What's new

Time to Embrace my Masculinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry you may be misguided on things.

NOTHING beats the water and lather retention of a BADGER brush. The softness is so wonderful its like rubbing your face on a 2 week old kittens tummy. LUXURY at its finest.

Like the best barbeque in the world followed by a bit of 40 year old johnny walker black label. Its perfection.

How much leather products do you own?

Again I say, to each his own. I do not care for the residual smell of a badger brush so I use synthetic. I was not telling anyone not to use it or wringing my hands in dismay at the plight of badgers. Again I would not use a product of an animal harvested solely for its pelt. That again is a personal decision and ok do not judge those who do.

As for leather, I don't think I have anything that is genuine leather, but this is not because I object to leather, but because leather is a bit pricy and I'm a bit of a cheapskate.

When I was in the Navy I purchased a kangaroo skin walletb on shore leave in Australia. That was the best damn wallet I ever owned lasting 30 years before I had to give it up.

But with kangaroos and cattle they are indeed used for other purposes, and if you are going to eat meat, you might as well use as much of the product as possible. Someone suggested that where they produce the badger brushes they do consume badger meat, and so that ends that objection.

That just leaves need with the animal bristle brushes leave an unpleasant odor and that they are a bit pricy.

Although someone gifted me a badger brush and I'm currently using it.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Again I say, to each his own. I do not care for the residual smell of a badger brush so I use synthetic. I was not telling anyone not to use it or wringing my hands in dismay at the plight of badgers. Again I would not use a product of an animal harvested solely for its pelt. That again is a personal decision and ok do not judge those who do.

As for leather, I don't think I have anything that is genuine leather, but this is not because I object to leather, but because leather is a bit pricy and I'm a bit of a cheapskate.

When I was in the Navy I purchased a kangaroo skin walletb on shore leave in Australia. That was the best damn wallet I ever owned lasting 30 years before I had to give it up.

But with kangaroos and cattle they are indeed used for other purposes, and if you are going to eat meat, you might as well use as much of the product as possible. Someone suggested that where they produce the badger brushes they do consume badger meat, and so that ends that objection.

That just leaves need with the animal bristle brushes leave an unpleasant odor and that they are a bit pricy.

Although someone gifted me a badger brush and I'm currently using it.

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk
hmmm I see the issue as ..

if I need to buy my own badger, I wont because its smelly.

But if it is gifted to me, I have no issues using it whatsoever and any shortcomings caused by smell are easily dealt with by the fact it wasn't paid for with my money

Sorry you may be misguided on things.

NOTHING beats the water and lather retention of a BADGER brush. The softness is so wonderful its like rubbing your face on a 2 week old kittens tummy. LUXURY at its finest.

Like the best barbeque in the world followed by a bit of 40 year old johnny walker black label. Its perfection.

How much leather products do you own?

Unless you get a high-end badger brush that could set you back a great deal in terms of dollars, they aren't soft and luxurious, in fact they are one of the prickliest shaving brushes around. Synthetics feel alot softer, typically. New ones like the Plissoft are as soft as makeup brushes, and lather much faster than any natural hair brush.

Even cheap synthetics are perfectly OK for lathering shave cream. I use a wood handle synthetic I got off eBay for 6 bucks all the time. It's not the densest brush but it works better than most of my badgers and boar hairs.

Unless you get a high-end badger brush that could set you back a great deal in terms of dollars, they aren't soft and luxurious, in fact they are one of the prickliest shaving brushes around. Synthetics feel alot softer, typically. New ones like the Plissoft are as soft as makeup brushes, and lather much faster than any natural hair brush.

Even cheap synthetics are perfectly OK for lathering shave cream. I use a wood handle synthetic I got off eBay for 6 bucks all the time. It's not the densest brush but it works better than most of my badgers and boar hairs.
I face lather with my omega silver tip. That thing is kitten tummy soft. Its soft and luxurious.

IVe tried the plastic brushes, they suck

And if badger was so horrid and prickly to use, why is the most common material for fancy makeup brushes BADGER.

Welcome to B&B, @Terp, @camoloc, and @lev36!! Awesome to have you here!!

After you've come to grips with your toxic masculinity, I invited you to the real essence of wet shaving - acquisition disorders (many of us have them, and the only cure is more)! They're no so bad once you've embraced them - SAD=Soap/Cream/OtherSoftware Acquisition Disorder, BAD=Blade/Bowl/Brush AD, RAD=Razor AD, AFAD=AfterShave/Cologne AD, AAD=Acronym AD - so feel free to choose any combination!!

I bought $9.99 synthetic like two months ago just to try it out. I haven’t used any of my other brushes since.

