Great kit! The GEM MMOC is an awesome razor! :thumbup:

Nice when the "old folks" can still keep up! ;) :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210711_101801~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (6)
Brush: Shavemac Butterscotch Beagle (Shavemac 22x46 2-band Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne Splash
20210711_101916~2.jpg

The Vector is efficient, smooth and very, very effective! :thumbup:

Superb razor! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Schick Proline (7)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Lather: TFS Rasozero - Barbacco
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne Splash
shave 20210725_111835_2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210726_153817_2.jpg

Razor: Jones Shake Sharp v1
Blade: Bolzano (2)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
hardware 20210726_154037_2.jpg

Tried the Jones Shake Sharp v1 today with a Bolzano blade and was very pleasantly impressed. The angle is intuitive and ends up slightly steeper than is used with a GEM razor. The combination works quite well and is efficient, smooth and effective! Such a cool razor! :thumbup:

Wonderful shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210801_110911_2.jpg

Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Cella Extra Extra Bio
Aftershave: Original Stetson
Fragrance: Original Stetson

With the SB or OC plates and using a variety of blades, the Vector is my favorite SE AC Safety razor :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Aftershave: Brut Classic
shave 20210802_160004_2.jpg

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is, in my opinion, the "Gillette Tech" of the GEM SE razor world. Mild and smooth. Medium+ effective. Takes an extra pass but the Featherweight Deluxe still removes my whiskers without any irritation. Really cool GEM razor! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Feather Professional AC Proguard (6)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Original Stetson
Fragrance: Original Stetson
20210808_114914~2.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Feather Professional AC Proguard (7 and retired)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (Heritage Manchurian knot)
Lather: Tabac (vegan)
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20210811_141850~2.jpg

Superb razor! :cool:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Very interesting thread, David. I enjoyed watching you fall in love with your Vector. It's exciting when that happens. I wish the thread would stay active.... there are more of us AC blade razors users here are B&B.

I'm about to start on my quest for the best blade for my ESC Claymore Evolution.. All the blades show up Saturday except for one variety. I had to buy that one (one of the Kai Captain offerings) from Amazon to avoid shipping charges. I won't be trying any of the more aggressive blades from Feather. I have used the ProGuards and the ProSoft Guards.... I prefer the ProGuards but I'm very anxious to get a P-30 in there and see how it works for me....along with the 3 variety of Kai Captain blades.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Very interesting thread, David. I enjoyed watching you fall in love with your Vector. It's exciting when that happens. I wish the thread would stay active.... there are more of us AC blade razors users here are B&B.

I'm about to start on my quest for the best blade for my ESC Claymore Evolution.. All the blades show up Saturday except for one variety. I had to buy that one (one of the Kai Captain offerings) from Amazon to avoid shipping charges. I won't be trying any of the more aggressive blades from Feather. I have used the ProGuards and the ProSoft Guards.... I prefer the ProGuards but I'm very anxious to get a P-30 in there and see how it works for me....along with the 3 variety of Kai Captain blades.
Thank you for your kind feedback. :)

I plan on updating several of my comments on the SE razors. Plus, I still need to pick up a Claymore Evo. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220906_043129~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Aluminum SE1 (ATT Aluminum Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: @apshaveco Black Green (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Face Lathered
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
20220906_043252~2.jpg

The ATT Aluminum SE1 pairs up nicely with the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade. Medium efficient. Smooth. Not as effective as the Vector or The General. Still, a nice enjoyable shave! :thumbup:

Excellent razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11918746

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220901_143634~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors SS Vector SB (GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: RazoRock Plague Doctor
Aftershave: RazoRock Plague Doctor
Fragrance: Pino Silvestre Oud Absolute EdT Spray

The SS Vector SB is my favorite razor. The pairing with the Kai Protouch MG is a complete pleasure to use! :001_wub: :thumbup:
20220901_143810~2.jpg

Superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11912398

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220903_091225~2.jpg

Razor: Claymore Evolution (GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Feather Pro Super (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Lime Swirl (Shavemac D01 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The Claymore Evolution pairs really well with the Feather Pro Super. Kicks up the efficiency a notch or two and maintains a smooth feel. Still evaluating where the Claymore Evolution fits in my razor hierarchy. One thing for sure, this was the best blade pairing and shave to date with the Claymore Evolution! :thumbup:
20220903_091401~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11915011

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220904_112936~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

The General resides near the top of my Alpha Big Dog AC Blade razors, just behind the SS Vector SB. Medium/high efficient, highly smooth, medium++ nimble & maneuverable = a highly effective razor that is very predictable! :thumbup:
20220904_113042~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11916046

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220904_183525~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (8)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Aftershave: Brut Classic
Fragrance: Brut Original EdT Spray

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is mild and smooth, but still effective. Removes my whiskers without any irritation. Very cool GEM razor! :thumbup:
20220904_183611~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11917392

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220907_151047~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Sabre L2 (GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Personna GEM (1)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (Heritage Manchurian knot)
Bowl: Face Lathered
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
20220907_151122~2.jpg

The Sabre L2 is my Alpha Big Dog GEM blade razor and one of my top razors of any blade type! The GTC 25g handle complements the Sabre head beautifully. Efficient, smooth and very effective! :thumbup:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11920512

So, I've finally found my holy grail of razors. I suppose that this is the end of my RAD but somehow I don't think it will be.

I now have 4 razors that I use in fairly standard rotation. But not that often . . . see below for the best explanation.
  1. Razorock Hawk V3 - This is my daily driver and is a great shave but never gets me the coveted bbs, however that being said, it is definitely a very high 2 pass dfs. And, in a pinch, it is a stellar 1 pass ccs (close enough for government work anyway).
  2. King Cobra - This is typically my weekend razor where I'm chasing the coveted bbs. I have used it as a daily driver but it's a bit too aggressive for that. However, as a daily driver, I do get a very good 2 pass dfs (better than the V3 but more styptic is needed). This is an amazing 1 pass dfs razor, if needed. That being said, it's still too aggressive for me to use daily for more than 1 pass.
  3. Schick I1 - I use this typically when I travel and am not chasing the bbs. Quick, efficient, bloodless. But I really cannot get anything better than a ccs with this (or a dfs if I spend extra time with it). If I need a razor to shave with without having to tote around half my shave den, this is it.
  4. Blackland Sabre - I really love this razor and would love to shave with it more but the cost of the PTFE coated blades keep this razor out of my rotation.
FYI I use Kai Titan and Kai Titan Mild exclusively as they stay good and sharp without breaking my bank acct to buy them. I typically use the Titan Mild with the King Cobra and the Titan regular with the V3 and get a good 30 shaves before having to change the blade. I will typically shave with a razor until it cuts me in a place that I don't ordinarily cut (like the flat of my cheek or my upper lip).

Some other FYI if anyone wants to know is that I typically have a good hot shower before shaving. That is basically the only pre-shave I do. Soaps/Creams are typically decent quality (Tabac/CC/Proraso/Arko/B&M/Sterling etc...) and I typically favor a wetter shave (less soap, more water).

Now the issue is - - what do I do with all my old DE razors and blades :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So, I've finally found my holy grail of razors. I suppose that this is the end of my RAD but somehow I don't think it will be.

I now have 4 razors that I use in fairly standard rotation. But not that often . . . see below for the best explanation.
  1. Razorock Hawk V3 - This is my daily driver and is a great shave but never gets me the coveted bbs, however that being said, it is definitely a very high 2 pass dfs. And, in a pinch, it is a stellar 1 pass ccs (close enough for government work anyway).
  2. King Cobra - This is typically my weekend razor where I'm chasing the coveted bbs. I have used it as a daily driver but it's a bit too aggressive for that. However, as a daily driver, I do get a very good 2 pass dfs (better than the V3 but more styptic is needed). This is an amazing 1 pass dfs razor, if needed. That being said, it's still too aggressive for me to use daily for more than 1 pass.
  3. Schick I1 - I use this typically when I travel and am not chasing the bbs. Quick, efficient, bloodless. But I really cannot get anything better than a ccs with this (or a dfs if I spend extra time with it). If I need a razor to shave with without having to tote around half my shave den, this is it.
  4. Blackland Sabre - I really love this razor and would love to shave with it more but the cost of the PTFE coated blades keep this razor out of my rotation.
FYI I use Kai Titan and Kai Titan Mild exclusively as they stay good and sharp without breaking my bank acct to buy them. I typically use the Titan Mild with the King Cobra and the Titan regular with the V3 and get a good 30 shaves before having to change the blade. I will typically shave with a razor until it cuts me in a place that I don't ordinarily cut (like the flat of my cheek or my upper lip).

Some other FYI if anyone wants to know is that I typically have a good hot shower before shaving. That is basically the only pre-shave I do. Soaps/Creams are typically decent quality (Tabac/CC/Proraso/Arko/B&M/Sterling etc...) and I typically favor a wetter shave (less soap, more water).

Now the issue is - - what do I do with all my old DE razors and blades :)
Great rotation of SE razors! Thank you for contributing your experiences with these great razors! :)

Top Bottom