What's new

Timeless 0.68 OC vs SB

For those whove used both base plates, have you noticed a difference between smoothness, efficiency or anything between these 2 base plates? I shave every other day if that matters

- Fayiz D.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The .68 oc is one of the smoothest that I have I also have the .68 sb and it is a fine razor, just something about the way Timeless makes their Open comb that works better for me. The titanium is the one that I use the most , especially if I skip a day .
PXL_20210116_123223919~2.jpg

The .68 oc is one of the smoothest that I have I also have the .68 sb and it is a fine razor, just something about the way Timeless makes their Open comb that works better for me. The titanium is the one that I use the most , especially if I skip a day .View attachment 1249819
I'm a daily shaver, the .68 OC was as smooth as the SB for me but the OC takes down more beard with the first pass. The Timeless Ti OC .68 is one of my regular daily drivers.
Damn looks like I should have gotten the oc then. Thanks fellas

- Fayiz D.

M

member 119848

A few years ago I had these two plates.
From my memory the OC makes the blade feel closer to the skin, while the SB feels smoother.
They are noticeably different but still fairly similar. I didn´t notice that the OC is more efficient, although some users do.

And if you shave every other day, the SB and the OC would just do the job just as good. (in my opinion)

I'm an every other day shaver and use a Ti95DC OC/SB and can definitively say the OC side is more efficient but at the cost of smoothness... I use the OC for the 1st pass WTG / XTG N to S and then the SB for the 2nd pass ATG / XTG S to N. This combo is what has worked best for more than a year now. The only time I ever use the OC for both passes would be if I had 4+ days growth!!

@Adjustingtolife
If I were to make a suggestion to anyone it would be to go with the DC option from Timeless as you would have effectively, 2 razors in 1, and be set for almost any situation!! You could replace your SB plate and sell it off on the BST to recoup at least 1/2 the cost of the DC plate. That is what I've done in the past with my extra base plates. They sell relatively fast in the BST...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Damn looks like I should have gotten the oc then. Thanks fellas

- Fayiz D.
Not necessarily. Well I love the 68 oc for everyday or even if I skip a day or two. Timeless has a great return policy if the sb doesn’t float your boat. The other answer is to buy an oc plate off the returned section.

Not necessarily. Well I love the 68 oc for everyday or even if I skip a day or two. Timeless has a great return policy if the sb doesn’t float your boat. The other answer is to buy an oc plate off the returned section.
I purchased it from the returned section. I do love my SB and don't regret it whatsoever. I'll pick up the OC down the line

- Fayiz D.

I can shave with Gillette adjustables at about a 5 maybe, though I usually go less to have a more comfortable shave.

I enjoy my shaves with the Karve razor from the mildest AA all the way up to d.

With a rockwell, the four was fairly doable, but again I would gravitate toward the two or three for the sake of more comfort.

All that to give you a perspective perhaps on the aggression settings that I normally like. Because after all, your question greatly depends on whether all of the people who answer you like aggressive razors or smooth ones.

For me there was a huge and noticeable and horrible difference between the 68 solid bar and the 68 open comb.

For me, The 68 solid bar is wonderfully smooth with just a little bit of blade feel and I could easily use it every single day with great delight. Plus, I got wonderfully close shaves.

But when I tried the 68 open comb, it was absolutely horribly aggressive and I could not finish the shave. It's even too aggressive for me to use it sparingly on days when maybe I have multiple days of growth to shave off.

Maybe riding the cap becomes more necessary with this kind of head, but I don't want to have to do that when there are tons of other razors that don't require it.

I finally found some uses for it when I had a Nacet razor blade that was very high in uses and had become so smoothed out that I was finally able to enjoy the 68 open comb head. I think maybe 150 uses all the way up to maybe 200 is where the OC worked for me.

So, as you can see from all of the other people replying, it really depends on which kind of skin you have and how you shave and all those other things that determine what kind of razors you find aggressive. Clearly, some guys really find this open comb enjoyable. But if your skin, and other variables, is/are like mine, you'll be very glad you did not purchase the open comb first.

(Sent from mobile)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I shaved with the scalloped Ti68 for a couple of years before switching to the Ti68OC... 🤔 I notice it does not leave rotation. It's just a bit more efficient than the scalloped.

Also have Ti95 and really need to trade or sell it for Ti95SB. The 95OC is just a bit much.

AA

Stainless here, bar, scalloped, and open. Smooth and scalloped caps. Great tool, depends on your mood. I'll admit; the OC was the first time I'd felt 'the cold steel of the blade' on my face. Damn, interesting experience. Didn't believe it was a thing until then. Oh, and if you're on the fence, the 95 can be had as a half and half. Nice shaves too.

I have a Timeless Ti .95 and both the OC and SB plate. It's only a matter of how many days between a shaves to determine which I use. 3+ days and it's the OC... it relentlessly mows down the hair. if I am shaving only 1 or 2 days later I use the SB. In both cases the shave is phenomenal and I just use the SB on more frequent shaves to cut down on any irritation that using an OC that often might cause. BTW... if you're really torn they have a custom dual comb you can get that has both.

I

Island

For me, the solid bar is very smooth and comfortable. The .95 is almost as smooth as the .68 but leaves me feeling a little irritated afterwards if used daily. The .68 open comb is not smooth at all but a bit more efficient. It is my least favorite configuration, though I haven't tried a scalloped plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom