20 @benos
21 @NicksDad
22 @shotgun233
23 @pdieten
24 @Sir Lurkalot
25 @Eric49311
26 @Cleanface
Welcome aboard @Cleanface !!

Well, USPS had said I'd have the razor today, but now they're saying it's in Kansas City. (I'm in Pittsburgh).

Queue Mr. Rogers and "I know it's hard when you're waiting."

Tim

I just went through a similar case. I’m in SoCal. Bought something from Connecticut. Went to Los Angeles. Sat there for eight days then turned up in Springfield Massachusetts, then to Jersey city, then back to Springfield then to LA. Finally received 21 days later. Don’t hold your breath

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I had my last shave with the Timeless this morning - a very comfortable and very close single pass XTG. I used the .95 scalloped and a Bic blade, Dolomitti soap again. Last week I did try the .68 SB which was crazy smooth and surprisingly efficient, but for a reason that is unknown to me I enjoyed the .95 more. Both were great.

On Friday I tried using a feather blade with the .95. Feathers have been a favorite of mine since my first DE shave - but I will never put one in a timeless again. It tore me up badly. I am still feeling the effects of it today. Because of the irritation I got from that combo I was nervous about using the .95 again this morning- but my fears were unfounded. With a Bic I was once again treated to a fantastic shave.

Shaving with carts is a dismal sort of torture for me, so I grew a full beard for 10 years. I started DE shaving a year and a half ago to see if it was a better solution, and it was so much better that I instantly enjoyed it. Using the Timeless has been the same sort of monumental improvement. I am quite certain I will be getting one, but depending on the day I keep going back and forth between SS and Ti, scalloped or SB. In either configuration I will be getting the .95. I expect it will be my daily driver (as long as I don't put a feather in it!).

Tonight I will clean and pack up the set and it should be on its way either tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you again for the chance to try this out!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Nice review , nicely done :)

Got the Timeless, safe and sound today! Actually the bottom of blue box is a bit smooshed; I'm not sure when that happened - but the razor parts are clean and gorgeous.

Tomorrow I'll use the smooth cap and 0.95mm base plate with a Rapira Platinum Lux and Grooming Dept Lusso base - my favorite blade and soap.

For context: I currently use a Game Changer 0.84 SB daily, mostly with Rapira PL blades, and I think I might have found my forever combination there - but I'm interested to know if there's something better, and this pass-around is a wonderful opportunity to try. (Also, my wife says I'm hard to shop for, and she would like to be able to wipe out a year's Christmas / birthday / Father's day gifts in one swoop - so she's on deck to order a Timeless if I'm ready).

Thanks, @PlutoViola and especially @P@tsfan6484 ! This is incredibly generous.

Tim

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
For context: I currently use a Game Changer 0.84 SB daily, mostly with Rapira PL blades, and I think I might have found my forever combination there - but I'm interested to know if there's something better, and this pass-around is a wonderful opportunity to try.
As someone who also has great affection for the GC .84 SB, I am eager to hear how the Timeless works for you.

1 @GlazedBoker ( complete)
2 @dmshaver ( complete)
3 @CarlosAT ( complete)
4 @cgr86 ( complete)
5 @NJDJ ( complete)
6 @steelcity2 ( complete)
7 @bobmsp ( complete)
8 @ShavePastor ( complete)
9 @CJB3 ( complete)
10 @PlutoViola ( complete)
11 @Tim Meneely ( in hand)
12 @dezmil ( on deck)
13 @SolidSnake03 ( in the hole)
Starting the reserve list off is
14 @Cut Throat
15 @jbreakfield
16 @Flintstone65
17 @emwolf
18 @gwsmallwood
19 @Badger in the Sun
20 @benos
21 @NicksDad
22 @shotgun233
23 @pdieten
24 @Sir Lurkalot
25 @Eric49311
26 @Cleanface
Looking forward to your thoughts @Tim Meneely !!

Looking forward to reaching the 50-75 posts point in hopes of getting involved in a pass-around or two. Thanks to the folks willing to initiate them...

Great shave this morning! I used the smooth cap and the 0.95mm gap baseplate.

First, a trivial comment. (I'm trying hard to find something new to say). My daily shaver is a Game Changer 0.84, and folks sometimes comment that blade loading is odd on the GC. Well, loading a blade on the Timeless is simplicity itself: Inside the cap there are two tall alignment pins, so one drops the blade there, assembles, and it's done, perfectly. I don't mind the GC system, but if I did, this would be better.

I'd say my beard is medium, and my skin dry but not particularly sensitive. I gave up chasing BBS a while ago - it's gone in a few hours anyway - and now my standard is one pass WTG, a second pass ATG, and then a quick inspection for any spots I missed. My almost-62yo chin is a bit craggy, so I have to take care there, but I rarely bleed. I shave daily, before I shower, and if I'm a fanatic about anything it's about getting my beard moist: I wet my face with my hands, then use Mike's Natural Soap for a good scrub (I tried it once and it became a habit), rinse thoroughly, apply Grooming Dept preshave, and then face lather. That's what I did this morning and what I'll do all week (all year, all decade...)

I had no trouble finding a good angle with the Timeless, and it seemed notably smoother than the GC; I think the blade clamping on the Timeless is better. Audio feedback was excellent. For some reason my face and lather seemed much drier than normal, and I kept adding water until I had a dripping mess. (The GD Lusso base loves water and is still fantastic under those conditions). I'll be watching tomorrow to see if that "dry" feeling is a function of the razor, or if I just goofed up my lather.

The shave was fast and seemed excellent, and for the first hour or two I thought I'd gotten something closer than the GC - but by noon my beard was pretty much on its normal course. Again, something I'll watch tomorrow.

I've shaved with a Rockwell 6S, various versions of the GC, and a couple other razors along the way. One thing I like about the GC is the sports car maneuverability; that's what drew me from the Rockwell to the GC. Looking at the Timeless, I expected it to handle like the Rockwell, but I'd have to say it was as maneuverable as the GC. Impressive.

Day 1 summary: The Timeless looks fantastic and shaves very well. Almost undoubtedly a little better for me than the GC84. Enough better to switch? I'm not there yet, but I can see it from here.

Tim

Shave-053816.jpg

Tim, Excellent review.
The Timeless head looks a little bigger than the CG but like you said seems to handle very similar.
Looking forward to your second shave thoughts.

My apologies; my week got busy and there didn't seem to be time to think through a post, so I need to catch up now.

First, a second desperate attempt to find something that hasn't already been said: The inkwell stand. Again the context: For my GC, I made a pseudo-inkwell stand out of a piece of scrap 8/4 cherry, with the right size hole and an oil finish. I expected it to get grody from soap residue, but it really hasn't. I like it.

I like the look of the stainless steel Timeless stand, too. What I don't like is the metal-to-metal part: The handle of the razor (which is wonderfully grippy) is a lot like a rat-tail file, and regardless of how careful I am I feel like I'm filing the hole in that stand bigger every time I take the razor out. The engineer in me would like to see the situation inverted: For the stand to have a conical spike that fit into a socket in the handle of the razor, something like that. Anyway, that little "rasp" feeling probably won't bother any normal person, and at this rate it will probably take a thousand years to actually file away measurable metal anywhere, but it sets my teeth on edge, just a little.

Back to the shaves. Shaves 2 and 3 were the same configuration as Shave 1, with me figuring I was getting to know the razor. They were very, very good - close without a hint of irritation.

Today (Shave 4) I felt I needed to change something up, but wasn't sure what. I decided to change soap: The GD Lusso base is pretty cushion-y. I tried the GD Fortis base, which is still an excellent soap, but a little thinner, with a little less cushion.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Today was the best shave I've ever had, and it was just two passes. Whiskers in my laugh lines, which usually I'm cleaning up after two passes, disappeared in the first WTG pass. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I even did during the second (ATG) pass; pretty much everything was gone after one.

Now, there could be a couple things happening other than the soap: I'm getting dialed in to the Timeless, and I've found Shave 4 on a Rapira Platinum Lux blade to be its best shave with the GC, too. There may also be a cumulative effect, in that yesterday's shave influenced today's.

But whatever: I was stunned. Now, at 10 pm, my beard feels about what it normally would mid-afternoon.

Lovely, lovely shaver. Tomorrow I think I'll try the scalloped cap, just for variety; I can't imagine that's what I'd want, but @P@tsfan6484 was kind enough to send the whole kit, so I want to give it a try.

Oh, also: I'm not sure why, but I'd always thought, if I ever bought a Timeless (or encouraged my wife to buy me one), I'd buy titanium. Now I'm not so sure; I really like the weight and handling of this stainless steel one.

It's going to be interesting to switch back to the GC.

Tim

My apologies; my week got busy and there didn't seem to be time to think through a post, so I need to catch up now.

First, a second desperate attempt to find something that hasn't already been said: The inkwell stand. Again the context: For my GC, I made a pseudo-inkwell stand out of a piece of scrap 8/4 cherry, with the right size hole and an oil finish. I expected it to get grody from soap residue, but it really hasn't. I like it.

I like the look of the stainless steel Timeless stand, too. What I don't like is the metal-to-metal part: The handle of the razor (which is wonderfully grippy) is a lot like a rat-tail file, and regardless of how careful I am I feel like I'm filing the hole in that stand bigger every time I take the razor out. The engineer in me would like to see the situation inverted: For the stand to have a conical spike that fit into a socket in the handle of the razor, something like that. Anyway, that little "rasp" feeling probably won't bother any normal person, and at this rate it will probably take a thousand years to actually file away measurable metal anywhere, but it sets my teeth on edge, just a little.

Back to the shaves. Shaves 2 and 3 were the same configuration as Shave 1, with me figuring I was getting to know the razor. They were very, very good - close without a hint of irritation.

Today (Shave 4) I felt I needed to change something up, but wasn't sure what. I decided to change soap: The GD Lusso base is pretty cushion-y. I tried the GD Fortis base, which is still an excellent soap, but a little thinner, with a little less cushion.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Today was the best shave I've ever had, and it was just two passes. Whiskers in my laugh lines, which usually I'm cleaning up after two passes, disappeared in the first WTG pass. Frankly, I'm not sure how much I even did during the second (ATG) pass; pretty much everything was gone after one.

Now, there could be a couple things happening other than the soap: I'm getting dialed in to the Timeless, and I've found Shave 4 on a Rapira Platinum Lux blade to be its best shave with the GC, too. There may also be a cumulative effect, in that yesterday's shave influenced today's.

But whatever: I was stunned. Now, at 10 pm, my beard feels about what it normally would mid-afternoon.

Lovely, lovely shaver. Tomorrow I think I'll try the scalloped cap, just for variety; I can't imagine that's what I'd want, but @P@tsfan6484 was kind enough to send the whole kit, so I want to give it a try.

Oh, also: I'm not sure why, but I'd always thought, if I ever bought a Timeless (or encouraged my wife to buy me one), I'd buy titanium. Now I'm not so sure; I really like the weight and handling of this stainless steel one.

It's going to be interesting to switch back to the GC.

Tim
Tim,
Excellent review's. Fyi. The stand that was sent with the kit is for a 14mm Barberpole handle. I do not have a stand for the 12mm knurled handle. That may be why you don't like the setup.

Fyi. The stand that was sent with the kit is for a 14mm Barberpole handle. I do not have a stand for the 12mm knurled handle. That may be why you don't like the setup.

Ah, that might indeed have something to do with it! Okay, I'll withhold judgement on the inkwell stand. It is a beautiful piece of machining - like everything about this razor.

Thanks,
Tim

I just don't know what to say anymore. What a great razor!

Yesterday I used the scalloped cap and that same RPL blade; today I switched to a Polsilver blade. Whatever I do, this thing is giving me great, comfortable, long-lasting shaves.

It's with considerable reluctance that I'm preparing the Timeless for shipment to @dezmil ; there are so many shaves in front of me, so much I could try... I hate to see it go.

Thanks again, @P@tsfan6484 ! What a generous offer this was, and I've learned a lot - enough to have a gradually increasing case of RAD (or maybe it's more specific: TRAD).

Thanks,
Tim

I just don't know what to say anymore. What a great razor!

Yesterday I used the scalloped cap and that same RPL blade; today I switched to a Polsilver blade. Whatever I do, this thing is giving me great, comfortable, long-lasting shaves.

It's with considerable reluctance that I'm preparing the Timeless for shipment to @dezmil ; there are so many shaves in front of me, so much I could try... I hate to see it go.

Thanks again, @P@tsfan6484 ! What a generous offer this was, and I've learned a lot - enough to have a gradually increasing case of RAD (or maybe it's more specific: TRAD).

Thanks,
Tim

I am glad to help you spend some of your $$. LOL

For all who have tried it so far, can you tell any difference between the scalloped and smooth caps during shaves?
I personally do not. I find the biggest difference for me is with the matte finish compared with the polished finish. For whatever reason the matte tends to stick as the polished seems to glide a little better. 0 difference in the shave quality, though.

I personally do not. I find the biggest difference for me is with the matte finish compared with the polished finish. For whatever reason the matte tends to stick as the polished seems to glide a little better. 0 difference in the shave quality, though.

Thanks. I've had my eye on a config I think I'll like, which means it's now time to start second-guessing every choice for the next few months just to drive myself crazy. :)

Top Bottom