I wash my face in the shower now though, I didn’t before because badger tends to scrub it pretty good.

After you've come to grips with your toxic masculinity, I invited you to the real essence of wet shaving - acquisition disorders (many of us have them, and the only cure is more)!

I swear I was up until 6am this morning pouring over @Marco 's reviews of new soaps coming out of Italy (while enjoying adult beverages well into the night); I woke up a little poorer, and a little hungover, but I have another HUGE order of paraphernalia en route and looking forward to the next shave already. :)

(I also woke up to a package at the door from Amazon with my new $17 Jagger DE89 inside, too). lol

I am fighting the urge to go shave now, as I have a light burn still from all the passes I took the other day when I discovered the heavenly joy of amazingly hot lather in the scuttle.

For me, though only a week into this, I am already longing for more bushes, soaps, and creams to take for a test-drive. I think I may suffer from the disorder already, sir. I have more brushes already than days of experience wet-shaving!!! :blushing::eek2::blushing:

SOTD.jpg

PS: @Marco, I plan to try all six of your top three soaps, too! lol :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I swear I was up until 6am this morning pouring over @Marco 's reviews of new soaps coming out of Italy (while enjoying adult beverages well into the night); I woke up a little poorer, and a little hungover, but I have another HUGE order of paraphernalia en route and looking forward to the next shave already. :)

(I also woke up to a package at the door from Amazon with my new $17 Jagger DE89 inside, too). lol

I am fighting the urge to go shave now, as I have a light burn still from all the passes I took the other day when I discovered the heavenly joy of amazingly hot lather in the scuttle.

For me, though only a week into this, I am already longing for more bushes, soaps, and creams to take for a test-drive. I think I may suffer from the disorder already, sir. I have more brushes already than days of experience wet-shaving!!! :blushing::eek2::blushing:

View attachment 1049808

;)

View attachment 1049808

Beautiful setup and wonderful classic scuttle!! Although I'm not an expert, you clearly are showing excellent signs of Acquisition Disorders!! You're doing well!!

PS. nice picture (we love pics!!) and really like the black and white, giving a nostalgic feel.

I must have missed something, what did Gillette do?
Putting a Feather in that bad boy is, indeed, manly, I would say! I'd wait until you have your technique down before attempting such a masculine act. :biggrin1:
Yeah, Feathers are no joke. I think the skin under my chin is still growing back from the feathers I used a few months ago. I think I've only tried three razor brands initially - Feather, Merkur and Personna Blue. I quickly found Personna to be my Goldilocks blade, and bonus - they're made in America. Feathers are great, but they can make a moderately mild razor aggressive.

But DE razors are only half as masculine as straight razors. Holding an unguarded blade against your throat every morning is invigorating and testosterone boosting*.

*This statement has not been verified by a medical professional.

But DE razors are only half as masculine as straight razors. Holding an unguarded blade against your throat every morning is invigorating and testosterone boosting*.

*This statement has not been verified by a medical professional.

If Political Correctness hadn't gone out with the 2010s, I'd be upset by this. Now, I'll just say you are a schmuck. :) (Inside joke)

They ran an ad about a year ago that caused a bit of a ruckus.

It’s easy enough to find online, if you wanted to see for yourself.
Oh, I may have seen news on it back then. The blessing and curse of being where I am right now is I don't get normal ads (AFN anyone?). Not worth the bandwidth when I struggle to stream useful videos like how to strop.

I'm now to the point where I had to Google whether or not shave soap 'expires.' I am only a little more than a month in, but I am already starting to favor soaps (and, in turn, boar brushes).

I received a 2-fer in the mail yesterday (and a box of 10 soap samples is en route). :)

IMG_8671.jpg

Welcome to the disorder @Terp you remind me of myself who started this time last year. I now have a fridge full of vacuum sealed artisan soaps and a slew of razors I have yet to try and about twelve or fourteen brushes with a few handles that still need knots LOL.

I have not stopped purchasing shaving supplies except for the occasional custom brush, and I am focusing on actually using my gear now.

Welcome to the disorder @Terp you remind me of myself who started this time last year. I now have a fridge full of vacuum sealed artisan soaps and a slew of razors I have yet to try and about twelve or fourteen brushes with a few handles that still need knots LOL.

I have not stopped purchasing shaving supplies except for the occasional custom brush, and I am focusing on actually using my gear now.

Very nice. :)

Your signature just reminded me...been meaning to try Tabac, as it's been on my 'must try' list for a whole month! :)

(And great tip on the vacuum-sealed bags, sir. Thanks!)

Haha, I think I had a Freudian slip concerning the last sentence. What I meant to say was that I have stopped purchasing shaving supplies except for the occasional custom brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom