What's new

Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200510
shave 20200510.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-A
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (3)
Brush: @Graydog 26mm Silver Synth
Cream: La Toja
Post-shave: Dickinson's Hydrating Toner
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: La Toja
Cologne: Preferred Stock

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

Shave number two with the RR V3-A/Feather AC Pro blade combination is as close, comfortable and (dare I say it) effortless as yesterday's shave. Synergistic combination. As stated yesterday, I feel that I can get consistent DFS or better shaves with this combination.

YMMV

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200511
20200510_212448~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, 2-piece Halo Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (5)
Brush: AP Shave Co. 24mm SynBad
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Cologne: Original Stetson

BBS (Bride Approved) with zero weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

The RazoRock Hawk V3-OC is an excellent razor. Efficient and very effective without being aggressive or brutal.

My coarse, wiry, gray and very chaotic Southern Italian beard grows in very different directions depending on which part of my face I am shaving. I have found that a 4-pass routine (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG followed by minimal touch-up on my jaw line, chin and upper lip) provides very consistent and repeatable DFS-BBS results.

I pretty much shave daily. The razors I use consistently must be efficient without being aggressive. The razor MUST be able to manage my standard no pressure 4-pass shave without shredding my face.

The RazoRock Hawk V3-OC passed the test on the first shave. Now to see how it holds up over the next few shaves. :)

YMMV

From the photo and from these reviews, it would seem that you have every SE razor I've heard of plus a whole bunch that are new to me. I have, and have had, a few but I'm still searching for the perfect combination of efficiency and comfort. The Hawk V3 with the standard plate didn't meet my efficiency needs. I tentatively plan to get the Hawk OC, but I thought I would first see if I could draw upon your expertise. I have three SE's that are admirably efficient and which I enjoy using, the Enoch, a recently acquired stainless steel Mongoose, and an MMOC. If you had to pick one (or maybe two) single edged razors that you think are more efficient than those three, what would it be? Would the Hawk V3 OC be one of them?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
From the photo and from these reviews, it would seem that you have every SE razor I've heard of plus a whole bunch that are new to me. I have, and have had, a few but I'm still searching for the perfect combination of efficiency and comfort. The Hawk V3 with the standard plate didn't meet my efficiency needs. I tentatively plan to get the Hawk OC, but I thought I would first see if I could draw upon your expertise. I have three SE's that are admirably efficient and which I enjoy using, the Enoch, a recently acquired stainless steel Mongoose, and an MMOC. If you had to pick one (or maybe two) single edged razors that you think are more efficient than those three, what would it be? Would the Hawk V3 OC be one of them?
I have not shaved with the Enoch (although I have shaved with the original Occam's Razor) or the Mongoose.

If the Enoch is anything like the original Occam's Razor, it is on the milder side of the spectrum.

The MMOC is one of the most efficient SE razors out there. One you master the art of shaving steep with the MMOC, it will reward you with extremely close shaves. The MMOC is a justifiably (in my opinion, at least) well respected razor that can hold it's own against newer and more costly competition.

Is the RR Hawk V3-OC more efficient than the GEM MMOC? Using the Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard in the V3-OC, my opinion is no, it is not. I'll be using a Feather Artist Club Professional blade for my V3-OC shave tomorrow to compare.

The MMOC can be a difficult daily shaver for some folks because it is very efficient and your technique needs to be refined to take advantage of the benefits.

The RR V3-OC is an absolute pleasure to use and provided me with a close, comfortable BBS shave.

I really like both of these razors because they are different and offer different shaving experiences.

Ultimately, your beard, skin and preferences will guide you to the right razor for you. :)

Hope this helps.

YMMV :)

I have not shaved with the Enoch (although I have shaved with the original Occam's Razor) or the Mongoose.

If the Enoch is anything like the original Occam's Razor, it is on the milder side of the spectrum.

The MMOC is one of the most efficient SE razors out there. One you master the art of shaving steep with the MMOC, it will reward you with extremely close shaves. The MMOC is a justifiably (in my opinion, at least) well respected razor that can hold it's own against newer and more costly competition.

Is the RR Hawk V3-OC more efficient than the GEM MMOC? Using the Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard in the V3-OC, my opinion is no, it is not. I'll be using a Feather Artist Club Professional blade for my V3-OC shave tomorrow to compare.

The MMOC can be a difficult daily shaver for some folks because it is very efficient and your technique needs to be refined to take advantage of the benefits.

The RR V3-OC is an absolute pleasure to use and provided me with a close, comfortable BBS shave.

I really like both of these razors because they are different and offer different shaving experiences.

Ultimately, your beard, skin and preferences will guide you to the right razor for you. :)

Hope this helps.

YMMV :)
Thanks for the detailed response. The Enoch is a razor you might want to try; it is nothing at all like the original Occam's razor, which I found to be too mild. It is at least as efficient as the MMOC (for me). I can, and have, used the MMOC daily; I took it on a week-long trip and had no issue using it daily. I do a lot of "side by side" comparisons where I use one razor for the right side of my face and another one for the left. From repeated tests, I have concluded that it doesn't matter on which side a razor is used to fairly judge the results. So far, the Mongoose is the winner, and I have only used it a handful of times. I expect the performance will only improve. That said, the Enoch is my favorite so far - mostly because it is nearly as efficient and seems to be a better weight for me. I just weighed my favorite SE's along with my favorite DE for comparison purposes. Here's what I found:

Mongoose 4.44 oz.
Muhle Rocca 2.85 oz.
Enoch 2.80 oz.
MMOC 2.36 oz.

The very thin handle and light weight of the MMOC makes it less satisfying for me to use. I think the sweet spot for me in terms of weight is in that 2.8 - 2.9 range, where you find the Enoch and Rocca.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the detailed response. The Enoch is a razor you might want to try; it is nothing at all like the original Occam's razor, which I found to be too mild. It is at least as efficient as the MMOC (for me). I can, and have, used the MMOC daily; I took it on a week-long trip and had no issue using it daily. I do a lot of "side by side" comparisons where I use one razor for the right side of my face and another one for the left. From repeated tests, I have concluded that it doesn't matter on which side a razor is used to fairly judge the results. So far, the Mongoose is the winner, and I have only used it a handful of times. I expect the performance will only improve. That said, the Enoch is my favorite so far - mostly because it is nearly as efficient and seems to be a better weight for me. I just weighed my favorite SE's along with my favorite DE for comparison purposes. Here's what I found:

Mongoose 4.44 oz.
Muhle Rocca 2.85 oz.
Enoch 2.80 oz.
MMOC 2.36 oz.

The very thin handle and light weight of the MMOC makes it less satisfying for me to use. I think the sweet spot for me in terms of weight is in that 2.8 - 2.9 range, where you find the Enoch and Rocca.

Thank you. Please consider contributing to this thread your reviews of the Mongoose, The Enoch, the MMOC and any other SE razors you have/use. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200512
20200512_095307~2.jpg

Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (4)
Brush: Epsilon 28mm Silvertip Fibre
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Cologne: Classic Match Blue Eau de Toilette Spray (Polo Blue clone)

Changing blades to the Feather Artist Club Professional kicked the efficiency of the RazoRock Hawk V3-OC up another level, but at the cost of some of the smoothness of the Kai blade. Still efficient and very effective without being overly aggressive, however my daily 4-pass routine (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG followed by minimal touch-up on my jaw line, chin and upper lip) would be a bit much as a daily shaver with this combination.

The RazoRock Hawk V3-OC passed the more aggressive blade test. All in all, though, the Kai matches up better with the V3-OC for every day use and the Feather might possibly be better for multiple days of growth.

The V3-OC is an excellent razor that is now a permanent resident in my Den. :)

YMMV

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Shave 20200512
View attachment 1099256
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (4)
Brush: Epsilon 28mm Silvertip Fibre
Aftershave: Epsilon Mediterranean Blue
Cologne: Classic Match Blue Eau de Toilette Spray (Polo Blue clone)

Changing blades to the Feather Artist Club Professional kicked the efficiency of the RazoRock Hawk V3-OC up another level, but at the cost of some of the smoothness of the Kai blade. Still efficient and very effective without being overly aggressive, however my daily 4-pass routine (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG followed by minimal touch-up on my jaw line, chin and upper lip) would be a bit much as a daily shaver with this combination.

The RazoRock Hawk V3-OC passed the more aggressive blade test. All in all, though, the Kai matches up better with the V3-OC for every day use and the Feather might possibly be better for multiple days of growth.

The V3-OC is an excellent razor that is now a permanent resident in my Den. :)

YMMV
So you seem to be indicating that the Kia Guard type blade is a better choice for daily shaving. That makes sense to me by altering the type of blade gets it in your sweet spot for your daily shave. How many shaves would you get with a Kia or Feather Guard style blade?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So you seem to be indicating that the Kia Guard type blade is a better choice for daily shaving. That makes sense to me by altering the type of blade gets it in your sweet spot for your daily shave. How many shaves would you get with a Kia or Feather Guard style blade?

I've completed 5 shaves on this Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard blade.

For daily shaving on my face, the V3-OC works best with the Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard blade.

Hi, @@never-stop-learning,
Thank you.
I am also quite stunned by SE1.
SE1 is a bit too heavy for me, but I really want to sacrifice any efficiency.
I am on the fence of getting an aluminum SE1 (with Atlas or Kronos handle).
If you could only pick one SE as a daily driver, which one?
I cannot appreciate your inputs enough.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you.
Are we discussing only AC style SE razors?

Are we discussing only AC style SE razors?
Thank you.
I haven't tried nearly as many razors as never-stop-learning nor have I tried any version of the SE1, but I have used at least a half dozen different AC razors. So far the most efficient for me has been the Mongoose, but if you found the SE1 to be too heavy, you won't like the Mongoose. A close second in efficiency is the Classic Shaving Enoch. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it weighs 2.80 ounces and is both extremely well balanced and very agile. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of loading a blade, but it's worth considering. The razor that most intrigues me is the Blackland Vector, but I am not (yet) willing to pay over $100 for a razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thank you.

Thank you for clarifying. :)

Right now, for AC razors, I would pick the RazoRock Hawk V3-OC and use either the 2-Piece Halo handle or a nice Titanium handle.

Reasons:

1. The V3-OC is not unwieldy in weight and size.

2. It is very maneuverable.

3. Flexible regarding shaving angle.

4 Able to dial in an effective range of efficiency by using different blades.

5. Won't break the bank.

6. Looks pretty cool. ;)

7. Great results! :)

I will get a Blackland Vector for comparison. It may displace the RR Hawk V3-OC as my ultimate favorite, but at three (or so) times the price.

Hope this helps. :)

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I shaved with an aluminum SE1 with a Schick Proline for the first time today. It was a great shave right out of the gate. I do have a Hawk V3-OC on the way too. I think that maybe it for me for a while. :) (Famous last words)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200513
20200513_140123~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-OC, TiBam Titanium "Antique" Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (5)
Brush: Rudy Vey B&B Contributors Tulip w/Boss v1 Synthetic Knot
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Changing blades back to the Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard was, for my face, a good move.

Lost a small degree of efficiency but the comfort and smoothness is more than worth it - in my opinion, at least.

My daily 4-pass routine (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG followed by minimal touch-up on my jaw line, chin and upper lip) resulted in an excellent BBS - without trying.

The V3-OC has moved to the head of the AC razors in my Den. :)

YMMV

Top Bottom