What's new

Timeless .95 ss tour pass-around!!

Hi guys, @jbreakfield has brought to my attention that a couple things may have not made there way back into the box upon shipping. Please let me know if you forgot. We are looking for the paper work and the Timeless polishing towel. Please pm me as I am not concerned for the items but wanted everyone to have the same experience as they would get from Timeless.
Thanks
Denny
I don't remember about paperwork, but I am sure the polishing cloth was not in there when I had it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Today was the .95 scallop plate/cap's turn at bat. The soap was CRS Rose cream, and the brush was the Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf. I put the slightly used Astra blade in (since it did so well with the .68 scallop). The handle is a custom Tibam Titanium "New York" model that is 80mm tall. Not only does that handle look made for this head, it handled (pardon the pun) that way as well. @bigbrucefan is spot-on, the .95 is/was a VERY smooth shaver. I thought for sure the .68 would be an easy choice for me, but today's shave was so smooth (both during the shave and the end-results) that I am now thinking the .95 is the gap for me.

It was a 3-pass shave, and the results were definitely BBS. I feel like the 95 was smoother than the 68 and it was definitely more efficient. My plan was to get one more shave in, and I was thinking of going back to the 68; but now I'm thinking of trying to fit 2 more shaves in before I must bid adieu to this razor, and whatever shaves I can squeeze in will likely belong to the 95.

proxy.php
I have to say, that may be the nicest handle+razor combination I've ever seen. I wish they made it in steel. I've found my sweet spot regarding weight at whatever the Razorock barberpole is (low 70g) -- also a really nice handle. I think this thread has convinced me to get a scalloped top though. It's sexy.

Good morning gentlemen,

I got in 2 more shaves with the kit before packing it up and getting it to the Post Office yesterday. I normally shave every other day, as I usually develop irritation if I try to shave every day.
I changed to a different blade for the last 2 shaves, hoping for a different result. I didn't have anything that I would consider a "smoother" blade in my blade box at the moment, so I went for one of the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless blades that were in the kit. Maybe not the best idea to try a blade I've never used before, but I mostly have Feathers and Kais at the moment, and some other Platinum blades that really don't work for me in any razor I've tried them in.

Shave #3
(Wednesday morning 4/29)

Setup:
Scalloped cap, Scalloped 0.95 Base Plate
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Brush: PC Woodcraft 24mm Silvertip Badger
Bowl: Timeless Shaving Bowl
Pre Shave: Grooming Department
Soap: Grooming Department etereo

I was hoping the third try is the charm, and this shave was slightly better than the first two for me, but only slightly. In the end, I had a decent shave with no weepers, but I still got a lot of burning on my neck and jawline. The after shave balm calmed everything down, but the shave just wasn't comfortable. I REALLY focused on using a light touch, so I don't think I applied too much pressure, but I'm not sure if I had the angle correct the whole time. I think that this shows my inexperience with using a lot of different razors, possibly.

Shave #4
(Saturday morning 5/2)

Setup:
Scalloped cap, Scalloped 0.68 Base Plate
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless
Brush: PC Woodcraft 24mm Silvertip Badger
Bowl: Timeless Shaving Bowl
Pre Shave: Grooming Dept
Cream: TOBS

I knew I only had a short time left with this kit, and I wanted to try the 0.68 base plate before letting it go. I went 3 days until this shave just to be sure my face was calmed down a bit.
This shave was much better for me, and felt a lot smoother. The 0.68 was much more efficient than I would have expected, although I still had to do 3 passes and a good bit of buffing to get to a DFS. Something else I noticed it that the shave lasted longer than I would have expected as well... Saturday night (about 12hrs later), my face wasn't as rough as it normally would be. This is something I've not experienced with other razors, so I don't know what to make of it. All in all, the shave was good, but I wouldn't call it "great", if that makes sense.

Some final thoughts:
I was a bit surprised that the 0.95 base plate gave me so much trouble, considering I use the RazoRock Game Changer 0.84 razor regularly. BUT, after studying the head geometry, there is quite a big difference in the design, so I'm sure it has something to do with that. The 0.68 base plate treated me a bit better, and wasn't nearly as "mild" as what I expected. I'm glad so many others have had great smooth shaves with this razor, but for me it was just "ok". It makes me wonder what the heck I'm doing wrong!? I can count on both hands the number of different razors that I've tried, and the Game Changer is likely largest blade gap that I've used prior to this, so that and my relative inexperience with DE razors in general (a little over a year) could both add to the problem.
On the razor itself, I REALLY like the way that they have designed the washouts! This is the easiest razor to clean while using that I have tried, for sure. This handle knurling is something else as well; it seems like it wants to stick to your fingers while you're using it!
I think with time and practice, I could figure this razor out, but I don't think I'd be willing to spend the $$ to do that.

Which brings me to my many thanks again to @P@tsfan6484 for giving so many of us the opportunity to try out this work of art. The more I think about how generous a pass-around like this is, the more grateful I am to Denny. Thank you sir!!

The Timeless has landed!

I was getting worried because it was originally due to arrive Tuesday. At one point, USPS showed it in Cincinnati, which seems odd since it was traveling from Alabama to Florida. But it showed up a few minutes ago.

I will give it a try later this afternoon and post my first impressions.

Thank you, Jamie, for sending it my way. And thanks for adding the blades. I did not realize that the box contained a Grooming Dept soap to try. A very generous donation!

1 @GlazedBoker ( complete)
2 @dmshaver ( complete)
3 @CarlosAT ( complete)
4 @cgr86 ( complete)
5 @NJDJ ( complete)
6 @steelcity2 ( complete)
7 @bobmsp ( complete)
8 @ShavePastor ( complete)
9 @CJB3 ( complete)
10 @PlutoViola ( complete)
11 @Tim Meneely ( complete)
12 @dezmil ( complete)
13 @SolidSnake03 ( complete)
14 @Cut Throat ( complete)
15 @Flintstone65 ( complete)
16 @emwolf ( complete)
17 @jbreakfield ( complete)
18 @Badger in the Sun ( in hand)
19 @benos ( on deck)
20 @NicksDad ( in the hole)
21 @shotgun233
22 @pdieten
23 @Sir Lurkalot
24 @Eric49311
25 @Cleanface
26 @gwsmallwood
Looking forward to your reviews!! @Badger in the Sun

First impressions...

The fit and finish is impeccable, as so many others have mentioned. It looks and feels like a high-end precision instrument. Actually, it is stunning to look at.

The Timeless is far heavier than what I'm used to. My daily shaver is a Gillette RFB. It's less than half the weight of the Timeless, which was 117 g on my scale. And the head is much bigger.

For the first shave, I used the .68 solid bar plate with the smooth cap. I popped a Rapira Platinum blade with two previous shaves into it and lathered up some Wholly Kaw Pompelmo soap using a Motherlode synthetic brush. When loading the shaver, the blade aligns perfectly without fiddling.

I did two passes with touch ups. The shave was excellent. Super smooth and comfortable. Very little blade feel.

I did find the weight cumbersome, as I expected. Maybe I would get used to it over time. Surprisingly, the bigger head wasn't an issue. I could easily shave under my nose and other tight places.

I had not even a hint of a weeper or nick. No irritation. I don't use any post-shave products and my face felt good afterward.

The shave was close except for my neck. That's my most sensitive area and I was using a light touch since it was my first time with this shaver. Next time I'll use a bit more pressure.

The question we all ask ourselves in these pass arounds is this: "Would I buy this product?" After one shave, the answer is "Hell, yes." But I think the lighter titanium might be more my speed.

Looking forward to trying the other cap and bases. Thank you to P@tsfan6484 for the opportunity to try this fine shaver!

Last edited:

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
First impressions...

The fit and finish is impeccable, as so many others have mentioned. It looks and feels like a high-end precision instrument. Actually, it is stunning to look at.

The Timeless is far heavier than what I'm used to. My daily shaver is a Gillette RFB. It's less than half the weight of the Timeless, which was 117 g on my scale. And the head is much bigger.

For the first shave, I used the .68 solid bar plate with the smooth cap. I popped a Rapira Platinum blade with two previous shaves into it and lathered up some Wholly Kaw Pompelmo soap using a Motherlode synthetic brush. When loading the shaver, the blade aligns perfectly without fiddling.

I did two passes with touch ups. The shave was excellent. Super smooth and comfortable. Very little blade feel.

I did find the weight cumbersome, as I expected. Maybe I would get used to it over time. Surprisingly, the bigger head wasn't an issue. I could easily shave under my nose and other tight places.

I had not even a hint of a weeper or nick. No irritation. I don't use any post-shave products and my face felt good afterward.

The shave was close except for my neck. That's my most sensitive area and I was using a light touch since it was my first time with this shaver. Next time I'll use a bit more pressure.

The question we all ask ourselves in these pass arounds is this: "Would I buy this product?" After one shave, the answer is "Hell, yes." But I think the lighter titanium might be more my speed.

Looking forward to trying the other cap and bases. Thank you to P@tsfan6484 for the opportunity to try this fine shaver!
Thanks for sharing your experience with the razor. I have a SS 0.95 SB. It’s odd, but I like the weight of the razor.

I first used a heavier razor when I picked up a Rockwell 6S (118g vs 112g for the Timeless I have), and while I didn’t really like the razor, it did introduce me to hefty razors. No need to push or use much pressure while shaving, but sometimes the weight of the razor is enough to cause small bleeders :(

Still, after a decade of using a standard lighter razor, I find myself smitten with the heavier ones (90g+). Looking it up online, my last razor weighed half that of the Timeless!

First impressions...

i find the titanium handle slippery when wet. a razotrock barber pole is perfect for me.

For shave #2, I used the .68 scalloped plate with the scalloped cap. The suds were supplied by Grooming Dept Valencia. Used the same the Rapira blade as yesterday's shave. Did my usual two passes with touch ups.

I found the scalloped set-up extremely similar to the solid bar-smooth cap combo. It gave me a smooth, comfortable shave with very little blade feel. Even though I felt I applied more pressure than yesterday's shave, I did not have any weepers or irritation. Again, I felt the shave was really close except for my neck, which is my problem area.

I do find the weight of this razor unwieldy. It just doesn't feel as nimble in my hands as my daily shaver, a Gillette RFB from a #77 set. But that is pretty much what I expected. I would probably adapt with more shaves.

I feel the .68--solid or scalloped--is smoother but perhaps slightly less efficient than my RFB. I'm really liking it.

On to the .95!

I am surprised how hard it is to nick yourself with the Timeless. With my RFB, I'll get a weeper now and then when I'm not careful. But after three shaves, I've yet to draw blood with the Timeless. Not even a little.

The .95 plate definitely has more blade feel than the .68. Although the .95 was not as smooth, it is not anywhere close to being uncomfortable. There was zero tug even though I could feel the cutting happening.

As you might expect with the larger blade gap, the efficiency is greater. I got a very close shave with two passes. I felt my face after one pass and it actually seemed like I could have stopped there. Even my neck, which I normally can't shave clean, was quite nearly smooth.

As with the shaves I got from the .68, I felt no irritation afterward. At this point, I prefer the .95 plate. It's delivers a remarkable shave.

On another topic... For tonight's shave, I used a sliver of the Grooming Dept Tentazione that is included in the box. What a great soap! The performance and scent are top of the line for me. I know the Lusso base in this soap is discontinued, but I hope Mo reintroduces the scent. It smells like green apples with some underlying floral and musky notes that work together harmoniously. Very nice.

For my last shave, I went back to the .68 scalloped plate one last time. Again I found it incredibly smooth and comfortable. But it didn't shave as close as I like with my usual two passes. That's why I prefer the .95. It sacrifices just a little comfort and adds a bit more blade feel in exchange for more closeness.

In the five shaves I did with the various configurations I never once nicked myself or had even a tiny weeper. That's amazing for me.

However, I never really did get used the weight of the razor. It just didn't seem nimble enough. So that means I now want the titanium version of the .95. Luckily, I have a birthday coming up! The big question is which .95 plate? The solid bar, scalloped, or open comb?

The razor has been sanitized, packed, and is due to be shipped tomorrow to @benos .

Thank you @P@tsfan6484 for making this excellent pass around possible!

OK, the Timeless is in my possession. I will make this a pretty short stay, probably only 3-4 days. I actually got a Timeless SS off BST a little while after I'd signed up for the pass-around, but it's the 0.95 open comb, and I've wanted to see how the 0.95 scalloped plate compared to it. I shaved with my OC three times this past week with a fresh Astra SP to prepare, and I will be doing the same with the scalloped. Probably gonna be using some of the same soaps/creams I used as well to make the comparison as direct as possible. I'll let you know how it all goes, of course! Thanks @P@tsfan6484 for letting me in on this, much appreciated!

OK, the Timeless is in my possession. I will make this a pretty short stay, probably only 3-4 days. I actually got a Timeless SS off BST a little while after I'd signed up for the pass-around, but it's the 0.95 open comb, and I've wanted to see how the 0.95 scalloped plate compared to it. I shaved with my OC three times this past week with a fresh Astra SP to prepare, and I will be doing the same with the scalloped. Probably gonna be using some of the same soaps/creams I used as well to make the comparison as direct as possible. I'll let you know how it all goes, of course! Thanks @P@tsfan6484 for letting me in on this, much appreciated!

I’ve been tempted to buy one a few times, but knew I’d have a better chance nailing down what I want if I could just be patient and wait my turn. Looking forward to your results, as I’ve been eyeing the open comb .95.

First use with the 0.95 scalloped plate today. Whipped up a nice lather from Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber with my Grizzly Bay HMW. I found the scalloped plate to shave more or less the same as my 0.95 open comb. Similarly excellent shave, letting the weight of the razor do the work. Nice and close but also incredibly comfortable. My face feels great. I do want to apologize to anyone after me anxiously awaiting using it. I wouldn't blame someone that has never used a Timeless before for being a little miffed that I'm delaying them from trying it just so I can compare the scalloped plate to the OC. I promise I won't have it too long!

Top Bottom