What's new

Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison

This head goes great with a titanium handle. It's weird with a stainless boat anchor.

Hi @geaterofdo,
Would you mind giving me some opinions about a titanium handle.
However, I am afraid a titanium one may be a bit too light.
Does an aluminum SE1 need a hefty handle to add some aggressiveness?
Thanks a lot.

Hi @geaterofdo,
Would you mind giving me some opinions about a titanium handle.
However, I am afraid a titanium one may be a bit too light.
Does an aluminum SE1 need a hefty handle to add some aggressiveness?
Thanks a lot.
Titanium weight is midway between steel and aluminum. Since I find steel too heavy and aluminum too light, I think it's perfect. Grab one of those Italian Barber Ti Halos or one the Tibam offerings on ebay. Those are cheap enough to try it out and the Tibam can be resold easily if you don't like it. I find the SE1 aggressive enough to not need a bunch of weight.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200514
20200514_084257~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Featherweight Deluxe
Blade: Personna GEM (5)
Brush: Edwin Jagger 25mm Silvertip Fiber Synthetic
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The GEM Featherweight Deluxe is smooth, nimble, effective and a complete pleasure to use.

Finally got my Vitos Extra Super Coco delivered. Great soap! Brush loaded easily, face lathers easily, nice slick lather. :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200515
20200515_151505~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Junior G Bar, @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (6)
Brush: @Graydog 26mm Full Moon Synthetic
Soap: Vitos Extra Super Coco
Aftershave: Clubman Osage Rub
Cologne: Bootlegger's El Dorado

DFS++ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The GEM Junior G Bar joins the wonderful Featherweight Deluxe as my favorite GEM razors. The Junior G Bar, like the Featherweight Deluxe is smooth, nimble, effective and a complete pleasure to use.

The @camoloc handle is perfect for the Junior G Bar. Really dials in the balance and control. Thank you!

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200517
20200517_112012~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, TiBam Titanium "Antique" Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (6)
Brush: Ever-Ready 100 w/24mm OUMO Knot
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat ("Once you've had 'The Fat', you never go back" ;))
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Cologne: Guerlain Vetiver

DFS++ bordering on BBS with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Outstanding shave! Consistent excellence, in my opinion and to my face, from the RR Hawk V3-OC/Kai combination. :)

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200518
20200518_081411~2.jpg

Razor: Kampfe Star Jewel, @camoloc Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave Chess Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat/Cremo combination
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Cologne: Primitive Man Eau de Toilette Spray (Sauvage clone)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Moderate touch-up.

DFS with one minor weeper, no nicks, cuts or irritation.

Shaving with the Kampfe Star Jewel was a bit of a challenge without a Wedge Blade and using a standard GEM blade without a Wedge Adapter. Even using a very shallow angle, it was a challenge. I ended up shimming the back of the blade with a paperclip and was able to complete my shave much more comfortably and effectively.
20200518_095417~2.jpg
20200518_095457~2.jpg

The paperclip was really not an optimal solution. To really get the best out of this razor, it deserves a Wedge Adapter (already ordered from Etsy) or, better yet, a properly honed Wedge Blade.

I like this razor and want to give it a fair shake. As soon as I get my Wedge Adapter in, I will be shaving with the Star again. :)

YMMV :)

Shave 20200518
View attachment 1101756
Blade: Personna GEM (7)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave Chess Synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat/Cremo combination
Cologne: Primitive Man Eau de Toilette Spray (Sauvage clone)

WTG, XTG & ATG. Moderate touch-up.

DFS with one minor weeper, no nicks, cuts or irritation.

Shaving with the Kampfe Star Jewel was a bit of a challenge without a Wedge Blade and using a standard GEM blade without a Wedge Adapter. Even using a very shallow angle, it was a challenge. I ended up shimming the back of the blade with a paperclip and was able to complete my shave much more comfortably and effectively.
View attachment 1101760View attachment 1101761
The paperclip was really not an optimal solution. To really get the best out of this razor, it deserves a Wedge Adapter (already ordered from Etsy) or, better yet, a properly honed Wedge Blade.

