to that of my normal daily driver, the Rockwell 6S.

Cap:
Scalloped
Base Plate: 0.68 Scalloped
Blade:
Polsilver SI (1)
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap:
Stirling Green
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Ice Cold Balm

The Shave: I decided to start out with the milder plate and a familiar blade, the Polsilver SI. My most used razor is the Rockwell 6S on plate R4, and this is one of my most used blades. There was maybe a bit more blade feel with the Timeless than what I am used to with the 6S on the R4 plate, but not uncomfortably so. The Timeless was far more efficient with the first pass WTG feeling excellent. I did a second pass XTG and a third clean up pass for a great DFS shave. I did feel slight irritation that I chalk up to user error and just getting familiar with the razor. I often experience this when I try a new razor. It takes a shave or to to settle in. Overall, I am quite impressed with this razor and look forward to trying out other combinations with it.

SOTD-2020-02-21.jpg

Shave #2

Cap:
Smooth
Base Plate: 0.68 Smooth
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
Soap: Palmolive Classic
Aftershave: Alum + Pinaud Clubman

The Shave: I wanted to stick with the milder 0.68 plates, so I went with the smooth cap and plate today. I kept the same Polsiver blade. I did another WTG, XTG, and cleanup shave with nice DFS results. The shave was again quite close, but with a bit of irritation. I did get a fair amount of feedback from the alum block. I'm going to try a different blade tomorrow.

Shave #3

Cap:
Smooth
Base Plate: 0.68 Smooth
Blade: Kai (1)
Brush: Yaqi Silvertip Badger
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Balm

The Shave: Now we're talking. I changed up a few things and got some excellent results. I swapped to a Kai blade, although, I really doubt this was the difference maker. The Polsiver is a pretty good blade for me in every razor I have tried. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but it seems like this razor tends to clear the lather away more than other razors I have used. I am in the (not good) habit of sometimes running a couple of strokes in the same spot during each pass, relying on the residual slickness of the soap. Today I forced myself to not do that. I think this was the biggest difference maker for me. I also went back and read several reviews in this thread where people were recommending a more neutral angle rather than riding the cap. That worked well for me too. The result today was a great shave with no irritation. It took me a few tries, but I'm finally getting along well with this awesome razor.

Shave #4

Cap:
Scalloped
Base Plate: 0.68 Scalloped
Blade: Kai (2)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

The Shave: I went back to a shave similar to #1, but with better results this time. Today's shave was even better than yesterday. WTG, XTG, and very little cleanup. A close DFS and irritation free shave.

Shave #5

Cap:
Scalloped
Base Plate: 0.95 Scalloped
Blade: Kai (3)
Soap: Stirling Green

The Shave: Very nice uneventful shave. WTG, XTG with no cleanup required to get DFS.

Shave #5

Cap:
Scalloped
Blade: Kai (3)
Soap: Stirling Green

The Shave: Very nice uneventful shave. WTG, XTG with no cleanup required to get DFS.
What did you think of the differences in the .68 and .95 since this was your first shave with the .95? Just curious.

Shave #6

Cap:
Smooth
Blade: Kai (4)
Soap: Maggard London Barbershop
Aftershave: Maggard London Barbershop

The Shave: This was another great 2-pass DFS shave, WTG and XTG. After a couple of shaves with the 0.95 plate, I can say that I slightly prefer the 0.68. The differences are not as pronounced as I expected. The 0.68 plate is slightly smoother with less blade feel while being slightly less efficient. Both are comfortable and give great shaves. I just prefer less blade feel.

Shave #7

Cap:
Smooth
Base Plate: 0.95 Scalloped & 0.68 Scalloped
Blade: Rapira Platinum (1)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

The Shave: Today was another two-pass shave. I swapped out the Kai for a Rapira Platinum that was in the pass around box (thanks to whoever added those blades to the box!). I also switched the plates between passes. If I owned this razor, I doubt that this is something I would do regularly, but I still wanted to give it a try. The first pass with the 0.95 plate was comfortable and efficient. Pass two with the 0.68 plate was much smoother, but still with plenty of blade feel. Overall the results were very nice.

Final Thoughts: My seven shaves with this razor were all quite nice, although the first two less so than the later shaves. It took me a couple of outings to get things dialed in. I particularly enjoyed the 0.68 plate. It was only slightly less efficient but with less blade feel as compared to 0.95. I'm really on the fence as to whether or not a Timeless is in my future. It is a beautiful razor that gives nice shaves, but I'm not sure I can justify the price point.

Thank you very much @P@tsfan6484 for your generosity in allowing me to try out this amazing razor. I'll get it packaged and sent off to @SolidSnake03 tomorrow.

All of these reviews are great, and they're making me even more excited about my upcoming turn with it! In fact, I would be extremely grateful if the 7 people ahead of me would limit themselves to one shave each before moving it on along. Thanks!

