Razor: GEM MMOC (with 'blade bumps')
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (4)
Brush: @Graydog 'Chubby' w/TNS 26mm Full Moon Knot
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Black
Cologne: Al Rehab Silver

WTG & ATG. XTG touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The GEM MMOC (with 'blade bumps') is a wonderful SE razor. Efficient and smooth. Very appropriate for the 2nd Anniversary of Micromatic Monday! :thumbup:

Outstanding Micromatic Monday 2nd Anniversary shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
'The Veg' Wednesday Shave 20200722
20200722_145040~2.jpg

Razor: Jones Shake Sharp v2
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow (2)
Brush: TurnNShave (TNS 25mm Quartermoon Knot)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

WTG, ATG & XTG. Minor touch-up.

The Shake Sharp is a fine razor! 👍

Love 'The Veg'. :001_wub:

Wonderful shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200726
20200726_110612~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional Super (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: A&E Kaizen
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid followed by a dollop of CeraVe cream
Aftershave: A&E Kaizen
Cologne: Gender 2BU EdT Spray (clone of CK be)

This combination works really well together. Each component is a top flight experience and a pleasure to use. Outstanding results! 👍

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200727
20200727_145058~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe :001_wub:
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (5)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt (26mm Silver Synth) :001_wub:
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Cyril R. Salter Sublime Citrus
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Fine Italian Citrus
Cologne: Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe just flat out delivers excellent shaves every time I use it. Great razor! :)

SOTD: 7/28/20

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V-3A
Blade: Kai Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Craving Shaving 26mm Crave synthetic
Pre-shave: PAA Cube 2.0
Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Post Shave: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Star Jelly
Hyaluronic Acid

I am back to the OC from the A plate. Even though the solid A plate was more comfortable than the OC it just was not as efficient for me even with Prolines and Feather Pros.

20E69704-19C0-43C4-AA1C-6E5630E6E5EB.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
SOTD: 7/28/20

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V-3A
Blade: Kai Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Craving Shaving 26mm Crave synthetic
Pre-shave: PAA Cube 2.0
Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
Post Shave: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum Star Jelly
Hyaluronic Acid

I am back to the OC from the A plate. Even though the solid A plate was more comfortable than the OC it just was not as efficient for me even with Prolines and Feather Pros.

View attachment 1131827
Very nice! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
'The Veg Day Wednesday' Shave 20200729
20200729_071308~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial General v2 :001_wub: (Timeless TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline (4)
Brush: @Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (BOSS v1 24mm Knot)
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Colonial General v2/Schick Proline combination is as smooth and effective as it gets. I mean smooooooth. Comfortable, close, efficient. Really like the combination. 👍

Great Wednesday shave! :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200801
shave 20200801_112037_2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (5)
Brush: The Tech Hive Butterscotch Beehive (26mm Tuxedo)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: La Toja Cream
Aftershave: La Toja
Cologne: La Toja

WTG, XTG/ATG & XTG/ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The combination of the @Blackland Razors Vector and the Schick Proline has proven itself to be really quite special. Absolutely in the Top Tier of my Top Tier razors. Smooth, efficient, effective - outstanding razor!

Absolutely fricking great Saturday shave! :)

I stumbled across this thread today as a result of having ordered not one but two SE razors this week.I've got a vintage British-made GEM Ever Ready 1912 on its way, as well as a Razorock Hawk V2 (black anodised) with a pack of Kai Captain Mild blades.

Many thanks to @never-stop-learning for putting together such a great resource. This will be my first foray into the world of SE shaving so I look forward to being able to contribute some beginner's thoughts to this excellent thread.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I stumbled across this thread today as a result of having ordered not one but two SE razors this week.I've got a vintage British-made GEM Ever Ready 1912 on its way, as well as a Razorock Hawk V2 (black anodised) with a pack of Kai Captain Mild blades.

Many thanks to @never-stop-learning for putting together such a great resource. This will be my first foray into the world of SE shaving so I look forward to being able to contribute some beginner's thoughts to this excellent thread.

You are most welcome! :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of SE shaving. :)

Also need to get caught up.....I have more reviews to post. ;)

It looks like most of the razors in this thread are vintage so I thought I'd shake things up with something different (and something completely new to me).

Today's SOTD was my first ever SE shave:
  • Pre: Warm shower and soapy bloom water
  • Soap: London Oatcake Abysso
  • Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
  • Razor: Razorock Hawk V2
  • Blade: Kai Captain Mild (Pink)
I was a little nervous about my first SE shave but soon realised there was no need. I've still got to dial in my technique (getting the blade angle right feels strange!) but after three passes I am BBS almost all over, including under my nose and around my chin which are usually difficult spots for me.

I felt a bit of "dragging" during the shave so have been surprised to find that there's no soreness or irritation. In fact my face feels great. I'm definitely going to perservere with this for a couple of weeks and see how it feels once my technique is up to scratch.

A great introduction to SE shaving at a very reasonable price, I would certainly recommend it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It looks like most of the razors in this thread are vintage so I thought I'd shake things up with something different (and something completely new to me).

Today's SOTD was my first ever SE shave:
  • Pre: Warm shower and soapy bloom water
  • Soap: London Oatcake Abysso
  • Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
  • Razor: Razorock Hawk V2
  • Blade: Kai Captain Mild (Pink)
I was a little nervous about my first SE shave but soon realised there was no need. I've still got to dial in my technique (getting the blade angle right feels strange!) but after three passes I am BBS almost all over, including under my nose and around my chin which are usually difficult spots for me.

I felt a bit of "dragging" during the shave so have been surprised to find that there's no soreness or irritation. In fact my face feels great. I'm definitely going to perservere with this for a couple of weeks and see how it feels once my technique is up to scratch.

A great introduction to SE shaving at a very reasonable price, I would certainly recommend it.
Excellent review! 👍

Thank you for contributing. :)

The perceived "dragging" may be due to the razor's material (coated aluminium). I've never used Hawk v.2 but I've had a similar sensation with ECO and Lupo, all alu.

The perceived "dragging" may be due to the razor's material (coated aluminium). I've never used Hawk v.2 but I've had a similar sensation with ECO and Lupo, all alu.
Ah thanks, that's helpful. I have never had the same sensation with my stainless steel razors (albeit they are DE) so there could be something in this. Even more reason to upgrade to a Hawk v3 or my absolute grail razor, the Blackland Vector.

I have a SS Mongoose, a King Cobra, and a Schick L1 (I think) and they are all fantastic razors. However, the only blades that I've ever used are the Schick (Chick) and Feather Pro. That being said, I find that the King is far more aggressive than the Mongoose. That is far different from all the reviews I've ever read about it. I'm considering trying to Kai mild blades or the Schick Proline. Any suggestions (other than "try them all!"?

And I've not ever tried any Gem style single edge razors and these reviews are really helping me decide whether or not I want to try one. Thanks!

Top Bottom