I like this razor and want to give it a fair shake. As soon as I get my Wedge Adapter in, I will be shaving with the Star again. :)

careful during the "de-spining" process!!!!!

camo

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
careful during the "de-spining" process!!!!!

camo
Thank you for the reminder.

From what I am gathering, I'll cut a business card sized refrigerator magnet in half to sandwich the business side of the blade and give me a safe place to hold the blade while I pull the spine off of the blade.

Something like that. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200524
shave 20200524.jpg

Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (7)
Brush: Yaqi R1818 Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger
Soap: RazoRock Blue Fougère
Aftershave: RazoRock Blue Fougère
Cologne: Lagerfeld Classic

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

First shave with the Colonial General V2. Most impressive razor. Smooth and effortless. A hair less efficient than the RR Hawk V3-OC using the Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard blade - a very mild blade. Next shave with the General, I will use a non-guard Schick, Feather or Kai, which I think may just be perfect with the General!

Excellent razor that is highly thought of for all the right reasons. :)

I've got or used extensively the Asylum RX, Ikon MR SE, SE2, Alumigoose, original Mongoose, Vector and 1st generation Colonial General in stainless. The General is the best performer, in my hand. I usually use a Feather Pro.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've got or used extensively the Asylum RX, Ikon MR SE, SE2, Alumigoose, original Mongoose, Vector and 1st generation Colonial General in stainless. The General is the best performer, in my hand. I usually use a Feather Pro.

Thank you. Please add your reviews for the wonderful razors you listed!

I would love to read them and compare to my impressions. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Memorial Day - Always Remember! 🇺🇸

Micromatic Monday Shave 20200525
shave 20200525.jpg

Razor: GEM Jr. Parade, Baton Handle
Blade: Personna GEM (8)
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm 2-BED Synthetic
Soap: Haslinger Ringelblumen
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman Musk

DFS+ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The GEM Jr. Parade with Baton Handle may not be the most efficient GEM but it is a very intuitive and natural shaving razor. Nice, mellow and comfortable shave. :)

Outstanding Memorial Day shave!

Thank you. Please add your reviews for the wonderful razors you listed!

I would love to read them and compare to my impressions. :)

I will, David, but it may be a week or two. I keep an eight-razor rotation on my counter, and six of them are currently DEs. I don’t replace the rotation until the blades in all eight have died. I shave every day, but all eight have at least a couple of shaves left.

I’ll try to find all six of the AC blade razors I still have (I sold the Mongoose to a fella who specifically asked if I would sell it to him), among the nooks and crannies of my disastrous storage system, and line them up for my next rotation. I also have a ton of Schicks and Gem blade razors, but I’ll focus first on AC razors.

I can say unequivocally that the Vector is my mildest AC razor (which loves a Feather Pro Super), and the Asylum RX is the most aggressive (which is the only one I’m willing to use with a guarded blade).

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I will, David, but it may be a week or two. I keep an eight-razor rotation on my counter, and six of them are currently DEs. I don’t replace the rotation until the blades in all eight have died. I shave every day, but all eight have at least a couple of shaves left.

I’ll try to find all six of the AC blade razors I still have (I sold the Mongoose to a fella who specifically asked if I would sell it to him), among the nooks and crannies of my disastrous storage system, and line them up for my next rotation. I also have a ton of Schicks and Gem blade razors, but I’ll focus first on AC razors.

I can say unequivocally that the Vector is my mildest AC razor (which loves a Feather Pro Super), and the Asylum RX is the most aggressive (which is the only one I’m willing to use with a guarded blade).
Thank you. I look forward to your reviews. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Single Edge Sunday Shave 20200531
shave 20200531_104643.jpg

Razor: Colonial General V2
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (5)
Brush: @Rudy Vey AS3M, 25mm Muhle STF
Soap: RazoRock Blue Fougère
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave: RazoRock Blue Fougère
Cologne: Lagerfeld Classic

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Second shave with the Colonial General V2, this time with the Feather Artist Club Professional. Great combination - smooth and effortless. Excellent razor that, along with the RR Hawk V3-OC, resides at the top of my AC razor selection. :)

Very relaxing and excellent shave!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200601
20200601_151045~2.jpg

Blade: Personna GEM w/Wedge Blade Adapter (1)
Brush: @Graydog 26mm Silver Synth Synthetic
Soap: Zingari Man 'The Wanderer'
Bowl: Bamboo
Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: @OkieStubble Bootlegger's El Dorado

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS with zero weepers, nicks or cuts. Minor irritation.

Used the one piece Wedge Adapter which fits under the blade. I did not de-spine the GEM blade as, in my opinion, the blade angle looked ok with the spine in place.

The shave was much better with the Wedge Adapter than without, although still not as smooth or efficient as the GEM Jr. G Bar which resulted in minor irritation between my nose and upper lip.

I did not force the issue trying for BBS and got a nice, solid DFS with no blood letting.

So where does this leave the Kampfe Star Jewel? Still testing and experementing. Next, I will try the two-piece Wedge Adapter with a de-spined GEM blade and see how that works. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200602
20200602_101323~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM (2)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers, 24mm Maggard SHD Knot
Soap: Zingari Man, 'The Wanderer'
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger
Cologne: Classic Match Homme Eau de Toilette Spray (Belcam version of L'Homme)

DFS++ (really close to BBS) with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Incredible Soap + Incredible Razor = Incredible Shave. It sure is fun when all the components of the shave come together. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I did this comparison of Everready 1914(little lather catcher Vs Everready 1924(Shovel head) around Sept 2019 thought you might like to see this.
Ever Ready  1914 LLC mfg 1914-17 (2).jpg

Everready 1914 (Little lather catcher, LLC ) mfg 1914-17

Weight:
1.8 oz (52 grams)

Blade Gap: .017 thousands of a inch (.432 mm)

Blade Exposure: Positive

Blade used: GEM Personna SS PTFE

Material: Brass head coated with Nickel alloy + steel handle with Nickel alloy coating.

Handling: One of the easiest razors to use possibly that uses a GEM blade IMO.
Results were stellar and smooth with very little irritation and that is a bonus for most of us. I never really felt threatened at all while into the 1st shave.

Shave #2 , I liked this razor right from Shave #1 and decided to put it right a way into the E.R slide maneuver 3 or 4 times, tried some buffing with no problems and “J” hooking maneuver was pleasant. Results CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicated no irritation.

Shave #3, I decided to try adding a little more pressure to razor while stroking my face (A NO,NO for some) and it still gave enough protection also to give me a CCS,DFS,BBSwith buffing the troubled areas with no issues. Alum block indicated no irritation and after a few minutes of skin rest looked like my normal complexion.

Shave #4, Good all a round shave with nothing dramatic. I find this razor excellent for buffing. Results CCS,DFS,BBS & Alum block indicating minimal irritation.

Shave #5 was a easy going shave, I find the razor will take a little pressure with out biting and smoothness is excellent.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS & alum block indicated minimal irritation. Razor is indicating a excellent daily driver potential.

Shave #6, this razor for it time period must of been a hot seller in sales because it performs well with a modern Gem blade with the thinner spline, Everready were promoting their blades like Corrux & Radio blades with much thicker splines for the time period. Just great Audio feed back as if cuts whiskers and can be used to make slight adjustments as the shave proceeds making another positive for the razor.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS & Alum block indicates minimal irritation.