:001_tt2:

1 @GlazedBoker ( complete)
2 @dmshaver ( complete)
3 @CarlosAT ( complete)
4 @cgr86 ( complete)
5 @NJDJ ( complete)
6 @steelcity2 ( complete)
7 @bobmsp ( complete)
8 @ShavePastor ( complete)
9 @CJB3 ( complete)
10 @PlutoViola ( complete)
11 @Tim Meneely ( complete)
12 @dezmil ( complete)
13 @SolidSnake03 ( in hand)
Starting the reserve list off is
14 @Cut Throat ( on deck)
15 @jbreakfield ( in the hole)
16 @Flintstone65
17 @emwolf
18 @gwsmallwood
19 @Badger in the Sun
20 @benos
21 @NicksDad
22 @shotgun233
23 @pdieten
24 @Sir Lurkalot
25 @Eric49311
26 @Cleanface
Looking forward to your thoughts and reviews @SolidSnake03 !!

FYI guys and gals, I will not be adding any more participants to the list. Thanks

Hey all,

I've received the razor and had my first shave this morning with it using the scalloped top cap and the scalloped .68 plate. Used a tiger blade and the included handle. B&B Anniversary Boar brush and Arko. Use Arko with all new razors or things on testing to establish a good baseline with a pretty standard soap. Shave was excellent smooth, tiny bit of blade feel, and one small spot that felt a little harsh but I may attribute that more to the tiger blade than the razor itself. I will test with other blades and the other plate later on this week. So far the razor is outstanding, and I can attest to other people's love for this handle, the handle really is perfect in every way, grip, weight, balance etc, outstanding.

I may pick up one of these handles regardless of if I would get one of the full razors, it really is a great handle.

Also thank you so much for including the full master kit it's great to be able to try out different options and plates

1 @GlazedBoker ( complete)
2 @dmshaver ( complete)
3 @CarlosAT ( complete)
4 @cgr86 ( complete)
5 @NJDJ ( complete)
6 @steelcity2 ( complete)
7 @bobmsp ( complete)
8 @ShavePastor ( complete)
9 @CJB3 ( complete)
10 @PlutoViola ( complete)
11 @Tim Meneely ( complete)
12 @dezmil ( complete)
13 @SolidSnake03 ( in hand)
Starting the reserve list off is
14 @Cut Throat ( on deck)
15 @Flintstone65 ( in the hole)
16 @emwolf
17 @jbreakfield
18 @gwsmallwood
19 @Badger in the Sun
20 @benos
21 @NicksDad
22 @shotgun233
23 @pdieten
24 @Sir Lurkalot
25 @Eric49311
26 @Cleanface
Hi everyone, Please note that there was a small change in the order of the participants.
Due to work related issues @jbreakfield had to move down a couple spots.
Thanks

Hey all!

Wanted to update back after a few more shaves with the razors. First note, that handle is still outstanding. Also, I prefer the scalloped top cap and recommend it over the flat one for me, it's small but I seem to notice it move a bit better when riding the top cap. It's small but for me it's worth the small extra price plus it looks a bit neater to me.

Onto the plates, used the scalloped and sb .68 for a handful of shaves and really enjoyed both of them. Preferred the scalloped again but really didn't notice too much difference in performance, just liked the look. Very smooth and even shave, easy and a bit mindless. Not to say you couldn't bite yourself with it but under normal use you probably shouldn't :)

The .95 scalloped was the star though for me. Amazingly close shave, one of the closest I've ever had from DE shaving outside of the r41. Haven't used an ikon tech yet so can't comment on that one. Fairly smooth too and skin felt great after. One tiny spot of irritation that was gone after a light alum block swipe on my neck. Probably the smoothest highly efficient razor I've used. Outdoes the Charcoal Goods lvl 2 as well for me, I have fairly thick and tough hair and the blade clamping on the Timeless is the best I've seen. Prevents any chatter even on larger gap sizes.

Really enjoying the .95 as an every other day shaver because I don't need it more than that ;)

Hey all!

Wanted to update back after a few more shaves with the razors. First note, that handle is still outstanding. Also, I prefer the scalloped top cap and recommend it over the flat one for me, it's small but I seem to notice it move a bit better when riding the top cap. It's small but for me it's worth the small extra price plus it looks a bit neater to me.

Onto the plates, used the scalloped and sb .68 for a handful of shaves and really enjoyed both of them. Preferred the scalloped again but really didn't notice too much difference in performance, just liked the look. Very smooth and even shave, easy and a bit mindless. Not to say you couldn't bite yourself with it but under normal use you probably shouldn't :)

The .95 scalloped was the star though for me. Amazingly close shave, one of the closest I've ever had from DE shaving outside of the r41. Haven't used an ikon tech yet so can't comment on that one. Fairly smooth too and skin felt great after. One tiny spot of irritation that was gone after a light alum block swipe on my neck. Probably the smoothest highly efficient razor I've used. Outdoes the Charcoal Goods lvl 2 as well for me, I have fairly thick and tough hair and the blade clamping on the Timeless is the best I've seen. Prevents any chatter even on larger gap sizes.

Really enjoying the .95 as an every other day shaver because I don't need it more than that ;)

Would you mind giving us some thoughts on how it compares to the R41 overall?

Top Bottom