Shave #7 is the last shave before I start using the ER 1924 shovel head model for another 7 consecutive shaves of daily shaving. I will install a new blade to see how it behaves for 1st shave. Gem blades are one of the sharpest blades on the planet and 1st have can be a little rough sometimes.
The shave went well and no big surprizes and I felt I knew the chartristics of this razor well and just did a routine great shave with a new blade installed.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating a minor irritation around the chin area today =:thumbup:

Conclusion : The Everready 1914 LLC is a great razor and will give the operator a smooth and close shave with reasonable hand technique. ER 1914 razor is also a excellent daily driver that is a important characteristic to some of us. The quality of the razor is very high and coatings are excellent and thick to stand the test of time.(over 100 yr old razor)
This razor has no blade overhang that is another plus and for trapping water inside the head when rinsing was not a issue for myself or tens of thousands of others. Installing and removing blades was not a issue, just hold it flat and level and slowly raise the cap to release spring pressure on the blade. Audio feed back is good and some like that- myself included because it signals possible clean up areas or missed areas. Expect shaves to be CCS,DFS,BBS range with reasonable hand technique with minimal irritation to make your shaving a great experience. I’m very happy to add this ER 1914 to my razor rotation and look forward to using it when I pick the ER 1914 up for another shave in the future.
Everready show down betwwen the 1924 Shovel head and the 1914 Little lather catcher (2).jpg

Everready 1924 aka (Shovel head)razor MFG 1924-33

Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead mfg 1924-33 (2).jpg

Weight:
2.5 oz (71 grams) with the streamline handle
Blade Gap: .016 thousands of a inch (.406 mm)
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE
Blade exposure: Positive
Material: Head is brass and nickel alloy coated, Handel brass + nickel alloy coated
Handling: Easy to hold in the hand but needs a little more steeper approach than compared to most Gem razors.
Use only razor weight or slightly more or it will let you know .

Shave #2 went reasonable well with a lot of confidence with the ER 1924 model, I put the razor into the ER slide maneuvers, “J” hooking maneuvers and buffing also with no problems along with using a good soap(Haslinger Schamilch) Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum block indicating some irritation & no weepers=:001_rolle

Shave #3 indicates slightly more aggressive or not as smooth as the ER 1914 IMO. Shave was reasonable all said and still dialing in the razor.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicated some irritation around the jaw line, over shaving more than likely=:001_unsur

Shave #4 Shave was great because I have the ER 1924 dialed in with no issues.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating no irritation =:001_rolle

Shave # 5 was a good one and I concluded that I was applying a little to much pressure on 1st couple of shaves because the Razor with my dialed in hand technique are giving desired results.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicating no issues =:001_rolle

Shave #6 was excellent with no weeper or nicks, All my passes are 1st WTG + 2nd ATG followed with a clean up pass under the jawline usually. With the right hand technique the razor performs well when dialed in to give my type of shave CCS,DFS,BbS + alum block indicating nothing.=:001_rolle

Shave #7 Another great shave that was in my desired range. Arko stick soap gave good protection and the razor did the rest with myself behind the controls.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS +Alum block indicating no issues =:001_rolle

Conclusion: The Everready 1924 razor is a decent razor for giving excellent results and with nice audio feed back while shaving that some of us enjoy.

It can be challenging at first until you dial it in, folks are always opinionated on the first shave results and with this razor it took about 3 shaves to dial it in to my desired results. The side taps on the base plate for holding down blades from previous generations of blades with out the notch on the side of the modern GEM blades, I bent them slightly forward towards the blade keepers just so the blade seats better IMO with no issues.

You can expect results in the CCS,DFS,BBS range for a medium growth type of beard as my beard is. Buffing and “J” hooking maneuvers with ER slide maneuvers can be handled with ease.

The razor can be used as a daily driver for those who like to shave daily and that is also important razor characteristic with good audio feedback while shaving.

I found the the ER 1924 shovel head razor gave a pleasant shave most of the time with reasonable hand technique and I’m glad to add it to my ever growing collection of razors.(ER 1924 razors can be purchased at a discount price compared to others.)
The razor is a mid range razor with good efficiency.
Everready 1914 VS Everady 1924 Samsung1 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom